Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Pre-flop Play Groups 3 to 4

Default Pre-flop Play Groups 3 to 4

"For these Group 3 hands, I look to raise pre-flop with the first three hands (ATs, KJs, AQ), from any position"

"I will play Group 4 hands from any position, but look to raise only with AJ or KQ"

Why not raise 99 and 88? With any pocket pair (other than the monsters) you're either flopping for unders or a set (and often get a great pot if you hit it since a set is hard to read) or raising for a 1 on 1 matchup. 99 and 88 is strong enough to do the later with a modest raise. Buying out the blinds + small bets is a pretty good take with 99 or 88. If you're re-raised consider how likely they have you dominated with a better pair and consider folding.

Against another hand with 2 overcards (say AKo, but any two cards greater than your pair will suffice), most likely it's a matter if they make their overcard and you don't get a set. 32.3% chance of them getting an overcard on the flop with 2 overs. 50% chance of them getting an overcard on any community card. Assuming they have 2 overs... However, if you have 2+ callers the number of overcards increases and hence you're more dependent on getting a set, full house, strait or a flop+ with only unders at slimer odds.

"For these Group 3 hands, I look to raise pre-flop with the first three hands (ATs, KJs, AQ), from any position"

"I will play Group 4 hands from any position, but look to raise only with AJ or KQ"

Why not raise 99 and 88? With any pocket pair (other than the monsters) you're either flopping for unders or a set (and often get a great pot if you hit it since a set is hard to read) or raising for a 1 on 1 matchup. 99 and 88 is strong enough to do the later with a modest raise. Buying out the blinds + small bets is a pretty good take with 99 or 88. If you're re-raised consider how likely they have you dominated with a better pair and consider folding.

Against another hand with 2 overcards (say AKo, but any two cards greater than your pair will suffice), most likely it's a matter if they make their overcard and you don't get a set. 32.3% chance of them getting an overcard on the flop with 2 overs. 50% chance of them getting an overcard on any community card. Assuming they have 2 overs... However, if you have 2+ callers the number of overcards increases and hence you're more dependent on getting a set, full house, strait or a flop+ with only unders at slimer odds.

Default raising w/ 99 or 88

You make a good point, maybe I will add raises to 99 and 88. I have found those hands difficult to play.

I usually try to limp in with those hands and hope for flopping unders or the set, as you mention. However, if I don't, it's easy to get away from the hand.

If I raise pre-flop, it would probably have to be a substantial raise to get a 1 on 1 matchup (In no limit, I can raise 8X the BB and still get multiple callers.)

So, the problem for me is two-fold - if I do decide to raise, the raise would need to be substantial enough to decrease the playing field. However, I am not willing to invest that much with these two particular hands.

The other problem is if I do get called on a decent preflop raise, my opponent could have a higher pocket pair.

Maybe I'll try small raises, see how that works out.

You make a good point, maybe I will add raises to 99 and 88. I have found those hands difficult to play.

I usually try to limp in with those hands and hope for flopping unders or the set, as you mention. However, if I don't, it's easy to get away from the hand.

If I raise pre-flop, it would probably have to be a substantial raise to get a 1 on 1 matchup (In no limit, I can raise 8X the BB and still get multiple callers.)

So, the problem for me is two-fold - if I do decide to raise, the raise would need to be substantial enough to decrease the playing field. However, I am not willing to invest that much with these two particular hands.

The other problem is if I do get called on a decent preflop raise, my opponent could have a higher pocket pair.

Default Re: raising w/ 99 or 88

Quote Originally Posted by ttanaka

I usually try to limp in with those hands and hope for flopping unders or the set, as you mention. However, if I don't, it's easy to get away from the hand..

Yeah, maybe it's more of a situtational thing. I sat down at a table last night and got TT twice in a row my first time around. Both times I raised it to $3 pre-flop from an early/mid position. Both times I got muliple callers. Both times the flop sucked and I cut my losses. Although, it quickly taught me just what kind of table I was working with and I walked away with over $50 on a $25 buy-in.

Doubtful. AA, KK and QQ will reraise you. JJ might as well. That just leaves TT and 99 that would call your raise.

Yeah, maybe it's a situation thing. Late position, no one has opened and 0-2 players between you and the blinds might be more likely to get a single caller. Much can be written and researched on playing pocket pairs as their own distinct beast. Hence, I disagree with the CMU folks on 33 and 22 being rags (although I've seen players raise them early to mid position which is a really bad idea.) Situationally and on the cheap they are playable hands, since you're forcing your opponent to make their hand.

I usually try to limp in with those hands and hope for flopping unders or the set, as you mention. However, if I don't, it's easy to get away from the hand..

Yeah, maybe it's more of a situtational thing. I sat down at a table last night and got TT twice in a row my first time around. Both times I raised it to $3 pre-flop from an early/mid position. Both times I got muliple callers. Both times the flop sucked and I cut my losses. Although, it quickly taught me just what kind of table I was working with and I walked away with over $50 on a $25 buy-in.

Doubtful. AA, KK and QQ will reraise you. JJ might as well. That just leaves TT and 99 that would call your raise.

Yeah, maybe it's a situation thing. Late position, no one has opened and 0-2 players between you and the blinds might be more likely to get a single caller. Much can be written and researched on playing pocket pairs as their own distinct beast. Hence, I disagree with the CMU folks on 33 and 22 being rags (although I've seen players raise them early to mid position which is a really bad idea.) Situationally and on the cheap they are playable hands, since you're forcing your opponent to make their hand.

Default Pocket Pairs

Definitely 99 and 88 are in that grey area for me. I actually have raised pre-flop w/ 99 in the past (not 88 though).

I play all pocket pairs -- 22 and 33 are not rags!! I hope to limp in and hit the set or better (11.8% chance of doing that on the flop).

If not, I usually just them go to any big bet.

The implied odds absolutely justify playing any pocket pair in any position (but not against raises) - this is one of the key differences in my strategy between limit and no limit.

I may try raising it up with 99 on a weak table, but I think 88 I'll still look to limp in.

Default Pocket Pairs

Definitely 99 and 88 are in that grey area for me. I actually have raised pre-flop w/ 99 in the past (not 88 though).

I play all pocket pairs -- 22 and 33 are not rags!! I hope to limp in and hit the set or better (11.8% chance of doing that on the flop).

The implied odds absolutely justify playing any pocket pair in any position (but not against raises) - this is one of the key differences in my strategy between limit and no limit.

I may try raising it up with 99 on a weak table, but I think 88 I'll still look to limp in.

Default Pocket Pairs

Default Pocket Pairs

Default Pocket Pairs

Default Pocket Pairs