Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,283,000 Posts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 75 of 91
  1. #1

    Default Make 1k

    New exciting blog to keep track of my progress. Aim is make 1k, real money though none of this $ shit.

    Aim is to spend £0 on anything that isn't going to make me money till I have that 1k. This will be done through playing poker and Maths tutoring, all whilst actually sorting shit out to do my PGCE. I've also been completely sober since New Years day which I'm going to try and keep up for the whole month as the start of one of those do something for a month challenges.

    £23.22 in the bank
    $35.09 on stars

    Daily Goals starting from Monday.
  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    New exciting blog to keep track of my progress. Aim is make 1k, real money though none of this $ shit.

    Aim is to spend £0 on anything that isn't going to make me money till I have that 1k. This will be done through playing poker and Maths tutoring, all whilst actually sorting shit out to do my PGCE. I've also been completely sober since New Years day which I'm going to try and keep up for the whole month as the start of one of those do something for a month challenges.

    £23.22 in the bank
    $35.09 on stars

    Daily Goals starting from Monday.
    GL lad.

    Wanna do one of these blog things but have no idea how I would carry it out.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
  3. #3
    Good luck savy, you can do it! What stakes will you start out at?

    Cobra - yes you should start a blog too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Good luck savy, you can do it! What stakes will you start out at?

    Cobra - yes you should start a blog too!
    Will be 2nl, not sure how I'm going to go about it though. I might just 4 table zoom.
  5. #5
    [06:09] <ImSavy> villain is unknown
    [06:09] <ImSavy> http://weaktight.com/6410403
    [06:09] <ImSavy> what do we think of river sizing?

    [06:13] <ImSavy> villains unknown again
    [06:13] <ImSavy> http://weaktight.com/6410410
    [06:13] <ImSavy> should bet flop
    [06:14] <ImSavy> and as played fold turn?

    In the second hand villain just doesn't have any strong Ax as he'd cbet, weak Ax he isn't going to shove the turn with, sets he'd bet flop with. Draws I don't think he's attempting to GII with unless it's KcTc. I think he basically has QQ almost all the time.
  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    [06:09] <ImSavy> villain is unknown
    [06:09] <ImSavy> http://weaktight.com/6410403
    [06:09] <ImSavy> what do we think of river sizing?

    [06:13] <ImSavy> villains unknown again
    [06:13] <ImSavy> http://weaktight.com/6410410
    [06:13] <ImSavy> should bet flop
    [06:14] <ImSavy> and as played fold turn?

    In the second hand villain just doesn't have any strong Ax as he'd cbet, weak Ax he isn't going to shove the turn with, sets he'd bet flop with. Draws I don't think he's attempting to GII with unless it's KcTc. I think he basically has QQ almost all the time.
    Hand 1 - I think you can go much bigger at 2NL. Villain is gonna call $1 through to $1.50 just the same if he is holding any decent Ax hand.

    Hand 2 - Never folding a set at 2NL. Ever. Donk flop, as played stacking off all day.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
  7. #7
    Hand 1 - bdfd and JT gets there, so river is kind of blah imo (56ss,9Tss,9Jss,Q9ss,K9ss,JT,A7 all get there). So I like your sizing, with plan of b/f.

    Hand 2 - first pumping
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
  8. #8
    Today
    At least 4 Hours Poker
    Email two schools
    Ring tutoring lady
  9. #9
    Unfortunately my internet has been off since 2am till 4pm. Got an hour and a half in before it went off and an hour in after it came back on. Been up since my last post though so I'm shattered. Not going to try and force another hour and a half in. Just make sure I'm in bed by 8pm and up nice and early tomorrow.

    Emails sent, phone call will have to be done tomorrow as I didn't have access to the number till too late.



    I think 3 hour and a half sessions will be the standard for a while, with the eventual goal to be able to play 3 two hour sessions a day.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $50.87
  10. #10
    21/1/14
    At Least 4 hours Poker
    Ring Tutoring Lady
  11. #11
    I'll race you to £1k

    BR= $304.79
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  12. #12
    Make that $314.79 and 1 less fpp
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  13. #13
    You're on, no spending any FPP except on those milestones at 750 etc etc though and make it $1.5k.

    I also assume you mean stars roll only. If so ye definitely.
  14. #14
    nl2 zoom ?
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by akka wlf View Post
    nl2 zoom ?
    ye
  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    21/1/14
    At Least 4 hours Poker
    Ring Tutoring Lady


    Crushed the volume goal, going to just chill out for the rest of the day now. Hopefully stay up till 10pm and wake up at a more reasonable time tomorrow.

    Phonecall I couldn't deal with today, need to find out more about it before I ring because for some reason ringing people I don't know who aren't expecting me when I'm not really sure what to say cripples me.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $59.65

    Watch ya back Ong
  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    You're on, no spending any FPP except on those milestones at 750 etc etc though and make it $1.5k.

    I also assume you mean stars roll only. If so ye definitely.
    Ok, you're on.

    Seeing as I have a $250 head start on you we'll set my target as $1750 and yours at $1500.

    Also, I lose if my BR drops below $250, unless I cashout some, and you lose if you lose your roll and have to reload with IRL funds. So we're on a level playing field here, regardless of stakes. If I stay at 10nl, I risk variance fucking me over.

    Prize - loser buys winner into sunday storm? I'm down with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  18. #18
    1200 hand session

    BR = $314.59

    shit I'm down 20c... how the fuck did that happen?

    *edit - BR = $325.47
    Last edited by OngBonga; 01-21-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Ok, you're on.

    Seeing as I have a $250 head start on you we'll set my target as $1750 and yours at $1500.

    Also, I lose if my BR drops below $250, unless I cashout some, and you lose if you lose your roll and have to reload with IRL funds. So we're on a level playing field here, regardless of stakes. If I stay at 10nl, I risk variance fucking me over.

    Prize - loser buys winner into sunday storm? I'm down with that.
    So both players start with current BR, me at $59.65 you at $325.47.

    I must hit $1500 before you hit $1750.

    Any withdrawals come out of the roll. So if you get to $1200 and withdraw $200 you are at $1000. Same goes for me.

    Both parties may not deposit in this time, if your br hits 0 or you redeposit you lose.

    No FPP may be spent except on Stars milestone bonuses at 750VPP, 1500VPP etc etc

    Loser ships the winner $25 on stars?

    Sound good?
  20. #20
    Heard back from my first school today and I am in there for the first three days of next week. Hopefully when the other school replies I can get writing application and get it sent off.

    Weekly Goal
    Be in bed before 12:00
    Up at 7am

    22/01/14
    4+ Hours of Poker
  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,697
    Location
    soaking up ethanol, moving on up
    enjoy the journey to $1k
  22. #22
    Yeah all good. Wow $25, that's like £15 in real money. I'll probably spend it on weed if I win.

    Post cashier screenshots at $500, $1k and $1.5k (and $1.75k for me). Don't forget to black out personal info.

    I want to be averaging at least $10 a day at 10nl and above, so I'm looking to be done in around 6 months or so. I'm planning to play 2nl to $350, 5nl to $500, 10nl to $1k, 25nl at $1k+. I'll step down at 20 BI if needs be, though I can't see that happening seeing as I'm being ultra conservative with BR to keep things on a level playing field. I'll still be playing mtts because removing that seems pretty damn -ev, so if I hit a $500+ win from mtt we'll call it a draw, unless you're playing mtts too?

    I don't even mind losing. It's good to have targets, it motivates me to get some grinding in. I'm gonna put a 1k hand session in now that I probably wouldn't have bothered with.

    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #23
    ongie....wouldn't it be fairer to just withdraw your bankroll down to the same as savy......playing 2nl with 350$ roll is weird
  24. #24
    Well that's what I'm doing, without actually withdrawing. The extra $250 in my account is pretty much ignored. I'm playing 2nl with an effective $75 roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  25. #25
    You don't have to play different limits I'm more than happy for you to grind any limits you want. The only thing that would fuck me off was if you had a score in a tournament or something but it's all fair game as far as I'm concerned. Just no depositing obviously.
  26. #26
    Yeah I'm not gonna count big mtt scores, I realise that's unfair. But at the same time I'm not gonna stop playing them because I have too much success, most of my cashouts have come from mtt scores. We'll cross that bridge if we get there, I'll let you know about any mtt score over $50 and we'll maybe up my target by that amount to keep things fair.

    As for limits, I think some 2nl will do me good to start the year out, get some confidence back.

    BR after 1k hand session today - $327.83

    Some bad calls and a little bit of bad luck early on, but otherwise decent session, happy to turn it into a profitable one.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 01-22-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Aim is to spend £0 on anything that isn't going to make me money till I have that 1k. This will be done through playing poker and Maths tutoring, all whilst actually sorting shit out to do my PGCE.
    PGCE eh? Sounds like a good plan, but if you're not already aware, it can be brutal and you'll consequently need to be utterly committed to doing it. You'll be grinding 60 hour weeks as standard, plus the same for a few years afterwards, but at least you can get started early on making the resources and doing the lesson planning.

    What's the demand like in your area for the tutoring? The Missus used to do alright out of it in Birmingham because there were a lot of Asian parents that were prepared to pay about £20 per hour, but I think she'd struggle if she wanted to do it now in the town we are living in. The parents here seem to shell out on tutoring for the 11+ but not so much later on.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    I've also been completely sober since New Years day which I'm going to try and keep up for the whole month as the start of one of those do something for a month challenges.
    Probably for the best given....

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    £23.22 in the bank
  28. #28
    Well I've put like absolutely 0 effort into finding any really so I don't know. I'd imagine it's pretty high, can get £20 an hour without too much trouble also lots of schools round here with entrance exams on that front too. And the PGCE I'll see how it goes if I hate it just will finish it off and not become a teacher. No harm done in doing it really.

    Also £23.22 is the good figure, you'd shudder if you knew the ACTUAL amount in my bank atm.
  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    22/01/14
    4+ Hours of Poker


    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $59.99

    Was not a good day. Made some poor calls early on in the day and had some really meh runouts. Favourite hand was someone limping in the SB w/77 when I was in the BB flopping quads and proceeding to check 3 streets with me putting $0 into the pot

    On the +side sorted out dates for experience at the second school so that's all my experience done needed. Means I can get my PGCE application off in mid February which is good. Also sorted out getting some help with that phonecall I need to make so that should get sorted on the weekend.

    Now I just have to try and be asleep before 12 which after that football game may not be too easy.
  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Well I've put like absolutely 0 effort into finding any really so I don't know. I'd imagine it's pretty high, can get £20 an hour without too much trouble also lots of schools round here with entrance exams on that front too. And the PGCE I'll see how it goes if I hate it just will finish it off and not become a teacher. No harm done in doing it really.
    True - good plan.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Also £23.22 is the good figure, you'd shudder if you knew the ACTUAL amount in my bank atm.
    Gah, it took me years to clear my overdraft after graduating. You're only young once and enjoy the lack of responsibility - it won't be long before you're at that point where you've got more cash than you really need but no time or opportunities to spend it (i.e. you won't be able to get away with turning up for work with a stinking hangover).
  31. #31
    Overdraft is getting paid off bit by bit. It's interest free for a year (Till August-ish I think) but if I get onto a PGCE place I get 15k for the year so it should be no worries. But I'd still like to know that if I needed to I could pay it off. I think the interest is only like 1-3% a month too so I'd be able to keep it steady grinding 2nl so that's no worry.

    If I can get myself in a position where my bank account is never dropping below 0 and not owning any form of credit card life will be chilled. I'm not really a materialistic person, don't need a big house or any of that shit so if I'm working full time and grinding the bank account should be increasing. Would also be nice to get to a point where I can ship my parents the odd bit of money.

    23/01/14
    4+ Hours of poker

    Aiming for at least five because Mon-Wed I'll be out from 8-4 which will mean I'll be only getting in ~3 hours on those days at a max.
  32. #32
    Just over 4 hours today. Going to call it a day been a crappy one. Will post some hands for sanity check.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $47.52
  33. #33
    Villain is as reggish as they get at 2nl zoom. 24/18 with like 70%/60% cbet on flop/turn. 13% BB 3bet (23), s

    http://weaktight.com/6423466

    I think just I'm best off just flatting and GII/folding depending on the river card.


    SB unknown, BB is nitty. Better off flatting but I expect this isn't too bad.
    http://weaktight.com/6423480

    Only big hands I don't think I played well today, few river calls I made were a bit meh too.
    Last edited by Savy; 01-23-2014 at 12:33 PM.
  34. #34
    I keep seeing you but we're not getting involved in each others' hands! I wanna stack you so bad!

    I'm up to $332.66
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Villain is as reggish as they get at 2nl zoom. 24/18 with like 70%/60% cbet on flop/turn. 13% BB 3bet (23), s

    http://weaktight.com/6423466

    I think just I'm best off just flatting and GII/folding depending on the river card.


    SB unknown, BB is nitty. Better off flatting but I expect this isn't too bad.
    http://weaktight.com/6423480

    Only big hands I don't think I played well today, few river calls I made were a bit meh too.
    ATs: 4bet or fold pre imo (and maybe even fuck around with limping). When you makepre-flop mistakes like this, you're just going to end up check folding the flop too often or compounding your mistake by being value towned or only get one Cbet when you flop well. Chk/raise flop and gii as played.

    Ak: i think you played it well.
  36. #36
    You might be right about ATs being a 4bet/fold. I'd edge toward folding because I block too much of his folding range which will be like TT, 9-AT but off the top of my head I don't know. To I quite happily fold and ATs is the worst Ace I call in that spot would be a very easy fold against most players at 2nl zoom just a poor adjustment on my part and probably tilt creeping in after a crappy day at the tables.
  37. #37
    I call the ATs to 3b at 2nl, we have a hand that flops well with good implied odds. I don't like to 4b here because I don't expect villain to fold AJ, let alone AQ, and villains will setmine all day long at an awful price, so we're not folding out his pairs either. And they don't fold 33 on 47J flops very often. Folding is ok but I'd be calling A2s here vs most villains at 2nl so this is easy.

    AK is meh, I think just call when villain calls the donk shove and hope to see it checked down. If villain bets turn I think just quietly fold and take notes if he's overvaluing his hand or bluffing a protected pot.

    I'm up to $346.08, played a ten minute session at 10nl and got stacks in good twice to counter a poor 5nl session earlier.

    savy if you're still only rolled for 2nl when I hit $500 I'm prepared to top you up so you can step up if you wish, you can repay when you hit $200, or earlier if you choose. 2nl can be depressing when runbad sets in because we feel like we deserve to own the shit out of bad players, it can be soul destroying when we don't. That mentality setting in can be terrible, and I'd hate to think that me making money while you're breaking even is adding to that tilt, that would make this little race no fun. The ultimate goal here is to build a roll, not to beat each other. I've played more poker than usual thanks to this little race, I'm feeling motivated, so if it's going good for me and not you, I'm happy to help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  38. #38
    I appreciate the offer but working on my entitlement tilt isn't going to be a bad thing and sticking it out and grinding through it is going to be something everyone has to do and there's no rush getting out of 2nl. Also you running away with it wouldn't add to the tilt it's just a bit of fun to make the grind a little more interesting.

    24/1/14
    5+ Hours
  39. #39
    Fair enough, well that offer remains open so long as I'm rolled $500+.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  40. #40
    Appreciated.

    Cancelled my old stake today. Just going to go it alone by the time he's sorted everything out I'll already be at 5nl well on my way to 10 so may aswell keep all teh monies.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    24/1/14
    5+ Hours


    Kept my head well today which I'm happy with as I ran crap in the morning session which wasn't what I needed to start the day. The volume is so nice to put in because if that happened over a period of a week or so if I was putting in ~1k hands a day I'd have just thought fuck it. Also just realised I should hit Silver this month if I keep up 3 hours a day which I'm surprised by, only been playing since the 19th. Makes me realise how lazy I have been in the past with putting in volume.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $52.07

    Graphs and anything else people might want to see will get posted when I move up/down in stakes.

    Funniest thing I've seen in a while

    Last edited by Savy; 01-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.
  41. #41
    25/1/14
    4 (or more) 1 hours sessions
    Start Part 2 Janda's Book.
  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    25/1/14
    4 (or more) 1 hours sessions
    Start Part 2 Janda's Book.


    Did almost no reading, doing work at the weekend in my house just isn't happening unfortunately.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $53.54

    26/01/14
    4 Hours Pokering
    Post most interesting hands from week.
    Last edited by Savy; 01-25-2014 at 06:17 PM.
  43. #43
    I'm gonna start a blog too so I don't hijack yours with updates and interesting hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Hand 1 - bdfd and JT gets there, so river is kind of blah imo (56ss,9Tss,9Jss,Q9ss,K9ss,JT,A7 all get there).

    So I like your sizing, with plan of b/f.

    Hand 2 - first pumping
    Really? With over two thirds of stack committed, to fold for the less than a third remaining?
    I don't like that as a plan.

    With pot at $1.67, I would prefer to bet just less than half if planning to fold,
    or to check and possibly call a small amount up to half pot,
    or else decide to fully commit if committing more than half the pot and more than two thirds of stack.

    I do like the size but I would feel committed to continue if I had gone that large.
  45. #45
    The fuck does it matter how much of our stack has gone in if we don't have the odds to call? We're playing cash.
  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    You don't have to play different limits I'm more than happy for you to grind any limits you want. The only thing that would fuck me off was if you had a score in a tournament or something but it's all fair game as far as I'm concerned. Just no depositing obviously.
    You might want to give yourselves the opportunity to make deposits to take advantage of promotions,
    but being honest with each other and ensure they are offset like you are doing with the difference in rolls.
    Otherwise you might both miss out on things.
    Good Luck to both of you, I hope it is a close race, and you both get close to your targets simultaneously.
  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    The fuck does it matter how much of our stack has gone in if we don't have the odds to call? We're playing cash.
    Datz da point, if you've committed that much, you do have the odds to call the tiny amount you have left on the table, before reloading.
  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist View Post
    Datz da point, if you've committed that much, you do have the odds to call the tiny amount you have left on the table, before reloading.
    When villain raises in the hand I posted I'm almost always beat. Even if I only need to be good 20% of the time I'm just not.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    26/01/14
    4 Hours Pokering
    Post most interesting hands from week.
    Did like 3.5 hours wasn't feeling it and I want an hour to chill out before I go to bed. Most of the hands I looked through were all pretty standard 2nl he raised it didn't make any sense yet he had it type hands I should have folded, some tilt hands and some coolers. So only the one hand to post. Any feedback welcome (in the hands thread pls)

    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...64#post2191564

    Start up at school for the next 3 days so that will cut into my volume. Going to try and get two 1.5 hour sessions in a day and if I'm up early maybe an hour before leaving. Also need to make sure that I get started preparing for my personal statement which I hate doing.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $57.68
    Last edited by Savy; 01-26-2014 at 06:18 PM.
  49. #49
    are you guys playing 6max or FR. you can crush 2nl FR multitabling for better hourlys than 3-4 tabling 6max and getting better vip. i was getting goldstar rate at 5nl FR over 120 vpps per day 10 tabling.
  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    are you guys playing 6max or FR. you can crush 2nl FR multitabling for better hourlys than 3-4 tabling 6max and getting better vip. i was getting goldstar rate at 5nl FR over 120 vpps per day 10 tabling.
    6max zoom and I'm not too fussed about VPP. 5nl zoom will be ~20VPP an hour 4 tabling so it's < 4.5 hours a day. Which if I was at 5nl all month would be easily achievable but I won't be.

    In all honesty though I'm not planning that far ahead. Being specific about anything that requires results holding up just isn't happening. If the volume and study gets put in I'll make the money and probably hit SN by the end of the year, if it doesn't I won't. I thought 5bb/100 would get me out of 2nl in the month easily and the volume would sort out any problems w/ regards to variance and after under 40k hands I can tell you it hasn't and all it did was annoy me that I won't be out of 2nl by the end of the month and my winrate is <5bb making me more prone to tilt when I have a bad session.
    Last edited by Savy; 01-26-2014 at 06:44 PM.
  51. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    6max zoom and I'm not too fussed about VPP. 5nl zoom will be ~20VPP an hour 4 tabling so it's < 4.5 hours a day. Which if I was at 5nl all month would be easily achievable but I won't be.

    In all honesty though I'm not planning that far ahead. Being specific about anything that requires results holding up just isn't happening. If the volume and study gets put in I'll make the money and probably hit SN by the end of the year, if it doesn't I won't. I thought 5bb/100 would get me out of 2nl in the month easily and the volume would sort out any problems w/ regards to variance and after under 40k hands I can tell you it hasn't and all it did was annoy me that I won't be out of 2nl by the end of the month and my winrate is <5bb making me more prone to tilt when I have a bad session.
    wanna watch me play some 2nl FR tomorrow night ...prolly be after 11pm when wife has gone to bed. just easyseat on 10 tables with no HUD so no table selecting or stats. just me vs the fish. ok small sample but






  52. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    When villain raises in the hand I posted I'm almost always beat. Even if I only need to be good 20% of the time I'm just not.
    Interesting, thanks for posting your thinking (and presumably griffeys). It really helps me to understand.

    Some things are just outside of my thought process,
    like SN within a year from a $57 Roll, is that really a possibility? (with 1k being made from vip rewards).
  53. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    wanna watch me play some 2nl FR tomorrow night ...prolly be after 11pm when wife has gone to bed. just easyseat on 10 tables with no HUD so no table selecting or stats. just me vs the fish. ok small sample but
    It's >5 in EV now (~40k hands) and I'm playing zoom so winrates aren't going to be a huge amount better. I think 8 is going to pretty much be the ceiling on it (guess) and if I cut out some spew I wouldn't be far off that.

    Cheers for the offer though, but I'll probably be in bed by then anyway :P
  54. #54
    Turns out I'm not cut out for 6 hours sleep, day at work and then doing stuff when I get home. Only got two and a half hours in over the past three days but the school experience was really good. Interesting to see a lot of my old Maths teachers and how they are in the staff room, i.e. worse than the kids. Got a bit boring towards the end as I was mostly just sat at the back watching, but really enjoyed the bits where I was allowed to get involved and help. Got some pretty solid advice too so was definitely worth it.

    Poker wise as I said volume was pretty poor but the sessions I did play went well.

    L Roll - £23.22
    S Roll - $71.89

    30/01/14 - 31/01/14
    Turn scribbles into actual notes
    12+ hours of poker
  55. #55
    Nice! I think you're in the lead! That shifted quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  56. #56
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    This thread is for nerds
    LOL OPERATIONS
  57. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Turns out I'm not cut out for 6 hours sleep, day at work and then doing stuff when I get home.
    Welcome to the real world! I rarely play Mon-Thurs nights now, but it's having a positive effect on my winnings. Mainly because the weekend is rammed-full of fish but equally because I'm not forcing myself to play against a bunch of regs when I'm not fully functioning.
  58. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Welcome to the real world! I rarely play Mon-Thurs nights now, but it's having a positive effect on my winnings. Mainly because the weekend is rammed-full of fish but equally because I'm not forcing myself to play against a bunch of regs when I'm not fully functioning.
    Luckily I'm back out of it :P Tbh though I think I'd get used to it, one of the main problems is my lack of exercise for the past 6 months and poor diet. If these two things improved then getting a couple of hours in a night wouldn't be too hard.

    School emailed me today asking if I'd like to go in and take part in support classes they offer to various age groups which either means they are desperate for people or I did ok whilst I was there so think I'll be adding that to my schedule which is only going to look good when I apply for things in the future and more importantly I should enjoy.

    Hit 5NL last night after my cash in the FTR250, so here are my graphs and what not. If anyone wants to see anything else just ask.

  59. #59
    Managed to go the whole month without a drink.
    Managed to cut out adding sugar to things like tea & cereal

    Feb Goals
    80+ Hours of poker
    Finish Organising (and preferably have completed) school experience
    Finish & Send off Uni Application

    Should be doable as long as I get back into a routine of putting the time in playing as I've been poor the last few days. Did enough to get silver and then stopped playing, first session at 5nl zoom was really strange everyone was being really aggro and always had it but after getting a few more hands in everyone is still awful and the only real difference is people cbet more and can fold to flop raises.

    I've also managed to go into a shitty sleeping routine again so will force myself to stay up all night and try to sleep till around 4am on Monday.

    L Roll - < £20 (will be almost 0 by next week)
    S Roll - $101.34
    Last edited by Savy; 02-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.
  60. #60
    dont even look at your vpps till you're grinding 2/4+

    that goes for all of you, seriously
  61. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    dont even look at your vpps till you're grinding 2/4+

    that goes for all of you, seriously
    Was going to make a post about not looking very often and just seeing if I am near to silver as making that little bit extra effort is probably worth it but it turns out to be worth $8 if I hit 1k VPP at silver so it probably isn't even worth thinking about.
    Last edited by Savy; 02-05-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: maths <<<<
  62. #62
    Change your title to make 100k or I will. Because as soon as you make your 1k you will shut down without a higher goal as your true vision
  63. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Was going to make a post about not looking very often and just seeing if I am near to silver as making that little bit extra effort is probably worth it but it turns out to be worth $8 if I hit 1k VPP at silver so it probably isn't even worth thinking about.
    You nit picky bastard. I would hate to have you as a maths teacher
  64. #64
    Dunno how to rename threads and "M2M Calls Me Shit ITT" would be a better rename.
  65. #65
    edit the first post and change the title box text
  66. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    dont even look at your vpps till you're grinding 2/4+

    that goes for all of you, seriously
    what's your primary reason for this suggestion? Mostly due to the improved conversion of VPPs into cash when you reach higher levels, supernova etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
  67. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    what's your primary reason for this suggestion? Mostly due to the improved conversion of VPPs into cash when you reach higher levels, supernova etc?
    From observation and experience, the vast majority of players play too many tables at small stakes in an effort to grind VPPs which is detrimental to actually getting better and doesn't result in substantially more profit.

    Its better to just focus on moving up (few tables, more review/study, better table selection) and then increasing your volume once you've reached a level where more VPPs = serious money - assuming you'd rather make more money in the long run and have a better chance at surviving whatever storms poker will throw at us. Example, moving down from say, 5/10 to 2/4 won't cut your career. Moving down from .5/1 to anything will.

    I highly doubt the average .5/1 grinder who plays ~20 tables can afford to take 2 months off to revamp their game. The average MSNL player probably takes a month every so often to cut volume substantially to revamp their game, and probably is able to go on a vacation on top of it.
    Last edited by Micro2Macro; 02-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
  68. #68
    Yah i definitely agree with that. If grinding for vpp's is coming at the expense of playing a controllable amount of tables, at which you can think through decisions appropriately, then it's definitely inhibiting your growth.

    If playing longer hours/more volume to grind out vpp's is coming at the expense of studying, then it's even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
  69. #69
    wouldnt the VPP's be pointlessly time consuming comparatively to winnings for anyone that doesn't make SNE? and SNE is almost impossible at .50/1...
  70. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by ajspiano View Post
    wouldnt the VPP's be pointlessly time consuming comparatively to winnings for anyone that doesn't make SNE? and SNE is almost impossible at .50/1...
    What difference does SNE make? The best VPP conversion rate you get is $1600 for 100,000. SNE is juts more milestone bonuses.
  71. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    What difference does SNE make? The best VPP conversion rate you get is $1600 for 100,000. SNE is juts more milestone bonuses.
    Well because its not 100k VPPs for $1600.. its 100K FPPs, and SNEs earn 5 FPPs per VPP, comparitively to 3.5/vpp for supernovas.

    Ultimately, SNE's get more like 60%+ (75% for 2nd time continuing SNEs) rake back comparitively to 40% for supernovas, though its does steadily get better the closer you get to SNE, the peak of supernova - 800-999K VPPs is worth ~50% rakeback.

    The milestones are pretty significant in terms of how it impacts your base rakeback percentage. 20K for hitting SNE doubles the amount of milestone money you get along the way to that point.
    Last edited by ajspiano; 02-08-2014 at 03:41 AM.
  72. #72
    Has a good weekend seeing my mate from uni, spent yesterday recovering and now I'm back on it. Spent a couple of hours at school today and will be continuing to do this for the next few weeks.

    First part of Applications has been read over the past days, now I'm onto the preflop play stuff so the aim is to finish the Max 3-bet stuff by tomorrow.
    Get in a couple of hours poker tonight along with some review and start grinding hard again from tomorrow. 80 hours might be a bit off due to the lack of time put in so far however I should still get in some good volume. I'm hoping at least 40k hands.

    I also had my first database fuck up of the year wooo! Although this one was completely my own fault for fucking about trying to optimise it. No harm done though as I only had about 8k hands at 5nl and was ~$10 down and didn't exactly have a sample on anyone.

    Going to try and get started on my personal statement tomorrow too along with emailing a primary school for experience. Then I just have to sort out a comprehensive which for some reason seems to be harder.

    S Roll - $89.98
    L Roll - £0 (slightly more than this but will update when significantly more)
    Last edited by Savy; 02-12-2014 at 09:56 AM.
  73. #73
    Been a while since I last updated, just been grinding really. Has all been going pretty well, talking through hands in irc has been pretty fantastic so hopefully that continues to stay active.

    Dropped down to two tables (so ~500 hands/hour) hence the apparent lack of volume. Past few sessions I haven't played all that great so I'll probably only get a couple of hours in today and spend more time studying.

    My note taking and labelling has improved greatly though and I'm really keeping on top of it which is something I haven't done in the past.




    Been a massive fail on my part regarding school stuff though as schools are all off on half term. So it's pretty much a week wasted with regards to that as I didn't sort stuff out sooner.

    S Roll - $129.52
    Last edited by Savy; 02-19-2014 at 12:37 AM.
  74. #74
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    754
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Good luck on your goal & congrats on the no-drinking (did you carry that into Feb.?)
  75. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice View Post
    Good luck on your goal & congrats on the no-drinking (did you carry that into Feb.?)
    I went out drinking with a mate who'd come down from London earlier this month but apart from that and maybe two glasses of wine that's all I've had. Not really something I'm actively trying to stop doing, just cutting down on my spending so that kind of means I drink less. When I'm back earning some money I'll probably be back to drinking a handful of times a month.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •