Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

AJo OOP..great spot for turn check raise?

Default AJo OOP..great spot for turn check raise?

Game is 50p/£1, we're 7 handed and I raise from HJ with to £4. Button flats, blinds fold and we go to a flop.

Effective stack is around 225bb.

Villain doesn't play many hands (wouldn't be far off calling him a nit) but when he does he has shown down some weird hands (Q6s after raising in EP and K7s after raising UTG) I'm not really sure how to categorize him tbh. I don't think villain is a 'thinking' player and he pretty much plays his cards only. I also know he is capable of making big folds.

Pot is £9.50. Flop is

I check (is this a mistake?) and villain bets $4. I call.

Pot is £17.50. Turn is

I check, villain bets £11 and he does so fairly quickly. I check-raised to £34. I figure I have a ton of outs and can get some overpairs (tens, maybe jacks w/ no diamond to fold) and hands like A9, T9 and possibly all the two-pair combos villain can have (98, 97, 87) to fold as well.

Is check-raising turn good play or do we want to just call and try to hit?

If we miss and the river completely bricks, are we firing again? If so, how much?
    Last edited by Cobra_1878; 04-11-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    The check/call the flop is good,but probabily the turn i would just check/call again.As you played ch/raise the turn,if we miss the river (pot like 85,5 £) ,shot him like 55 £
    A pretty good player told me recently that someone betting quickly on this type of turn generally doesn't have a flush. I had never noticed that tell before, FWIW. But since he's a nit and can make big folds and doesn't have the nuts, I like it if we follow up on all rivers....except maybe c/f rivers that pair the board.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    I would just check call the turn because like you said you had a handful of outs, if you don't hit the river you could throw a bluff out using some of the money you saved by just calling the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_1878 View Post
    I check (is this a mistake?)
    I usually do a continuation bet on that flop. A lot of lesser broadway type hands missed - we still have the best hand much of the time.

Hard to say if check-raising the turn is a good idea. It's getting pretty straighty out there so that's a factor.
    flop can go both way... depending on your opponent
    if you are expecting to get bluffraised a lot then it's ok to x-call , but vs fairly unknown I would probably cbet given the backdoor equity we have..
    as played you should x-call turn
    x-raising is just very weird and it's putting you into tough spot if you get rejamed on with hand that has so much equity
    also you ain't just x-calling turn to hit.. when you x-called flop you expected from villain to bet a lot
    Given his turn sizing, I think turn c/c is fine and can even look to c/r on most rivers (regardless of if diamond or not).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks