Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumPoker News, Reviews, Tools

Holdem Manager (Next Generation Tracker)

Default Holdem Manager (Next Generation Tracker)

A major rival to PT3:

www.holdemmanager.net

I haven't really seen this software mentioned on here before so thought maybe it deserves a thread.

Let me start by saying that I am in no way affiliated with holdem manager or RVG software, I am just a happy customer.

I'm not going to go into any detail on the features etc as I'm sure all is explained on their website and in this 2+2 thread http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1535

All I will say is that it is fucking awesome and you should definately give the free trial a go. There is practicall no comparison between HM and all the other trackers currently on the market (I'm sure this will change when PT3 is released).

The one bad thing have to say about this software is that it's not *quite* finished. The HUD is a tad unstable and the bonus/rakeback tracking feature is currently out of use until the next update, but this is counter-balanced by lightning-fast support and new features being added almost weekly.

Once again, I gain absolutely nothing by posting this. Although my post is not particularly informative I assure you this is not spam. I am simply notifying FTR users of it's existance and giving my opinion on the product.

I may post details / screenshots upon request once I finish tonights session.
    PLEASE READ ULTIMATE BET THREAD IN "ONLINE POKER ROOMS" FORUM
    Wait, this is .05/.10 and you got sexied, I can't believe that shit, limit must really be dying.[/quote]
    I'm really dumb, so basically you have to use their HUD for this to work at the tables?
    It comes with its own HUD but 3rd party HUDs are available.

FWIW the HUD is actually awesome, it just has a few stability problems at the moment
    PLEASE READ ULTIMATE BET THREAD IN "ONLINE POKER ROOMS" FORUM
    Wait, this is .05/.10 and you got sexied, I can't believe that shit, limit must really be dying.[/quote]
    No support for Merge Network?
    Does it run on a Mac (or is that a silly question)?
    Trip reports from anyone using this? I'm thinking about buying it in the next week or two...
    Timely bump, I just bought it this week. The tracker has def gotten a few nice improvements since the release, it's much easier to add/remove stats and filters from reports now so it's very easy to get exactly the data you want out of it.

The hand replayer really sucks, I'd rather use the one in PokerEV for now as it overlays equity and stats.

The HUD is really super awesome feature-wise, think RTHUD on steroids. However.. getting it set up is a real bitch if you want single stat placement and not just a panel with all the stats for a player. I spent probably 2 hours getting it set up just the way I want it earlier today. More importantly, whenever I opened up a new table my PC would freeze for around 3-5 sec. This kind of lag is really not acceptable for me.

Anyways, I'd still buy it just for the tracker. It's not like $80 is a big part of your roll. If I was on a budget I'd probably try using RTHUD until HM is more stable (I'd still try out the 2500-hands trial of HM though) or PT3/PEV/other trackers have more stable releases out.
    It appears the hud doesn't like to have all the stats in separate panels. Tried out now with 5x3 stats pr player instead of 15x1, worked much better. Was still not able to play 6 tables and mine 6 tables in the background, but at least just playing 6 went perfectly fine. Gonna take it for a spin in a "real" session with all my scripts etc running.
    Update:
    As long as you play less than ~10-12 tables it's totally acceptable. I'm still kinda disappointed that it performs worse than PAHUD on my PC, but then again it does alot more stuff with its popups etc so that may be expected. They are obviously also constantly updating it, so performance will probably improve in the future. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone playing maybe 100NL def 200NL or higher, it probably pays for itself before PT3/PEV are released and fully usable anyway.

Now I just gotta figure out a way to use the HUD when 16-tabling 20BB for FPP's/RB without it killing my PC. Don't want to use PAHUD just for that because then I'll have to keep the PT database updated.

Also, as noted before, the hand replayer sucks.
    tyty Halv
    ywyw

edit:
    btw I wouldn't make this recommendation lightly. I got really pissed off when they decided to "go public" when the app should've still been in beta just to get some customers before the PT3 public beta got out.
    Here's another little update as I've been using it for a few days.

First about the datamining in the background thing - there's an option "disable hud stats when there's no hero" that takes care of the lag. Obviously this means that you can't look at a table's stats for table selection purposes, but I use SpadeEye for that anyway. Speaking of which, it seems that SE scans much faster when using the HM database than the PT db, though I've read reports of the opposite in the SE forums so ymmv.

The popup stats in the hud are very nice, though a little too detailed/cluttered for my liking. Haven't gotten around to customizing them yet, that should take care of it.

Occasionally some of the hud stats get put it weird places like 10cm to the left of the table, this appears to be random and dragging them back into place is a pain in the ass.

I think the next update will include stat placement locking and also a new replayer, this should hopefully take care of all my needs.
    I love HM also - but I am a bit biased, as I made the Mucked Cards for the HUD.

Poker Observer HUD is a nice 3rd party beta HUD, that works well with HM (I made his Mucked Cards too ).

FWIW - I have been long since paid for my HUD Cards work, and do not receive any future compensation from either company. My opinions are my own, based on my own experiences testing the tracker playing 4-6 tables.

I have also been testing PT3 beta along side HM. I finally got sick of how slow PT3 is to populate each tab of data, compared to HM. I was planning on testing the PT3 HUD beta as well, but I finally got tired of the performance issues. It takes way too long to populate a simple General Tab of a 50k hand DB, IMO.

I
    Would you all suggest this over PT3? I don't really know much about each and I'm really really lazy.
    This thing is really cool. Has any stat you could ever think of and the HUD is very detailed. The only problem I have is it reallllly slows down my computer and takes forever just to load. When playing 4 tables, it lags a lot and I've timed out before. I'm hoping there is some way to fix this.

Edit: This thing made me lose a medium pot and 4 bet shove 77 allin. I hit the 7 ld0 but wtf, so laggggy
    I've been using it for a couple weeks now and have had no problems with lag or anything. I 9 table. Might want to make sure something isn't set up wrong for you. It does take a while to load, but still much much faster than what I was using before (poker office). Don't know how it compares to PT though.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Elmer Letterman
    how many hands do you guys have it take to update on your HUD? I have it at the default 5 and not sure if maybe that's why it keeps freezing my comp?
    I don't have it running right now, I'll check, but I'm almost positive my HUD updates every single hand.
    Had to close HEM last night because every other hand would time out 4 tabling. NO other program has ever been laggy on my computer other than this. I really want to be able to 10+ table but it doesn't look anywhere possible. My database only has like 80k hands in it, do you think if I started a new one it'd help at all? I suck at anything computer related so I have no idea.
    That shouldn't be it, my database has like 170k hands. You should email HEM support or post on their forum. Maybe its something simple, but it definitely shouldn't act that way. GL.
    My db has around 5M hands, so that shouldnt be an issue.

They released a new hud test update today, go to their forums>HUD General to find the link. I can now 16-table ipoker with almost no lag at all, whereas before it would lag a little bit constantly and be unplayable with more than 6-7 tables. It still lags a little when opening/closing tables at around 12 tables or so, but I think that might be the ipoker software itself. Haven't tested the new version at party yet, hopefully it'll be just as fast.

Still awaiting stat placement locking on the HUD, a better replayer, and support for different timezones, all of which are in the roadmap for the next release.
    You fixed it, Halv! TY!

Not really, but their forums helped me out with this a few days ago and all is well! I REALLY like this program!!
    I'm pretty pissed with the PT guys atm, so this is looking promising.
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    You won't regret it Benjamin
    loving the new HM. It takes some getting used to but I think a few upgrades and it will be on par. It's easily a better program, just some of the things PT had I would like to see
    Yeah, loving this.

Question, any guides to extracting information out of it? I'm a little lost on the reporting page...
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    WTF? How did you guys get this running? I can't get pass connecting to postgresql. I have PT2, I don't remember having to set this up with it. It keeps screwing up when it goes to the download mirror page that I don't understand and then tells me to try saving in a different location. I don't know how to dl in a different location so wtf?

I'm gonna shoot myself.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    Oh. it worked when I used ms explorer.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    Just bought holdem manager but cant get the bloody thing working, this is probably caused by me having windows vista xp and the fact im a computer noob. Basically i got to the final part of downloading postgresql and it said it had failed. The first thing it says is to disable user access control-users section in the control panel, ive looked through all the components of my control panel and i cant find/have missed the aforementioned section...any ideas? Also wont let me run the shortcut in administrator mode which is apparntly crucial to getting postgresql to run properly :/.
    Vista indeed does suck for postgres intallations
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzard
    He has a complete step-by=step on the HM site. idiot proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms
    Yeah... but programs should like just install, not have to go to a website and follow a step by step guide on how to install something. Overall Vista sucks, Windows 7 here we come.
    the sad thing is i actually followed the guide and still epically failed, guess the guide isnt retard proof.
    "This sure beats Super Mario Bros.!" is my ejaculation catch phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms
    Are you talkign about this guide??

http://www.holdemmanager.net/Postgre...tall_Help.html

His step by step guide sucks esp for Vista. It mentions nothing about turning off UAC or creating a postgres accoun in windows - which you will need to do. The guide is fine for XP, but then you wouldnt even need a guide if you were installing on XP

1. Turn off the Windows Vista User Account Contral (UAC). This is done
    from Users in the Control Panel.

2. Enable the Vista 'Administrator' user account. By default it is disabled.
    - In the Start Menu, right click on Computer, select Manage
    - In System Tools / Local Users and Groups / Users, open the
    properties of the Administrator account and enable it. You will have
    to assign a new password to the account. Installation will not work
    from a regular account with administrator rights, it must be this
    master Administrator account.

3. Create a new standard limited user account called postgres. Give it
    a password. The PostgreSQL installer can not create this account in
    Vista so do it ahead of time yourself.
    I am so disappointed with HM. I wanted to trial their software and although their website states that they support Ongame, I can't get it to work and I'm apparently not the only one. The programmers are quiet about it.

Anyone here who actually manages to play Ongame with HoldemManager?
    Yes, I'm using HM on Ongame.
    For the moment you need the Idleminer Ongame Handgrabber to grab the hands in .txt. They cannot yet import the hands from the Ongame db.
    Hey jimmy whats it like using HM on OnGame compared to using PT, wrt how much resources it uses?
    I can only compare to PT2 as I've tried only once to install PT3 and could not make it work (who did not had problems )
    I must say that ressources wise, HM vs PT2&HUD is seems to be in favor of HM. Furthermore, during a 3hours session I had normally to restart HUD 3 times due to crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy44
    I can only compare to PT2 as I've tried only once to install PT3 and could not make it work (who did not had problems )
    I must say that ressources wise, HM vs PT2&HUD is seems to be in favor of HM. Furthermore, during a 3hours session I had normally to restart HUD 3 times due to crashes.
    The current build of PT3 is pretty stable, I haven't had it crash at all yet. Build 13 ftw.
    Pahud runs horribly on my puter. It lags with 6 tables. HEM runs good with 12 tables.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy44
    The current build of PT3 is pretty stable, I haven't had it crash at all yet. Build 13 ftw.
    OnGame is pretty resource intensive, I'm looking for the one that takes up the least resources, I'm sure they'll both produce stable versions eventually. If they got free trials then I can find out for myself I suppose.