Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 321 of 420 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371 ... LastLast
Results 24,001 to 24,075 of 31490
    How is that suffering?

It's like going to Alton Towers. 90% of the day is queueing up, talking shit. Do you remember the conversations you were having during the hour long wait? Nope, you remember the 90 second thrill that followed.

Test cricket, it takes them a minute or so to faff about and deliver the ball. The batsman might think "nah" and just let it go past him, then they faff about again for a minute or so, then the next delivery. This happens a lot, with the occasional tap-and-run. Eventually, something happens. You obviously didn't see it, but the bowler went YAY to the umpire, the umpire sticks his pointy finger out, everyone goes batshit, their guy walks off the pitch. That's good. That's reason to drink up and get more beer.

Then the rain comes. The umpire stands around in the middle of the pitch while looking bemused. Military-trained groundsmen pull covers over the pitch like their lives depend on it. Everyone moans about British summers. More beer.

Maybe ten minutes later, the rain stops. Great, we can get on with things... in like half an hour, when we're certain the rain has stopped, and the few drops that did get on the pitch have dried up.

Eventually, we run out of time and call it a draw, even though we're winning by miles.

What's the problem? How is this not an excellent day out?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Britland created the batsman. 'Merica created the Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Still better than a lot of other national dishes. Like haggis, and moose bladder.
    Having had Haggis for the first time yesterday (and second today, probably third tomorrow) I can confirm that it's actually amazing. Really nice deep nutty savoury flavour.

I'll post a beautiful picture of my late breakfast when I cba getting it off my phone, was delightful.
    I don't particularly like nuts.
    ongies gonna ong
    Britland created the batsman. 'Merica created the Batman.
    This is unworthy of a mic drop gif.
    ongies gonna ong
    This is unworthy of a mic drop gif.
    It might be if Batman were a real thing rather than a fictional character.
    Eventually, we run out of time and call it a draw, even though we're winning by miles.
    So... you can avoid losing by either winning, or simply refusing to admit defeat?

The grand championship finals must be a real hoot. Is the original game still ongoing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    So... you can avoid losing by either winning, or simply refusing to admit defeat?
    You can avoid losing by running out of time. You've got five days. To win, not only do you have to have the most runs, you also have to bowl out the other team's batsmen. Twice.

It's difficult though to play for a draw, except where weather conditions are (un)favourable. There's only so much faffing about you can do. The "winning" team will likely declare their innings when they have enough runs... to decalre is to cede your remaining batsmen. Why would you do that when they can get more runs? Because you need to have enough time to bowl them out.

Time management is an important aspect of test cricket. Picking the right time to declare can be critical.

You can't simply refuse to admit defeat. You'd have to face the bowlers, and stop them getting you out. If you can do that for however long is left, then you're avoiding defeat.
    ongies gonna ong
    Basically, in the most extreme case, it's possible to have something silly like 600 runs from two innings, while the other team got 150 first inning and have put up 150/9 in the second innings. So team A have 600, and team B have 300 with one wicket left. The next batsman to get out will mean they are all out. So these last two batsmen need to get 300 runs to draw, 301 runs to win. If either of them loses their wicket before they reach this target, they lose.

Say there's two days left, and it rains solid. It's a draw. It doesn't matter how far ahead Team A was, how obvious it was that Team B had lost heavily, it's a draw because Team B did not get bowled out.
    ongies gonna ong
    Dem private streets, tho

And yeah, the vid is fucked, like psycho 3d or something
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Pretty funny.

Also, the third time Ana says 'yes' I just about came in my pants.
    Haggis confirmed good. Apparently the version served in most/all places now isn't by the traditional recipe (basically, the more stomach churning parts aren't included), but tastes good with neeps and tatties.

Test cricket confirmed good too, with most people not born in cricket playing countries enjoying it too live. I think that's largely because it involves some combination of drinking, singing, napping and doing a crossword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Dem private streets, tho

It's almost as if there is no straw man too ridiculous to resonate in an echo chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Haggis confirmed good. Apparently the version served in most/all places now isn't by the traditional recipe (basically, the more stomach churning parts aren't included), but tastes good with neeps and tatties.

Test cricket confirmed good too, with most people not born in cricket playing countries enjoying it too live. I think that's largely because it involves some combination of drinking, singing, napping and doing a crossword.
    My dad was in Scotland recently and brought some back from there, is the good traditional stuff. Tbh offal being a "bad" thing has got to be a fairly new idea, loads of cuisines use most of the stuff from animals and most of it is really nice. The only thing in it that might be a bit strange is lung and that's only because I can't really imagine eating lung by itself, the rest I would if prepared nicely.
    It's almost as if there is no straw man too ridiculous to resonate in an echo chamber.
    Dem buzzwords, tho

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Speaking of unintended consequences, I estimate that the single most harmful thing for the American healthcare system is the tax deduction for employment health insurance. This has basically shunted consumption of healthcare into the insurance field instead of the out-of-pocket field. Which results in less first-party payment and fewer (now non-existent) up front prices, which fuels the ridiculous growth in costs we have seen.

It's not the only problem, but if I could solve one thing, that's it. And it would have such a huge impact. Ideologically, it's something people on the left, right, and middle can get behind. Even though most people (and experts) agree that it should be eliminated in the abstract, when push comes to shove, few support it due to the regulatory capture by way of employees who currently benefit in the short term and insurance companies who benefit from it in total.
    So who's on the board of these insurance companies? Who are the shareholders?
    ongies gonna ong
    What do you mean?
    So who's on the board of these insurance companies? Who are the shareholders?
    Since you have to ask, obviously NOT you

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    What do you mean?
    He asked 2 questions. How can there be asserting meaning in a question?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    He asked 2 questions. How can there be asserting meaning in a question?
    Because the answer is employees and investors, which doesn't help explain anything, so I deduced that he was thinking of something more specific.
    Because the answer is employees and investors, which doesn't help explain anything, so I deduced that he was thinking of something more specific.
    Why do you obfuscate everything?
    You chose to answer the questions in non-specific terms, and there's nothing in his questions which says he wasn't being more specific.
    I mean... ongie can ask what he wants and I'm not trying to get in the middle of all of that, but damn...

Why you make everything something other than it is?
    I'm implying that the shareholders of insurance companies are in a position to influence policy.

You talk of "unitended conseuqences" like these people are too stupid to know what they're doing. If it's costing the average person more than it should, it's probably not an unintended consequence.
    ongies gonna ong
    Car ploughing through crowd of protesters, helicopter crash... just a regular day in Virginia?
    ongies gonna ong

Ecochamber?

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I'm implying that the shareholders of insurance companies are in a position to influence policy.

You talk of "unitended conseuqences" like these people are too stupid to know what they're doing. If it's costing the average person more than it should, it's probably not an unintended consequence.
    I see the confusion. I have used "unintended consequences" many times here regarding the unintended consequences of policies that people vote for. "Unintended consequences" is a common idea discussed by economists in this regard.

The companies themselves intend some of the negative (for everybody else) consequences, like you say.

Ecochamber?
    Yep. Two main ones here. Much in the Trump side do not discuss how Trump's action is harming Obamacare even more, and the other echochamber is exemplified by Cenk and Ana in that video, where they blame the coming problems with Obamacare on Trump's action. When we step outside of the echochambers and seek the truth, we see that Obamacare is bad policy and Trump is quickening the pace of its collapse.
    Last edited by wufwugy; 08-13-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    So if there's a bad policy, it's sound governance to replace it with a worse one?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

It hasn't been replaced. It was collapsing before the 2016 elections. The current Congress was elected to replace it. They have stalled on replacement at every turn. Having somebody in the White House who knows what it takes to kick Congress in the ass such that they finally listen to the people instead of insurance company lobbyists is a good thing.
    It hasn't been replaced. It was collapsing before the 2016 elections. The current Congress was elected to replace it.
    Umm, citation(s) needed.

Where do you get this?

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    So if there's a bad policy, it's sound governance to try to replace it with a worse one?
    There, ftfy

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Spend some time outside the media-Democrat complex.
    Spend some time outside the media-Democrat complex.
    That's right - it's all a conspiracy to make your boy look bad when he's really winning at everything.

He's winning so much he can go set the record for most holes of golf by a president in the first six months. He's winning so much he keeps failing to pass a health care bill and yet tries to claim every failure as a renewed victory. He's winning so much he goes through staff faster than Maccy D's. He's the master of 3d political chess and his record low approval ratings are all part of the plan to blindside his opponents with another shock win in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    He's the master of 3d political chess and his record low approval ratings are all part of the plan to blindside his opponents with another shock win in 2020.
    I don't think a win in 2020 would be a shock
    Tbf to Trump I struggle to think of anyone who will have been through all the shit he has been through as President (arguably mostly his own doing) and it not being all that of an issue.

The only thing that is a real issue is the Russia stuff and ultimately that isn't a vote loser.
    That's right - it's all a conspiracy to make your boy look bad when he's really winning at everything.

He's winning so much he can go set the record for most holes of golf by a president in the first six months. He's winning so much he keeps failing to pass a health care bill and yet tries to claim every failure as a renewed victory. He's winning so much he goes through staff faster than Maccy D's. He's the master of 3d political chess and his record low approval ratings are all part of the plan to blindside his opponents with another shock win in 2020.
    Such is the story if you listen to those who have been consistently wrong regarding politics over the last year.
    Such is the story if you listen to those who have been consistently wrong regarding politics over the last year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

It's just as, if not more stupid, to assume that the group that was right this time isn't also just chatting shit and getting lucky. I think when you realise that is mostly what happens you start to be able to piece together a much better picture of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Tbf to Trump I struggle to think of anyone who will have been through all the shit he has been through as President (arguably mostly his own doing) and it not being all that of an issue.

The only thing that is a real issue is the Russia stuff and ultimately that isn't a vote loser.
    It's a vote loser for the media-Democrat complex. Also notice that the moment the Russia stuff began unveiling that it was actually the Democrats who may have committed crimes, the media-Democrat complex's Russia narrative vanished overnight and hasn't returned.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

It's just as, if not more stupid, to assume that the group that was right this time isn't also just chatting shit and getting lucky. I think when you realise that is mostly what happens you start to be able to piece together a much better picture of things.
    Each time you have sent this link has not been an example of me utilizing the logical fallacy.

In this particular instance, it has nothing to do with claiming that because some people have a good (or bad) track record, they know what they are talking about for the future. It has everything to do with pointing out a heuristic problem and a echochamber problem. It would be a good idea to not bobblehead kowtow to the opinions of those who have a storied track record of consistently getting things wrong.
    Each time you have sent this link has not been an example of me utilizing the logical fallacy.

In this particular instance, it has nothing to do with claiming that because some people have a good (or bad) track record, they know what they are talking about for the future. It has everything to do with pointing out a heuristic problem and a echochamber problem. It would be a good idea to not bobblehead kowtow to the opinions of those who have a storied track record of consistently getting things wrong.
    Ohh, you're just unaware of what you're doing. Sorry, I assumed you weren't.

(What I'm always pointing out to you is the next step you're making which is exactly what you're accusing others of)
    Last edited by Savy; 08-14-2017 at 06:22 PM.

The fact that you hear both sides of the echochamber doesn't change the fact that you choose to believe one side and re-spout its nonsense as opposed to the other side's nonsense.
    Also forgot to mention that if you listen to pretty much any interview with Trump he's more or less incoherent on every topic. Just another way he's a great president though I'm sure.
    The fact that you hear both sides of the echochamber doesn't change the fact that you choose to believe one side and re-spout its nonsense as opposed to the other side's nonsense.
    That's not it. I pay attention to predictions and coherence of analysis. The anti-Trump echochambers have no idea at all what those predictions and analyses are, so when those predictions come true as they have been, those in the anti-Trump echochambers misread what is going on and claim the reason for the events are inconsistent with what the claims of the solid-at-analyzing Trump crowd has correctly predicted and analyzed.
    Last edited by wufwugy; 08-14-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Also forgot to mention that if you listen to pretty much any interview with Trump he's more or less incoherent on every topic. Just another way he's a great president though I'm sure.
    Echochamber. Please consume viewpoints you disagree with.
    Ohh, you're just unaware of what you're doing. Sorry, I assumed you weren't.

(What I'm always pointing out to you is the next step you're making which is exactly what you're accusing others of)
    Let's test your hypothesis: can you correctly explain to me what point I was making that you think is survivorship bias and what makes it survivorship bias?
    Last edited by wufwugy; 08-14-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    Let's test your hypothesis: can you correctly explain to me what point I was making that you think is survivorship bias and what makes it survivorship bias?
    If you can do the same with all the previous posts that ask you the exact same question. If you're confused I'm sure I can gather a selection, even a poll worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I have Discord but most of my friends use mumble so I'm not using it much. Creating a Discord group is no big deal, so there's no harm in trying. I'm oskar669 on Discord.
    Discord asks for "Enter a DischordTag#0000", what you gave didn't work. I'm Yvas#9207 if you want to add me.
    If you can do the same with all the previous posts that ask you the exact same question. If you're confused I'm sure I can gather a selection, even a poll worth.
    Dodge.
    Dodge.
    Sorry, I should give an empty message rather than one I can back up. Still would you like me to quote everyone you haven't given proper answers to?

Tbf I can do both that and what you're asking if you want.
    Have at it.
    Wuf... how you doing, buddy?

You seem frustrated and tired.

Kinda looking for a fight, even.

You all good?
    Good observation. I found out this weekend that a family member is a coke/alc addict whose secondary manifestation of addiction is breakdown of coherence in point-making. My reaction to that may be to more aggressively police adherence to reason coherence and the desire to keep it crisp with myself.

Sorry to hear it.
    Good observation. I found out this weekend that a family member is a coke/alc addict whose secondary manifestation of addiction is breakdown of coherence in point-making. My reaction to that may be to more aggressively police adherence to reason coherence and the desire to keep it crisp with myself.
    That sucks man. Hope he gets some help.
    Bigly. Huge

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Sorry to hear that.

All the best. Hope he/she finds a proper solution to get lasting help

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    I don't think a win in 2020 would be a shock

Wouldn't shock me either, as the democrats are helping you to do just that.

However, it is interesting that even republicans seem to be getting ready to run somebody else in place of Trump

http://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-2...n-trump-646994

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...tial-race-2020

I just hope the world can survive the NK crisis for however amount of years left the US has its own dear leader, as we all saw what power vacuums did in the middle east

Can't we just fucking have peace for a second?

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Bigly. Huge
    Ya, but that's echo chamber stuff.

Oh wait, it's raw data. Nvr mind.
    Wouldn't shock me either, as the democrats are helping you to do just that.

However, it is interesting that even republicans seem to be getting ready to run somebody else in place of Trump

http://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-2...n-trump-646994

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...tial-race-2020
    It has become hard to tell what stories are the cheese in the maze that the Trump administration puts out, and how much is the journalists making stuff up.

I just hope the world can survive the NK crisis for however amount of years left the US has its own dear leader, as we all saw what power vacuums did in the middle east
    Given how much more Trump has done in such a short time regarding effectiveness of deterring the NK problem, I am hopeful that by his 8 years are done, North Korea will no longer be a problem.
    BTW, thank you guys. I (we) are making some changes that will probably positively affect the usage. The addiction is mild, but the usage manifests such that it is a big problem.
    Ya, but that's echo chamber stuff.

Oh wait, it's raw data. Nvr mind.
    Do you know that there are many people for whom his speaking style is the most coherent of all those in political sphere?
    Given how much more Trump has done in such a short time regarding effectiveness of deterring the NK problem, I am hopeful that by his 8 years are done, North Korea will no longer be a problem.
    IDK how much to take as a learning experience from the John Oliver story on NK, but simply on the human interest side, you gotta appreciate (not like, it's good, but it has high impact) the indoctrination against the "American Devils." There was a cut-scene from an interview (?) with a school girl who escaped NK and she said that they taught her math like, "If there are 4 American oppressors and you kill 2 of them, how many American oppressors do you still need to kill?" That's some deep level indoctrination when you can't even learn math without having to curse some people you've never met.

When those children hear our President threaten their nation with "Fire and Fury" and then bolster it with "That statement may not have been strong enough," I find it hard to believe that we're winning any hearts and minds to our side.

If NK goes ballistic, it's not likely that America will be directly attacked. S. Korea, though, is gonna be fucked. I don't think that's going to be a positive thing for anyone involved... maybe NK gets the best of it for a short while, but there'll be a new Korean War, and China and Russia have STRONG interested in not letting the buffer zone that is NK becoming a strong American ally.

Time will tell, but I'm not seeing any dark rhetoric quelling other people's assumption that we are a dark people who want to destroy their (obviously wholesome) lives. I'm not saying their lives are wholesome or not... merely assuming that people who are just trying to raise their families and have no political interests (most people) will view their own lives as wholesome.
    I estimate that solving the NK problem is a negotiation with the leaders in North Korea, China, and Russia. I don't know if "fire and fury" was a good idea (I'm not nearly as good a negotiator as others I learn from), but the argument for it includes that (1) seasoned negotiators know that appearing crazy is one of the most powerful negotiation tools, (2) this is the first time an American leader has made the North Korean leaders visualize that they could actually lose (via burning), (3) Trump is pacing and leading Kim. Pacing takes away Kim's rhetorical upperhand while giving some respect to Trump. It leads into the ability for Trump to later lead Kim away from the rhetoric. Solving the NK problem will include all sides giving something up; pacing and leading is a strong tactic by which to do that since if Trump can pace Kim well enough, Kim will have an easy time of following Trump when he later leads Kim away from the rhetoric.

It appears that nobody on any side wants war. This is a complex power/economic struggle where weapons and rhetoric of war are used. The big problem is that it looks like it can lead to war (which it certainly could). Fortunately, the policy of appeasement that began with Clinton and continued with Bush and Obama is now finished.
    The NK leadership are a bunch of gangster negotiators. Here's what they just did:

After Trump said the "fire and fury" stuff, Kim escalated immediately to enveloping Guam in fire. Then after the Trump administration stood pat, Kim backed down from the Guam comment. This makes it look like Trump got a win and Kim got a loss, yet Kim didn't lose anything he wanted and Trump didn't win anything he wanted. Kim "backed down" to keeping the nukes and ICBMs, which is what he wants and Trump wants him to not have.
    I would far prefer to be in the NK situation than the US situation, regarding the negotiation. The only ways I see that NK's nuclear ambitions can be thwarted are (1) US military strikes or (2) harming China a nearly impossibly high amount in trade. I'm probably wrong though. There is probably a 3rd+ option(s).

One tactic that would be quite effective is Scott Adams' where Americans boycott the handful of American companies involved with China's trade. How to get people to care about that, I have no idea. It might take public knowledge that NK has ICBM and miniaturization of warhead enough that they can strike California.

If there isn't a non-military option, the longer we wait the worse it will be. I personally think that the US military could strike NK and NK would not respond with its mortars focused on Seoul. But if the mortars for Seoul are a bluff, the bluff has the utmost credibility that nobody wants to call it.
    Do you know that there are many people for whom his speaking style is the most coherent of all those in political sphere?
    Yeah these people are called "morons".

Didn't he misuse the word "nicely" while bragging about his English skills? Someone find me that clip, it's 10am here and I can't be fucked. Oh wait that means it's 5am there.

Keep sleeping, wankers.
    ongies gonna ong

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Yeah these people are called "morons".

Didn't he misuse the word "nicely" while bragging about his English skills? Someone find me that clip, it's 10am here and I can't be fucked. Oh wait that means it's 5am there.

Keep sleeping, wankers.
    The reason that some find him coherent has nothing to do with intelligence.

You've seen Arrested Development? Those who find Trump most coherent are those who consider the typical politician full of nothing but Bob Loblaw. It is much easier for Trump's supporters to say what Trump thinks about things than what the typical politician thinks.
    Is McGregor unconscious yet?
    Is McGregor unconscious yet?
    Who? Oh that Irish gobshite who cost me a fucking fiver?
    ongies gonna ong
    The reason that some find him coherent has nothing to do with intelligence.
    I realise he probably is coherent to Americans. I'm just a grammar Nazi. I wouldn't be surprised if "nicely" was perfectly acceptable in that context in American English, so it's not really a slight on Trump, more so all of your fucking country.
    ongies gonna ong
    Who? Oh that Irish gobshite who cost me a fucking fiver?
    You bet on him? lol.
    You bet on him? lol.
    140/1 on him going the distance and winning by unanimous decision... the odds tempted me. Floyd is getting on a bit and a I figured there's a chance Mac is fitter. I was wrong, but he competed enough to make me think it was +ev.
    ongies gonna ong
    People talk about how Floyd is the greater fighter, but the fact of the matter is, if he stepped into Conor's discipline, he'd get murdered.

Floyd executed his gameplan to perfection, and in that repsect totally outclassed an inferior boxer. But if it were MMA rules, Floyd wouldn't last a round. He's not the better fighter.
    ongies gonna ong
    140/1 sounds like a winning bet to me, you're definitely not rolled enough for those bets though.