Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,285,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Fox News Rant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 75 of 212
  1. #1
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker

    Default Fox News Rant

    after 1400+ posts I finally have a rant



    how the fuck can you yankees keep up with fox news? who watches that shit that they are still on air?

    they've blown up the obama pastor thing totally out of proportion
    and then, now they have an advertisement up saying "we get only facts, just the facts, fair and balanced, we have no agenda, just facts"

    and then they send some black dude into the church, to "interview" a dude, constantly and repititevly asking things like "what do you think will happen to obama's presidential candidacy because of this?" and "do you think he can rebound from this pastors sayings?"

    WTF


    the pastor said whatever he wanted to say, obama didn't say it
    they constantly say "obama's campaign has been send into crisis mode because of his pastors incendiary ccomments" etc WTF
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says? obama never displayed any racistic behavior.
    right now, they got (of all people) Al sharpton on. what the fuck is he doing there? how exactly is he going to affect whatever slander?

    remember: no agenda, only facts, fair and balanced (LOL)

    and then they show Bill Clinton hanging out with Brad Pitt


    and FWIW, I stumbled upon the damn channel, and was to lazy to change it anymore, i only watch cnn, discovery and natgeo
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  2. #2
    CNN isn't a whole lot better. It's not about real news, it's about ratings, to the detriment of the country as a whole.
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  3. #3
    gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,807
    Location
    trying to live
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pgil
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    the problem with politics is that no one cares what the other side says. I mean there are plenty of people who hate Chomsky and can readily discredit what he says.
  6. #6
    I mostly watch MSNBC and CNN when I'm watching US news. FOX is a joke.
  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc
    Quote Originally Posted by pgil
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    the problem with politics is that no one cares what the other side says. I mean there are plenty of people who hate Chomsky and can readily discredit what he says.
    In any case, is it possible that as a huge multinational corporation, it really doesn't matter to the corporation what political view their news station espouses?
  8. #8
    From my experience most of the media is liberal besides fox news which is fascist (lol) conservative.
    Check out the new blog!!!
  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc
    Quote Originally Posted by pgil
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    the problem with politics is that no one cares what the other side says. I mean there are plenty of people who hate Chomsky and can readily discredit what he says.
    In any case, is it possible that as a huge multinational corporation, it really doesn't matter to the corporation what political view their news station espouses?
    until you see stories like this: NBC is going to do a miniseries called atomic train (a clear winner) where something goes wrong with a train carrying nuclear waste. However, NBC is owned by GE, which has many nuclear plants. So the miniseries was changed so that something other than nuclear waste was on the train. just a bit of censorship.

    also, don't you think that multinational corporations have some vested interest in who gets into political office, and what they do once they get there? If you own all of the media you can easily sway public opinion on different candidates, and on different topics.
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  10. #10

    Default Re: Fox News Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says? obama never displayed any racistic behavior.
    Although I don't think it's fair to say that b/c Obama's pastor is a racist he must be a racist, the fact that Obama has been attending his church for like 20 years seems a bit odd. The guy might not spout out every Sunday what has been played in the media lately, but Obama has to have heard this kind of stuff before having been there that long and from having that guy be a mentor to him. I just question ppl's ethics if they attend a church every week with an obvious, blatant racist in the pulpit. I know I couldn't attend a church if I disagreed with the pastor on an issue as big as racism.

    Then again the congregation probably doesn't think the pastor is a racist.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  11. #11
    gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,807
    Location
    trying to live
    Quote Originally Posted by pgil
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    its not a joke. is it a joke that you think its a joke? ofc its not as obvious or certain as i make it sound but considering what i said completely wrong would be a mistake.

    i have read chomsky but it was on a completely different subject, stuff about languages. what does he say exactly?
  12. #12
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker

    Default Re: Fox News Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says? obama never displayed any racistic behavior.
    Although I don't think it's fair to say that b/c Obama's pastor is a racist he must be a racist, the fact that Obama has been attending his church for like 20 years seems a bit odd. The guy might not spout out every Sunday what has been played in the media lately, but Obama has to have heard this kind of stuff before having been there that long and from having that guy be a mentor to him. I just question ppl's ethics if they attend a church every week with an obvious, blatant racist in the pulpit. I know I couldn't attend a church if I disagreed with the pastor on an issue as big as racism.

    Then again the congregation probably doesn't think the pastor is a racist.

    the pastor may be a racist and all
    what i don't like is the fact that they are pegging it to obama
    like "his pastor said this, his pastor said that"
    they make the equation real simple so people put two plus two together
    and before long, it will become "obama said this, obama said that"
    why? "well, he never said anything against what the pastor was saying"


    man, i have a lot of friend who have very radical views on very sensitive things, but what they think about whatever issues they want to does not affect me. they'll go around shouting their beliefs, i can't condone them for thinking what they want, nor will it affect my own judgement/thinking. i'm cool as long as they do not physically hurt others

    free thoughts/speech, right?


    i don't know the state of racism in the states though, but again, i've never seen obama display racistic mannerisms or whatever. i still think its unfair to associate him in the way they do to this crazed dude.




    also, on the various odd churches: from what i've seen in various movies, i thought this was standard LOL
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  13. #13
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    And its not the first time FOX news has been on my nerves.

    a few weeks ago, there was quite some controvesry about a video game called Mass effect. They even assembled a panel of "experts". The issue was video game nudity (or in-game). One of the experts even called the game Debbie-Does-Dallas-meets-Star-Trek. Clever, right? But it was complete and total bullshit. The scene in question was completely taken out of context, not one of the "experts" has ever played the game during their "research".

    There wasn't even any goddamn nudity, more like a digitized alien back wtf

    There was a massive backlash in the gaming community because of this, and they issued a quick apology (like a 15 second "oops") and it was not mentioned again

    And we have the nataly holloway thing. It seemed like Aruba became an island full of thugs waiting to kidnap, rape and kill you


    I have no idea how Fox news stays on air






    FWIW, the CNN I get is international, very few us-centric news
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  14. #14
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.

    gabe, its soooooooo fucking biased. as in really biased
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    gabe, its soooooooo fucking biased. as in really biased


    I think it's quite widely acknowledged that the media has a liberal bias; whether that translates to news content is a tricker question.

    Most media will betray a slightly "left-of-centre" leaning because that's what gives the best results in the marketplace.

    Obviously to the liberal it looks fairly conservative and to the conservative it looks like radical liberal crap.

    FWIW, Fox is villified in the US out of all proportion to its actual bias and so its reputation feeds very much into a cycle where their market-share becomes more conservative, they target their audience more heavily, they get accused of being more conservative, rinse, repeat.

    They are also wankers, but that's neither here nor there.
    Blah blah Op Blah blah

    Faith in Jesus Christ is +EV. That is all.
  16. #16
    fox news is pretty ridiculous in my mind. i watch it only to laugh, they way they ask questions and what they ask is blatantly slanted towards the conservative side. im with you on this one jack, there are a lot of things that have pissed me off pretty good on fox news.
    Flopping quads and boats like its my job
  17. #17
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,499
    Location
    North Carolina
    lol racistic isn't a word
  18. #18

    Default Re: Fox News Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    man, i have a lot of friend who have very radical views on very sensitive things, but what they think about whatever issues they want to does not affect me. they'll go around shouting their beliefs, i can't condone them for thinking what they want, nor will it affect my own judgement/thinking. i'm cool as long as they do not physically hurt others

    free thoughts/speech, right?
    There's a big difference between what your friends believe/say and what your pastor believes/says. The pastor is someone you are supposed to look up to and learn from. The pastor is supposed to clarify the Bible's teachings, and he is supposed to be held more accountable than your friends. You aren't automatically associated with your friends' beliefs, but you are associated with your pastor's beliefs and rightly so...otherwise, WTF are you doing at his church?

    Also, I agree with Anosmic. It's trendy to call FOX right-wing trash (The whole Digg crowd thinks they are Satan). I think their actual bias is exaggerated. They may be biased, but a lot of people go overboard with it.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow
    lol racistic isn't a word
    That's just what a racist would say.....
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
  20. #20
    frosst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    903
    Location
    count-n mah monies stewie-style
    i watch fox news for the hot chicks. if you watch cnn, they only show shoulder and above, but with fox. they show it all!! lol

  21. #21
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    The country is doing everything they can possibly do to give this election to a democrat, and the democrats are still finding ways to completely fuck it up. Its amazing.

    Obamas pastor is a dipshit, and Obama is a dipshit for not realizing that his pastor is a dipshit and that it MIGHT BE A PROBLEM that for 20 years you went to a guy who hates whitey, and blames white America for all the evils in the world.

    How do you get into politics and not realize that just MIGHT BECOME AN ISSUE?
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    How do you get into politics and not realize that just MIGHT BECOME AN ISSUE?
    for real lol
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  23. #23
    they did realize it would be an issue, they talked about it as obama was going for senate I believe. Its mentioned in an interview with the pastor from a few years back. I think the pastor is a bit too radical, however I dont exactly think he is horribly off on a lot of issues. The problem is that certain things become completely inappropriate when said in a different situation.

    A lot of the ills of american society can be attributed to the white establishment clingy to slavery by oppressing minorities. There are certainly other factors that negatively effect our society, and I am not saying we would have a utopia if this factor didnt exist, however I think its silly to dismiss it.

    I think our country has had a history of meddling in affairs it does not belong in and expressing its will on countries out of its own interest with complete and utter neglect to the well being of the host country. Its not a stretch to say "we had this coming" in respect to 9/11. Does this mean those thousands of innocent people deserved to die? Absolutely not. But that doesnt mean that youre a terrible person because you didnt jump up and start waving the american flag post-9/11. I think the way he expressed himself left much to be desired, however he was on the right track in that we need to figure out what brought this on, and address that. And no, its not because they are jealous of our freedom, that is a really ignorant and close minded view to hold.


    Like I said though, when you are a leader, you need to be very tactful with what you say. Obama is on the cusp being president, he clearly cannot publicly express views such as these, he has to be a flag waiver. Its just not appropriate for him as a presidential nominee to tout these radical views. But I dont see how they are wrong.





    /rant
  24. #24
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by boost
    Like I said though, when you are a leader, you need to be very tactful with what you say. Obama is on the cusp being president, he clearly cannot publicly express views such as these, he has to be a flag waiver.

    Agreed.


    But on fox news, out of 24 hours of programs, 90% is dedicated to inflating this issue, and then they say "we are fair and balanced".
    Just for kicks, I turned to it while writing this post and they were showing it in the ticker, while they were portraying McCain as a saint and good guy, etc, onscreen.

    I can't understand how this kind of blatant bias is allowed
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  25. #25
    My grandparents watch fox news all day every day.

    The also read the national enquirer.

    I think they are the typical audience for them.

    "They said it clear as could be! They can't lie on the news!"
  26. #26
    freedom of speech, thats how...
  27. #27
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    WOW


    and even their online polls are biased


    I go online to vote in a poll "do you think more favorably of Obama now"?

    when I vote, the results were 42:201 y/n, about 1:5
    I refresh the page, the results become 482:3002, exactly 5:1 again!!!!!!


    WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT??????
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  28. #28
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    Dont act like its JUST fox. I know CNN has spent two hours on it tonight because my roomate wont turn the farking thing off. And last night I watched while one of their reporters (who was, obv, black) go "INSIDE THE CHURCH EXCLUSIVE".

    Both sides are pretty 'wtf m8?' over it.

    Theres no doubt that fox has a conservative slant. Why? Because theres a market for it and it sells commercial time.

    Be fair, though. Theres a reason Obama has said he 'denounces' his pastors 'divisive' comments, and its not because of the Repubs. Its because the Hillary camp sees this as their only shot -- and they're probably right.

    The republicans love it because if they slam obama, hillary has a shot at the nomination. And if theres one person McCain can beat in the general election, its Hillary Clinton.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  29. #29
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by boost
    freedom of speech, thats how...
    i think there should be a line drawn between freedom of speech and attempted libel
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  30. #30
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    Dont act like its JUST fox.
    dude, they seem to have made it their mission
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  31. #31
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    The republicans love it because if they slam obama, hillary has a shot at the nomination. And if theres one person McCain can beat in the general election, its Hillary Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    But on fox news, out of 24 hours of programs, 90% is dedicated to inflating this issue, and then they say "we are fair and balanced".
    Just for kicks, I turned to it while writing this post and they were showing it in the ticker, while they were portraying McCain as a saint and good guy, etc, onscreen.

    DINGDINGDING!!!
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    Dont act like its JUST fox.
    dude, they seem to have made it their mission
    no hes right its not just fox. But the networks mimic each other so as to not miss out on a "big story." Just liek how they all fell like dominoes when fox announced bush as the winner in florida...
  33. #33
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    they constantly say "obama's campaign has been send into crisis mode because of his pastors incendiary ccomments" etc WTF
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says?
    I dont know. If I was running for presidential office in the "most important election ever" and you found out that for 20 years that my pastor was a skinhead, and not only did I continue to go there, I actively sought his advice on a number of occasions... you'd make a big deal of it. Because it would be a big deal.

    Theres something racist about the fact that a black man such as.. i dunno.. pastor wright... cant be a racist, even though he publicly blames white people (particularly those goddamned all-powerful jews!) for all the problems in the world.

    I dunno. Its an issue. I like obama, but I certainly lost a lot of respect for him out of this. You cant come on to the scene with a platform of change and unity between parties and races and then have this kind of incredibly divisive shit in your background.

    And I think Al Sharpton has a special level in hell.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  34. #34
    BankItDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,303
    Location
    Losing Prop Bets
    When you have idiots like Hannity, Colmes, and O'Rielly on your program, you know you have problems.
  35. #35
    flomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,610
    Location
    mashing potatoes
    the big multi nationals don't care who is in office in the US
    as long as it is either republicans or democrats

    news is for entertainment purposes(ratings)<--money

    fox found a niche audience ------more power to them
    has anyone mentioned rush limbnuts yets
  36. #36
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    they constantly say "obama's campaign has been send into crisis mode because of his pastors incendiary ccomments" etc WTF
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says?
    I dont know. If I was running for presidential office in the "most important election ever" and you found out that for 20 years that my pastor was a skinhead, and not only did I continue to go there, I actively sought his advice on a number of occasions... you'd make a big deal of it. Because it would be a big deal.

    Theres something racist about the fact that a black man such as.. i dunno.. pastor wright... cant be a racist, even though he publicly blames white people (particularly those goddamned all-powerful jews!) for all the problems in the world.

    I dunno. Its an issue. I like obama, but I certainly lost a lot of respect for him out of this. You cant come on to the scene with a platform of change and unity between parties and races and then have this kind of incredibly divisive shit in your background.

    And I think Al Sharpton has a special level in hell.

    Fair point. But, skinheads are far more action-oriented, imo.
    These black churches are all about talk, lots of talk and then "HALLELUYA"



    And yes, I too think Al Sharpton has a special level in hell, probably with own valet parking
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    has anyone mentioned rush limbnuts yets
    what about him? i'm pretty sure he's allowed to be biased.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  38. #38
    flomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,610
    Location
    mashing potatoes
    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    has anyone mentioned rush limbnuts yets
    what about him? i'm pretty sure he's allowed to be biased.
    he is very biased

    are you saying that nbc, abc, cbs, cnn, fox and all the others are not allowed to be biased?
  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Quote Originally Posted by pgil
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    since most media is biased liberally, they make fox (the conservative one) seem the most biased.
    that's a joke right? you do realize that most media is owned by major multinational corporations, which tend to not be liberal in their biases. there are a couple of really good noam chomsky books on the subject that should be read.
    its not a joke. is it a joke that you think its a joke? ofc its not as obvious or certain as i make it sound but considering what i said completely wrong would be a mistake.

    i have read chomsky but it was on a completely different subject, stuff about languages. what does he say exactly?
    on the supposed liberal bias in the media.

    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2447
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    they constantly say "obama's campaign has been send into crisis mode because of his pastors incendiary ccomments" etc WTF
    again, are we gonna judge someone because of his church? are we gonna judge someone because of what his pastor says?
    I dont know. If I was running for presidential office in the "most important election ever" and you found out that for 20 years that my pastor was a skinhead, and not only did I continue to go there, I actively sought his advice on a number of occasions... you'd make a big deal of it. Because it would be a big deal.

    Theres something racist about the fact that a black man such as.. i dunno.. pastor wright... cant be a racist, even though he publicly blames white people (particularly those goddamned all-powerful jews!) for all the problems in the world.

    I dunno. Its an issue. I like obama, but I certainly lost a lot of respect for him out of this. You cant come on to the scene with a platform of change and unity between parties and races and then have this kind of incredibly divisive shit in your background.

    And I think Al Sharpton has a special level in hell.
    a jew that really hates non-jewish germans

    south-western white land owner who despises "wet backs" and "dependent drunken indians"

    I hope you can see the difference.
  41. #41
    another one, also interesting. Kind of thought provoking to think that both sides of this "debate" are the right-wing side. The website seemed to have many links to articles that detail the conservative bias in the mainstream media.

    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3128
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  42. #42
    gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,807
    Location
    trying to live
    i'll admit to not reading the entire link but i dont get it. does that stuff make you think they aren't biased? if i was biased i wouldn't say i was biased either.
  43. #43
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    WOW


    and even their online polls are biased


    I go online to vote in a poll "do you think more favorably of Obama now"?

    when I vote, the results were 42:201 y/n, about 1:5
    I refresh the page, the results become 482:3002, exactly 1:5 again!!!!!!


    WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT??????

    oh, the polls are closed now

    and the results: TADA

    2369 voted yes
    15955 voted no

    the ratio?

    EXACTLY 1:5 WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    THAT SHIT IS NOW RIGGED OBVIOUSLY
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    2369 voted yes
    15955 voted no

    the ratio?

    EXACTLY 1:5 WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    THAT SHIT IS NOW RIGGED OBVIOUSLY
    lolmathaments
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    has anyone mentioned rush limbnuts yets
    what about him? i'm pretty sure he's allowed to be biased.
    he is very biased

    are you saying that nbc, abc, cbs, cnn, fox and all the others are not allowed to be biased?
    news in general is not supposed to be biased. of course conservative or liberal opinion shows can be though.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  46. #46
    flomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,610
    Location
    mashing potatoes
    5 to 1 baby ...1 in 5
    no one here gets out alive
  47. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,548
    Location
    Putney, UK; Full Tilt,Mansion; $50 NL and PL; $13 and $16 SNGs at Stars
    So 16% of respondents like Obama MORE after this incident? I'd be pretty pleased if I were him, especially since about 80% of the "no I don't like him more" camp will actually be in the "why would I give a shit?" camp.

    And people who have some perverted need to defend Fox News - please defend it on its own terms. saying "well x is just as bad" is no defence.
  48. #48
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    Obama's speech yesterday was the fucking nuts. Go watch it. And dont just listen to it passively. Pay attention.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    i'll admit to not reading the entire link but i dont get it. does that stuff make you think they aren't biased? if i was biased i wouldn't say i was biased either.
    there were two links. The first link was to an article from 1998 that attempted to systematically investigate the supposed "liberal bias" in the media that is constantly stated as fact, but is never backed up with actual evidence. It did this by looking at two things.

    1) The notion that journalists views are to the left of the general public.

    2) That journalists frame news content in a way that accentuates these left perspectives.

    The findings were: "There appear to be very few national journalists with left views on economic questions like corporate power and trade—issues that may well matter more to media owners and advertisers than social issues like gay rights and affirmative action. "

    "the minority of journalists not in the "center" are more likely to identify as having a "left" orientation when it comes to social issues. However, it is also true that the minority of journalists not in the "center" are more likely to identify as having a "right" orientation when it comes to economic issues. Indeed, these economic policy views are often to the right of public opinion."

    "we learn much more about the political orientation of news content by looking at sourcing patterns rather than journalists' personal views. As this survey shows, it is government officials and business representatives to whom journalists "nearly always" turn when covering economic policy. Labor representatives and consumer advocates were at the bottom of the list. This is consistent with earlier research on sources. For example, analysts from the centrist Brookings Institution and right-wing think thanks such as the Heritage Foundation and the American Enterprise Institute are those most quoted in mainstream news accounts; left-wing think tanks are often invisible. When it comes to sources, "liberal bias" is nowhere to be found. "

    The second link was to one of several articles written that detail the unbalanced nature of the national media in the US. This particular outlet (The USA Today) had a 'debate' about the Michael Moore film Sicko. In this debate someone took the side that the film was mostly half-truths and misdirection. The "other side" was voiced by someone who works for the insurance companies. So you can probably imagine that they were even more critical of the film. Not exactly a balanced debate. And definitely not a liberal bias.

    The website itself is not without bias. It states this upfront. It wants a national news/information service that is free of corporate sponsorship, ownership, and control.
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    Obama's speech yesterday was the fucking nuts. Go watch it. And dont just listen to it passively. Pay attention.
    I heard it was a great speech. I'm just about to watch it.

    Here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo
  51. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Oh man, you think Fox News is bad. I watched this show the other day, The Colbert Report. That guy is INSANE. He is convinced that Obama is a terrorist, among other completely irrational things. I can't believe they let him on the air, its sickening. Freedom of speech is one thing, but this guy is nuts.

    I can't believe I had never heard of him until I was channel surfing the other day.

    He is like, Fox News * 1203949
  52. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbox
    Oh man, you think Fox News is bad. I watched this show the other day, The Colbert Report. That guy is INSANE. He is convinced that Obama is a terrorist, among other completely irrational things. I can't believe they let him on the air, its sickening. Freedom of speech is one thing, but this guy is nuts.

    I can't believe I had never heard of him until I was channel surfing the other day.

    He is like, Fox News * 1203949
    colbert for prez
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  53. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbox
    Oh man, you think Fox News is bad. I watched this show the other day, The Colbert Report. That guy is INSANE. He is convinced that Obama is a terrorist, among other completely irrational things. I can't believe they let him on the air, its sickening. Freedom of speech is one thing, but this guy is nuts.

    I can't believe I had never heard of him until I was channel surfing the other day.

    He is like, Fox News * 1203949
    I really really REALLY hope that's a level.

    Colbert is hilarious!
  54. #54
    will641's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    Location
    getting my swell on
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfan79
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbox
    Oh man, you think Fox News is bad. I watched this show the other day, The Colbert Report. That guy is INSANE. He is convinced that Obama is a terrorist, among other completely irrational things. I can't believe they let him on the air, its sickening. Freedom of speech is one thing, but this guy is nuts.

    I can't believe I had never heard of him until I was channel surfing the other day.

    He is like, Fox News * 1203949
    I really really REALLY hope that's a level.

    Colbert is hilarious!
    lol who the fuck cares what colbert says? his job isnt to report the news, hes a comedian!!!
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
  55. #55
    leveled?
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  56. #56
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    new buzzword:

    20 years
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  57. #57
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Al Gore got fucked out of the presidency 4 years ago. The media helped put that republican chimpanzee who won back in power.

    It led the US, once the most powerful nation in the world, to a recession which is actually borderline depression.

    I do not want this to happen again. 20 years from now, I want to look back and see that you yanks did not commit the same mistake 3 times in a row, sinking your country.

    What mistake? Blind trust in the media. Naivety.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  58. #58
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    OMG Al Sharpton is pwning Greta van Susteren

    OMG
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  59. #59
    greta is trash. her show is worthless. trivia note...she is also a scientologist.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  60. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Al Gore got fucked out of the presidency 4 years ago. The media helped put that republican chimpanzee who won back in power.

    It led the US, once the most powerful nation in the world, to a recession which is actually borderline depression.

    I do not want this to happen again. 20 years from now, I want to look back and see that you yanks did not commit the same mistake 3 times in a row, sinking your country.

    What mistake? Blind trust in the media. Naivety.
    I don't think that blind trust in Fox News is the problem. If you mean blind trust in the media generally, is the problem, then I agree with you.

    Al Sharpton (and Jesse Jackson) are both as dumb and ignorant as Greta van Susteren (who is pretty terrible on her own right).
  61. #61
    Ragnar4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,189
    Location
    Billings, Montana
    I find most media to be fair and balanced except for some very obvious arguments. FOX is obviously Slanted so far right they can't go any further.

    Media bias, though, can't really be blamed for political shennanigans. Just the spin they put on the shennanigans.
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
  62. #62
    I've read a bunch of stuff that tries to prove fox's extreme, blatant bias, and I just don't see it. I'm not a right-wing nut either. It seems like people are really reaching and that it's just so popular to say fox is biased now that it is just widely accepted. I do think O'Reilly is slanted to the right, but his show is an opinion show, not a straight-up news report show. No one can be middle of the road on everything or they would never have an opinion on anything. Bias has to bleed through on opinion shows.

    As far as the Obama coverage goes...that was the biggest story for the last week or so, and everybody was covering it like mad. It was the biggest story so it got the most coverage. That's how it always goes so what's the big deal?
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  63. #63
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,499
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfan79
    Quote Originally Posted by shazbox
    Oh man, you think Fox News is bad. I watched this show the other day, The Colbert Report. That guy is INSANE. He is convinced that Obama is a terrorist, among other completely irrational things. I can't believe they let him on the air, its sickening. Freedom of speech is one thing, but this guy is nuts.

    I can't believe I had never heard of him until I was channel surfing the other day.

    He is like, Fox News * 1203949

    I really really REALLY hope that's a level.


    Colbert is hilarious!
  64. #64
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    dude, you are scaring me

    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    I've read a bunch of stuff that tries to prove fox's extreme, blatant bias, and I just don't see it. I'm not a right-wing nut either. It seems like people are really reaching and that it's just so popular to say fox is biased now that it is just widely accepted.

    take me for example. I had no idea about any bias, or that "it's cool to say Fox is biased", or "the folks at digg say that Fox is biased", or anything like that. I simply drew my own conclusions based on what I saw, what I experienced.
    And I have to say, that shithole of "news" channel is 100% biased



    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    I do think O'Reilly is slanted to the right, but his show is an opinion show, not a straight-up news report show. No one can be middle of the road on everything or they would never have an opinion on anything. Bias has to bleed through on opinion shows.

    Opinion is a good thing to have, but opinion expressed on mass media in such a controlled way will distort views (G. Orwell, 1984)
    (specially when it is billed as "true and accurate facts", and "fair and balanced")
    It can also affect judgement and choice of weaker minds pretty easily
    And the US of A is full of weaker minds, who all have a right to express their judgement and choice
    And right now is too critical of a time to allow this to fuck up the country even more (short & long run)


    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    As far as the Obama coverage goes...that was the biggest story for the last week or so, and everybody was covering it like mad. It was the biggest story so it got the most coverage. That's how it always goes so what's the big deal?
    yeah, sure, right after Fox News made sure it was
    Their modus operandi: make it look as if Obama said & meant whatever Wright said
    And then make it look like McCain is the good boy, visiting countries and talking to world leaders, and "keeping the armed forces in Iraq for 100 more years if necessary (crowd cheers)".
    dude, they went as far as inviting a "truthologist" or whatever to give her "expert" opinion and say he was lying during his speech (same way they invited "experts" in on the Mass Effect issue)







    What scares me even more is that people actually believe this crap
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  65. #65
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Fun fact; I googled Boost's statement

    "bush did not win florida"

    And I found this comment on the first hit

    Quote Originally Posted by OldLadyFromWyoming
    I believe the chickens will come home to roost and the shrubbush will get his comeuppance. And the xfreeper and freepers will get their heads up in the sunshine and smell the coffee. Four more years of bush would send this country into a depression worse than the 1929 one.

    This was written in August of 2004



    about the freeper reference

    Quote Originally Posted by x-freeper
    Tom and Josh, you both are clueless. From Josh not knowing how to spell bought (baught) and Tom talking about dimpled chads and mandated recounts. You can both eat the the dimple chad hanging from my arse. Recounts are mandated in Florida, and the first recount had Bush as the winner. Mandate satisfied. The same laws states that it must be done before a certain date. And people who spell like Josh probably count just as bad.

    Blacks and Hispanics were chased from the polls. Yeah, right, old white republicans were in the ghettos scaring blacks away. Give me a break.

    Gore said that the ballots were SO confusing that ALL the old Jewish women that voted for Buchanan actually meant to vote for Gore. Being an if/then guy I would conclude that every old Jewish woman who voted for Gore really meant to vote for Buchanan, which means it was a bigger loss for Gore.

    Any way you slice it, the “Gore-people” are SORE LOSERS!

    ^
    weak minds I'm reffering to



    here is an enlightened one, who will obviously be ignored

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    More FReepertrash spewage. You can take the ‘x’ off that name, ditto monkey.

    How convenient that you forget - when elections finish that close in Florida, recounts are MANDATED by the rules. When the Chimperor and his minions flew in a bunch of Repugnicants from all over the country to participate in the Brooks Brothers riot and STOP THE LEGALLY MANDATED recount, it was in violation of the rules. When the Supremem Court decides that we can’t find out who really won, because the decision ‘might hurt the reputation’ of BabyDoc Bush, they are INSTALLING an UNELECTED leader.

    The real story is how the junta stole the elction last time. Marc was trying to move beyond that, and you just brought it back to the debate table again. Worse, you tried to spin the Repugnicant lies about what really happened AGAIN. Open your eyes and get your head out of Bush’s crotch. Maybe if you Cheneytards would learn to play by the rules, the rest of us might learn to trust what you say (after thoroughly checking it out to make sure it’s true) in about fifty years.

    And, Marc’s right. Nobody won Florida. Their electoral votes were given to BabyDoc Bush so that he could be installed in the White House. No amount of FReepertrash BS can change the facts.

    And every recount but one found that Florida was won by Gore. Maybe you can get your Repugnicant masters to rewrite the history books, and then get the media whores to drill it into the American mindset, but you still cannot hide the truth that pRezNit Prozac was installed against the wishes of the American people.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  66. #66
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    so your basic argument is "people who watch fox news are dumb because they dont agree with me" ?
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  67. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Opinion is a good thing to have, but opinion expressed on mass media in such a controlled way will distort views (G. Orwell, 1984)
    (specially when it is billed as "true and accurate facts", and "fair and balanced")
    It can also affect judgement and choice of weaker minds pretty easily
    And the US of A is full of weaker minds, who all have a right to express their judgement and choice
    And right now is too critical of a time to allow this to fuck up the country even more (short & long run)
    so do you just think news channels should steer clear of opinion shows no matter which way they lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    yeah, sure, right after Fox News made sure it was
    Their modus operandi: make it look as if Obama said & meant whatever Wright said
    I highly doubt that all the other networks started on the Obama story just b/c Fox News was covering it. It's a newsworthy story, and all news networks covered it a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    And then make it look like McCain is the good boy, visiting countries and talking to world leaders, and "keeping the armed forces in Iraq for 100 more years if necessary (crowd cheers)".
    They cover what the candidates are doing. If McCain is visiting other countries then they will show him visiting other countries. They also show clips of Hillary and Obama at their rallies and whatnot with people cheering for them as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    dude, they went as far as inviting a "truthologist" or whatever to give her "expert" opinion and say he was lying during his speech (same way they invited "experts" in on the Mass Effect issue)
    Lol that person comes on a bunch, and I don't think many people take her too seriously. She's good for a laugh maybe.
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.
  68. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    oh, the polls are closed now

    and the results: TADA

    2369 voted yes
    15955 voted no

    the ratio?

    EXACTLY 1:5 WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    THAT SHIT IS NOW RIGGED OBVIOUSLY
    I don't want to meddle in American politics but I don't mind meddling in your math. The 5:1 ratio you keep mentioning shifts around this figure in a mathematically reasonable way. So either Fox is telling the truth about their poll results or they're very good at fudging their data.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." (George Bush).
  69. #69
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    yeah, sure, right after Fox News made sure it was
    Their modus operandi: make it look as if Obama said & meant whatever Wright said
    I highly doubt that all the other networks started on the Obama story just b/c Fox News was covering it. It's a newsworthy story, and all news networks covered it a lot.

    Do you know why I started this whole thread? Because only Fox was showing this, and they went even as far as accusing other stations of not covering it, calling NY Times "biased" for relegating it to a footnote and CNN as "blindfolded"
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  70. #70
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    oh, the polls are closed now

    and the results: TADA

    2369 voted yes
    15955 voted no

    the ratio?

    EXACTLY 1:5 WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    THAT SHIT IS NOW RIGGED OBVIOUSLY
    I don't want to meddle in American politics but I don't mind meddling in your math. The 5:1 ratio you keep mentioning shifts around this figure in a mathematically reasonable way. So either Fox is telling the truth about their poll results or they're very good at fudging their data.
    Good, math time.

    You say with a sample size of 12 you'd get exactly 2 pro and 10 against.
    again, a sample size of 245 you'd get exactly 43 pro and 202 against.
    On a samplesize of 18324 you'd get exactly 2369 pro and 15955 against.
    (Yes, I kept checking this ratio. First two by accident, later premeditated)


    Its way too perfect, dude. I mean, you could be 1:5 total, but it does not grow that exact perfect all the way through the poll. There are gonna be times when a lot of people will vote no one right after the other, and the same has to happen for yes.



    That shit was rigged
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  71. #71
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    so your basic argument is "people who watch fox news are dumb because they dont agree with me" ?

    nope.
    my argument is "Fox news is biased beyond belief, and affects a significant portion of their viewerbase, and nobody does shit about it"


    biased media do wonders come election time, specially in close races
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  72. #72
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by martindcx1e
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Opinion is a good thing to have, but opinion expressed on mass media in such a controlled way will distort views (G. Orwell, 1984)
    (specially when it is billed as "true and accurate facts", and "fair and balanced")
    It can also affect judgement and choice of weaker minds pretty easily
    And the US of A is full of weaker minds, who all have a right to express their judgement and choice
    And right now is too critical of a time to allow this to fuck up the country even more (short & long run)
    so do you just think news channels should steer clear of opinion shows no matter which way they lean?

    opinion show is opinion show. Label it clearly as opinion then. Do not come up with "facts, fair and balanced" because people will believe you

    imagine if you were a public figure. would it be fair for me to use my opinion shows (as in multiple ones) to commit libel against you because of something your long time friend did, all the time saying "i'm fair and balanced! all about facts, baby!"?
    and on top of that get angry because other media does not cover it the same way I do!!
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  73. #73
    euphoricism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,396
    Location
    Your place or my place
    I dont see any station as being any more or less biased as a whole than any other.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
  74. #74
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,654
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    I dont see any station as being any more or less biased as a whole than any other.
    Therein lies the whole problem

    I'm an objective outsider obviously. Why do I not have any complaints about the other networks?
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  75. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer
    oh, the polls are closed now

    and the results: TADA

    2369 voted yes
    15955 voted no

    the ratio?

    EXACTLY 1:5 WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    THAT SHIT IS NOW RIGGED OBVIOUSLY
    I don't want to meddle in American politics but I don't mind meddling in your math. The 5:1 ratio you keep mentioning shifts around this figure in a mathematically reasonable way. So either Fox is telling the truth about their poll results or they're very good at fudging their data.
    Good, math time.

    You say with a sample size of 12 you'd get exactly 2 pro and 10 against.
    again, a sample size of 245 you'd get exactly 43 pro and 202 against.
    On a samplesize of 18324 you'd get exactly 2369 pro and 15955 against.
    (Yes, I kept checking this ratio. First two by accident, later premeditated)


    Its way too perfect, dude. I mean, you could be 1:5 total, but it does not grow that exact perfect all the way through the poll. There are gonna be times when a lot of people will vote no one right after the other, and the same has to happen for yes.



    That shit was rigged
    Based on the figures you've quoted:

    the ratio from Obamabad:Obamagood has gone from 4.79 to 6.22 to 6.73, where the latter two figures (with higher sample sizes) are closer together than either is to 4.79. All I'm saying is that this is more plausible than any other scenario mathematically. Fox could be making them all up for what we know but it seems just as plausible to me that their audience (whoever that might be) seems to support the Obamabad view.

    I'm completely neutral myself. But I like math.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." (George Bush).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •