Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Overbetting vs. someone pot controlling

Default Overbetting vs. someone pot controlling

When it appears that someone has a 2nd pair type hand, you're oop action goes check/call check/check do you overbet the river frequently? either for value or as a bluff? It's obviously going to be extremely villain, board texture, and image dependent. I've found that the villain will always call a 2/3 pot bet when they were in fact pot controlling and not planning on just giving up on the hand when they checked back the turn, but I haven't messed with it enough to know if they would call a 1.5x pot bet, or what the breaking point is.

So I guess I'll just throw out a hand example.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($84.65)
    Hero (BB) ($64.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 7
    SB bets $2, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4) 8, K, 4 (2 players)
    Hero checks, SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($7) A (2 players)
    Hero checks, SB checks

River: ($7) 2 (2 players)
    [color=#CC3333]Hero bets ?????

How big do you think I should bet against a fish? a reg? if villain views me as a spewtard I think it becomes a check/fold, so assume our bet will have some credibility. Or if this is for value what do you think is a good sizing?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($84.65)
    Hero (BB) ($64.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 9
    SB bets $2, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4) 8, K, 4 (2 players)
    Hero checks, SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($7) A (2 players)
    Hero checks, SB checks

River: ($7) 2 (2 players)
    [color=#CC3333]Hero bets ?????

Hopefully I didn't leave out any important info, but I'm looking for a more general analysis of the situation or your opinion of what my thought process should be in this situation to decide what the right sizing is, and whether I should or shouldn't bet in the first one.
    cheers,
    Chad
    Last edited by callmenuts26; 04-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    I guess this must just be a dumb question??...........128 views and 0 responses.
    Hand 1 is entirely different from hand 2. Short answer is don't bluff fish and when you bluff a reg make sure that you line actually looks like more than one hand. If you overbet in hand 2 or even bet at all you may think you can just muscle him out of a pot but honestly you hand doesn't look like anything at all except maybe a busted heart draw.
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello View Post
    Short answer is don't bluff fish
    This isn't true at all

Against non-clowns I think overbet $15 in a vacuum is ok with a bluff and 3/4 pot with A9 is good. I think that if you wanted to take a balanced line you'd c/shove the river with both bluffs and value.

But when the A comes and he doesnt bet the turn I'm thinking he has Ax and Kx in his range as well as mid pairs and some air. It's not great situation for you to bluff anyway.

I'd rather c/r the flop here btw.