Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Poker Snowie

This software seems to still be a WIP, but does anybody have any more in-depth experience of using it? It seems interesting and could (in theory) end in NLHE becoming solved, but I'm sure it has a number of faults, particularly in assuming all villains are playing perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vLiVae8Y8

Also seems a tad expensive.
    It doesn't assume all villains play perfectly. It plays according to a trial and error strategy which was developed by letting it play against itself for millions of hands. Theoretically that could produce a pretty strong game, but since Snowie is restricted to using a fairly limited (and often bad) choice of bet sizing it means in practise that it assumes your opponents play horrifically in quite a few spots.

One example I have seen on 2p2 was a guy shoving a non-nut FH (using both holecards) on the river, and Snowie telling him it's a bad spot for a bluff.

What they have done here is very interesting, and Snowie2 could be pretty scary, but from what I have read there is not much danger of this solving NLHE yet.
    gabe: Ive dropped almost 100k in the past 35 days.

bigspenda73: But how much did you win?
    Ah, okay - I didn't realise the trial and error approach. The bet sizing seems particularly stupid (i.e. 2bb utg, raising to 4bb on the btn) and would make me concerned about the rest of the methodology used by the programmers.

That full house example sounds insane.