Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Wine

Default Wine

I have turned from a drinker of the various LCBO imported beers (liquor stores, for the americans and those outside of Canada), to wine.

Santa Margherita Pinto Grigio White Wine in particular.

This brand I purchased today is from Italy in the 750ML size for $17CAD. I love white wine.

Anyone here a fan of wine?
    drunk 2 nite btw fwiw brb mthrfckr
    red wine is where its at. really really dry red.

a good shiraz is probably my current favourite
    "If you can't say f*ck, you can't say f*ck the government" - Lenny Bruce
    never got into red's. when the wine hits your tongue and all the moisture just gets sucked off, its a nasty feeling/taste to me.

more of a dry chardonnay type, myself. served with a white pasta, of course.
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!
    wine is fucking nasty.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Cab is dope
    I love wine...white, red, bubbly, even some pink. I drink more wine than anything else now.
    Japanese plum wine is amazing. As far as American and European wines go, I'm not in love with any of them, but I often buy a bottle of pinot noir or cabernet to use for cooking and then drink a glass of it with dinner. Regular cooking wine is some nasty ass shit.
    I've always liked Zinfandel... (not Pink Zin...). I think it tastes fantastic.. no overly dry, lots of flavor. Why the hell doesn't the rest of the world figure out that this stuff tastes great?
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Quote Originally Posted by zook
    I love wine...white, red, bubbly, even some pink. I drink more wine than anything else now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    Regular cooking wine is some nasty ass shit.
    Maybe boost can help me out here, but you should never buy cooking wine to cook - just use regular wine. Cooking wine is just wine with a whole bunch of salt added to it - I think it originated from way back when (Victorian era mayhaps??) when the rich bitches didn't want their cooks drinking on the job.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Cooking Wine is used when you rarely cook with wine. Its so you can open the bottle, put it back on the shelf for a few weeks, and then use it again. Cant really do that with "real" wine.

When a wine bottle is opened and the wine is exposed to oxygen, a fermentative process will transform the alcohol into acetic acid resulting in wine vinegar. The salt in cooking wine inhibits the growth of the acetic acid producing microorganisms. This preservation is important because a bottle of cooking wine may be opened and used occasionally over a long period of time.

From wiki:
    Cooking wines are convenient for cooks who use wine as an ingredient for cooking only rarely. However, they are not widely used by professional chefs, as they believe the added preservative significantly lowers the quality of the wine and resultantly the food made with that wine. Most professional chefs prefer to use inexpensive but drinkable wine for cooking, and this recommendation is given in many professional cooking textbooks as well as general cookbooks. Many chefs believe there is no excuse for using a low quality cooking wine for cooking when there are quality drinkable wines available at very low prices.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Quote Originally Posted by chardrian
    Maybe boost can help me out here, but you should never buy cooking wine to cook - just use regular wine.
    I thought that's what I was saying in my post. I never use cooking wine because it's gross as hell.

Good info eupho. I guess it's the same as using dried herbs and garlic powder because if you buy the fresh stuff it'll go bad before long. Well OK, but fresh ingredients make food taste so much better and they're really not that expensive.
    I like good cabs (Louis Maritini is good), tempranillos (spain), malbecs, dry chardonnays, and the occasional chianti. Stay away from riesling, disgusting.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    OP, is this you?
    Quote Originally Posted by HalvSame
    OP, is this you?
    very funny.

The LCBO man told me that their most popular australian wines include the bottle you're holding.
    bigred try trimbach riesling from france
    it is dry and very tasty

new zealand sauvignon blancs are my favorite right now
    White wine is for girls and extremely hot days.
    Red wine is where it's at. I prefer, Zinfindel's & Cabs. Shiraz is good too. I don't have the money for good Bordeaux or Super Tuscans yet. But some day. . .
    Right now I have quite a few Turley's in my cellar, some Caymus, Gary Farrell, and Sinsky. For bargains, see Greg Norman's wine and Washington Pinots/Cabs.
    On whites, my wife loves Reisling and I'll have a conundrum when available(though the new company does not produce the quality Caymus did).
    Playing live . . . thanks alot Bin Laden.
    I'm not so much the conisour (sp), but your local grocery carries Bolla brand check it out, I especially recommend Valpolicello. It's delicious and cheep.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    A woman and a man are involved in a car accident on a snowy, cold Monday morning; it's a bad one. Both of their cars are totally demolished but amazingly neither of them is hurt. God works in Mysterious ways. After they crawl out of their cars, the man is yelling about women drivers. The woman says, "So, you're a man. That's interesting. I'm a woman. Wow, just look at our cars! There's nothing left, but we're unhurt. This must be a sign from God that we should be friends and live in peace for the rest of our days".

Flattered, the man replies, "Oh yes, I agree completely, this must be a sign from God!" But you're still at fault...women shouldn't be allowed to drive. The woman continues, "And look at this, here's another miracle. My car is completely demolished but this bottle of wine didn't break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune."

She hands the bottle to the man. The man nods his head in agreement, opens it and drinks half the bottle and then hands it back to the woman. The woman takes the bottle, puts the cap back on and hands it back to the man. The man asks, "Aren't you having any?"

The woman replies, "No. I think I'll just wait for the police...."

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Women are clever, evil bitches. Don't mess with them.