Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Home Game Setup Advice

Default Home Game Setup Advice

I've finally rounded up enough people for my first home game, and I'm hoping it will catch on and become a weekly ritual. Here is the basic rundown on what I plan on doing for this week: Six players, tournament style, one rebuy (closed after third blind increase), top two paid.

I believe I'm going with starting stacks of 5,000. Blinds will start at 25/50 and will increase every 30 minutes. Sound about right for a 5-hour max game?
    My main question, though, pertains to the starting stack of 5000. How should I divide the chips up, colorwise? I know the fewer colors the better, to make things simple, but I wasn't sure on the breakdown.

Thanks for any advice.
    Sounds pretty good to me. If it does last a while, just make sure the prizes are worth their time.

How many of each chips do you have available?
    (Josh)
    I prefer fewer colors used. 4 is more than enough, and you can even get away with 3 but it's less than ideal when you have enough.

A lot of people make different colors for 25 and 50 chips under that blind structure which I think is ridiculous. To be honest, something simple like:

25 - 8
    100 - 8
    500 - 8

is fine imo. There's always someone with tons of chips to make change for anyone else who needs it.
    yeah as long as its tourney style home game its all good, cash games with friends can be a miserable experience. I prefer to do only a couple colors and start with really big stacks, we usually raise the blinds only when someone goes out to keep it simple. first couple guys out we let rebuy usually to fatten the pot.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal labotomy
    I do a tourney with
    9-25
    9-50
    9-100
    1-500
    total=2075
    I let people rebuy for as long as they want usually. when they rebuy I give them 7/7/7/1 500 chip, My blinds start at 25/50
    The game usually starts at 8pm and ends around 11:30/12midnight.
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    what is the buy in, sounds like a lot of time for one game, i do one evry friday where we get 1300 and buyin is 20.00 nine people and we play three every friday first 2get paid and keepsit fresh and easy and not too expensive, 10 10 10 50 7 100 blindsat 10 20 and we double the blinds evry time some onegoes out stoping at 640, it really fast and fun, not too stressfull.
    www.homepokertourney.com is the recommended site to visit before your first game. They have everything you need. Including chip distributions, blind levels and whatever else to fit around what chips you have or want to do about time constraints.
    You cna print off tons of sheets for chip colours and blinds to give the players.
    You'll prolly shorten the blind levels by the second game
    It's a home game... people want to have fun. It's not fun to bust out and wait 3 hours for the game to finish.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    very interesting that the prize is good but need some time