Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

100k in a year?

Default 100k in a year?

http://www.100kproject.com/

I was about to type "discuss" but this thread would already be locked by now..

I really like the idea in this article. Even though I am not able to play 30+h a week, I think this goal doesnt sound completely impossible to me. You just have to grind some bonuses and especially find good games and play the game you are best at.
    "Poker is a simple math game" -Aba20
    If you are a great player, this goal would be VERY easy to accomplish. I deposited $100 into Party Poker about a year and a half ago and had no idea what I was doing playing in the $10+1 SNGs and the $25 NL tables and have made about 45K since then while moving to limit and moving up to 5/10. Considering that I completely sucked when I started and was able to do that, I would assume that somebody who is already good and is willing to play 30-40 hours/week could easily make upwards of 100k in a year. The starting amount doesn't really matter as a good player will be able to demolish the lower limits while bonus whoring to increase his roll enough to play higher stakes pretty fast. I didn't see anything about multi tabling in the article though and it would be much more difficult only playing one table at a time.
    yep...its quite doable, especially for someone who has previous experience in the game. If i actually applied myself (and it still can happen although its not looking too likely cause of school and crap) i probably could do 100k in my first year from a 200 deposit.
    I don't think its as doable as you guys are claiming it to be. If it was really that easy then why go to school and get a real job? If you can make 100k profit every year off a $200 deposit then life would be easy. I am not saying its not possile, I mean hell I know people who have accomplished it, I just don't think its a walk in the park like you guys are making it sound.
    The artist formerly known as Knish
    Only mediocre players are always at their best.
    Phil Ivey Owns You
    Hm...
    I might make this a goal.

I am thinking of starting a long-term "operation."

I need something to keep me on track.
    To win in poker you only need to be one step ahead of your opponents. Two steps may be detrimental.
    It will definitly be interesting to keep an eye on.
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you." -Satchel Paige
    Quote Originally Posted by Les_Worm
    I don't think its as doable as you guys are claiming it to be. If it was really that easy then why go to school and get a real job? If you can make 100k profit every year off a $200 deposit then life would be easy. I am not saying its not possile, I mean hell I know people who have accomplished it, I just don't think its a walk in the park like you guys are making it sound.
    Obviously its not a walk in the park, i think to complete this i would have to quit school and concentrate on poker for 4 months, but it can definately be done. Also i probably wont get a real job, i'm just going to school to see if anything interests me at this point, if it does then i'll pursue it, if not then i can just play poker until i get bored of it.

I can think of several people who have already done this on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmxicle
    Me too. I was actually more aiming my comments at Nehmer whos said this goal is "VERY easy."
    The artist formerly known as Knish
    Only mediocre players are always at their best.
    Phil Ivey Owns You
    DoGGz Guest
    Me too. I was actually more aiming my comments at Nehmer whos said this goal is "VERY easy."
    Well, for SOME people. First, you need intelligence. Second, you need drive. Most people don't have either, very few have both. If I'd have to make a bet, I'd say that the IQ levels of the members of this board are significantly higher than the average population. Believe it or not, that's a huge advantage.
    Also, I think that about half the people here have some sort of engineering/business education which makes it easier to be analytical and think in different ways to get the best results.

Lets brake this in numbers, you should have to make about $300 a day, lets say you can only play for 3h per day, that is $100 per hour. You play 4 tables and thus you should make $25 per table per hour. if you play nl200 that is little over 6ptBB/h which would be about 10-12 ptBB/100 which isnt really possible in the long run unless you find some really good games every day.

But if you play 8 tables at the same time that is "only" 5-6 pbBB/100, 3hours per day playing nl200. Can these numbers be correct?? I mean only 3 hours a day, stakes as small as 1/2NL.. ugh.
    He's playing Full ring 2/4-3/6 no? I didn't dig into the site but is there a plan to move to NL cash games? $100,000k at the 3/6 at 30hours a week doesn't seem possible, and I thought 100k+ would only be reachable playing 30/60 stakes or higher.

And are these coaches $300,000 a year players? Seems like there goal outshines their abilities...
    You are misquoting me. The first part of that quote was, "If you are a great player". Obviously any idiot that starts playing poker won't be able to do this, but the top several percent of players should have no problem at all accomplishing this even if they only start with $1000 and have to start at the lower stakes tables.

Default The 100k project

Hey folks,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the head coach for the 100k project. It's nice to see debates like this going on. FTR has as good a sample of expert players as any site around and I often refer members of my site to articles on these boards.

I myself firmly believe it can be done, and I know people who have done similar things, but part of the idea of this project was to prove that it was doable. We also want to provide some information on how to go about it for people who are interested.

As for this -

He's playing Full ring 2/4-3/6 no? I didn't dig into the site but is there a plan to move to NL cash games? $100,000k at the 3/6 at 30hours a week doesn't seem possible, and I thought 100k+ would only be reachable playing 30/60 stakes or higher.

And are these coaches $300,000 a year players? Seems like there goal outshines their abilities...
    I can assure youthat Tiger Woods golf coach is not winning millions of dollars a year, nor can Phil Jackson dunk on Kobe, but it does not diminish their ability as coaches. I do make my entire living at the tables, but specifically because of that I cannot go for a year without pulling money out of my bankroll to pay the bills or I would do this thing myself.

We have switched to mostly NL for now, and we will certainly climb up in the limits as our bankroll grows. The 100k project jsut adds more to my already over full scedule, but I'll try to stop by and check up on this thread periodically. The various opinions are interesting and I hope the debate continues.
    DoGGz Guest

Default Re: The 100k project

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes
    Hey folks,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am the head coach for the 100k project. It's nice to see debates like this going on. FTR has as good a sample of expert players as any site around and I often refer members of my site to articles on these boards.

I myself firmly believe it can be done, and I know people who have done similar things, but part of the idea of this project was to prove that it was doable. We also want to provide some information on how to go about it for people who are interested.

As for this -

I can assure youthat Tiger Woods golf coach is not winning millions of dollars a year, nor can Phil Jackson dunk on Kobe, but it does not diminish their ability as coaches. I do make my entire living at the tables, but specifically because of that I cannot go for a year without pulling money out of my bankroll to pay the bills or I would do this thing myself.

We have switched to mostly NL for now, and we will certainly climb up in the limits as our bankroll grows. The 100k project jsut adds more to my already over full scedule, but I'll try to stop by and check up on this thread periodically. The various opinions are interesting and I hope the debate continues.
    Unfortunately, you did such a good job replying not only did you answer all remaining questions, but you mostly likely ended this thread
    All you'd have to do is win a 120 man sng every 3 days. ITS SO EASY

-'rilla
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    I read this the other day, checked out the site, and decided to try it myself. I had just reached 2k after 4 months of play, but the last 1k has come in the last 3 weeks. I think i might be a decent player (except for a few donks now and then). But 100k seems reachable to me.

I haven't touched my BR except to take out $100 to buy SuperSystem2 and start my own website at www.holdemchronicles.com . I saw that the 100k project player lost $200 the first day, that sucks.

My progress has been $200 playing 50NL the first night, then another $250 last night at 100NL.

I know variance might kick me in the ass soon so i am tring to keep my short term goals reasonable. I think a max buy in per night average is a good goal so maybe 1k more by thanksgiving (3.5k total BR in 2 wks).

I have just started playing the .50/1 tables again after a huge debacle when I played over my BR early on. I had just lost $100 of my $500 BR and went all in post flop with AA getting called by a guy with a set of tens. I got lucky and hit a A on the river and took that as a sign I should get the heck out of .50/1 tables because I should have been chopped to $300 by that move. I then found this site and learned about BR management. When i get to 4k i'll move up to $1/$2

Anyway, the challenge is on for anyone else that wants to race to $100k with the 100k project player.

Any takers?
    "Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
    -Batman costume warning label

Default 100k project

I've heard from at least 25 people who are going to be taking their own shot at 100k. Good luck to you, I hope you beat us there. Anyone who is doing well and keeping a public online record of it should feel free to let us know in a month or two and we'll link to you on 100kproject.com.

For those of you who are doing the numbers -

Our player is not going to take money out of his bankroll for the whole year, so he can move up stakes as his bankroll permits it. We're guessing that by the end of the year he will be playing at least the $2,000 buy-in games. figuring in the rise in game size might make conjecture about the rate of increase a little easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubixSoHo

Not necessarily, you just have to do the math. 3 tabling 5/10 6 max for 2 BB/100 will get you ~ $50 per hour. Of coursae, that is DESTROYING the game, but you really only need a $50/hour to get 100k a year.

You could do that at a live 15/30 game, you'd have to win on average 2 BB per hour to do so over 8 hours a day, however. But, anything online at 5/10 and above its much easier than you think, if you are a good player that is.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    hmmm interesting thread. 100k in a year? I think it's do-able.
    Holy crap I cant play against Yoda!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scgolfer
    hmmm interesting thread. 100k in a year? I think it's do-able.
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh,

you made me time out on a pocket pair i was laughing so hard

You owe me now...

1% sounds reasonable to me...

Q. Is poker Gambling?
    A. Do you use correct bankroll management?
    I just took a look at the thread again. Thanks for posting here Vulpes. I might set a goal for myself for the next year, depending on the amount of hours I can dedicate to online poker.. Right now I have a project called "Pingviini's trip to 5/10" where I will increase my stakes from 1/2NL to 5/10NL having 25 buy-ins for the next level, check it here--> http://blog.flopturnriver.com/Pingviini.php
    Quote Originally Posted by saxdaddy
    I read this the other day, checked out the site, and decided to try it myself. I had just reached 2k after 4 months of play, but the last 1k has come in the last 3 weeks. I think i might be a decent player (except for a few donks now and then). But 100k seems reachable to me.

I haven't touched my BR except to take out $100 to buy SuperSystem2 and start my own website {URL removed by Xianti}. I saw that the 100k project player lost $200 the first day, that sucks.

My progress has been $200 playing 50NL the first night, then another $250 last night at 100NL.

I know variance might kick me in the ass soon so i am tring to keep my short term goals reasonable. I think a max buy in per night average is a good goal so maybe 1k more by thanksgiving (3.5k total BR in 2 wks).

I have just started playing the .50/1 tables again after a huge debacle when I played over my BR early on. I had just lost $100 of my $500 BR and went all in post flop with AA getting called by a guy with a set of tens. I got lucky and hit a A on the river and took that as a sign I should get the heck out of .50/1 tables because I should have been chopped to $300 by that move. I then found this site and learned about BR management. When i get to 4k i'll move up to $1/$2

Anyway, the challenge is on for anyone else that wants to race to $100k with the 100k project player.

Any takers?