Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation : Unemployment Income

Default Operation : Unemployment Income

Hi all,

As of April 7, I am laid off. For reasons I will not mention here I do not plan on looking for a job until August. This means I have some time to work on my poker.

Current Bank Roll: 50.86
    Stakes: 2NL on Poker Stars FR
    Tables: 6
    Analytical Tools: Game time & Pokertracker v 2
    Goal: Play 20k Hands a month., post 1 hand a week.
    Desired outcome be at 25NL by August.

Things I will work on:
    Making sure that I am tight as hell early and loose on CO and Button.

Move up Strategy:
    Get to $100 to be 20 BI for 5 NL. Take shot until $75 build up and repeat.

-!luck
    good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    #1: No reads. I get into this type of situation a lot. Not always with AA but with other strong but not great hands. At this point he could have called me with kq, any pocket, ak. With no reads his range is so wide. It is hard for me to find the balance between getting the most money in and not trapping myself.

I feel like the right move here is to fold if he bets anything more than half a pot.
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($5)
    UTG ($1.92)
    UTG+1 ($4.96)
    MP1 ($3.46)
    MP2 ($0.92)
    Hero (CO) ($1.84)
    Button ($9.83)
    SB ($4.87)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A
    3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, Hero bets $0.08, Button calls $0.08, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.27) K, 3, Q (3 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.20, Button calls $0.20, 1 fold

Turn: ($0.67) 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.36, Button calls $0.36

River: ($1.39) K (2 players)
    Hero???

Total pot: $1.39 | Rake: $0.05
    1) Welcome back

2) I hope you're not actually counting on income like the title suggests. Doesn't sound like it

3) Raise more pre, 5x would be standard at 25NL, so 10c min. I tended to make raises 5x standard at 10NL and lower because people called to much anyway. Not sure how the game is now.

4) I think your turn bet is small. Betting 1/5 your remaining stack on the turn makes any river awkward to play. Plus people still have the 'oh it's only 50c mindset' (I'd assume)

5) Well, you have less than pot left. some read would help. I would probably tank/shove just because I don't know what to do if I check. Knowing if he was nitty or lose would clearly help. And, since it's 2NL I think you get looked up lighter more often than you get shoved on by air.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I am not counting on income from poker to support me.

My logic on the turn is to keep this pot relatively small. With hands like AA I want to avoid getting stacked, which happens too often. I really do not think that AA is that strong after the flop and I play it like TPTK.

Played 1,000 hands today. Up 3.83.

!luck
    I played another 450 hands and these were the two most important ones. Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($1.99)
    MP1 ($3.18)
    MP2 ($4.13)
    CO ($3.20)
    Button ($3.18)
    SB ($1.92)
    Hero (BB) ($3.30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A
    UTG bets $0.06, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, UTG calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.29) 7, J, 2 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.20, UTG calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.69) 9 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.40, UTG calls $0.40

River: ($1.49) 4 (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

Total pot: $1.93 | Rake: $0.05

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($5.29)
    MP1 ($3.01)
    MP2 ($5.45)
    CO ($3)
    Hero (Button) ($2.11)
    SB ($6.21)
    BB ($5.47)
    UTG ($2.86)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
    2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero bets $0.06, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.15) Q, 4, 10 (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.10, MP1 raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($0.95) 5 (2 players)
    MP1 bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1, MP1 calls $0.50

River: ($2.95) J (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.65 (All-In), MP1 calls $0.65

Total pot: $4.25 | Rake: $0.20
    Quote Originally Posted by !Luck
    My logic on the turn is to keep this pot relatively small. With hands like AA I want to avoid getting stacked, which happens too often. I really do not think that AA is that strong after the flop and I play it like TPTK.
    I don't agree with this logic at all. By the turn you need to consider the size of your remaining stack. Playing like you're afraid of being stacked doesn't even make sense, but I also suck donkey balls at FR.

When you run good I think you should sign posts ~!luck

1) Your 3bet sizing sucks. Flop bet std I would think, turn bet seems like spew, river call the only reason I don't hate it is because the bet is so small. It's probably still questionable at best.

2) Pre-flop sizing sucks. Min-raising the turn, wtf. Just stick it in (as played). Decision is calling the flop, prob either fold or shove there.

It looks like you haven't played poker since 2004.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy
    I don't agree with this logic at all. By the turn you need to consider the size of your remaining stack. Playing like you're afraid of being stacked doesn't even make sense, but I also suck donkey balls at FR.

When you run good I think you should sign posts ~!luck

1) Your 3bet sizing sucks. Flop bet std I would think, turn bet seems like spew, river call the only reason I don't hate it is because the bet is so small. It's probably still questionable at best.

2) Pre-flop sizing sucks. Min-raising the turn, wtf. Just stick it in (as played). Decision is calling the flop, prob either fold or shove there.

It looks like you haven't played poker since 2004.
    1) In regards to your first comment on my logic. I thought, generally speaking, you never want to stack off with top pair. People smooth call all the time with trips and if I check the river I need to have the odds to get away from it. Or is that logic even more retarded?

2) My 3-bet size is usually a little more than pot. Is that way off? Or I try to make it unprofitable to set hunt, but don't have a system yet. On the AK hand There was 9 cents in the pot. I raise it 14 and that is too small? Obviously it is by your comments, what would you raise there.

3) So for the AQ hand the min raise is just plain idiotic. Either go all in or drop it.

Thanks.

P.S. When I made this account I was taking a computer science class and ! symbol represented the word NOT. Thus the name Not Luck. So kinda funny considering your suggestion of NOT NOT Luck, or did you just level me?

~~!Luck
    1) In regards to your first comment on my logic. I thought, generally speaking, you never want to stack off with top pair. People smooth call all the time with trips and if I check the river I need to have the odds to get away from it. Or is that logic even more retarded?
    I play 6max not FR so there is some difference there. But at micros TPTK is the nuts vs some opponents, and garbage vs others. I would expect that you gain most of your value from bad calls, so I would just keep betting.

Stacking off with TP in a limped pot would be terrible because it would be 4 or 5 bet. Stacking off with an overpair where villain goes c/c, c/c, c/c is totally standard (at micros, if not higher).

2) My 3-bet size is usually a little more than pot. Is that way off? Or I try to make it unprofitable to set hunt, but don't have a system yet. On the AK hand There was 9 cents in the pot. I raise it 14 and that is too small? Obviously it is by your comments, what would you raise there.
    Not way off, but you're letting him call for 8c, with $2 stacks that's giving him close to 20x implied odds, which is very much set minable. 3x is standard, so 18c. I might round up to 20c because I think people at 2NL don't care about the money.

3) So for the AQ hand the min raise is just plain idiotic. Either go all in or drop it.
    ya, I don't have a great answer here. Just saying at that point you need to make a decision. Does he have a set/flush/better flush draw a lot? Then just muck it because you likely don't have any equity and there isn't much money in the pot yet. If he has shown spaz potential then I might be happy getting it in. Calling and getting it in on any non diamond turn is also an option, but that decision is made when you call on the flop. Please don't min-raise either.

P.S. When I made this account I was taking a computer science class and ! symbol represented the word NOT. Thus the name Not Luck. So kinda funny considering your suggestion of NOT NOT Luck, or did you just level me?

~~!Luck
    Nope, you nailed it I'm EE.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Three hands. I realized that I need to post the hands the same day I play them as I forget what my reads where making some of this analysis worthless. Still my leaks are still obvious.

#1 Awful, just plain horrible flop play. Correct? Horrible turn play too. I should reraise flop. Or at least the turn. Flop reraise should be around 30-40 cents.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($0.96)
    UTG ($0.70)
    UTG+1 ($4.88)
    MP1 ($1.13)
    Hero (MP2) ($1.90)
    MP3 ($7.19)
    CO ($5.13)
    Button ($5.82)
    SB ($0.98)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K
    UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero bets $0.10, 5 folds, UTG calls $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.33) 9, 10, A (3 players)
    UTG checks, MP1 bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, UTG calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.57) 8 (3 players)
    UTG bets $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

River: ($1.02) 5 (3 players)
    UTG bets $0.37 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls $0.37

#2 I need to 3 bet here. Plus flop play is poor too. Pump it or drop it. The way I played this gives me no information on what he has. A simple reraise of 50-60 cents reraise preflop would give me tons of info. Flop play is bad. Conclusion, I suck OOP.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($0.96)
    Button ($2.96)
    Hero (SB) ($1.98)
    BB ($1.53)
    UTG ($0.65)
    MP1 ($3.66)
    MP2 ($0.97)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A
    UTG calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Button bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.19, 5 folds

Flop: ($0.50) 2, 3, 7 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.20) 2 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $0.65, Hero folds

Total pot: $1.20 | Rake: $0.05

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

#3 Ah, Decent 3-bet it is 3x his raise. I see no issue with my flop bet. Turn and river suck, but not sure how to play it correctly. Barrel turn? Or shove all in on River?

UTG+1 ($1.13)
    MP1 ($1.09)
    MP2 ($1.91)
    MP3 ($2.55)
    CO ($6.93)
    Hero (Button) ($1.92)
    SB ($2.90)
    BB ($3)
    UTG ($5.11)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
    4 folds, MP3 bets $0.06, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.18, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) 5, J, A (2 players)
    MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.32, MP3 calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.03) 5 (2 players)
    MP3 checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.03) 9 (2 players)
    MP3 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Total pot: $1.63 | Rake: $0.05
    in hand 1 with the stack sizes I'd just ship the turn, I think Ax pays you off
    in hand 2 you either cbet or c/f it doesn't make sense for you to call
    hand 3 looks fine IF you think he can bluff with a single club