Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

$1 Double or Nothin' Strat.

Default $1 Double or Nothin' Strat.

Hey guys,

I was wondering based on your experience what is the best way to play this type of tournament on PS.

I think it's ultra conservative, but I'm not sure if you can just sit out and let everyone else take each other out.

Your thoughts?
    Actually I'd suggest the opposite approach. The double or nothings tend to be full of rocks with a couple of maniacs (who tend to go out early). I would try to see a lot of cheap flops early and build up a stack to that when the blinds go up and the all-fest starts you can afford to lose a coin flip and still cash. If you don't hit anything you really won't be that much worse off than if you played tight. There is not that much difference between a 1300 stack and 1100 when the blinds start to hit 50/100. You only move is to push in either case. On the other hand, if you are able to double you stack in the first few levels, your odds of making the money should increase substantially.
    Dealem, you're thinking is pretty flawed I think. Yea, you can see a lot of cheap flops, but in my experience that's just wasting chips. When I played these when they first came out, the strat that worked best for me was conservative. I cashed in 12/15 of these. (Small sample, but I'm just proving my point.)

I would suggest to someone playing these regularly is to just nut camp til the blinds get up high enough, then start stealing. If you double up, just sit back and coast to the money, stealing blinds as you need to in position.
    Yeah, from my experience 50% of the time once you hit 3k, you're done, don't sit out though because once those blinds raise you can find yourself at the pointy end of the bubble.

Are there any other types of DoN besides the $1?
    There are higher staked one's up to $109's I think.
    hmm will try both methods think they both have good strategy
    Pretty hard this structure for me, am ITM at 50% of time, wich mean am loosing money cause the rakes...

Turbo have smaller rakes, but advantage a loose agressive style, and this style suck in DorN imo. More time you have, more chance you have to see donk killing themself, each others..

You need to survive, not making pile of stack, and cause you have 50% to win (half players win) am thinking if (cause rake) you should avoid preflop coin flop situation when playing a hand...

Say you have the pocket pair, and suspect AK for your opponent, you little favorite (dont know real % but...)

Am really thinking cause the fact you loose money if you get ITM 50%, that eliminate your lilttle advantage in coin flip situation...

Better to raise preflop, and make a stab in pot on flop, so your opponent is loosing him 50/50 in this way...

Amazing how many players call an all in with crap there... (when they think they are in coin flip situation), so better strat i think, to avoid this, is make a litle raise preflop, then bet the pot on flop, so, with only 2 cards to come, your opponent dont be in coin flip no more...

Avoid all in (coin flip) preflop, small ball and continuation bet seems work better, when you have position.

All ace suckers (in 1$ game) call an all with, i saw and get caught by A7-A9-AQ calling, and beat my AK, KK or QQ ^^
    I even saw 33 beat my KK with flush, this donk called my all in preflop, and i finished 6th ^^

We should use more our info tourney window i guess, keeping an eye on your player's position and on the chips average of players.

Under the average, you should use your fold equity imho and push any decent hand... Never limp, cause next time, you'll dont have fold equity, you'll be too small.

But when you above the chip average and have good position (say you at 3th or 4th position) you should stay calm, even folding good hand like AK...

Say 6 players left, your leader chip, you call the all in form the smaller one with AK (or any thing), and you double-up him pocket pair... He can kill you now, with your chips!

Ask your self, even when you have AK, AA, KK or QQ, "Does i need to win more chip to win this shit?"

Cause you can have best hand preflop... But what about the dam river?

Am happy to see a post about D or N, hope i'll get your opinion about my coin flip thinking and your opinion too.

Thats my own opinion, am not a pro, but am just trying to analyse this new structure to take advantage of it, in long term overview.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman36
    hmm will try both methods think they both have good strategy
    I can see a major flaw in the first strategy. You can see a lot of flops for cheap...but you're only going to win cheap with them...a very low percent of the time. Calling with 89s to just see a K on the board is going to hurt you more often, and post flop no one really wants to get the money in. I think if in the first couple of hands you get a top 5% hand it might be worth it to just push to get a donk call and double up for the rest of the game, but post flop it probably won't work, people are just too timid.
    A post about same subject already exist, on buttom SnG page, maybe combined those 2!?

But PLZ comment my post, 2 posts above! Lol
    The problem I have found with playing these ultra tight is that you too often find yourself getting getting low relative to the blinds come bubble time and you have to go in push or fold mode. That's all well and good, but you will usually get called on your steals when way behind or be pretty much a coin flip. How really where you want to be in a double or nothing.

By opening your range a bit you may lose a couple of hundred more chips on the first few levels if nothng hits, but it really won't matter when you get to level 4 (usually 50/100). Your going to be in push or fold mode either way and you have the same stealing ability with an 1100 stack as a 1300 stack. However, if you do hit one of those flops (and by hiting I mean 2 pair or betteror a huge draw) you can often pick up a nice pot when an opponent has something like top pair and can't let it go. That is probably all you will need to make the money. I'm not suggesting calling 89o UTG. But 8-10s in late possition with a couple of limpers on level 1 or 2 is fine to call.
    help?
    These DON's have changed quite a bit since they first came out. They're still very winnable, but it's certainly not as consistently easy to sit out and cash (yes that used to be possible).
    I've decided not to continue playing them for the simple fact that unless you're winning a HUGE % of them, you're wasting your time.
    Donk Skills:
    #1 The bluff call
    #2 The Drawing-Dead Value Bet
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
    Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator