Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Hey everyone, back and ready to go...

Default Hey everyone, back and ready to go...

Whats up guys???

I'm happy to say I'm back(apparently cops don't like when you sell a couple xanax to a friend turned CI. So, i owed them eleven months in county jail.)

Anyway I'm so excited to hit the tables. I'm depositing on ACR tomorrow. where I will be starting at the bottom of the barrel (2nl). I like after a year away it will be best to do this. I need the practice, need to put the hands in. Need to incorporate all the advice and strategy needed to win.

If anyone has any advice on starting over i would greatly appreciate it. There are a couple of things i'm concerned about. I'll make a list of these. Thanks guys

1. i don't wanna flood myself with too much, and since I'm already privy to a lot of theory and strategy. What should i be working on to start with?
    2. I was thinking of going HUDless to begin with. so I have to establish reads w/out stats. I don't wanna become super dependent on HUD right from the gate. I'll obviously be using tracking software for study. So is HUDless good idea to start?
    3.short term goals?
    4. any suggested reading, or series of vids i should take on?

I'll be posting hands a ton. If anyone can think of anything else let me know please...

Thanks Guys!!!
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Maybe play a different game for a day or two each week: stud, draw, H/L, etc.

Each game puts weight on different elements of poker, and has generally fewer pitfalls to avoid than NLHE (which has fewer pitfalls than Omaha).

I learned a lot about position and keeping sharp table awareness from playing 7-stud H/L. It's not for everyone, I grant, but I even appreciate the triple draw games like badugi. It's still about putting villains on ranges and odds / outs, but the focus is shifted a bit.

Playing similar games sharpens your insights into both.
    if you're going hudless why not try ignition as anonymous tables reduces the help the hud will give your opponents.
    [QUOTE=WeldPhaser;2271300]Whats up guys???

I'm happy to say I'm back(apparently cops don't like when you sell a couple xanax to a friend turned CI. So, i owed them eleven months in county jail.)
    QUOTE]

Woah, this needs more discussion. Why are you selling a friend Xanax? I get that you would give a friend some Xanax to help them out short-term, but not sell it. Also don't get your criminal justice system if you get locked up for just doing that if it's literally a couple of pills.

For poker, bouncing back into 2nl will get you going and remind you about not bluffing fish, not calling down light, etc. Also watch some vids on YouTube - Doug Polk's channel is decent for strat and fairly amusing, plus Alec Torrelli makes good stuff and Gripsed always used to be decent.

Once you get beyond that, Matt Janda's book is almost the only book you'll ever need again on holdem. Plus you can look at downloading the free trial of Snowie.
    [QUOTE=The Bean Counter;2271373]
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldPhaser View Post
    Whats up guys???

QUOTE]

Woah, this needs more discussion. Why are you selling a friend Xanax? I get that you would give a friend some Xanax to help them out short-term, but not sell it. Also don't get your criminal justice system if you get locked up for just doing that if it's literally a couple of pills.

For poker, bouncing back into 2nl will get you going and remind you about not bluffing fish, not calling down light, etc. Also watch some vids on YouTube - Doug Polk's channel is decent for strat and fairly amusing, plus Alec Torrelli makes good stuff and Gripsed always used to be decent.

Once you get beyond that, Matt Janda's book is almost the only book you'll ever need again on holdem. Plus you can look at downloading the free trial of Snowie.
    Is poker not solved yet?
    [QUOTE=The Bean Counter;2271373]
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldPhaser View Post
    Whats up guys???

QUOTE]

there really isnt much more to explain, and yes your right i would have given my friend some, but he called me and asked me if i could get him some stronger pain killers. I said no because I am currently on a suboxone maintenance program. I used to have a substance abuse problem, and still do I suppose, but I'm trying to do the right thing.

Anyway, after i said I couldn't get him the pain killers he asked if my wife still had xanax. since she doesnt take them to often i told him she wanted $2 a piece for them. he said he would take 50 and it was a set-up. so i got 11-23-1/2 months for the sale. there is the whole story
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Also don't get your criminal justice system if you get locked up for just doing that if it's literally a couple of pills.
    The Federal DEA classifies xanax as a schedule 4 drug. Meaning its not too harmful, but you still cant have it unless its prescribed. The various States all play with it a little different. In Arizona, possessing it would have just gotten Weld probation and a class 4 felony. Selling it, however, carries prison (not jail) time.
    Difference between prison and jail?

I thought jail was an arbitrary term for a police holding cell, and a prison a building full of those.

As such, I assumed "jail time" and "prison time" to be effectively synonymous, since no one considers being held in a police station jail for a few hours to be "doing jail time."
    Jail is the little house. Prison is the big house.
    Jail is usually for short-term and prison for long-term sentence.