Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,285,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

What will you do when Biden is President?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 75 of 232
  1. #1

    Default What will you do when Biden is President?

    I'm gonna pray to my Kanye alter. How about you? Any y'all got big plans?
  2. #2
    LOL I forgot I have this avatar. She's hot for a racist.
  3. #3
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Dunno... ice skate in hell maybe.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  4. #4
    Do you think Trump beats Biden?
  5. #5
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I think Trump wins 40 states if it's him vs Biden.

    I hope for the sake of the US and the planet that Bernie takes off the kiddie gloves on sunday, and starts hammering Biden on record, policy and electability.

    What will happen if Biden is the nominee is that you'll have 24/7 attack ads featuring super cuts of Biden sniffing little girls, poking people with his finger, getting irrationally angry, talking gibberish and straight up lying about his voting history, civil rights, lying about being arrested in SA visiting Nelson Mandela, and attacking Anita Hill.
    Biden voters have no fucking clue who this man is. They're going on name recognition. The image of Biden that's being pushed by MSM and the reality of who Biden is could not be further apart. Exit polls show people vote for him because of his position on healthcare. He's on camera saying this week that he'd veto M4A if it passed the house and the senate. They have no idea who he is, and when they find out, there will be a mass exodus of democrats.

    I personally don't think Bernie's chances are as bleak as the raw numbers would suggest. I may say this out of self preservation because democrats picking Biden over Bernie would be an unimaginable tragedy and possibly the death of the party.
    I see a real possibility of Biden face planting hard on live TV, if they allow him on TV, which is an if. I would not be shocked if sunday gets cancelled for [insert distraction].
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  6. #6
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Location
    Finding my game
    In a democracy Bernie should run as an independent.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I think Trump wins 40 states if it's him vs Biden.

    I hope for the sake of the US and the planet that Bernie takes off the kiddie gloves on sunday, and starts hammering Biden on record, policy and electability.

    What will happen if Biden is the nominee is that you'll have 24/7 attack ads featuring super cuts of Biden sniffing little girls, poking people with his finger, getting irrationally angry, talking gibberish and straight up lying about his voting history, civil rights, lying about being arrested in SA visiting Nelson Mandela, and attacking Anita Hill.
    Biden voters have no fucking clue who this man is. They're going on name recognition. The image of Biden that's being pushed by MSM and the reality of who Biden is could not be further apart. Exit polls show people vote for him because of his position on healthcare. He's on camera saying this week that he'd veto M4A if it passed the house and the senate. They have no idea who he is, and when they find out, there will be a mass exodus of democrats.

    I personally don't think Bernie's chances are as bleak as the raw numbers would suggest. I may say this out of self preservation because democrats picking Biden over Bernie would be an unimaginable tragedy and possibly the death of the party.
    I see a real possibility of Biden face planting hard on live TV, if they allow him on TV, which is an if. I would not be shocked if sunday gets cancelled for [insert distraction].
    Interesting take. I hope you're right. So far, Biden is putting up strong numbers in the Midwest, which is where the election will be won. Clinton performed absurdly awful there, and Trump only barely come over the top.
  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    In a democracy Bernie should run as an independent.
    Would be interesting.

    I know a lot of people think he's a sellout and ultimately puts the party first. I have no idea if that is true.
  9. #9
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    https://twitter.com/imraansiddiqi/st...112131584?s=20

    Really looking forward to Sunday!
    MMM, count yourself lucky that you can't see this.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    https://twitter.com/imraansiddiqi/st...112131584?s=20

    Really looking forward to Sunday!
    MMM, count yourself lucky that you can't see this.
    Is MMM quarantined?

    Funny thing: even though Biden looks so unbelievably terrible, I think he's gonna shitstomp Trump because that will solve the Hallucinated Problem.
  11. #11
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,415
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Holy Shit! I go off to a Muslim nation for a week and wufwugy is back!

    I should leave more often.



    I've been saying Biden can't win for like a year, now. Trouble is, Bernie's running for like, the 10'th time, yeah? And he sounds like an angry grandpa even when he's in a good mood.

    I like Bernie's policies, but I don't think he's remotely centrist enough to get Rep swing votes. Let alone that he loses a lot of Dem swing votes on account of being a loser grandpa.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  12. #12
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Bernie is running for the 2nd time. Biden is running for the 5th time.
    There is no poll that indicates that centrist policies are more likely to win swing states than progressive ones.

    This game you're playing where you're trying to predict who's going to be more popular and you're doing it on unfounded assumptions is exactly what makes people go out and vote for Biden. And it's also what got you smash electoral hits like John Kerry, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton.

    In reality your opinion is exactly what DNC pundits have been hammering into your head for a year straight on CNN and MSNBC and is not reflective of objective reality. A lot more people align with Bernie than Biden. Most Biden voters don't even know what his policies are, as evidence by exit polls saying medicare was the most important issue for Biden voters.

    What you will end up with is a candidate that nobody is enthusiastic about, Bernie supporters will rightfully tell democrats to go fuck themselves and exit the party in droves, and you'll lose 2020 to voter apathy.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-15-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  13. #13
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  14. #14
    My understanding is that Bernie appeals to the same disgruntled voters that Trump appealed to in 2016. They're still there of course b/c obv. Trump has done fuck all to help them. It's an interesting question whether those voters would now switch to Bernie after three years of brainwashing by Fox News that Trump is their savior.
  15. #15
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I don't get how people shouldn't be able to get behind a: M4A, fuck TPP, cancel student loan debt, stop bailing out banks, stop foreign wars - platform?
    Biden runs on fucking nothing. He runs on: here's my name, remember me, remember Obama? Stop the malarkey, are you my wife or sister, hey fat, let's do pushup; little girls smell nice, and: oh whoops I forgot I'm on camera!

    If you know a Biden supporter, ask him what Biden's policies are. You'll get nothing, because Biden has nothing.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  16. #16
    Bernie is right about healthcare and college being too expensive.
  17. #17
    I'm down with any of Bernie's policies that de-monopolize. Anybody know of any?
  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Holy Shit! I go off to a Muslim nation for a week and wufwugy is back!
    Howdy
  19. #19
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'm down with any of Bernie's policies that de-monopolize. Anybody know of any?
    Bernie and Warren both ran on breaking up big tech and were the only ones to do so afaik. It has slid in the background, but Bernie has said many times he would break up Amazon, Apple, Facebook and other tech conglomerates. They're probably de-emphasizing that because it's easy to turn into red-scare attack ads.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Bernie and Warren both ran on breaking up big tech and were the only ones to do so afaik. It has slid in the background, but Bernie has said many times he would break up Amazon, Apple, Facebook and other tech conglomerates. They're probably de-emphasizing that because it's easy to turn into red-scare attack ads.
    What is his plan?
  21. #21
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I googled that for 15 sec and I didn't find any specifics nor did I expect to. This is probably not a topic that will capture the hearts and imagination of voters, but it can easily be spun to sound bad, so I don't expect more than generalities and deflection should he get asked about it. This is probably more of a 3rd year policy... not unlike gulags and guillotines.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  22. #22
    I'd be cool with healthcare-for-all by making much of what people want to buy/sell legal again, rather than by monopolizing it even further.
  23. #23
    There's a debate tonight right? With Covid on the mind, if Biden looks too mentally addled, we might see a major turnaround for the Berno. I'm giving it, what, 5% chance of going down like that?
  24. #24
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'd be cool with healthcare-for-all by making much of what people want to buy/sell legal again, rather than by monopolizing it even further.
    A person's health is not something that makes sense to view as a good in a supply and demand chain. If you need a drug or treatment to live, the demand is there no matter the price. As a result you see americans getting charged 10x as much for insulin, because the free market is at work and that's what people are willing to pay before it's either cheaper to fly to Mexico or Canada to buy insulin. If they can't afford that, they ration insulin and die. Under a government regulated single payer system this doesn't happen.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  25. #25
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    There's a debate tonight right? With Covid on the mind, if Biden looks too mentally addled, we might see a major turnaround for the Berno. I'm giving it, what, 5% chance of going down like that?
    I might even watch it live. I think you underestimate just how hard Biden can eat dirt. I fucking hope to god Bernie stops it with the "Biden's my friend" nonsense and unloads the clip. Biden has so much baggage, it's unreal. He needs to be called out on it.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    A person's health is not something that makes sense to view as a good in a supply and demand chain. If you need a drug or treatment to live, the demand is there no matter the price. As a result you see americans getting charged 10x as much for insulin, because the free market is at work and that's what people are willing to pay before it's either cheaper to fly to Mexico or Canada to buy insulin. If they can't afford that, they ration insulin and die. Under a government regulated single payer system this doesn't happen.
    Would you be willing to rethink this view if you knew that economic theory and history have a different view?
  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I might even watch it live. I think you underestimate just how hard Biden can eat dirt. I fucking hope to god Bernie stops it with the "Biden's my friend" nonsense and unloads the clip. Biden has so much baggage, it's unreal. He needs to be called out on it.
    It might take some real collapse of his behavior for people to rethink Biden.
  28. #28
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'd be cool with healthcare-for-all by making much of what people want to buy/sell legal again, rather than by monopolizing it even further.
    M4A has to be a single payer system. You can't have a private company involved at any point. As long as you have insurance companies involved for whatever reason, they will lobby against it to carve out their own space to keep operating. That's why all the fake progressives ran on "M4A for all who want it" or "M4A but not for millionaires" because that is just a dogwhistle for insurance companies to mean: 'it won't be M4A" - it would be Obamacare 2.0.
    If everyone is under the same plan, then it is in everyone's best interest that it's a good healthcare plan. It saves a massive amount of administration, and you have to look no further than any of the the 31 out of 32 developed nations who have some version of it to see that it's cheaper while having everyone covered.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  29. #29
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Would you be willing to rethink this view if you knew that economic theory and history have a different view?
    Look, fat, you wanna do an IQ test? Let's do pushups together? C'mon man!

    No I wouldn't. Because I have had M4A from birth and it's not something I ever think about. If I'm sick I go to a hospital. Like <10% of my wage goes to my health insurance and I have everything covered from dental to hearing... literally anything I'd want to see a doctor for. The idea that private enterprise would improve that when I see exactly what it's doing to the US is laughable. You have no idea how ludicrous the idea of replacing the healthcare I have now with private healthcare is. If any politician here suggested anything like that, everyone would think it's a joke. It will never be on the table. It will never be anywhere near a table. It is clearly in the interest of everyone to have single payer health insurance for all.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    No I wouldn't.
    Thank you for your candor.
  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Because I have had M4A from birth and it's not something I ever think about. If I'm sick I go to a hospital. Like <10% of my wage goes to my health insurance and I have everything covered from dental to hearing... literally anything I'd want to see a doctor for.
    Commie.
  32. #32
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    You got me.

    Would you be willing to rethink this view if you knew that economic theory and history have a different view?
    I would have to be insane to look at something that is working nearly flawlessly in praxis in 30+ countries, and then to change my opinion to: actually it doesn't work, because of theory.

    Theory is great to get a basic understanding of something, but even in fields that are much less chaotic than economics, you always test your math with scale models and real world observations, because it never shapes out exactly like you think. To have 30+ full scale models, but instead of looking at them, you ignore their existence and try to explain why they actually shouldn't work with theory makes no sense.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    You got me.


    I would have to be insane to look at something that is working nearly flawlessly in praxis in 30+ countries, and then to change my opinion to: actually it doesn't work, because of theory.

    Theory is great to get a basic understanding of something, but even in fields that are much less chaotic than economics, you always test your math with scale models and real world observations, because it never shapes out exactly like you think. To have 30+ full scale models, but instead of looking at them, you ignore their existence and try to explain why they actually shouldn't work with theory makes no sense.
    For these countries with monopolized healthcare:

    What happens to the incentive for investors to take on big risky projects with potential payoff of creating new therapies that solve unsolved problems?

    What happens to the incentive for entrepreneurs to innovate on something to make it better, more available, and lower cost?
  34. #34
    Wuf, people study ways to improve health outside of the US, and for less pay than they would get to do the same job in the US. Or do you think all medical advances come from the US?

    Here's another question for you: When you incentivize people with money to become doctors, what kind of doctors do you end up with versus when you incentivize them with an actual interest in helping people?

    And a third question: Are you happy as an individual paying five times what you should for health care so big pharma can jack off over your retirement fund? Are you five times healthier than someone in another Western country - are you getting your money's worth out of the US system?
  35. #35
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    So let's take a recent example: Both China and Germany are at the forefront of creating a covid vaccine. Both are intending to distribute the vaccine for free. Maybe it is because a lot of people work for self improvement and helping others rather than accumulation of wealth?

    I think I've said this before: I wouldn't do a job that I don't like even if it was 10x the pay of what I earn now, because... what do I even do with the money? I genuinely don't know.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  36. #36
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,415
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    For these countries with monopolized healthcare:

    What happens to the incentive for investors to take on big risky projects with potential payoff of creating new therapies that solve unsolved problems?

    What happens to the incentive for entrepreneurs to innovate on something to make it better, more available, and lower cost?
    Their family members, friends and loved ones die of diseases.

    Have you ever met a medical doctor who got into the profession to make money?
    There are far less stressful ways to make money.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Wuf, people study ways to improve health outside of the US, and for less pay than they would get to do the same job in the US. Or do you think all medical advances come from the US?
    In general, riskier ones and less obvious ones come from entrepreneurs.

    Here's another question for you: When you incentivize people with money to become doctors, what kind of doctors do you end up with versus when you incentivize them with an actual interest in helping people?
    As we've seen, the money incentive has a good way of getting doctors who are interested in helping people.

    And a third question: Are you happy as an individual paying five times what you should for health care so big pharma can jack off over your retirement fund?
    It's terrible. I hate that we have monopolized the industry so intensely.

    Are you five times healthier than someone in another Western country - are you getting your money's worth out of the US system?
    If we're talking about money that the monopoly takes from me without my consent, no I am not getting my worth out of that. If we're talking about the money that I use to buy healthcare, I'm not even putting any money into the system because virtually everything I'd like to buy is illegal, made illegal by the monopoly.
  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Have you ever met a medical doctor who got into the profession to make money?
    All of them.

    Their family members, friends and loved ones die of diseases.
    Right now there are entrepreneurs funding research to solve the hardest medical problems that the monopoly doesn't fund. This high risk/high reward research that yields marketable results begins in high prices for early adopters. Over time, better ways of developing the therapies actualize, and price comes down while availability increases. Eventually, the therapies become standardized in the society.
  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    So let's take a recent example: Both China and Germany are at the forefront of creating a covid vaccine. Both are intending to distribute the vaccine for free. Maybe it is because a lot of people work for self improvement and helping others rather than accumulation of wealth?
    This is an excellent example of when the monopoly can work. There is heightened charitable desire to create a vaccine.

    I hoped that when Bernie said the vaccine (once produced) should be free, he would have added that this model only works when charitable efforts are sufficient enough. If we were to apply this logic to, say, all new medical therapies, research would dry up and progress would crumble.

    I think I've said this before: I wouldn't do a job that I don't like even if it was 10x the pay of what I earn now, because... what do I even do with the money? I genuinely don't know.
    Same
  40. #40
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    For these countries with monopolized healthcare:

    What happens to the incentive for investors to take on big risky projects with potential payoff of creating new therapies that solve unsolved problems?
    The projects are not run by state medical staff, they're run either by universities or private corporations. Monopolized healthcare (come on, should have been easy to come up with a more derogatory and dismissive term for it) does not include basic research, drug development nor production. So, not much I would think.

    Here's which countries put out the most research per capita:

    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  41. #41
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    It's terrible. I hate that we have monopolized the industry so intensely.
    What company has a monopoly on healthcare in the US?
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    What company has a monopoly on healthcare in the US?
    The government is the monopoly.
  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    The projects are not run by state medical staff
    I'm curious: who pays for it and do they get the money?
  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'm curious: who pays for it and do they get the money?
    The public through taxation. The researchers get the money through grants that go through peer-review, just like NIH and NSF grants in the US.

    Here's the thing: that research is not incentivized to make money, it's incentivized to be good for society as a whole. So, rather than creating drugs and then trying to create a market for said drugs (which I understand is a large part of what big pharma does in the US), they focus on things that actually help society.
  45. #45
    Oh, and there's also charities that fund research in the non-US, just like in the US. But presumably (going out on a limb here) they're not incentivized to make money either. I know not being money-oriented sounds like a disaster to an economist because it turns the models upside-down, but it seems to work somewhat in the real world.
  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    The public through taxation. The researchers get the money through grants that go through peer-review, just like NIH and NSF grants in the US.

    Here's the thing: that research is not incentivized to make money, it's incentivized to be good for society as a whole. So, rather than creating drugs and then trying to create a market for said drugs (which I understand is a large part of what big pharma does in the US), they focus on things that actually help society.
    Do you think that products meant to make money can be helpful for society?
  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I know not being money-oriented sounds like a disaster to an economist because it turns the models upside-down, but it seems to work somewhat in the real world.
    I LOL'd. Thanks for that.

    Non-profit does work somewhat in the real world.

    What do you think about what people do for profit in the real world?
  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Do you think that products meant to make money can be helpful for society?
    Yes?
  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post

    What do you think about what people do for profit in the real world?
    I don't understand the question, sorry.
  50. #50
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    The government is the monopoly.
    Yeah I don't really understand what you mean by that. We're talking about health care providers. Government provides some healthcare, but it is far from having a monopoly.

    Anyway... about the debate:
    Bad news: Biden didn't shit himself, had no major gaffes and for that reason I don't think Bernie got the major win that he needed.
    Joe Biden really took a page out of Trump's book. He just lied about everything. Every time Bernie pressed him on something, he straight up lied about it. Said he had no super pacs but Bernie has 9 super pacs... I mean what the fuck. Not even remotely operating in reality. I don't think MSM will fact check him on that so a lot of people will come out of this either thinking Bernie was being disingenuous or that you can't trust either, and that's a win for Biden.

    However... apparently there are still large gatherings in the US as of yesterday, so what that means for the pandemic is that most likely the US will get a massive hit from Corona on top of the already crashing markets, so it's anyone's guess what's going to happen in the next couple of months. Not unlikely to turn into a bring-out-your-dead type situation. Tough time for predictions.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-16-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  51. #51
    Here's another point in favour of public medicine (if you really need one). Oxycontin was pushed hard by big pharma as a 'miracle drug' for those in pain, with all kinds of claims like it wasn't addictive, could be used long-term, could be given in high doses, etc. They encouraged doctors hard to prescribe it, whether it was warranted to do so or not. Some doctors did so because they were dumb, others did so because of various forms of payola they were getting from big pharma. We all know what happened next.

    This would never happen in any country where medicine is public. There's simply no incentive for doctors to prescribe any drugs aside from the well-being of their patients. They don't get gifts from big pharma and if they're going around prescribing dangerous drugs like candy, somebody is watching and they are going to lose their license quick. Also, they don't become doctors to get rich in the first place, so even if there were some sneaky financial incentive, they're less likely to be the kind of person to be drawn in by it.
  52. #52
    I've changed my view. The virus and economic recovering will reelect Trump.
  53. #53
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Location
    Finding my game
    Personally I think Trump will be elected despite the virus and lack of recovery.
  54. #54
    Why do you think that?
  55. #55
    What is the role of a candidate in the midst of a crisis? If they champion an idea, they're in no position to enact it, and at best it has no affect on the president's action, but more than likely will decrease the chance that policy is put into action.

    Is the electorate not savvy enough to game that out? At the very least, while they may not be able to map out the causal chain, it seems people are turned off by political point scoring in a crisis.

    But then keeping quiet doesn't seem like an option either.
  56. #56
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Why do you think that?
    This https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

    and the fact that Biden likely won't be able to steal votes from Trump's base, as Sanders probably would. No data to back this up, just a hunch.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  57. #57
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    This was the last time Biden was seen in public:

    https://youtu.be/ubSRpQ-p-RE?t=1999

    That was Wednesday. Meanwhile Bernie is streaming every single day to raise money for charity and working in the senate. Even Trump is on TV every day doing his thing.

    I have slim hope that Biden either steps down himself, or is replaced at the convention.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  58. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    What are you seeing here? I'm seeing record low approval ratings.

    and the fact that Biden likely won't be able to steal votes from Trump's base, as Sanders probably would. No data to back this up, just a hunch.
    He took a good deal of Sanders voters last time too.
  59. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    This was the last time Biden was seen in public:

    https://youtu.be/ubSRpQ-p-RE?t=1999

    That was Wednesday. Meanwhile Bernie is streaming every single day to raise money for charity and working in the senate. Even Trump is on TV every day doing his thing.

    I have slim hope that Biden either steps down himself, or is replaced at the convention.
    You can tell it's about winning the election to Biden, first and foremost. His campaign advisors are definitely telling him that the smartest move now is to keep on the low down.

    But is it the smartest move? Maybe not. Trump wouldn't do that. He'd make sure he's the biggest item in the news and he'd bruise up his opponent constantly.
  60. #60
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,157
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    What are you seeing here? I'm seeing record low approval ratings.
    Unchanged record low approval ratings.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    He took a good deal of Sanders voters last time too.
    Yeah probably, but I would think there's more mobility between Trump and Bernie camps than Trump and Biden camps. Trump and Bernie both represent change, Biden does not.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  61. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Unchanged record low approval ratings.
    Ah yes.

    I see that to suggest he'll get the same votes he did last time (probably + some).

    My question is how close to Obama's 2012 numbers will Biden get? Trump didn't beat those numbers in key states; instead he won by depressing Hillary's turnout so much. They were both very unpopular.
  62. #62
    Odds on Fredo Cuomo's brother becoming Democrat nominee?
  63. #63
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Odds on Fredo Cuomo's brother becoming Democrat nominee?
    That's Michael Avenatti levels unlikely but Biden has already hinted that on the off-chance he wins the election he'll expect his VP to take over.
    I've heard "replace at the convention" talk, but I'm not sure how that would go over... what about Sanders? Can they just put up another candidate? Why even have a primary then?

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    You can tell it's about winning the election to Biden, first and foremost. His campaign advisors are definitely telling him that the smartest move now is to keep on the low down.

    But is it the smartest move? Maybe not. Trump wouldn't do that. He'd make sure he's the biggest item in the news and he'd bruise up his opponent constantly.
    Oh it definitely was the smartest move. This is from 20 minutes worth of interviews today:
    https://twitter.com/Harlan/status/12...189732866?s=20
    https://twitter.com/tristan_puig/sta...911030272?s=20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfS...youtu.be&t=216
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  64. #64
    It's elder abuse at this point.

    I *think* the plan is he picks Kamala then steps down after the convention and she leads the ticket into the election.
  65. #65
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I know nothing at this point. They couldn't more blatantly cheat Sanders, but given that so many people came out to vote for Biden on overtly no information at all, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe nothing matters

    Here's a fun fact: If you reply to a pro-Biden twitter account with "Which of Biden's policies do you like" or similar - you're almost guaranteed to get blocked. Every pro Biden message is: He can beat Trump, and Bernie bad. It's honestly amazing. I need to say it again: I thought outright denial of reality was a Trump supporter thing. Turns out it's also at least half of all democrats.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  66. #66
    That feeling when you realize people act based on emotion.
  67. #67
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,629
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Are you fucking kidding me: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-biden/608614/

    edit: actually a decent article. I have come to expect nothing.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-25-2020 at 12:51 AM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  68. #68
    Look at the bright side: Biden getting the nomination this year will help AOC get it in 4 years.

    Hopefully she's less prejudiced by then.
  69. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Look at the bright side: Biden getting the nomination this year will help AOC get it in 4 years.

    Hopefully she's less prejudiced by then.
    who are you?
  70. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    who are you?
    The bright side for Oskar, I meant.

    Me personally? I'm just trying to cope. I gotta find a way to love AOC since she'll be near unstoppable in 2024.

    Kanye could stop her, but that's about it.
  71. #71
    Given how powerful AOC is, I hope we can use her for good instead of suffering.

    The first step IMO is to get rid of her prejudice.
  72. #72
    What happened to Ivanka for Pres 2024?
  73. #73
    Kanye4lyfe

    Ivanka is IMO the 2nd best option for beating AOC, but let's be honest, I'm not really into her.

    Kanye's legit. The man is changing the world. What he would do as President, I wanna see it.
  74. #74
    We're already seeing what one lunatic in office would do. Maybe that's enough for now.
  75. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    We're already seeing what one lunatic in office would do. Maybe that's enough for now.
    What is your #1 real-world negative result caused by the current guy?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •