Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,282,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Is Set-Mining In This Spot a Mistake?

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Is Set-Mining In This Spot a Mistake?

    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

    BB (t1,792)
    UTG (t1,220)
    MP1 (t2,856)
    MP2 (t2,676)
    Hero (CO) (t1,231)
    Button (t2,070)
    SB (t1,655)

    Hero's M: 8.21

    Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8
    1 fold, MP1 calls t100, MP2 calls t100, Hero calls t100, Button bets t500, 2 folds, MP1 calls t400, MP2 calls t400, Hero calls t400

    Flop: (t2,150) 6, Q, 6 (4 players)
    MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button bets t1,570 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero folds

    Total pot: t2,150

    Anybody think this is a mistake here to call the raise? With everybody else calling and me having position it seemed like the right play at the time...
  2. #2
    Shove pre.

    Calling is pretty awful as you are pretty short stacked if the button or blinds are aggro, because they can easily raise it up and you are put in a very hard spot. Calling the reraise leaves you with 7bb which as you are so scared of making moves (from this thread and your other one about KK) I imagine you have a horrible short stack game.
  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Shove pre.

    Calling is pretty awful as you are pretty short stacked if the button or blinds are aggro, because they can easily raise it up and you are put in a very hard spot. Calling the reraise leaves you with 7bb which as you are so scared of making moves (from this thread and your other one about KK) I imagine you have a horrible short stack game.
    I don't disagree that shoving pre here may have been a good idea.

    However, where do you get the idea that I'm scared to make moves? For the last time, I SHOVED THE KINGS.

    Critiquing the hands is great, that's what I'm looking for. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself. If you want to help, great, thanks.. if you want to insult then just go stuff yourself instead.
  4. #4
    You read my post as an insult, it wasn't. It was a suggestion to work on your short stack game.
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    You read my post as an insult, it wasn't. It was a suggestion to work on your short stack game.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

    It may well need some adjustment, which is why I'm posting these hands.
  6. #6
    Don't take anything personally - everyone is just trying to help! Take his point on board. Flatting here leaves you with just 7bb; that is really ,really short.

    It's getting late now but I'll write out a big post on how to (generally) play a short stack which should cover all the basics tomorrow.
  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Don't take anything personally - everyone is just trying to help! Take his point on board. Flatting here leaves you with just 7bb; that is really ,really short.

    It's getting late now but I'll write out a big post on how to (generally) play a short stack which should cover all the basics tomorrow.
    I look forward to reading that.

    I'm agreeing now that flatting the raise was a bad idea. A part of me knew that or I wouldn't of posted the hand here. I'm pretty aggressive I think with middle pairs etc. at the bubble and beyond, but unsure in many situations earlier on. I'm also not real sure that I am so short stacked here? (Before the raise).


    Sorry if I'm a little sensitive about the way I'm talked too. I'll try to watch that. I'm careful to try and be respectful to others, and I'm short on patience with those that don't return the favour. Forums can be brutal that way.
  8. #8
    I'm not a big tourney player but I do dabble. IMO I wouldn't have called in the first place that earlier in a tourney. Later if the stacks where of similar size I'd advocate either folding or shoving but not calling hoping for a set.
    "You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience...
    The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

    Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX View Post
    Do you have testicles? If so, learn to bet like it
  9. #9
    I rarely, if ever, setmine after the first couple of blind levels. You definitely don't have the bb's left to limp behind here.

    As played though, after the raise it's shove or fold time. It's all about investment and by default putting in 40% of your stack commits you to the hand.

    And yes, 12bb is pretty darn short. Certainly too short to be playing speculative (see-the-flop) hands - but 88 has plenty of value in it's own right, which is why shoving pre sounds good.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
  10. #10
    Sykedupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    pretty easy shove after the 2 limpers limp. There are no hands you should be limping behind here, literally (fold 33, fold T9s, shove 77+)
    Quote Originally Posted by soupie
    That is the beauty of poker, it doesnt matter how they play, you can always devise the perfect defense and counterpunch hard.
  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    I rarely, if ever, setmine after the first couple of blind levels. You definitely don't have the bb's left to limp behind here.

    As played though, after the raise it's shove or fold time. It's all about investment and by default putting in 40% of your stack commits you to the hand.

    And yes, 12bb is pretty darn short. Certainly too short to be playing speculative (see-the-flop) hands - but 88 has plenty of value in it's own right, which is why shoving pre sounds good.
    Thank you.
  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykedupp View Post
    pretty easy shove after the 2 limpers limp. There are no hands you should be limping behind here, literally (fold 33, fold T9s, shove 77+)
    Thank you.
  13. #13
    Still owe you this post, hopefully get time for it tomorrow!
  14. #14
    Yea I'd only set mine if I had at 25-30bbs
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Still owe you this post, hopefully get time for it tomorrow!
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
  16. #16
    dombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    318
    Location
    The Netherlands
    There are more people waiting
  17. #17
    Hrhhhhhhhh hopefully tomorrow. Revision is ruling my life at the moment and don't want to do a post which doesn't make sense
  18. #18
    BEST to shove 8s or better = ok short unless you have more info on an opponent(than we do) which a fold=better than ok

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •