Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

HU SNG - Where to start?

Default HU SNG - Where to start?

The title basically sums this thread up, I'd quite like to start playing some HU SNGs (and maybe cash when I get the bankroll), however I'm not really sure how to go about learning how to play.

So far I've downloaded the e-book from HUSNG, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do help get me started.

When I get home tonight I intend on coming up with standard opening/3-bet/calling range to get me started.
    Hypers, turbos, or reg speeds?

The e-book seems good. I've only read a couple chapters but it seems extremely helpful. You might have to play a bit first to get the most out of it, though. Reading it and playing at the same time is prob a decent idea.

Posting some hands is a good idea too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    I think I'm going to start off with turbos. Played 3 so far and the standard seems pretty bad at 1.50s (great sample size I know). So hopefully I can ease my way into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    I think I'm going to start off with turbos. Played 3 so far and the standard seems pretty bad at 1.50s (great sample size I know). So hopefully I can ease my way into it.
    Ya it is. I have been 1 tabling them on my phone and moved from the $1.50s to the $3.50's and now the $7s and they are brutal. I need to download the HH's or tourny histories so I can check my ROI on these things. I am sure it's ridiculous at eh moment. I really don't have the roll for $7s, but one tabling them with 20BI's can't be bad can it?
    Does anyone know of a way to get my summaries into Holdem manager? or what to get from stars for all these games I played on my mobile so I have the stats?
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I really don't have the roll for $7s, but one tabling them with 20BI's can't be bad can it?
    I'm sure it's fine, just move down when you run bad and 5+ in a row

Does anyone know of a way to get my summaries into Holdem manager? or what to get from stars for all these games I played on my mobile so I have the stats?
    Could try just requesting your HHs from PS for your last x tournaments and import those. Should prob work if I had to guess, but I don't know for sure.
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

Just thought I'd go ahead and say I'm going to be playing hypers, not turbos.

I've just played 10 or so. Need to come up with a HUD and then I'm going to post some hands and ask for some critique on my HUD.
    I'm loving the turbos. The players suck, and have no idea how to play OTB or blinds. It takes very few hands to figure these players out and I worry about the hypers not giving me enough time for reads.
    I'm loving the turbos. The players suck, and have no idea how to play OTB or blinds. It takes very few hands to figure these players out and I worry about the hypers not giving me enough time for reads.
    Play pretty standard, then when you get to 10bb nash and if you start to see they call/fold too much then exploit.
    turbos are much bigger edge. the only problem is that at higher stakes, they don't run.

cross that bridge if I come to it
    I wonder if I am playing these games too fast vs a lot of players I should be beating though. Does anyone have an idea about how long they average in these games? I know not one game is a huge deal, but maybe I am getting too fast trying to put away some of these guys I should be beating and spewing off a stack once in a while
    I have a really small sample of turbos in my database, but looks like my games usually take 7 to 7.5 min. What's your average game duration?

Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    I have a really small sample of turbos in my database, but looks like my games usually take 7 to 7.5 min. What's your average game duration?
    What format do you usually play?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    What format do you usually play?
    I play HU hypers but I usually register turbos when I think action is gonna be a bit slow. When action is really slow, I play HU CAP cash.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't had much time to play poker these days & have struggled with finding a format to play.... often just spending brief periods playing cash (but am bored with it too).
    Think I'll give these a go for a bit.

I played the HU Hypers for a bit awhile ago.... not too fond of them.
    I wonder if I am playing these games too fast vs a lot of players I should be beating though. Does anyone have an idea about how long they average in these games? I know not one game is a huge deal, but maybe I am getting too fast trying to put away some of these guys I should be beating and spewing off a stack once in a while
    if you are on stars then 10m avg for turbos and 2.5 for hypers, ftp 7 for turbos and same for hypers
    Quote Originally Posted by simpledude16 View Post
    2.5 for hypers
    mbn

Quote Originally Posted by simpledude16 View Post
    if you are on stars then 10m avg for turbos and 2.5 for hypers, ftp 7 for turbos and same for hypers
    Thanks simpledude. This would mean I am probably needing to look at my bet sizing in some spots and my speed I am making decisions as well. Most of my games fall far short of 10 mins. Although I wonder how much the opponents snap decision making can affect this too.
    have you looked at any of the free vids on HUSNG to see how they are playing the turbos in the live play vids rather than replayer based ones. Although i guess the replayer ones may go into more depth about why they size like they do.
    I actually don't have the subscrip. Savy does
    theres a load of the older ones that are subsription free ...just watch them for free http://www.husng.com/forums/general-...r-videos-forum
    I actually don't have the subscrip. Savy does
    ?
    Oh shit. Sorry, I never noticed them as free. Thought it was a subscrip site
    Thanks simpledude. This would mean I am probably needing to look at my bet sizing in some spots and my speed I am making decisions as well. Most of my games fall far short of 10 mins. Although I wonder how much the opponents snap decision making can affect this too.

could easily just be a sample size issue if they are ending too slow or fast
    Played ~20 of them so far. (think I'm 11/9)
    Feels like a slow grind but decent game to play when I don't have alot of time (1/2 hr. throw in a few games).
    I've only been 1-tabling them but thinking I need to add another table.

Haven't come across too many players (in micro buyins) who are winning in them (maybe it's just time of day I've been playing them?). You'd think after playing 2,500 of them and still losing, you might want to try a different format? (I've got TournamentShark software, & finding it helpful knowing how bad they are (or aren't) before they play the first hand).

Thanks for links to the vids. Will probably watch these while I'm playing, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice View Post
    Played ~20 of them so far. (think I'm 11/9)
    Feels like a slow grind but decent game to play when I don't have alot of time (1/2 hr. throw in a few games).
    I've only been 1-tabling them but thinking I need to add another table.

Haven't come across too many players (in micro buyins) who are winning in them (maybe it's just time of day I've been playing them?). You'd think after playing 2,500 of them and still losing, you might want to try a different format? (I've got TournamentShark software, & finding it helpful knowing how bad they are (or aren't) before they play the first hand).

Thanks for links to the vids. Will probably watch these while I'm playing, lol.
    I think using some sort of software to find out how good or bad a player is going to be detrimental for most ppl (ppl assume stuff based off on it which isnt normally good) i think its best just to go into each game empty and just adjust based off play not results
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice View Post
    Haven't come across too many players (in micro buyins) who are winning in them
    people that win at micros usually move up pretty quickly, so it makes sense that you don't find many

the avg skill level is horrible until u get to the 15's mate
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytalks View Post
    the avg skill level is horrible until u get to the 15's mate
    Tbf I'm pretty horrible too.