Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 110 of 420 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,250 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Wuf, why won't you watch The Avengers? It was written and directed by the same guy that made one of your all time favorite TV series.
    Sorry for the long post, tried to be brief...

I'll probably torrent it and see if I like it, after somebody puts up a dvdrip

I noticed Joss made it, but for some reason I've never really watched anything by him other than Firefly. I hear he did Buffy and that was his second best, but I haven't heard good enough stuff about it to want to watch, or something. But it could be good

Anyways, Avengers is a highly popular, superhero comic, mashup, Hollywood movie. That categorization alone means that it's very unlikely that it will be any good. There are several reasons for this. One is that everybody loves superhero stuff (including me), so when something comes along, it gets so much benefit of the doubt that if it ends up merely not sucking it becomes rated substantially higher than it should have been. In fact, you can't find a superhero movie that isn't rated way too high. Even Nolan's Batmans are rated way too high. Those are just about the only truly great ones, but they're not anywhere close to top ten films, yet that's where most people have them

Another reason is it's goddamn Hollywood doing the same story with the same actors and the same explosions and the same boring shit. Hollywood does make great stuff when there are specific people working them and they're not trying to capture broad demographics in the mainstream. But virtually all of the mainstream stuff have only a handful of character roles and storytelling that it becomes banal. The stories and character roles of Transformers and Toy Story are pretty much the same, and that's rather ubiquitous across most mainstream Hollywood material

I know I sound like a shitty snob right now, but I don't know what to say. Most of my favorite movies are Hollywood, and lots of those did get popular in the mainstream or in cult, but when I see a big budge superhero mashup, I'm less than enthused

The Batmans and Sin City are the only great comic stuff. The Iron Mans are not bad, enjoyable enough. The last one I saw what X-Men: First Class. I saw it was rated like 8.2 on IMDB, and was like "WTFFFFF that's high as shit, it's even high for the massively overrated reviews comic stuff gets", but then I watched it and it was a 7.0 at best. Probably should have been a 6.6 or something.

It just seems that when a comic is at least decent as a movie, it's considered the next best thing. Obviously, I wouldn't pound the gavel on Avengers without actually seeing it, just expressing why I don't care to watch it until a torrent pops up. From what I know about it, it would make my nittery explode (stuff like a demi-god getting his ass beat by non-demi-gods, one dude having a super power of like shooting bow and arrows or something), but it could be good if it has Rambo style storytelling and editing. That would make it a very crisp action, with an appropriate mix between the plausible and implausible. But my guess is it's too much like Transformers to qualify for that
    Joss Whedon, though.

I'd watch a movie staring generic stick figures if Joss Whedon is getting writer credits.

Same with Christopher Nolan and the Batman series.

Who cares that the subject matter has been processed through holywood a dozen times?
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 05-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    $10 bucks, to laugh your ass off in theater. I dont see why anyone would be so adamant against seeing it, when the worst actor in the whole movie was probably samuel l jackson (yes, even captain america and the random powerless avengers were pretty good).

Yes it is overhyped a bit. There are some slow parts in the beginning, and the plot is very generic (its a super hero movie). That didnt stop it from being highly enjoyable though
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Who cares that the subject matter has been processed through holywood a dozen times?
    I guess I have two main points

1. I hate Hollywood due to the RIAA/MPAA draconian idiocy. They are wrong in almost every single way about filesharing. I would be happy if I never gave them another fucking dime. Hell, even the CEO of HBO recently said some of the most retarded shit about "this internet fad". I honestly get angry that business people are clueless about how to run a business well yet impose their retardation on art and culture. You'd think it's because they hate money because companies like Valve are showing that Hollywood could make assloads more than they are by embracing the internet, but it's really because they're egotistical dumbshits who would rather die than not control everything and be loved for it.

Don't get me started on these fuckwits

2. More and more, I'm appreciating the Hollywood production and storytelling less and less. For example, I loved Firefly, but kinda hated Serenity. Firefly was a lovable, character and community driven story, where you feel like you're a part of their unique little world, and there was something special about how normal it seemed.

But then Serenity comes in and suddenly everything is big, bad, srsnbsns, epic, shiny, good vs evil. In Firefly, they cracked jokes because they were normal people, in Serenity, they cracked jokes because the producers thought that was the right time for the audience to laugh
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    it was a 7.0 at best. Probably should have been a 6.6 or something.
    GO OUTSIDE MORE. PET A CAT.
    Also, if someone would please combine the hot sauce thread and the sexy thread in a visceral experience in front of me, I'd appreciate it.
    Just saw the Olympic torch, quite underwhelming.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Dan Harmon Poops, HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Community is dead. Its zombified husk will skulk on for a dozen more episodes but without its heart and soul, without Dan Harmon, it will be a pile of shit.

If you haven't caught Community this season, go check it out. There were at least 3 genius level episodes encased in tens of brilliant episodes.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    The one episode of Community I've seen they were, like, claymation and it was weird so I haven't watched any more. Worth checking out then?
    Yeah, watch it from season 1 all the way through as the show becomes very convoluted and inaccessible by season 3.

If you want 1 episode to get you hooked just watch s1e23 Modern Warfare. It's a brilliant episode even if you have no familiarity with the cast or setting.

Then go buy the DVDs; across 3 seasons there are a dozen episodes which are genuine works of art.
    Agree with most of everything rilla said. I liked it a lot in S1 but I feel like there's been a slow decline, and now it's like they're bored already by S3 and are trying too hard to step it up or something so they've gone over the top. Been a few decent eps this season yeah but...mehhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I honestly thought Thor was a good movie. Captain America was pretty bad, but not unwatchable. And Ironman was quite good too (Ironman 2.. not quite as good..) But it just becomes such a huge juggling act when you have all these main characters in one movie.
    It's funny but I disagree with almost everything you say here. Thought Captain America was much better than Thor (although I enjoyed it). Ironman 2 lived up to the first one as well as it could I think.

The reason I was afraid Avengers would let me down was the fact that I thought they'd lose the characters by stuffing them all into one movie but I thought they did a phenomenal job.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Guess Her Muff

Why have we never had this posted?
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Guess Her Muff

Why have we never had this posted?
    WOuld prefer multiple choice pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    The one episode of Community I've seen they were, like, claymation and it was weird so I haven't watched any more. Worth checking out then?
    Community is the second most well written comedy to date (Arrested Development being #1). Perhaps, it's not strictly as funny as something like Sunny in Philly, but you could say it's a top 3 all time comedy. Season 3 has been amazing

I never even watched the claymation episode. Shut that retarded shit off
    Dan Harmon Poops, HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?

Community is dead. Its zombified husk will skulk on for a dozen more episodes but without its heart and soul, without Dan Harmon, it will be a pile of shit.

If you haven't caught Community this season, go check it out. There were at least 3 genius level episodes encased in tens of brilliant episodes.
    Is it even possible for people who run multinational corporations to not be complete fucking idiots?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    This happens a lot
    When did I write this? What are you talking about?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    When could we start embedding videos?!?!?! SPI?N ME RIGHT ROUND
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Agree with most of everything rilla said. I liked it a lot in S1 but I feel like there's been a slow decline, and now it's like they're bored already by S3 and are trying too hard to step it up or something so they've gone over the top. Been a few decent eps this season yeah but...mehhhh...
    You have an incorrect sense of season 3. The creators weren't getting bored, they were hunkering down to create the purest form of madness the television medium could carry. Season 3 has been far from meh.

The best episodes of Community are better than the best episodes of The Simpsons. And you should check them all out now since the series is over.

Sony + NBC just don't want to deal with Dan Harmon anymore so they're just going to walk out enough episodes to sell the whole thing into syndication and make their money back.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Sweet, thanks guys. First two episodes have convinced me to watch the rest of the season (although it's certainly not getting Arrested Development status yet), especially Oldguy and Doucheguy doing Oldguy's spanish presentation to that Aimee Mann song
    You've known all along FTR is just made up in your head. I'm your Tyler Durden. Everything you want to be.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    Sweet, thanks guys. First two episodes have convinced me to watch the rest of the season (although it's certainly not getting Arrested Development status yet), especially Oldguy and Doucheguy doing Oldguy's spanish presentation to that Aimee Mann song
    Chevy Chase is great in it and I've never found him funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.

Still love this video.
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 05-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    It was funny once, it can be funny again!

This thread is now about stuff that's funny on the internet

Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 05-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    ^^^^
    +1
    You guy's should check out the TV series Mr. D

If you're a Canadian sports fan, you've heard of Gerry D, comedic sports reporter. He's recently completed his first season as an under qualified teacher.

Easily the 2nd best sitcom coming out of Canada, first being TPB. (Jonovision is in this one too)

Mr. D - Mondays at 8/8:30NT on CBC

p.s. it's on Netflix
    I saw some dude jog past with the Olympic Torch today, half a mile from my house. Bet noone else here can say that. Fuck you FTR.
    ongies gonna ong
    ^^^
    egomaniac
    Quote Originally Posted by BankItDrew View Post
    ^^^
    egomaniac
    I'm not an egomaniac, I'm just a twat.
    ongies gonna ong
    twat is such a nice way to say cunt.
    twat is such a nice way to say cunt.
    Did you see the Olympic Torch today?
    ongies gonna ong
    Post 8207
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I saw some dude jog past with the Olympic Torch today, half a mile from my house. Bet noone else here can say that. Fuck you FTR.
    Post 8182
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Did you see the Olympic Torch today?
    <TouretteGuyVoice>

I DON'T GIVE THREE TITS OF A CHICKENSHIT BULLLLLLLLSHIT ABOUT NO OLYMPICS, AND I GIVE EVEN LESS FUUUKKKKS ABOUT THE TORCH

</TouretteGuyVoice>
    I don't give a fuck either.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Fuck you FTR (except Dan).

I still don't care though.
    ongies gonna ong
    until now, I'd forgotten that the olympics were held this year, and in London. In fact, I'd forgotten they existed at all.

I find it pretty boring to watch people all run, jump, and swim in pretty much the same way, only slightly better or worse.
    I only went out to pay my rent.

I like watching some Olympic sports, like the female Chinese gymanstics, the Japanese too, women's tennis, beach volleyball... anything that involves attractive and legal ladies really. Some of them are built like men, but there's lots of cute women running around in skirts and whatnot attempting sport. It's not all boring.
    ongies gonna ong
    <TouretteGuyVoice>

I DON'T GIVE THREE TITS OF A CHICKENSHIT BULLLLLLLLSHIT ABOUT NO OLYMPICS, AND I GIVE EVEN LESS FUUUKKKKS ABOUT THE TORCH

</TouretteGuyVoice>
    A+

?wut

not funny but super satisfying.

Trixxie (small dog) being attacked by a coyote and rescued by Happy (neighbor's bigger dog)
    ^^^^
    sharing

I don't know why...but this is great.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    I only went out to pay my rent.

I like watching some Olympic sports, like the female Chinese gymanstics, the Japanese too, women's tennis, beach volleyball... anything that involves attractive and legal ladies really. Some of them are built like men, but there's lots of cute women running around in skirts and whatnot attempting sport. It's not all boring.
    rofl the chinese gymnasts are like 12

IM NEVER MAKING EGGS THE SAME WAY AGAIN

?wut
    Ramsey is awesome. He has tons of videos showing these kind of cooking tricks to make good food easy
    Quote Originally Posted by philly and the phanatics View Post
    rofl the chinese gymnasts are like 12
    You're mistaken, most of the current crop are around 20.

China have some nice figure skaters too.
    ongies gonna ong
    Can't believe I didn't have a cooking playlist on Youtube. Fixed that.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!

Since we're on the topic of Ramsay.
    The reporter should be ashamed of himself. Well done steak? ffffff

The Ramsay undercover at other celeb chef courses are pretty funny.
    the skrillex and the pokemon videos were fucking amazing.
    That video is ALWAYS funny...

("But I'm le tired...")

It was funny once, it can be funny again!

There's a magical bunny that lives inside peanuts. People laugh at this until I prove it.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Is the punchline dropping your pants?
    I've shown it to my kids, so no it's not.

Take any peanut and open it, there's a bunny inside.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    But its such a tiny bunny
    lol bunnies aren't made out of peanuts. They're made of chocolate. Or marshmallow sometimes.

edit whose idea was it to spell marshmellow marshmallow? Rediculous.
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 05-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Holy fuck! There's a marshmallow plant!
    Bleh. Hi guys.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Am I seeing boobs or an ass here?

Books for sure.
    Mmm tits.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    A girl took a picture of herself every day for 5.5 years. For some reason this is very hot:

she takes a photo every day: 5.5 years - YouTube
    big eyes, pretty face, full lips, staring right at you. that'll do it
    I love the constant reference to "thirsty consumers", like it's perfectly normal to be thirsty and want a 64 oz fizzy drink (That's 2 liters!)

BBC News - Is the end in sight for bucket-sized sodas?
    Can somebody from UK or Oz tell me wtf is going on here

Well black dude in black is helping white dude in black catch the ball by lifting him up, and then he kinda flips him by accident by which time if he drops him he is gonna land on his head and prob break his neck or something, so the other guys help him out to make sure he doesn't. I think.
    That's pretty crazy strength.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Which reminds me

One time at an old job a chick told me I couldn't lift her over my head, I said I could, she said I couldn't, I said I could, she said to prove it, I said I'd have to grab her tits and vagina in order to get a good enough grip, she said okay, so I grabbed her, did as I said I could, put her down, then she walked away all hot and bothered. She tried to get me to bang her a little while after that, but I didn't because I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    Apt usage IMO

I'm afraid of making good decisions. The other day I tried to make a good decision, and I had a panic attack. You think I'm joking but I'm not