Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How to analyse calling an all-in vs 2 opponents?

Default How to analyse calling an all-in vs 2 opponents?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

BB ($9.60)
    Hero (UTG) ($10.79)
    MP ($15.79)
    CO ($3.38)
    Button ($15.23)
    SB ($8.93)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J
    Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, CO raises to $3.38 (All-In), 1 fold, SB raises to $8.93 (All-In), 2 folds

Flop: ($7.16) 7, 8, K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($7.16) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($7.16) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $7.16 | Rake: $0.32

Does anyone know how to analyse this spot taking into account both players ranges, to see if calling is +EV?
    Erín Go Bragh
    It doesn't matter if there is only 1 player or 21 players, it's your equity to win (against all opponents) that matters. Use your favorite equity calculator and compare to pot odds.

I'd have a blasted hard time figuring exact equity against 2 villains' ranges, but I can easily figure, "I'm probably behind here and have n outs, which translates to ~2n% equity." Compare to pot odds and make the right choice.

EDIT: PRE the rule-of-2 doesn't apply so much, but when you have 2 outs per card, with 5 cards to see, there's ~2*2*5 = 20% chance to make a set, assuming no blockers.

I think JJ is an easy fold in this spot.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 04-13-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Thanks MMM,

So as a rough guide post flop you have your outs*2 = your equity?
    Erín Go Bragh
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-deuce View Post
    Nope, you take the number of outs you have and
    • multiply by 2 to get the approximate percentage of hitting with 1 card to come or
    • multiply by 4 with 2 cards to come
    don't want no tutti-frutti, no lollipop
    Rule of 2 and 4 is good for the flop and turn you can't really extend it to preflop.

You need to refine the rule of 4 a bit when you have lots of outs. For more than 8 outs, mutliply by 4 and then subtract the number of outs beyond 8. So if you have 12 outs otf, that's 4 outs beyond 8 and you have about
    12*4 - 4 = 48 - 4 = 44% equity.
    Virginity is like a bubble: one prick and it's all gone
    Ignoranus (n): A person who is stupid AND an assh*le
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-deuce View Post
    Thanks MMM,

Only when the equity is really low. With only 2 outs, or 4% per draw, the approximation holds pretty true. When it gets close to or over 50%, then the approximation fails badly.
    Like, AK vs QQ is close to 48% vs 52% equity, respectively, but if you try to use the approximation of 2% per out per draw, you'd come up with 6*2%*5 = 60% equity for AK, instead of 48%.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
    Rule of 2 and 4 is good for the flop and turn you can't really extend it to preflop.

You need to refine the rule of 4 a bit when you have lots of outs. For more than 8 outs, mutliply by 4 and then subtract the number of outs beyond 8. So if you have 12 outs otf, that's 4 outs beyond 8 and you have about
    12*4 - 4 = 48 - 4 = 44% equity.
    Agreed, severely limited use pre.

Just because I can't stress it enough: the rule of 4 only applies to all-in calls OTF. Otherwise, you should use the rule of 2 OTF as well.
    Here's a table I made with outs & percentages (verified against other online tables, so should be correct)

Shows how well the rule of 2 & 4 works.

Also note what MMM said
    Just because I can't stress it enough: the rule of 4 only applies to all-in calls OTF. Otherwise, you should use the rule of 2 OTF as well.