Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Help im not as good as i thought!

Default Help im not as good as i thought!

hi, i have been playing llive and on line a lot over the last three years...the problem is my bankroll doesnt seem to grow...infact over the last six months it has been steadily shrinking. I want to get back to the basics. I was told by a friend about this site. How can I use this site to improve my play?
    Step 1: Study
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1

Welcome to FTR. Good luck.
    I would say start out by reading literally all of the stickies in this forum (beginner's circle). Then work through the "Spoony Exercises" - or at least read through them if you''re not too sure how to proceed - and go from there.

Also I'd have to recommend the NLHE Theory & Practice threads... And, of course, reading the book itself if you haven't already.
    Shrinking Bankroll is no doubt Leaks in your Game.

Others can definitely guide you in the right direction better then I.

Post some Hand Histories and take the advice of the members that have massive post counts and good advice. Post counts aren't the rule but you will know who is who when they reply and you can't go wrong listening to the Mods advice/suggestions.

1st please read the stickies on "Beginners Circle".

Read Read Read and Good Luck.
    1) Try to find a game you can beat
    2) If you can't find a game then read every sticky in BC and get nlhe T+P
    3) Find more books if you still can't find a game you can beat
    4) Work your ass of grinding that game until your bankroll is padded for shots at higher levels
    5) Post hand histories/questions you have after grinding that game.
    what stakes are you playing at the moment?
    this

Read and reread these articles.Make study time as important as play time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penneywize View Post
    I would say start out by reading literally all of the stickies in this forum (beginner's circle).
    also go to the relevant part of the forum for the game you play (e.g. fr/short handed/omaha/whatever) and read the digest and stickies there.

get in irc if you have any questions. Also, if you don't already have tracking software then find out about it (Holdem Manager and Poker Tracker 3 both have free trials).

you're here, you know the rules of poker, if you absorb the info here and ask good questions you shouldn't ever have to deposit money into online poker again.
    [QUOTE=spoonitnow;1952427]Step 1: Study

Quality answer, made me smile.

Studying the game is vital to make progress. Do a google on texas poker strategy or something similar and you will be surprised at the number of sites with well written articles, just as an example. Read books and reread them.

I have a routine of studying (almost daily) soon after I have got out of bed. And I have a routine of playing (again almost daily) at a later time of day where I have found the game to be soft. Now although you may not have the same luxury of finding a soft time zone you should still be able to find a buy in level where you should be able to have a decent roi eg I would suggest $5 sng on FT - the $2 really is an idiot level where players have no concept of the game.

As said above build yourself a decent number of buy ins, then when you feel comfortable at the buy in you are playing start your session at that level. If you cash (preferrably if you win) then step up to the next buy in level. If you cash at the higher level repeat the exercise. If you don't cash step down again and try the exercise again in your next session. (You can even try several games at the higher level before stepping down if you have created enough buyins to stand the variance).

But part of your routine MUST be to apply yourself to studying the game in addition to playing the game.
    [QUOTE=3 pairs should be a hand;1952924]
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Step 1: Study

Quality answer, made me smile.

Studying the game is vital to make progress. Do a google on texas poker strategy or something similar and you will be surprised at the number of sites with well written articles, just as an example. Read books and reread them.

I have a routine of studying (almost daily) soon after I have got out of bed. And I have a routine of playing (again almost daily) at a later time of day where I have found the game to be soft. Now although you may not have the same luxury of finding a soft time zone you should still be able to find a buy in level where you should be able to have a decent roi eg I would suggest $5 sng on FT - the $2 really is an idiot level where players have no concept of the game.

As said above build yourself a decent number of buy ins, then when you feel comfortable at the buy in you are playing start your session at that level. If you cash (preferrably if you win) then step up to the next buy in level. If you cash at the higher level repeat the exercise. If you don't cash step down again and try the exercise again in your next session. (You can even try several games at the higher level before stepping down if you have created enough buyins to stand the variance).

But part of your routine MUST be to apply yourself to studying the game in addition to playing the game.
    Funny, when I started and i googled that stuff i just kept getting the same, POSITION IS KEY, FLUSH DRAWS ARE WORTH LESS ON PAIRED BOARDS, EVERYONE AT THIS LEVEL SUCKS AT POKER SO IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN, etc. can you seriously get consistent well written articles day after day with the google search engine?
    No I don't think you can get well written articles day after day but there are a plethora of good articles if you hone your search - bookmark the sites where you feel you are getting good info from your initial visit and then return sporadically to see if there are updates.

Study should be from a combination really - online, magazines (with strategy sections/articles on HH) and books eg Moshman.

Once you have a solid foundation from those three then come back here and post questions you have from what you have read. There are many many brilliant minds on this forum and this forum is DEFINITELY the best source for real time up-to-date advice - I certainly haven't found a bettter source (2+2 perhaps?? If ur on FT then their forum may also be worth a look, just like Q6o [joke] ).

For instance what Moshman posits is sometimes now out-of-date and further doesn't really account for the differences/nuances to the game as you play different levels of buyin. Eg he suggest when there is a HBL followed by a smooth (or 2nd limp) that you should shove (ie go all-in), not too sure if that play is +ev anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imthenewfish View Post
    can you seriously get consistent well written articles day after day with the google search engine?
    I originally found this site using Google, searching for articles on hold'em strategy! Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightGizmo View Post
    I originally found this site using Google, searching for articles on hold'em strategy! Seriously.
    i found this site after google search to answer my question "what is a fish in poker terms?" cos i had been abused so often in table chat for being a fish but had no idea what was meant by it.
    Yes studying the game is very important. try some poker videos online, training softwares or even books like Polished Poker. You should create a study routine, it will really help.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness101 View Post
    Yes studying the game is very important. try some poker videos online, training softwares or even books like Polished Poker. You should create a study routine, it will really help.
    I've closed this thread. Bumping five year old threads isn't the way to contribute here. You should check out the free NLHE Foundations Course and contribute that way while learning a lot about poker at the same time.