Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Teachable moment - 86s vs AQ: Which player had better notes?

Default Teachable moment - 86s vs AQ: Which player had better notes?

SETUP: private MTT on ACR, small game (80 players), $100.00 prize pool. It's early, level 1.

HERO: Me, of course!
    VILLAIN: a REAL @#$% MORON.

Do you keep notes on players? I do. And I always use it as a loose guideline. It was those notes of mine that allowed me to outplay a fellow who should have remembered that.....

I'm in the cutoff. It's folded around to me, I have 68 suited. I min-raise (blinds at 20-40, so 80). Well, it goes to the button, who proceeds to 3-bet it to 200.

What would you do? Well, I check my notes and sure enough, this guy has clear betting tells; I determine he has a big ace - AQ/AJ/; Per my notes, he most likely would flat my raise or shove if he had AA, and would have bet different with AK or a small/big pair as well. I also note that he is a uber calling station, a real donk with any PP or Ace. Also, he never changes gears.

So, I flat the extra 120, as the pot is now 340.00, giving me almost 3-1 for my call. Flop hits 9s10s2h. I have top pair. I'm first to act.

Now, I know this guy is a donk, and will call any bet I make up to/including the size of the pot, chasing either the spade flush or hoping to hit one of his overs. He just will not fold any Ace. So, knowing he could suck out, I simply shove. To my utter amazement, he snap calls my all in and shows - AQ offsuit.

No pair. No draw, except runner-runner and 2 overs. And he snap calls 1/2 his stack.

Well, he didn't hit his cards. And let me tell you, he was pissed. He was pissed that I would, first, raise in late position when folded to with 68 suited, pissed that "according to my notes, you bluff all the time" but wasn't this time; he just ragged on and on. He really showed he is a poker novice, at best.

So, what's the moral of this post? There are two:

1. Keep notes. And do not assume them cast in stone, but rather a guide. I compiled those few handy notes just watching, and noted that he called an all in for 1/2 his stack with only ace-high, and no draw. Also noted he still has not fixed his betting tells.

2. Remember others keep notes, track you on sharkscope, or whatever cheating software people use, so you need to change gears - do not become predictable. This fool was also dumb enough to tell me all of his notes on me, sarcastically, (which he could not even realize was telling him not to call my all in) and we all know - you never wise up a sucker! Now I even know what he thinks I'm doing, lol.

I have people who never call me and say they know I probably have it every time, and others who always call me who say they "know" I'm always bluffing my arse off. In other words, they have no clue when I bet if I got 'em beat, or not. In truth, sometimes I bluff the ones I know will easily fold, and felt the ones I know will call. Good luck guessing, right?

What do you guys think?
    Once You eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Paler View Post
    I have 68 suited.

Flop hits 9s10s2h. I have top pair.
    How is this again?

You're doing well insofar as you are taking notes and letting your reads guide you to make plays that are sub-optimal in a vacuum, but exploitative against specific Villains.

Your bet sizing may benefit from a re-think where you work on WHY you bet the amounts you bet, and how you can vary that to your advantage in various spots.

Ultimately, I think you are a fraction of a hair's length from what you are mocking. Villain's ego got him into a spot which was sub-optimal. He overestimated his own knowledge. Now you are bragging in a similar fashion as Villain about a very similar thing. You think your read on him is good and you are smart enough to take advantage of his weaknesses.

I think you will find yourself on the wrong side of that ego line if you aren't careful. It's ego that drives us to improve by telling us how great we can be. However, ego limits us from learning by telling us how great we already are.
    opening 68s early in a mtt doesnt seem that bright to meespecially with a fish still to act.
    calling a 3bet when you put him on a hand that has you crushed and you are playing the rest of hand OOP also doesn't seem to be the best play.
    posting the actual hand history may have given your story a bit more credibility ...or at least tied the cards to the action.
    calling tracking software cheating software also doesn't help your credibility.If you don't like that opponents have tracking software play on a site where the usefullness of the software is minimised ..i.e bovada/bodog for US/canadians and unibet/skypoker for rest of the world or anonymous tables on microgaming.
    Opening here is fine.

The 3bet size is on the small side so calling is okay. 240 is a fold, in between its tricky.