Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumPoker News, Reviews, Tools

Tournament Trimmer (and issues)

Default Tournament Trimmer (and issues)

FTR recently released a tool which will make posting/analyzing entire tournament histories easier. Basically, it converts histories into the form that Lambchop posted his tournament (save that M values and such are now correct). It takes less than a minute to run on anything but the largest history, and it will even combine separate files (since Party, Dise and some others don't provide histories in one file). It currently supports histories from PokerStars, Party Poker, and Paradise. Ultimate Bet and Full Tilt will be supported within a week (as soon as I can get a complete FT history). Absolute shouldn't be too far behind that.

Check it out: http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com...-Converter.php

I should note that the program is currently in version 0.6. That's pre-version 1.0, so it's still very much a beta. Expect some issues (fewer with Stars and Party than on other sites). I'll be working the kinks out as quickly as I can.

Please post any issues related to the Tournament Trimmer (bugs, etc.) in this thread.
    I run a training site...

Check out strategy videos at GrinderSchool.com, from $10 / month.
    Great tool, thank you for your hard work
    75% of online poker players believe they are better than 75% of the other online poker players

My piece of cyberspace real estate : http://ornatepush.blogspot.com
    Ok help the computer retard out.

I have a $30 rebuy tourney from paradise which is in 5 sections (each hour) in my hotmail account.

How do I get that into the trimmer?

I.e. what do I need to do to get the e-mail into a file and then what exactly do I put in the "file name to use for the output" prompt?

Thanks
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian
    Ok help the computer retard out.

I have a $30 rebuy tourney from paradise which is in 5 sections (each hour) in my hotmail account.

How do I get that into the trimmer?

I.e. what do I need to do to get the e-mail into a file and then what exactly do I put in the "file name to use for the output" prompt?

Thanks
    First step is to copy the histories from your hotmail account into text files. To do this, open each email, highlight everything, copy it, and then paste it into notepad. Save it/them with file names that are relatively easy to type. Make sure when you save it that the last line of dashes from the email is NOT in the file. Each of the five files should end with the line before the dashes in the email Paradise sent.

Then run the Trimmer. Ignore the possible prompts; just double-click on it. Tell it that it is a Paradise HH (PA) when it asks. Type whatever filename you want for output (when it asks). Type the number 5 (when it asks how many files...unless you've saved them all into one file). When it asks for input files, type each name exactly, including the .txt at the end. The output should all be in a single file with everything from each input file combined together.

In some cases, Paradise has errors in their histories (where they just don't print a line). I try to recover from this, but in some cases these errors may cause the current version of the program to fail. If you run into this, please let me know and send me the related HH so I can address it in a future version.

Did all of that make sense?
    I run a training site...

Ok I have now saved my 5 hour blocks into 5 notepad texts saved as Hour1-Hour5.

Just to test it out I did the following.

Site: PA (I'm assuming that's Paradise and not PP which I figured was Party)

File for output: Hour1

How many files? 1 (just wanted to test it).

Please enter input file: Hour1.txt

It then says checking first hand, but nothing happens.

Am I supposed to cut and paste the file into the input file part?
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian
    Ok I have now saved my 5 hour blocks into 5 notepad texts saved as Hour1-Hour5.

Just to test it out I did the following.

Site: PA (I'm assuming that's Paradise and not PP which I figured was Party)

File for output: Hour1

How many files? 1 (just wanted to test it).

It then says checking first hand, but nothing happens.

Am I supposed to cut and paste the file into the input file part?
    Hmm...trying to save over the same file that it's reading in will cause problems under the current version. I doubt that's the issue you're seeing, but it's something I'll need to address.

It sounds like it's not finding something that it needs for processing...Would you mind emailing me the HourX.txt files so I can check them and reproduce the error? My testing for 'Dise was probably a little less intense than it should have been, since I don't play there all that often (and didn't have access to a ton of histories).
    I run a training site...

The first hand history I ran got stuck on reading first hand also, i just ran it again and told it the exact location of the file eg :
    Please enter input file: C:\Hour1.txt
    instead of

worked fine after that for me
    75% of online poker players believe they are better than 75% of the other online poker players

My piece of cyberspace real estate : http://ornatepush.blogspot.com
    Good point, TanO. Either the files need to be in the same folder as the program, or you have to write the exact location (e.g. C:\FolderHHisIn\Hour1.txt)

I'll update the Readme accordingly with the next release.
    I run a training site...

Gave it a PS headsup SNG, and it got stuck in some loop, using all of my CPU cycles...
    Does the input file need to be in the same directory as Tournament Trimmer, or do I need to specify the file path? Also, how long should this be taking normally?
    Quote Originally Posted by natdang
    Gave it a PS headsup SNG, and it got stuck in some loop, using all of my CPU cycles...
    Does the input file need to be in the same directory as Tournament Trimmer, or do I need to specify the file path? Also, how long should this be taking normally?
    Yes, you must either have the input file in the same directory as the Tournament Trimmer OR you must specify the path. Currently, you also must type the ".txt" extension at the end of the filename. One of those two issues is usually responsible for the type of infinite loop you're seeing.

Normal execution is a matter of seconds on small tournaments - perhaps a minute on large MTTs.
    I run a training site...

Jeffrey,

When you get it into php format, is there any way it could include the HH converter as well, to convert the hands you do play in?

Just curious.
    BLOG!;
    READ
    COMMENT
    I honestly don't know. I've thought about that as well. A side issue is that doing so disables a reader from developing ANY reads on the opponents at the table, since their names disappear.
    I run a training site...

Possibly I guess, unless of course you use the Aliases, but I think you can only do 3 or maybe 5 - then again, having you plus 5 others to the flop isn't that likely I guess.
    BLOG!;
    READ
    COMMENT
    Jeffrey,

I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff... I tried to use this but it didnt find the file I saved into notepad ? help?
    jdubs, you need to make sure that you have extracted the tt.exe file from the zip file and that the file you made is in the same folder as tt.exe. If you're using a version before 0.7, you need to make sure you type the file name exactly (including .txt on the end).

Let me know if none of that solves your problem. Also, what version are you using and what site is the history for?
    I run a training site...

I can' t get the tournament trimmer to work w/ Full Tilt SNG's. I've got the latest version, but when I try to run it on a FT SNG file it just hangs, never completes. Works great with Poker Stars. Any ideas?
    Hi,

Could someone please help me to get this working? I have unzipped the files, run the executable in the same folder as my hand history (PokerStars).

Error message - "Could not find file:new.txt....."

It definitely exists, so I'm not sure why this isn't working.

Thanks.
    ive been wanting to post a tournament using this but ive had problems

first copy pasted a poker stars hand history into a text file [from email]

ran tt.exe [i have it in the same folder as the hand history file]

selected PS

imput file is sng.txt

output file i decided to call output.txt

then i get the message "Debug error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unususal way..."

i have the latest version
    Quote Originally Posted by fjuanl
    then i get the message "Debug error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unususal way..."

i have the latest version
    I get errors sometimes too. Try editing your sng.txt file by opening it in notepad and adding an extra blank line at the bottom of the file. Next save it and try running the trimmer again.

Let us know if that helps.
    that did it, thanks eric
    Quote Originally Posted by fjuanl
    that did it, thanks eric
    Cool, You're welcome. Hopefully we won't have to do the extra blank line step when the next version comes out.
    Ok, Im having trouble with this...

I have saved a sit & go history from PS in text file. Iv called it SNG1

I've saved the file to the same place as the tt file.

I clicked extract all when I went into the trimmer file and then put the info into the trimmer but i dont think im putting the details in right.

What do I enter in the follwing sections:

Please enter input file:
    Please enter the file name to use for output:

cheers, im no use at this stuff lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Random_Hero
    Ok, Im having trouble with this...

I have saved a sit & go history from PS in text file. Iv called it SNG1

I've saved the file to the same place as the tt file.

I clicked extract all when I went into the trimmer file and then put the info into the trimmer but i dont think im putting the details in right.

What do I enter in the follwing sections:

Please enter input file:
    Please enter the file name to use for output:

cheers, im no use at this stuff lol...
    Try this:
    Please enter input file: SNG1.txt
    Please enter the file name to use for output: SNG1SUMMARY.txt
    cheers that worked...

I take it thats what to enter everytime?

your a star

note says - consider posting 40 full hands per post.

to clarify, I take it that means to save 40 hands to text each time?
    cheers that worked...

I take it thats what to enter everytime?

your a star

note says - consider posting 40 full hands per post.

to clarify, I take it that means to save 40 hands to text each time?
    I'm glad you got it going.

If you want to save your files then use unique names each time.
    For example, use:
    Please enter input file: SNG2.txt
    Please enter the file name to use for output: SNG2SUMMARY.txt
    next time and
    Please enter input file: SNG3.txt
    Please enter the file name to use for output: SNG3SUMMARY.txt
    the third time and so on...

The 40 hand recommendation is because many forums (like ours) limit posts to 65,535 characters. If you have a long summary and you want to make sure the summary does not get cut off in the forum then break it up into individual posts of 40 hands at a time.
    I can't get TT to work at all.

I have a txt file from a PS SnG saved in the same folder as tt.exe called SnG.txt.

I enter:
    PS
    Input: SnG.txt
    Output: SnGsummary.txt

I get the following message:

Checking first hand...
    Could not find file SnG.txt.
    Please double check the file name for proper spelling.
    Capitilazation much match exactly.

Press any key to continue...

Any clues here? Thanks.
    Dont know if this is the right place to post requests/suggestions for future releases, but I have one suggestion.

On folded hands that have a raise in front of you (like this
    [5s 6d] MP1 (M=48.33; f+r+F))

It would be helpful to see the raise amount.

Quote Originally Posted by xero.luck
    I can' t get the tournament trimmer to work w/ Full Tilt SNG's. I've got the latest version, but when I try to run it on a FT SNG file it just hangs, never completes. Works great with Poker Stars. Any ideas?
    Same problem. Is there anyone who has used this w/ Full Tilt?
    Is there a problem with the trimmer?

after iv put the details in:

PS
    SNG1.txt
    SNG1SUMMARY.txt

I get an error message saying

"Debug error

This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information

(press retry to debug application)"

ANYONE?
    JeffreyGB has a new web-based version that will be released shortly. Rather than trying to sort things out with the old version, let's go through the items in this thread with the new version.
    I need mine fixed now though... doh!!
    Random_Hero, please try your history on the new http://www.flopturnriver.com/trimmer/tt.php version and let us know if you get the same error.

Warning: This new version isn't live yet, we are still in the test phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by StageWhisper
    Quote Originally Posted by xero.luck
    Same problem. Is there anyone who has used this w/ Full Tilt?
    Currently the new http://www.flopturnriver.com/trimmer/tt.php test version can handle Full Tilt so long as there is only 1 input file. Please test it out and post feedback here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Random_Hero, please try your history on the new http://www.flopturnriver.com/trimmer/tt.php version and let us know if you get the same error.

Warning: This new version isn't live yet, we are still in the test phase.
    this worked perfectly... Thanks Eric!!
    New thread, specific to the PHP version: http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...=467302#467302
    I run a training site...

hi
    when trying to convert my PartyPoker Handhistory with the trimmer i get "Hand data missing or Hero did not play in hand." instead of the normal lines containing my hand and M
    dunno why... plz help
    thx in advance =]
    Party Poker has changed their hand history format slightly since the last downloadable version was released. That version is no longer being supported. Please use the php version at http://www.flopturnriver.com/trimmer/tt.php

Also, please include the version number of the Trimmer if you have any problems in the future.
    I run a training site...

edit: posted the problem in the php thread
    Jeffrey, if it hasn't already been brought-up, can you modify your trimmer to give the amount of the pot throughout the hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprayed
    Jeffrey, if it hasn't already been brought-up, can you modify your trimmer to give the amount of the pot throughout the hand?
    Will do in the next version...but that may be a little while in the making.
    I run a training site...

Jefrey,

Once again, thanks for a great tool!

I just notice that with Party Poker the M does not get displayed, instead we see "M=???" (check the tourney ID 371, the last one I've trimmed)

Cheers!
    I know PP M was working at one time. They may have changed something about the format. I'll add it to the list of things to look at...it'll have to wait for more progress on the HH converter though.

Thanks for mentioning it!
    I run a training site...