Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,256,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

2NL 6max Villain BB Ranges

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    116
    Location
    UP, Michigan

    Default 2NL 6max Villain BB Ranges

    A big leak in my PF steal attempt game, or more like when they call, is what BB's range is. I honestly have no clue. If they call a raise, they would definitely tighten up from their normal check, where any hand is a possibility. But a type-driven baseline would be awesomely beneficial to my current game. All help appreciated.

    A basic baseline for tight, Reg, and loose, or just generic middle-of-the-road guess, would get me started and I could adjust from there based on their stats.
  2. #2
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,833
    Location
    England
    This really isn't an easy question to answer. You need to be paying attention to how often people are defending their blinds, and what they're showing up with. You can make assumptions though, I mean if villain is showing up with J2s, you can assume all suited paint is in his range. Likewise, 22 means all pairs. A6o means all Ax. 45s means all suited connectors. 24s means all one gappers.

    Pay attention, make notes, and over time you'll get better at putting them on ranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    116
    Location
    UP, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This really isn't an easy question to answer. You need to be paying attention to how often people are defending their blinds, and what they're showing up with. You can make assumptions though, I mean if villain is showing up with J2s, you can assume all suited paint is in his range. Likewise, 22 means all pairs. A6o means all Ax. 45s means all suited connectors. 24s means all one gappers.

    Pay attention, make notes, and over time you'll get better at putting them on ranges.
    Thank you. Seems obvious enough, yet easy to overlook simplicity when taking notes.
  4. #4
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,938
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'd say the place to start is to examine your own BB ranges. What are they and why?

    Yes, plural.

    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 3x, and SB folds?
    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 2x, and SB folds?

    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 3x, and SB calls?
    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 2x, and SB calls?


    Obv. this is going to change if the open is from CO, then BTN folds. CO has a tighter range to steal than BTN, so your response is different.


    EDIT: This is rather advanced concept for beginners. It's the most complicated PRE ranges to assemble, because you're last to act, so all kinds of things can have happened by the time it's your action, but you'll almost always be OOP in the rest of the hand. It complicates things that you get a 1BB discount on the bet and a 1BB increase in the pot when you're in the BB. That makes it correct to play a wider range with more speculative hands than otherwise.

    In short, it's good to be always kinda paying attention to your thoughts on how to play BB, but it's probably not the most important part of your game to focus your study on. You win monies where you're making better decisions than your opponents. They're probably really bad at BB ranges, too, so you're probably not losing money there. There will be plenty to win from there eventually, but probably bigger leaks to plug for a beginner.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 06-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.
  5. #5
    Fold BB vs steal is a good stat to have on your HUD, or one of the HUD pop-ups. Also worth considering how often they check fold flops too before assessing the profitability.
  6. #6
    BigSlickBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    241
    Location
    USA (New York)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Fold BB vs steal is a good stat to have on your HUD, or one of the HUD pop-ups. Also worth considering how often they check fold flops too before assessing the profitability.
    I was watching a RedChip video on floats last night and decided to add a stat for fold flop after preflop raiser. Definitely seems like a necessary piece of information.
    Shove dick in their mouth, then I'm out...

    - Snoop Do-double-g, bitch.
  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    116
    Location
    UP, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I'd say the place to start is to examine your own BB ranges. What are they and why?

    Yes, plural.

    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 3x, and SB folds?
    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 2x, and SB folds?

    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 3x, and SB calls?
    What's your range to continue in BB when BTN opens to 2x, and SB calls?


    Obv. this is going to change if the open is from CO, then BTN folds. CO has a tighter range to steal than BTN, so your response is different.


    EDIT: This is rather advanced concept for beginners. It's the most complicated PRE ranges to assemble, because you're last to act, so all kinds of things can have happened by the time it's your action, but you'll almost always be OOP in the rest of the hand. It complicates things that you get a 1BB discount on the bet and a 1BB increase in the pot when you're in the BB. That makes it correct to play a wider range with more speculative hands than otherwise.

    In short, it's good to be always kinda paying attention to your thoughts on how to play BB, but it's probably not the most important part of your game to focus your study on. You win monies where you're making better decisions than your opponents. They're probably really bad at BB ranges, too, so you're probably not losing money there. There will be plenty to win from there eventually, but probably bigger leaks to plug for a beginner.
    Sounds reasonable, but I always like at least one hand in the cookie jar.
  8. #8
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,938
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcash2 View Post
    Sounds reasonable, but I always like at least one hand in the cookie jar.
    Huh?
  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    116
    Location
    UP, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Huh?
    I likely used it wrong. I like to learn a little of everything, even if it is two-steps ahead of where I stand. Jack of all trades, but master of none, comes to mind. Hopefully I used that adage right.
  10. #10
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,938
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    It's a typical mindset for a beginner, which is why I structured the post as I did.

    First I told you where to start, but at the end (last paragraph) I tried to give you some perspective on why it's not a primary focus for you at this stage of your learning.

    It's a good thing to keep on the back burner right now, but it's not a subject where you're going to eek out a huge edge and add a bunch of BBs to your /100's. The raw complexity of variation in BB ranges is a lot to take in. There's no need to rush it, and more profitable things to focus on for now.

    Most of your earning comes from playing monster hands from any position or any hands from the BTN. This is true at all levels of poker. Focus on these areas primarily, and let the other stuff steep in your subconscious as you gather more and more skills in the high EV areas of poker.
  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    116
    Location
    UP, Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    It's a typical mindset for a beginner, which is why I structured the post as I did.

    First I told you where to start, but at the end (last paragraph) I tried to give you some perspective on why it's not a primary focus for you at this stage of your learning.

    It's a good thing to keep on the back burner right now, but it's not a subject where you're going to eek out a huge edge and add a bunch of BBs to your /100's. The raw complexity of variation in BB ranges is a lot to take in. There's no need to rush it, and more profitable things to focus on for now.

    Most of your earning comes from playing monster hands from any position or any hands from the BTN. This is true at all levels of poker. Focus on these areas primarily, and let the other stuff steep in your subconscious as you gather more and more skills in the high EV areas of poker.
    Agreed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •