Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Otters New Start To Poker

Default Otters New Start To Poker

Hello everyone

I am making this so that we can keep track of how I am doing. I am very glad I joined this place and now with some luck and skill you can help me reach my wanted money level. I want to say that I hate playing the 10NL and started today. It is so low stacks that it is frustrating but I know I have to be a good player before I can move up. This is where I will learn how to best the other players and get $2500.

My bankroll is now at $200 and this is the recomended 20 buyins as the post said. I will be playing 2 tables of the 10NL no limit games to help not be too bored and things. I might play 3 or 4 if I am doing well on 2.

Today I lost my roll on the pokerstars and I haven't started my grinding sessions yet. The first one will be tomorrow when I am rested. Besides this I am very very tired from poker today and have not done the farm work that needed done. There are 3 new horses here and I didn't feed them because I was tilt from the 200NL No limit but I will be doing this in ten minutes. There are also a few ducks here that will need tagging and I will do that tonight too before I sleep.

It can get a bit lonely out here but I am used to it. Thats why I love poker because I feel like I am part of an online village of players if you can understand what I mean to say. I came to the UK from Costa Rica and my English is still improving so please let me know if you dont know what I am speaking about.

My plan for my first grinding session tomorrow is to play hard and stable. I will not be making dumb bluffs and I will be raising the right amounts instead of making pots too big to handle. I think Otter strategy is good but not enough to make me win here. I will play like I see everyone here play and let you know how it goes. Good luck to you all.

Otter
    Look forward to hear about your progression.

GL

Sir P
    A foolish man learns nothing from his mistakes.
    A smart man learns only from his own mistakes.
    A wise man learns from his own mistakes, and those of the smart man and the fool.
    Otter. Before you play any more poker .......READ ALL THE POSTS IN THE DIGEST IN BEGINNERS CIRCLE. You were told time and time again that you were playing badly and that you WOULD lose your bankroll. Just because you are now following bankroll startegy,this doesn't mean that you won't go bust again if you keep playing the same way.It will just take longer.
    Also read the posts in the strategy forum and read the posts in beginners circle and think about what some of the Mods (Spenda and Will) are saying in their replies.Good luck when you start playing again.

Default Re: Otters New Start To Poker

Quote Originally Posted by Otter_Brothface
    Hello everyone

Today I lost my roll on the pokerstars and I haven't started my grinding sessions yet. The first one will be tomorrow when I am rested. Besides this I am very very tired from poker today and have not done the farm work that needed done. There are 3 new horses here and I didn't feed them because I was tilt from the 200NL No limit but I will be doing this in ten minutes. There are also a few ducks here that will need tagging and I will do that tonight too before I sleep.

It can get a bit lonely out here but I am used to it. Thats why I love poker because I feel like I am part of an online village of players if you can understand what I mean to say. I came to the UK from Costa Rica and my English is still improving so please let me know if you dont know what I am speaking about.

Otter
    ...... oh and good luck of course lol. You really have to stick to the rules of BR management though Otter and continue to update this operation thread if you want to make it to your desired level. You've already caught the imagination of the people on this site so you won't be short of views on this opertion I feel and so make the most of it!!!!
    GL otter, your posts are making a lot more sense than when you first joined.

Also,

200NL No limit
    The NL after 200 or 10 stands for No limit. The number represents the stakes and is the big blind multiplied by 100, which is the normal buy in for those stakes.
    gl sir
    Otter good luck. Remember, poker isn't easy. It will take alot of work to develop into a sound player. The best thing you can do is stick to bankroll management, and read as much about poker as you can. If you put the hard work that's needed into poker, the rewards will come. Just be sure to maintain a positive attitude and the willingness to learn throughout your poker journey. And remember, if there is anything at all that you don't understand or have a hard time figuring out, there are lots of great people here at FTR to give you assistance.

All the best,

Micro
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_MM
    (...) Just because you are now following bankroll startegy,this doesn't mean that you won't go bust (...). It will just take longer. (...)
    Hey! I found this very straight, and made me thought never to forget my goals related to bankroll management, and also to read and improve day by day! Thanx!
    correct BR 'startegy' does in fact guarantee you will not go broke. You don't use BR requirements to determine where you start playing and then never think about it again, you use them to consistently evaluate what level you should be playing. If you get down to less than X BI for the lowest micro stake you either quit playing or re deposit.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    (...) If you get down to less than X BI for the lowest micro stake you either quit playing or re deposit.
    That´s quite the same to say one went bust! In my humble understanding... I got what Keith_MM said... My point of view is: it means even if you are playing the lowest correct micro stack according to Bankroll Management, you´ll go broke if you don´t improve as a poker player... If you don´t improve, you won´t be able to move up to the next level, and, it can happen, eventually you will have to re-deposit...
    gl carroters!
    correct BR 'startegy' does in fact guarantee you will not go broke. You don't use BR requirements to determine where you start playing and then never think about it again, you use them to consistently evaluate what level you should be playing. If you get down to less than X BI for the lowest micro stake you either quit playing or re deposit.
    If you get that low its probably below the miminum cash out threshold so they'll play until bust to try and turn it round.If they have to deposit to keep going its virtually the same as going bust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_MM
    If you get that low its probably below the miminum cash out threshold so they'll play until bust to try and turn it round.If they have to deposit to keep going its virtually the same as going bust.
    Accepted BR management is based loosely on Kelly Criterion. Look it up if you want to know more.

The likelihood of going broke with 20 buyins and an edge is fairly slim. The further you can drop in limits, the slimmer that possibility becomes. At micros, it get interesting. If you have $50 and are playing with minimum 20 buyins, you will probably buy in for $2 on a .01/.02 table. Even if you manage to lose 15 buyins in a session, you will still be buying into the .01/.02 tables for $1.

Busting is unlikely even with a $50 roll. By the time you're playing $10nl, with BR management and an edge, going broke will be damn near impossible.
    Check out my self-deprecation here!
    I think it's important to go back to what I originally wrote , that got abbreviated in a quote and comments made out of context.
    Just because you are now following bankroll startegy,this doesn't mean that you won't go bust again if you keep playing the same way.It will just take longer.
    I've highlighted the important bit as it ties in with your post Dev. You are talking about when you have an edge, my comment was referring to the fact that otter has to develop an edge. If hes a losing player then he will go bust there is no way to avoid it except by applying the lessons and advice that hes given to turn himself into a winning player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes
    gl Triptens!
    FYP?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISF
    Nothing actually changes in a poker game besides equity....
    When we can maximize our equity, we will make lots and lots of money.
    something to cheer u up whenever variance kicks u in the balls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    haha thank you very much for the otters video. They are very interesting but they also are animals of nastiness at a times. I love animals they brighten up my day when things go bad and I have plenty of them at my farm to help with not sadening things if poker luck is bad or I play dumb.

Well all I I have played 3 hours of the 10NL and I am down by $11 all from no limit 6 max games. I just played 2 tables and I was thinking of the posts and the digest of the FTR advice. I will show you the hands that I didnt understand like someone said I should do. I find these players very bad compared to the 100NL no limit players they dont try to take hands away from you as much and are weak. The hands I lost most money where because of bad calls by me. It is hard to make a fold even when you think the other guy has a good hand. Oh and I got the holdem manager device to run on this computer to track things. It took a good long time to get it worked but now it is done and I can see a graph that is losing money downhill but this is early days. It lets me convert the hands using the FTR device so I will do this to show you and get your feel on the hands.

Ok here is the main of the bad hands from this afternoon. I was unsure of these ones.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($2.89)
    CO ($9.64)
    Button ($9.90)
    SB ($12.48)
    Hero (BB) ($12.62)
    UTG ($7.59)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 10
    UTG calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero raises $0.45, UTG calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.15) 9, K, J (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG bets $0.55, Hero raises $1.93, UTG calls $1.38

Turn: ($5.01) J (2 players)
    Hero bets $4, UTG raises $5.21 (All-In), Hero calls $1.21

River: ($15.43) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $15.43

Results:
    Hero had K, 10 (two pair, Kings and Jacks).
    UTG had J, A (three of a kind, Jacks).

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($6.65)
    CO ($1.44)
    Button ($3.20)
    SB ($8.07)
    Hero (BB) ($13.61)
    UTG ($15.84)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q
    UTG raises $0.25, 4 folds, Hero raises $0.90, UTG raises $2, Hero raises $13.61 (All-In), UTG calls $11.61

Flop: ($27.77) A, 4, 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($27.77) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($27.77) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $27.77

Results:
    Hero had Q, Q (two pair, Queens and fours).
    UTG had K, K (two pair, Kings and fours).

Now is a bad time to play more of the 10NLs because the new horses are unset here and sad. I am going to pasture the horses for 1 hour and need to meet them with the old ones here. I will tell them of these hands from todays poker. I dont think they will know as much as you guys here at FTR!

Otter
    Today I have played 7 hours of poker and work 4 hours on the farm because of things that had to be done for days. I play 3 tables of the 10NL 6 max with no limit and won some dollars. I am up now by 28 in total. So my bankroll is 228.51 I played better today and had determine and strong feel. There was one player called scarletterman and I beat hom for 2 buyins. He was tilt and raised my big blind 5 times in a row from the small one. I finally got pokat tens and raised him and called his push. He had A5 and my hand won. Then the next hand the letterman limp in on the button and I raise with AQ and he called flop was Q 4 4 and he called my pot bet. Then I checked the turn card because I knew he was tilt and very very mad and would bet . He shoved and I called and he had A3. Hahahah the 10NL games are a funny joke.

So I played tight and the holdem manager says VPIP is 26 and PFR is 13. I think I need to make these more the same???

One other thing I have a question for how do you guys get the bars that track show the dollars in your bankroll. I see these on the posts and I wonder where they are on the web?

I am going to check on the animals and then go to bed soon. I play more tomorrow I have lots of time for poker because I did work today all that was needed.

Otter
    Going down from 100NL to 10NL takes some time for acclimatizing.

I did a 20NL experiment some days ago, and I quickly realized I had to change my game to some extents.

Players at micro can be divided into two groups.

1. Wannabees. These guys have started their journey to greatness. They are serious and try to play TAG. However, since they do not like to gamble- their game often turns into Tight/weak. These are the players we need to respect when they bet.

2. Failures. Failures are losers in poker. They have little knowledge about the game and have unrealistic expectations. Failures have glaring weaknesses which should be easy to exploit once you spot them.

At micros- people 3-bet a tighter range than in 100NL. In QQ hand we should be very wary about UTG. He 4 bets you- this is usually incredible strong if player is a Wannabe. 5 betting here is intrinsically not wrong- because a lot of fish calls with much worse.

I usually never fold QQ in 6-max. My thinking is that unless I have good reasons to fold I push.

KT hand is fine IMO. I especially like your flop play. This was brilliant, because it misrepresents your hand and makes it look like a draw. Gives you extra value on turn. There is no way you can check/fold or bet/fold turn so well played.

GG
    A foolish man learns nothing from his mistakes.
    A smart man learns only from his own mistakes.
    A wise man learns from his own mistakes, and those of the smart man and the fool.
    The rest of FTR and I want more updates!

Your VPIP is too high compared to your PFR.
    How are your animals doing, and how is your operation going?
    Boondock the Bot-Slayer

-'rilla
    Ha posting this right before I went to bed actually made me have a dream I had a pet otter that swam in a river by my house. In my dream I kept buying minnows from the bait store and I'd throw them in the water to get his attention then he would jump out and I'd carry him around and show people. Pretty weird.
    Boondock the Bot-Slayer

-'rilla
    Quote Originally Posted by BoondockSaint
    Ha posting this right before I went to bed actually made me have a dream I had a pet otter that swam in a river by my house. In my dream I kept buying minnows from the bait store and I'd throw them in the water to get his attention then he would jump out and I'd carry him around and show people. Pretty weird.
    This made me lol pretty hard. Going to bed now, I´ll post results tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    Quote Originally Posted by XTR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by BoondockSaint
    This made me lol pretty hard. Going to bed now, I´ll post results tomorrow.
    lol. Good luck. It was actually a pretty cool dream overall. You won't be disappointed if you have one too
    Boondock the Bot-Slayer

-'rilla
    Hai everyone I am back to FTR. I have not been playing many hands of poker recently because I learning better English and expanding my Farm. You see the old man from the other farm next to the nearby my farm has died. Now he is dead I bought his land from his daughter and am ordering lots of new animals to pasture on it. Because the summer has been bery long and hard and there was not as much moisture as we had expected on the news.

I went back to the poker stars and added $6000. I will be playing 600NL no limit because it is too boring to play the 10NL no limit games. I have lots of extra money from winning cattle competions in the summer and feel good about life and my properities (I am not sure if I should say prosperities or properties they were smudged together in the dictionary.

I will be playing a tight game and only raising the premium hands.

Please don't be scolding at me FTR for playing the higher games. I can't play the lower one because it is bad for my development as player.

I will let you know how my progress is good. And thankyou for not deleting my thread OP because it hasn't been a short time I have vacated the FTR for. My english will hopefully be improving as well and I will be able to understand more of you people. I leanred about the participles today in my class. One of the men in my class doesn't like me and shouted at my face because I was making animal noises because I felt worried and anxiety.

Hope to see you all soon here.

Otter.
    LOL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

INB4ROBUSTO!
    dumbest level-fail evah!
    your banner burned here
    I dun care, i luz his avatar!
    This is going to be the experiment many noobs have asked about, "move up where they respect the raises" could be an interesting read. What's going to be interesting is how OP plans to beat $600NL without ever playing there with 10 BI's
    Can we interest you in werewolf ?
    Hi everyone. thank you for not having deleting my thread I know it has been long of a time since the last I posted on this ftrs. I have played some poker this year and have lost all of my money. I played 600NL then 400NL then 200NL all no limit games on pokerstars and I lost all my money. I have came to decide some things of today. I am a bad poker player and I am very bad at learning the things of improvement. I went to see the doctor yesterday. He said that my results were that I was much having dyslexia and that I was unable to do many things of logic because I had very influential emotions. He said I can not control myself and am not fit to run a farm without these new medications.

These things make me very sad. I am unable to learn to best english because I am disabled in learning things of logic. I can know something and then not know it later on that day. I know of the things of the past that this is not from new times but from old. I have been very not remembering for many years of now. I have to get a health worker to come round to my farm to make sure I am not ruining the animals but i have had animals all my life. I love animals and I love the idea of being of a great poker player. It seems I will not become not of this sadness just now because it is what I am in the inside and I can not change these things. I will try to take up poker so I have things of this to tell you about. I thought i had to post this here because the people of this online village have been caring and warm and kindness to me before. I am sorry I have not played 10NL no limit games, but I am too emotional to do that. I will try to do that now.

I feel sad by the medications the doctor gave of me. I feel like I will not ever lose the animals or my job because that is my life. I will try to rebuild and try to get good at poker and english but not being able to learn very much of logic things is hard to me. I will first take these tablets and then make sure the farm is okay. I know from inside of my heart that there is nothing of animals I can not be well. I am not losing the animals inside of my heart.

I feel very sad and alone. i have no more english class because that I was not learning well for them to keep me to next levels and more. I will let you people know how I do when I play the 10NL games with no limit after I make sure my farm and my animals are bested. Thank you everyone here I feel I will have friendship and trustness in this place when i can not control my sadness and of my own self control the things of logic and I think poker is one of them. I hope you understand this what I have said when I can not do well at english because of sad of my.
    bumpaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter_Brothface View Post
    One of the men in my class doesn't like me and shouted at my face because I was making animal noises because I felt worried and anxiety.
    Possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on FTR.

Otter, keep working on that english. It seems to me that your earlier posts were easier to understand. I think that may be because you've been practicing less. Practice it more.

As far as poker, you have to decide, do you play poker to win $ or to have fun and entertainment? If you're playing to win $, start back over at the bottom and prove to yourself that you can beat the lower levels. You'll feel better about poker and yourself if you can beat a lower level and move up.
    Donk Skills:
    #1 The bluff call
    #2 The Drawing-Dead Value Bet
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
    Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator