Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Tell me about Subletting

Default Tell me about Subletting

I'm sure out of all 40,000 of us someone has sublet and apartment or house at one point in time. I am not subletting my place, rather I am trying to find a place to live in another city for a couple months while I job hunt (lolrealworldaments).

What should I be looking out for, I figure it's pretty much the same as searching for an apartment, just on a truncated timetable.

Anyone have any past experiences good/bad they like to share.

I've been looking on Craigslist, are there better ways to find places. Do appt complexes actually have lists of people trying to sublet?
    Get the house inspected for hippies.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    if your experience is anything like a friend of mine had.....you're going to have lots of great (and sometimes semi-dangerous and scary) stories to tell.

p.s. he went through Craigslist btw, but he had to find a place in 48 hours -- not a couple months. and it was in Las Vegas. really, with two months time you should be able to find a person (or people) to live with that are normal.

Not that it really matter UG but I need to find the place in 2 weeks or so for a couple (2-3) months.
    The ones I saw were 2 bedroom places where the current tenets are gone and him moves in with a friend, FWIW.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    okay well just don't get involved with a couple that has a heroine/meth problem, and a third roommate that's a semi-famous DJ that throws raves at your house all the time, and everyone that shows up has more tattoos than their age and lots of piercings.

avoid stuff like that and you'll be okay

I am a property manager (landlord).

IMO, if the person seeking the sublet doesn't screen YOU (written application and asks serious questions) and require that YOU pay a partial security deposit, they're shady.

There are people who bounce from sublet to sublet because they are too unstable to commit to anything and/or cannot qualify for a lease of their own. Professional subletters. Always looking for reduced rent and no security deposit.

Treat it as if you are looking for a non-temporary place to live, and you'll avoid a lot of the bullshit problems later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by UG
    okay well just don't get involved with a couple that has a heroine/meth problem, and a third roommate that's a semi-famous DJ that throws raves at your house all the time, and everyone that shows up has more tattoos than their age and lots of piercings.

avoid stuff like that and you'll be okay
    Awesome
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    sorry don't really know much about slutbetting
    thanks for stopping by gmml, please come again

I've had to sublet a few times in NYC, but usually from friends of friends , and it worked out OK for me. When I did it, I had the whole place to myself, but if you are subletting a place that has roommates- you had better check them all out so you dont end up with a place like UG mentioned
    Beer is living proof that God loves and wants us to be happy- Benjamin Franklin
    I am checking this place out Tuesday

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sub/823479445.html

I think this will be the one, can sign a 3-month lease starting when I move in, $1100 is awesome in Dallas in a nice place with all utlities paid, cable and wireless internet and furnished.