Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

I'm an English Teacher in South Korea AMA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm an English Teacher in South Korea AMA

I'm bored. Maybe you are too. Let's do this.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    are you rooming with ong?
    My god. Here he goes again.

He moved to South Korea and since then has done nothing but flaunt dragon shit like it's standard.
    ...dragon shit? rly?
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Why does everyone think you're an asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    Why does everyone think you're an asshole?
    Not everyone thinks I'm an asshole. It's only really those that know me that think I'm an asshole.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    How many dogs have you eaten this week?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    How many dogs have you eaten this week?
    None. On that note, I wouldn't be totally opposed to trying dog. The opportunity just hasn't presented itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacks View Post
    My god. Here he goes again.

He moved to South Korea and since then has done nothing but flaunt dragon shit like it's standard.

i laffed.

How you teach the english, if you dont know the korean?
    Ok, so now I understand the weird ass bc faggot thread. Dragon shit's cool.

Boog, Tanya says Hi.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    i laffed.

How you teach the english, if you dont know the korean?
    This question really only applies to complete English noobs, i.e. three-year olds (yup, they start learning English that early). Small children are truly sponges and learn quickly. I taught one group of noob four-year olds and started with basics like "My name is...," "I (don't) like...," "I have..." These sentences can generally be explained non-verbally. As they continue to learn English and expand their vocabulary, teaching more complex things becomes easier.

Also, they have ~2 hours of English per day one of which is with a native English speaker. In the other hour, the Korean Teacher (who speaks English) probably explains things they don't understand with some English (though their class are SUPPOSED to be 100% English).
    I know this is Japanese, but since all Asian people are exactly the same, how true is the shit bow? Is a bow a bow or is a shallow bow really a shit bow?
    How would you describe speaking korean?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by BooG690 View Post
    This question really only applies to complete English noobs, i.e. three-year olds (yup, they start learning English that early). Small children are truly sponges and learn quickly. I taught one group of noob four-year olds and started with basics like "My name is...," "I (don't) like...," "I have..." These sentences can generally be explained non-verbally. As they continue to learn English and expand their vocabulary, teaching more complex things becomes easier.

Also, they have ~2 hours of English per day one of which is with a native English speaker. In the other hour, the Korean Teacher (who speaks English) probably explains things they don't understand with some English (though their class are SUPPOSED to be 100% English).
    Wait, do you teach the Koreans English or do you teach English in english?

edit I've cracked the code. How much Korean do you speak?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Did you ever see the clown chics tits? Why do most if not all asians have very full looking breasts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Did you ever see the clown chics tits? Why do most if not all asians have very full looking breasts?
    I can think of half a dozen asians I see daily who don't have very full looking breasts.
    I didn't say big, just full. They always seem to have a lot of bottom boob
    I didn't say big either
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I know this is Japanese, but since all Asian people are exactly the same, how true is the shit bow? Is a bow a bow or is a shallow bow really a shit bow?
    You're right in saying that's a Japanese thing. The Japs have a really deep bow. In Korea, it's just a deeper head-nod to most people. Think of it as a substitution for the wave hello. However, people higher on the social scale (the oldest in your family, your boss, the oldest in your work place) get a deeper bow though it's still not the full kung-fu-like bow.

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    How would you describe speaking korean?
    Speaking Korean is pretty difficult. The sentences are structured: Subject + Object + Verb (SOV). So it's like, "I beer want" instead of "I want beer." That fucks with my SVO head. Also, there are two number systems where one is used for counting things while the other is used for things like bus numbers, money, etc. Hard to remember which is which but it usually doesn't matter since Koreans will understand. Lastly, you have to know who you're talking to. You can't speak to someone higher than you on the social ladder like you would to someone equal to or lower than you. There are actually two different systems for approaching the two parties.

Wait, do you teach the Koreans English or do you teach English in english?
    I teach Korean children English in English.

edit I've cracked the code. How much Korean do you speak?
    I speak enough Korean to get around, ask for directions, order beer/food, and have a noob conversation (where are you from, what's your name?, etc.). I can't have a normal conversation. I made an attempt to learn Korean when I first got here, got frustrated and quit, and am now learning again because boredom.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I never saw clown chicks tits. I did see her in her bra though.

I don't know why many Asians don't have full-looking breasts. Koreans are huge on plastic surgery though and that's one of the major fixes they get. They obviously get a LOT more attention from foreigners when they have fuller breasts.
    Speaking Korean is pretty difficult. The sentences are structured: Subject + Object + Verb (SOV). So it's like, "I beer want" instead of "I want beer." That fucks with my SVO head. Also, there are two number systems where one is used for counting things while the other is used for things like bus numbers, money, etc. Hard to remember which is which but it usually doesn't matter since Koreans will understand. Lastly, you have to know who you're talking to. You can't speak to someone higher than you on the social ladder like you would to someone equal to or lower than you. There are actually two different systems for approaching the two parties.\
    Someone pointed out that one of the sick things about western culture is the leaders say hi just like the rest of us.

How hard is it to sound out korean words? Has anyone been able to describe your accent to you?
    Someone pointed out that one of the sick things about western culture is the leaders say hi just like the rest of us.

How hard is it to sound out korean words? Has anyone been able to describe your accent to you?
    Reading Korean is extremely easy once you learn the alphabet as the language is phonetic (unlike English where we have silent letters, ie subtle). It's sometimes hard to understand when Koreans speak to each other since they don't follow the rules I'm currently learning (they speak informally whereas people usually start learning Korean formally as to not offend anyone). Also, Koreans generally skip consonants in some words when the consonant blends are harder to pronounce. Since I am a visual learner and base my speech on how a word looks (I have to see a word in order to understand how it's pronounced), this messes me up.

Nobody has described my accent but they do comment on the fact that native English speakers always pronounce the Rs (which is something I teach when trying to have a kid win a speech contest by trying to get them to speak more "natively"). For example, the Korean word for "computer" is "cum-pyoo-tuh" (yup, they take some of our words and Korean-ize them). Another example, when I teach the word "bear," Korean children always say it as "be-yuh" (notice they make it a two-syllable word). That's something I have to correct 100% of the time I teach the word 'bear.'

Also, the final Rs on English words usually come out of their mouths as an L (which we all know). This is due to the fact that the ᄅ letter in Hangul is an 'L' sound at the beginning of syllables and an 'R' sound at the end of syllables. I had to teach a ten-year old how to say "powerful" so she can own her speech contest (she kept saying "powerfur," of course).

Also, I understand I totally went on a tangent there.
    Last edited by BooG690; 09-15-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    underboob is best boob
    What's the legal banging age in S Korea?
    Do the girls have nice school uniforms like they do in Japan?
    Can I go to jail for smoking weed and banging 16-y/o schoolgirls?
    ongies gonna ong
    how many hookers have you banged boog?
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What's the legal banging age in S Korea?
    Do the girls have nice school uniforms like they do in Japan?
    Can I go to jail for smoking weed and banging 16-y/o schoolgirls?
    The legal banging age in S. Korea is 13, I believe.

The girls wear nice school uniforms but not the cool skirts they rock in Japan. However, they do wear sneakers with their school uniforms which, I don't know, makes it pretty hott.

Weed is very hard to find in Korea. You can get in a LOT of trouble for smoking weed here due to their extremely harsh drug policy (harsh as in jail time). However, you can bang all the sixteen year-olds you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    how many hookers have you banged boog?
    Didn't we have this discussion on Skype?
    Why does S Korea have such harsh anti drug laws?
    how are korean women in bed? if not experienced then what are others saying?

favorite korean dish?

do you feel that your experiences in korea are helping you reach a sense/stage of self fulfillment in your life?
    tell us more about the 5 DOLLA CRAPS
    Why does S Korea have such harsh anti drug laws?
    I have no idea. Most Koreans I ask get all "OMGDRUGSARESOSOBAD" when I ask them about it. They almost have a "How can you NOT have super harsh drug laws?" way of thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    how are korean women in bed?

favorite korean dish?

do you feel that your experiences in korea are helping you reach a sense/stage of self fulfillment in your life?
    They make a lot of high-pitched noises as if they're being raped. It's weird but a nice change of pace from Western women sex noises.

I can't choose one specific dish. I love Korean barbecue places (you probably have one in Toronto). Basically, they ship you some raw meat, you cook it yourself on a grill in front of you, and everybody noshes on delicious meat with great side dishes. It's a great experience and makes eating at a restaurant a lot more social since everyone is literally eating from the same plate (grill).

It makes me happy knowing I'm doing exactly what I want. I can confidently say that less than 50% of my friends are doing what they want to do with their life. They're worried about their careers, significant others, what their parents will think, etc. I've always wanted to travel and experience life somewhere else in the world (especially Asia since it's so different). It's given me a more global way of thinking too. I'm happy where I'm at right now. I won't be happy if I'm not doing something better than this when I'm 30 (a lot of English teachers still do this when they're 30 since it's a pretty easy lifestyle).
    tell us more about the 5 DOLLA CRAPS
    I'm a Craps addict. I was really drunk and Mark was with me. I like getting others addicted to Craps as well. Craps can snowball easily and end up costing a lot with so many bets I want to place. The $5 Craps table I found was allowing 5X odds which is standard on the bigger tables. What happened at the Craps table that night is still blurry but I'm pretty sure I lost $200 that Craps session.
    Last edited by BooG690; 09-15-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    5 DOLLA CRAPS is my favorite kiwimark story barring his rehab "let's make it three"
    how much dragon shit do you own, and is it true that dragons are the jedis of large reptilian mythological creatures?
    5 DOLLA CRAPS is my favorite kiwimark story barring his rehab "let's make it three"
    I place all the fault on what happened to Mark that fateful Rehab afternoon on Gabe. Gabe made a pretty strong case for that triple vodka and lemonade or whatever the fuck he ordered.
    NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, will come close to being a god damn Jedi, okay? Don't EVEN COMPARE THAT SHIT.

Boog, how tall are the girls there? Do they shave? Give good head? Are they bi? Average tit size? Are they scared of you, usually? Do you feel like a giant sometimes? Why the fuck are there so many god damn dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    Boog, how tall are the girls there? Do they shave? Give good head? Are they bi? Average tit size? Are they scared of you, usually? Do you feel like a giant sometimes? Why the fuck are there so many god damn dragons?
    The girls are generally about 5'4" or 5'5". Sadly, I'm that tall as well so no, I don't feel like a giant. Asians are hairless except for their pubic area which they don't shave. They give OK head. I've never been able to talk an Asian woman into even making out with another chick. That question seems to be VERY ridiculous to them. They don't like tan skin here since only peasants that work on the farm are tanned-skin which means the Koreans who aren't open to foreigners probably look down on me even more. Most are very, very friendly though. And why doesn't Western culture have MORE dragons?
    ...Welp, S Koreans women no longer are attractive to me, as they don't shave their cunt. They can fuck off, now. Not making out with another girl? Yeah, they can totally fuck off.
    Are you now a fan of Kpop?
    Trimmed cunts > semi-bushy cunts > shaved cunts > out-of-control cunts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    Are you now a fan of Kpop?
    I love Gangnam Style. That's my shit when I go out at night. As for Kpop, I don't like the music without the music video. Here's why (the middle video is my favorite and has some English in it. The last video has the nommiest chicks dressed in short basketball jerseys and starts with English):

***WARNING: CATCHY AS FUCK***

I'm not a big fan of Korean boy bands since their music videos are nothing like this. One video WAS filmed in Brooklyn though which makes me homesick.
    Last edited by BooG690; 09-15-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    Trimmed cunts > semi-bushy cunts > shaved cunts > out-of-control cunts

The fuck is wrong with your BRAIN?!

Shaved > trimmed, anything else is fucking vomit inducing.
    How long do you plan on staying in korea?

How is the cost of living?

What are korean women most attracted to?

Is there anything I should be aware of when I go apply for a travel visa?

Oh yeah, regarding korean BBQ places: they are amazing. I haven't been to one in awhile but Toronto does have them and the dining experience is awesome.
    Last edited by Micro2Macro; 09-15-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    I've never been able to talk an Asian woman into even making out with another chick.
    Really? Even when you're the only other option?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    How long do you plan on staying in korea?

How is the cost of living?

What are korean women most attracted to?

Is there anything I should be aware of when I go apply for a travel visa?

Oh yeah, regarding korean BBQ places: they are amazing. I haven't been to one in awhile but Toronto does have them and the dining experience is awesome.
    I don't know exactly how long. At least another year though I'll be going back home in December as a "vacation" so to speak.

It's relatively cheap to live in Korea (though not when compared to other places like Thailand or Vietnam). I pay about 250K won per month for internet+electrical+gas+TV+phone+water bottle service. My employer pays for my apartment but I'm sure this shack of a studio runs about 600K per month. A meal at a Korean BBQ spot usually only runs about 20K won per person for a ton of food, beer, and local liquor (soju). A movie ticket costs 8K won, a haircut is about 8-10K won, and a quick meal runs about 5K won. If there's something specific you want to know the cost of, feel free to ask. (For a quick conversion into USD, just take off the K and know it's a little less than that number. For example, the quick meal is a little less than $5).

Korean women are most attracted to money, looks, and intelligence, in that order. When buying Korean women gifts or taking them to a restaurant, it doesn't matter what/where it is as long as it's expensive. That's a huge turnoff when looking to get involved with a Korean girl. Obviously, there a few gems out there that aren't like that. You can usually find those at and around artsy universities (art students are always the coolest people). I hear Japanese girls are awesome, know how to treat and aren't as high maintenance.

I have a different visa than the one you would get. I have one for an English teacher which required a Bachelor's degree (which I'm sure traveler wouldn't need), a FBI background check, and a medical test when I got here. I don't know if a regular traveler would need the latter two but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did. It seems Korea likes to keep things pretty homogeneous.
    I know other people who are wankers and couldn't actually find something meaningful to do with their life, so they went to Korea to teach English.

Are you one of those people?
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    I know other people who are wankers and couldn't actually find something meaningful to do with their life, so they went to Korea to teach English.

Are you one of those people?
    Quite possibly. I don't think I want to invest myself in anything before I see the world.
    u still going to Yeongam, Oct 14?
    don't want no tutti-frutti, no lollipop
    What are your thoughts on the working hours there of professional men? Is it as bad as I heard, that they work 12 hours + then are forced/choose to socialize with their coworkers by drinking nearly every night?
    underboob is best boob
    I beg to differ!

Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    Cunts?

neatly trimmed > bushy but not wild > cuntstubble > shaven > out of control

I don't get the love for shaven thatches, I like proof of puberty. But there's gotta be some tidiness there.
    ongies gonna ong
    I like my cunts blue, like the waffle.
    I like proof of puberty
    Check ID.
    Cunts?

neatly trimmed > bushy but not wild > cuntstubble > shaven > out of control

I don't get the love for shaven thatches, I like proof of puberty. But there's gotta be some tidiness there.
    If this is the only way you know how to check age, you got some issues.
    If I see a hint of bush I am shutting it down. I don't mind a little whatever they want above the line, but I need a clean work surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by !Luck View Post
    What are your thoughts on the working hours there of professional men? Is it as bad as I heard, that they work 12 hours + then are forced/choose to socialize with their coworkers by drinking nearly every night?
    What you've heard is true. They do work 12+ hours per day and almost each day, their bosses ask to go "for a drink." You can't say no to your boss due to him being all high on the social ladder and stuff. Also, Koreans don't stop at one drink. They don't stop at all until someone throws their drunk ass on the taxi or they pass out on the street (a lot of public displays of drunkenness here). All this leads to the highest suicide rate in the world.

I don't know what to think of it. On one hand, it's sad they work so hard and commit so much suicide. On the other hand, they did a HELLUVA job turning their country around in approximately twenty years.
    Had any galbi yet?
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Tanya's mad cuz you didn't say hi back.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Had any galbi yet?
    Love galbi. More people need to know about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    Tanya's mad cuz you didn't say hi back.
    <3 Tanya. Sorry, I noticed I didn't say hi and then felt it was too late. What if I send you guys a couple of bottles of local Korean liquor?
    Yep. Too late. J/K Trade you for some fried oreos.

My favorite dish at Korean restaurants is bibim neng myung, do you like it?

Can you comment on the materialism/obsession with wealth et al. that "Gangnam Style" speaks to?
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by baudib View Post
    Can you comment on the materialism/obsession with wealth et al. that "Gangnam Style" speaks to?
    I was like "wtf is that"? A quick goog/yout later, I can safely say that Gangnam Style is fawesome!

Even though that question was not mine to answer
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 09-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    What percentage of the people there speak English?
    Quote Originally Posted by baudib View Post
    My favorite dish at Korean restaurants is bibim neng myung, do you like it?

I'm assuming you mean the mixed noodles with chili sauce on it. Delicious.

Gangnam style takes jabs at the materialism that is rampant in Gangnam. It's actually rampant all over Seoul. Ryan asked me what women in Korea like. The first thing they look for is money. Koreans are extremely superficial people who do what it takes to look their best and put on their best face. It's actually a big thing if you cause a Korean to 'lose face' (basically, lose rep) amongst their peers. I find it ridiculous but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What percentage of the people there speak English?
    It's easier to answer this if you divide Koreans into two groups: 30 & older and the rest. The 30 & older crowd don't speak much English unless they travel for work. If they travel for work, they usually speak Chinese, English, and Korean. They sometimes speak Japanese.

90% of the younger group usually speaks SOME English though it's sometimes shit. I'd say about 35% of the younger group works hard enough on their English to be able to get through a basic conversation while 20% of the younger group can probably have complex conversations at a moderate pace.
    The way they serve it in K-town is with cold fruit and meat and hard-boiled egg, it's very spicy and delish.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    What's the maximum number of times its acceptable to wear a pair of socks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    What's the maximum number of times its acceptable to wear a pair of socks?
    Once and then it needs to be washed. Jeans, shirts, shorts, etc. are a totally different story.
    Shirts and one and done for me, but I agree with the rest.
    Shit, still have not called boost.

BooG: You are my most worthwhile follow on instagram. Not a question, but I thought you should know.

I'll think up a question for another time.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    BooG: You are my most worthwhile follow on instagram. Not a question, but I thought you should know.
    You must have a thing for cute Korean children.

My Instagram is BooG690 in case anyone cares.
    You must have a thing for cute Korean children.
    Well searching #koreanchildren certainly isn't getting me anywhere, so yes, you've come in handy.
    Are you going to start a blog about teaching korean kids english and call it chinglish? I used to read a blog about an english teacher in Seoul (circa 2003) and enjoyed it, would like to read more.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    I always hear of people that go to Korea to teach English without a work permit. What made you decide to do it legally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!