Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Stars Double or Nothing Tournaments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think they're only simpler if you've not played xxxxxxx SNGs and are used to that ICM push fold game. Adjusting between the 2 is uber hard.

Ridiculous tabling is easy in SNGs with the right scripts and hardware (If your game is good enough to handle it )

Buy me a new PC and I'll show you
    This is not my signature. I just write this at the bottom of every post.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerwizard
    Ridiculous tabling is easy in SNGs with the right scripts and hardware (If your game is good enough to handle it )
    What sort of scripts are you referring to?
    ones that click the time bank for you if you're busy, and ones that set the amount of the raise (or the push) via 1 click, so that these things can be done quickly
    ones that click the time bank for you if you're busy, and ones that set the amount of the raise (or the push) via 1 click, so that these things can be done quickly
    Aye, I was checking out a site right now... amazing the world that has slipped me by. Doesn't the time bank auto-start on most sites? It does on Stars anyway.
    Whew I guess i answered my own question I moved up one level in DON... I'm 6/18 ITM at that level. Guess i'll keep grinding the old level lol.
    My strat is basically sitting out through Blind level 3 (exception of monsters of course) then blind stealing in mid blinds on up. This has been working for me very effectively until... well today lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeythebear
    My strat is basically sitting out through Blind level 3 (exception of monsters of course) then blind stealing in mid blinds on up.
    The first part of this statement, fold a lot of hands early, is a good strategy. However, you have to be very careful with blind stealing, especially with an average stack. Raising and then having to fold to a push is probably the worst thing that can happen in these DoNs.

Your strategy should be mainly fold, fold, fold, with an occasional push.
    I'm way more successfull ultra multitabling then I am moving up in stakes. I've been doing a number of DoN experiments lately to find where I'm the most profitable. Rather than move up in limits, and struggle with only 6 games, I am much more profitable staying at the $5-10 limit and playing 12-16 games at once. It also helps to be in the right setting of mind (seriously!). If I'm not on my game i'm just not, I cant force it. I think i can overanalyze things, which is why I actually think i'm playing my A-game when
    A: I've had a few drinks
    B: I'm listening to some killer dance/techno
    C: I've had a relatively unstressful day

What do you guys think?
    (I'm going to keep this topic alive forever)
    A is stellar BS
    I've run about 200 of these mostly at the 5.20 level and a few at the 10.40 level. I 8 and 10 tabled most of these sets. 177/204 at the moment. They are super easy, honestly. (Though I may be running a little hot at them...?) Either way, I feel that 140/200 is definitely not a hard task and very feasible for the regs here. You just have to make a few tricky adjustments.

Do what these guys said....fold fold fold fold fold.....limp SCs early... only OCCASIONALLY limp monsters in those middle blind levels; its always fun....and play a great P/F game late. And here is my motto for tough situations: "when in doubt, fold." Especially at these levels, guys will take themselves out with horrible calls on the next hand if you're patient enough.

And I actually agree with the boring comment, as well as the "I didn't accomplish anything" comment. But who the hell cares? I"M PAID! lol....

oh yea, and "a few drinks".....really? Please come to my table tipsy!

"Gotta run well eventually."
    Quote Originally Posted by Im_new
    And here is my motto for tough situations: "when in doubt, fold."
    I think this is very good advice.
    Whew! I just went 2/10 then 12/0. Now that's variance! lol.

I think early and late game speaks for itself, the key to being good at these is good play at the 50/100-75/150 blind levels. before that, it's fold exception monsters, after that, it's push fold only, no "playing".
    On Fulltilt you have to manually hit your time bank.
    I've read some comments re: 'why wouldn't you play them, they're a money-maker.... sure they're boring but are +EV..... I play to win and not for entertainment'... etc. etc.
    Players play for many different reasons and different motivations. I personally enjoy playing mostly for the thrill of competition ('playing to win'). Winning money is cool (obviously) and can be used as an indicator as to how well I'm doing.
    I prefer playing games where I'm able to expand on the levels of thinking, where I can be striving to learn more & more, & more. I can't sit down at my computer & grind out the DON's,... I'd personally rather be putting in more hours at my job (which gives me a greater sense of accomplishment than DONs do).
    The time I invest on my computer playing poker is time I prefer to spend with the thrill of competition & fueled by the desire to win.
    Almost as much I enjoy reading & reviewing stuff in an effort to improve upon my game,... things I don't get in the DON's.
    If they're working for you... great!! I just think that not all of us play poker for the same reasons. Personally I'd much prefer to be playing a few sngs or a couple of mtts. I'd even prefer playing a micro buyin private tourney (where I know many of my opponents) than to be grinding out the DON's. Just my personal preference, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakamura
    Aye, I was checking out a site right now... amazing the world that has slipped me by. Doesn't the time bank auto-start on most sites? It does on Stars anyway.
    http://www.overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/AutoHotKey
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice
    I've read some comments re: 'why wouldn't you play them, they're a money-maker.... sure they're boring but are +EV..... I play to win and not for entertainment'... etc. etc.
    Players play for many different reasons and different motivations. I personally enjoy playing mostly for the thrill of competition ('playing to win'). Winning money is cool (obviously) and can be used as an indicator as to how well I'm doing.
    I prefer playing games where I'm able to expand on the levels of thinking, where I can be striving to learn more & more, & more. I can't sit down at my computer & grind out the DON's,... I'd personally rather be putting in more hours at my job (which gives me a greater sense of accomplishment than DONs do).
    The time I invest on my computer playing poker is time I prefer to spend with the thrill of competition & fueled by the desire to win.
    Almost as much I enjoy reading & reviewing stuff in an effort to improve upon my game,... things I don't get in the DON's.
    If they're working for you... great!! I just think that not all of us play poker for the same reasons. Personally I'd much prefer to be playing a few sngs or a couple of mtts. I'd even prefer playing a micro buyin private tourney (where I know many of my opponents) than to be grinding out the DON's. Just my personal preference, that's all.
    If you ain't enjoying poker then quit. If you are, then do what you enjoy. If that is a DON and the reason is you win, then do it. Good reason.
    Finally played one of these (a turbo) at the weekend. It was the most boring half hour of my life.
    I've played two of these in my life. Both times i entered them by accident and didnt realse until I was ITM and everyone went all in.

Couldn't believe my luck, 5 left in a ten man and 4 went all in, thought I'd just drifted into 2nd and tripled my buy in - what a disappointment.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Cause 2 topics already exist about DorN i re-post here cause i dont know wich one will be ereased...

Pretty hard this structure for me, am ITM at 50% of time, wich mean am loosing money cause the rakes...

Turbo have smaller rakes, but advantage a loose agressive style, and this style suck in DorN imo. More time you have, more chance you have to see donk killing themself, each others..

You need to survive, not making pile of stack, and cause you have 50% to win (half players win) am thinking if (cause rake) you should avoid preflop coin flop situation when playing a hand...

Say you have the pocket pair, and suspect AK for your opponent, you little favorite (dont know real % but...)

Am really thinking cause the fact you loose money if you get ITM 50%, that eliminate your lilttle advantage in coin flip situation...

Better to raise preflop, and make a stab in pot on flop, so your opponent is loosing him 50/50 in this way...

Amazing how many players call an all in with crap there... (when they think they are in coin flip situation), so better strat i think, to avoid this, is make a litle raise preflop, then bet the pot on flop, so, with only 2 cards to come, your opponent dont be in coin flip no more...

Avoid all in (coin flip) preflop, small ball and continuation bet seems work better, when you have position.

All ace suckers (in 1$ game) call an all with, i saw and get caught by A7-A9-AQ calling, and beat my AK, KK or QQ ^^
    I even saw 33 beat my KK with flush, this donk called my all in preflop, and i finished 6th ^^

We should use more our info tourney window i guess, keeping an eye on your player's position and on the chips average of players.

Under the average, you should use your fold equity imho and push any decent hand... Never limp, cause next time, you'll dont have fold equity, you'll be too small.

But when you above the chip average and have good position (say you at 3th or 4th position) you should stay calm, even with good hand like AK...

Say 6 players left, your leader chip, you call the all in form the smaller one with AK (or any thing), and you double-up him pocket pair... He can kill you now, with your chips!

Ask your self, even when you have AK, AA, KK or QQ, "Does i need to win more chip to win this shit?"

Cause you can have best hand preflop... But what about the dam river?

Am happy to see a post about D or N, hope i'll get your opinion about my coin flip thinking and your opinion too.

Thats my own opinion, am not a pro, but am just trying to analyse this new structure to take advantage of it, in long term overview.
    What an awesome thread. Clearly, everyone's really given this some thought/played these even moderately. People shouldn't just spout incoherence and moronic advice unless they have some sort of experience with these, and know what they're talking about.
    Unfortunately, I have to award this thread no points, and may god have mercy on it's soul.
    Its a good way to make a profit. Occasionally could get some donks who play too aggressive and are quick to hit the rail.