Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Hi

A few of you might have seen some initial posts I made on hands from brick & mortar game rooms, but I'm new here. I go through phases of playing because of my work schedule. I work overseas in a country where gambling is illegal, gambling websites are blocked and other associated shenanigans. So when I'm on R&R I get to play a bit, of course my play is not very consistent. Needless to say, over the next few months I'll get to read a bunch of poker theory books and then start to play again live at the end of the summer.
    Hi Moxie, good to see you posting and being a part of the community although the situation in your country is difficult at the moment. Are you currently in UAE?

There are some great poker books out there. Personally I'm a fan of the ones that tell a story, such as Barry Greenstein's Ace on the River and Stu Ungar: One of a Kind. If it's basics you're looking for, Harrington on Hold'em and Super System are educational.

Best of luck in the meantime at the B&M tables you get to play whenever you travel.

-David
    Thanks. I actually work over in Afghanistan, and probably a few other middle eastern countries soon. I'd also recommend Harrington's books, and of course Doyle's SS.

For the others who are looking for some reading material:

Small Stakes Hold Em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth
    No Limit Hold Em Theory and Practice by Sklansky and Miller
    Phil Gordon's Little ___ Book Series
    and surprisingly enough: The illustrated guide to texas hold em by Purdy was quite good. It goes over many of the 156 starting hands in various positions.
    checkout Applications of No Limit Holdem by Matthew Janda... really good book