Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,282,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Need tips on Freeroll poker.

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Default Need tips on Freeroll poker.

    As we all know freeroll poker is a totally different game. There is basically no strategy going on with an exception to a few. I would like a few tips on how yall would go at freerolls. I do pretty good by getting past the initial donk fest of all ins. Thx guys. I usally start off playing pretty tight for the first few levels, then open up as I get a bit of a read on the table. Any tips i would appreciate.
    Last edited by mattmig; 07-27-2014 at 02:02 AM.
  2. #2
    I've always found the best thingis to uncheck the freroll tab in the lobby so they don't even show.


    Seriously, 5+ hours of poker for less money than it costs to run the wifi to play the game??
  3. #3
    I only play very small freerolls these days. Like a freeroll for Danish players on Betsafe, with about 30 players, and $40 for first. In the big freerolls, I gamble much in the beginning, as I can't give these tours my full attention, I like to get a good stack LOL

    Is there any good freerolls these days? Don't think so. Way to many players. The good old days with good freerolls are almost over
    The Time To Act Is Now...
  4. #4
    I try to get in with a good hand and double up. I rather not spend my time folding hands unless it's worth playing. Usually you'll get a ton of calls and honestly I find it easier to get my opponent to call down with weak hands .
  5. #5
    Man it is pretty frustrating to continue to have the "players" dominated with my all ins. Ak vs AQ, AA vs 67, KK vs J2 and coming out the loser. Really cant ask for a better situation to double up, but geez la weez i cant catch a break today. The damn poker gods are punishing me for something i must have done. Please say a prayer for me lol.
  6. #6
    As someone who started off originally with freerolls I can't blame beginners and noobs for playing freerolls . HOWEVER, i learnt so many bad habits and misconceived ideas whilst doing so that took a fair time to straighten out once i switched to real money play. ANyone wanting to learn real money poker would be well advised to deposit 50$ on a site play 1 table at the lowest stake ,concentrate on your opponents make tons of notes , watch the lines opponents take and post hands like crazy in the forum where you weren't sure what to do.or post a couple of your biggest winners and losers from each session. The more info you give us the better the advice you will receive.
  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    16
    Location
    I live in Moultrie Ga. Its down south near Fla. line
    I don't play many freerolls for the same reason many don't play them. To many players, all the players who call with nothing when I'm holding a big hand and they win, the money is not worth the time it takes to get it if you do win. On Full Flush they have some sizable freerolls but even the $10 ones have 7/8 hundred players. But more power to them because there are that many players that don't have a dime to buy into even a small tourny
  8. #8
    I also prefer the restricted freerolls with a smaller player field.
    In these 1k freerolls on Stars i gamble often in the first hands, with a little luck have a 4k stack and sit out 1,5 hours till the money, because ist not worth the time and effort, and when i am ITM then i play "normal"
  9. #9
    I sometimes play freerolls with the intention of playing like an idiot. So that means limping and raising all sorts of crap in any position, before relentlessly shoving light after ten minutes because I'm bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I sometimes play like an idiot.
    , it's just too easy.
  11. #11
    I found freerolls great as a complete beginner when I barely knew the hand rankings, let alone working out what I had, working out what hands were possible by the river, etc. Some players (like me) never want to deposit any of their own money too, so they are a great way of generating a bankroll of a couple of hundred bucks to take to the nanos and micros. They're also a vital part of any successful site and so important when it comes to noobs falling in love with the game before donating their winnings back to the regs that they otherwise wouldn't have deposited.

    You have got to pick the good ones though op, which might take signing up to a fair few sites. When I was playing them, I found a few of the smaller network skins that offered freerolls where there was at least a dollar per player in the pool (e.g. 200 runners, $200 prize pool) and no more than a few hundred runners. You might need to initially deposit a small amount though to get in them, which is fine if you withdraw the deposit at the earliest opportunity. There was also one or two sites that would give you a free £20 to play with, but I doubt any of those exist anymore.
  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    You have got to pick the good ones though op, which might take signing up to a fair few sites. When I was playing them, I found a few of the smaller network skins that offered freerolls where there was at least a dollar per player in the pool (e.g. 200 runners, $200 prize pool) and no more than a few hundred runners. You might need to initially deposit a small amount though to get in them, which is fine if you withdraw the deposit at the earliest opportunity. There was also one or two sites that would give you a free £20 to play with, but I doubt any of those exist anymore.
    That's right, always deposit. Some sites don't let you withdraw your winnings from freerolls, unless you deposited BEFORE playing. If not, they have rules about that you have to make points according to how much you have won before you can withdraw. So, check the sites rules, or ask their support first, what rules they have on that matter.
    The Time To Act Is Now...
  13. #13
    Freerolls can be good for building starting bankroll but freerolls are no good for learning game. 9 man small stake sitngo are good for learning basic strategy of game.
  14. #14
    Most players don't take freerolls seriously so if you wait patiently, one of them is likely to pay you off.
  15. #15
    Freerolls are generally nice, if they have some prize pool. Upsides are that players are generally very bad, many players are off-line and occasionally tournament structures are fast.

    If freeroll is not so good value (like 1$-3$) I usually go straight into all-in with top10% hands. Because lots of other players are also splashing their chips this quite often leads up having a nice stack, after which I can play it more seriously.

    I wouldn't try to learn to play tournaments from freerolls though.
  16. #16
    As some members already said, you cant learn very much from freerolls..
    Freerolls are at least better than any playmoney games
  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmig View Post
    As we all know freeroll poker is a totally different game. There is basically no strategy going on with an exception to a few. I would like a few tips on how yall would go at freerolls. I do pretty good by getting past the initial donk fest of all ins. Thx guys. I usally start off playing pretty tight for the first few levels, then open up as I get a bit of a read on the table. Any tips i would appreciate.
    I play restricted freerolls and the Freerolls of Pokerstars to the tickets (Hubbles and that stuff).

    We have to play very tight and with very caution because as you say it's different: we don't need to spend Money, we have nothing to lose. The majority of players thinks like that but when we play Freeroll we have to take it serious; if you play for fun you can win some hands but you will not goal.
  18. #18
    i cant understand the reality of sitting for 4 hours for very little return. i learnt to play holdem back 4 or5 years ago playing freerolls, but they where much more realistic payouts. forum freerolls are worth playing to build a bankroll
  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by joker131 View Post
    i cant understand the reality of sitting for 4 hours for very little return. i learnt to play holdem back 4 or5 years ago playing freerolls, but they where much more realistic payouts. forum freerolls are worth playing to build a bankroll
    Yes, there are not many good freerolls left anymore. My favourite is a $100 for Danish players only on an Ongame client, where there's approx 40 players, with money for Top 5. A win gives $40. That is worth spending time on, as it's over within a few hours, but those on Stars are a struggle
    The Time To Act Is Now...
  20. #20
    I play the 1K freerolls on Stars as often as I can. I like to register late and go all in before the blinds hit me with any hand. I know it's a donkey move but I want to know I'm going to triple up right away or just lose. If I triple up with donkey hand then I will sit out till Im ITM and try to shove again but with a decent hand. Once I hit a decent amount of chips I will sit out and just take what I can get. I don't have the time to play for 5 hrs only to make final 2-3 tables and only win $1-$2.
  21. #21
    ^ why even bother. That philosophy is why so many freerollers never build a bankroll , because they never learn how to play poker and just lose any money they win and repeat the cycle of shove luckbox a bit of money , shove the real money and lose it.
  22. #22
    Because freerolls don't cost me anything I would shove everyhand until I have a decent stack (try to show my opponents that i'm a feeder), but they play tight game later. It doesn't work everytime but it helps me build a very healthy stack to get deep in the tournament.
  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by ducbim View Post
    Because freerolls don't cost me anything I would shove everyhand until I have a decent stack (try to show my opponents that i'm a feeder), but they play tight game later. It doesn't work everytime but it helps me build a very healthy stack to get deep in the tournament.
    or roughly translated you havent got a clue how to play poker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •