Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Betting to get a free card

Default Betting to get a free card

Well I do this sometimes
    Especially when there's a chance all my opponents fold

Should I do it when there's an ace on the board? I mean, if no one has the ace, those people are likely to just fold unless they have a draw too. If I hit on the next card, I could make the ace pay off since I play low limit games :/

There are people who call without the ace though... and then when I bet the turn they fold giving me no money for my flush :/

I don't know if this semi bluff / free card deal works out with the ace on the board. I mean you're basically representing an ace which you could do any time with no draw

If there's an ace on the board, is it better to wait for someone to bet instead?

Or should I slow-play when I make my draw?

It of course depends on the amount of people in the hand. Against one or two people it becomes more of a bluff, against the entire table it becomes purely the attempt to get a free card. People with weak aces might prefer to check the turn then.

Also, does this work better in late or early position? Being the last one to act, I will always just look at the turn without the risk of being check raised on the flop. But maybe it's a play still worth making?

Of course this doesn't work against people who don't remember what happened on the flop by the time they see the turn.
    I do this a lot. I avoid getting c/r 'ed on the turn if you go for the free card. I bet to get more money in the pot in case I do hit my draw. The more multi-way the pot, the more likely I am to do it.

I'm apt to do it less often if there is an ace on the flop if you notice people on your table playing A-rag. These players are usually calling stations and it never occurs to them that they could be outkicked. They will call you all the way down hoping to spike their kicker or that you are bluffing.

If I try this play, the only time I try it is if I'm last to act or if there is one person to act after me who sess a lot of flops and then drops when he doesn't connect.

If everyone shows weakness on the flop, I'm sure not going to. I can spend one SB to see both the turn and river if I want by betting from LP on the flop. They don't know you are on a draw. You bet and they think your hand is made. Make them pay to draw along with you.

"A lot of fortunes are made on what you don't play."--"Miami" John Cernuto
    Betting for a free card also tends to work more often (unless you're against a check/raise happy field, then just take the $%*& free turn card and cackle with glee when the SB/BB leads the turn.) Also, it gives less information than raising for a free card does.