Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Happy New Year!

Default Happy New Year!

What's good?
    What's new?

Any big plans?

I'm trying to pull together a trip to Dubai in March. My college roommate is working there until April and has invited me and the lady to see him. He's promised all we'll have to pay for is the plane tickets, so how can I pass that up?

No tickets are purchased, yet... but I've applied for my passport, which is the first step.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    I've heard Dubai is nice if you don't think too much about it.

I've met a couple of people who've done contract work in Dubai they all say it's really nice and it pays well.

My new year's resolution for 2020 is not to die in a wildfire.
    Last edited by oskar; 01-03-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    When my son was on deployment in the Navy they had a stop in Dubai and he absolutely loved it.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.
    I've given up smoking (cigarettes) and have a job interview next week. If I get the job, I'll need to get myself a moped asap.

My New Year's Resolution is to not speak in Urdu.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Happy new decade folks!

New decade resolution: progress and improvement.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Happy new decade folks!

New decade resolution: progress and improvement.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Holy fuck balls Ong applied for a job!

Did you get it?
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Holy fuck balls Ong applied for a job!

Did you get it?
    No. But I tried goddamit.

How the fuck are you Dan?
    ongies gonna ong
    Where the fuck has my post gone?
    You deleted it, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by rong
    Well done for trying! That's an improvement already.

I've never been better! Company is really starting to take off, although I'm working long hours to make it happen. I'm so close to making lots of money, but to get there I have to deal with lots of filthy rich clients, and seeing how the other half live is kinda disgusting, yet I can't help but get a guiltily buzz from having a little taste.

But life has been pretty good really.

Quiet on here these days.
    Perks of being a mod means I can read deleted posts.

Glad life is good for you. I hope your disgust at how the other half live keeps your feet grounded when you become the other half!

I currently volunteer for Oxfam, so I'm not completely useless these days. Still a broke stoner though.
    ongies gonna ong

My current hometown during the recent floods. That castle is around 700 years older than USA.
    ongies gonna ong
    My Mother's town...

And what it normally looks like...

Floods are great. I know it's hugely stressful for those directly affected, but it's better than drought. I'm glad we have so much rain.
    ongies gonna ong
    Thanks.

Good for you mate. Volunteering is great, prob good for your mental health and self esteem too.

I'll never become one of them. Very few get that rich from actually working and I have literally zero chance of making it there. Nearly all of them have family money which they pay people to grow for them whilst they spend their time on vanity projects and expensive hobbies which they might lie to themelselves about and call a job, although some don't even bother.

And anyone who says that the money doesn't buy happiness either doesn't have enough, is chronically depressed or just simply lying.
    Thanks.

Good for you mate. Volunteering is great, prob good for your mental health and self esteem too.

I'll never become one of them. Very few get that rich from actually working and I have literally zero chance of making it there. Nearly all of them have family money which they pay people to grow for them whilst they spend their time on vanity projects and expensive hobbies which they might lie to themelselves about and call a job, although some don't even bother.

And anyone who says that the money doesn't buy happiness either doesn't have enough, is chronically depressed or just simply lying.
    Volunteering is definitely good for mental health. I went through a rough patch a couple of years back and it's done me the world of good to be doing something productive, even if it's just one day a week.

Money would definitely buy me happiness. It can also buy a shit load of drugs and tons of fake friends, so it's a double edged sword for sure, but I reckon I'm old enough to spend it wisely on weed, holidays, a boat and a nice house.
    ongies gonna ong
    And a beautiful Japanese gold digger.
    ongies gonna ong
    You give it a try, right.
    And yeah it's super quiet here these days. There's me, mojo, poop, oskar, boost and occasionally jack left. Keith sometimes pops by, and there's a new guy in the small stakes talking poker, but it's pretty dead and has been for some time now. Apparently we're due an upgrade, maybe that will bring the masses back.
    ongies gonna ong
    I mostly argue with poop about Brexit. I voted to leave. Does that upset you?
    ongies gonna ong
    No, you're poor, have no real opportunities, and are too young to have experienced just how bad it can be. I don't blame you for thinking a change might make things better, can't make things much worse, and might stick it to those doing better.

I think it's sad that society has left you and those like you behind. But I think you're misguided and will be one of those likely to suffer the most.
    Bless, I'm too young. Thank you. I think we're also both too young to remember a real Labour government, so I could argue the same about anyone who voted for Corbyn. Blari and Brown were certainly not real Labour.

Serious question though, how can I suffer as a result of Brexit? Economically, I'm as low hanging fruit as it gets in this country. The only way I can be worse off is if I'm homeless and have no benefits. Worst case scenario is I have to give up smoking, I smoke half my disposable income. Best case scenario is I might get a job that was previously occupied by a European.

Society never left me behind. I left society behind. I withdrew from the workforce willingly. I was sick of giving up so much of my time to do something I hated, it made me depressed. I'd rather be poor and happy than well off and unhappy. That was a choice I made. I might be looking for a job now, but I won't take just any job. I'm not applying for Tesco jobs. I want a job that I will enjoy, such as helping to run a charity shop.

I voted to leave because of sovereignty, which some people think is a dirty word. Those same people think I should be ashamed of my national identity. But it's ok for the Scottish to be proud of being Scottish, and to want to run their own affairs without the interference of others. There's a lot of xenophobia directed at the English, which is plain to see when people refer to the English as xenophobic. The irony of branding an entire nation as xenophobic is stunning.

I'm glad we've left the EU. Now all we need is a competent government. I expect a very long wait.
    ongies gonna ong
    Bless, I'm too young. Thank you. I think we're also both too young to remember a real Labour government, so I could argue the same about anyone who voted for Corbyn. Blari and Brown were certainly not real Labour.

Serious question though, how can I suffer as a result of Brexit? Economically, I'm as low hanging fruit as it gets in this country. The only way I can be worse off is if I'm homeless and have no benefits. Worst case scenario is I have to give up smoking, I smoke half my disposable income. Best case scenario is I might get a job that was previously occupied by a European.

Society never left me behind. I left society behind. I withdrew from the workforce willingly. I was sick of giving up so much of my time to do something I hated, it made me depressed. I'd rather be poor and happy than well off and unhappy. That was a choice I made. I might be looking for a job now, but I won't take just any job. I'm not applying for Tesco jobs. I want a job that I will enjoy, such as helping to run a charity shop.

I voted to leave because of sovereignty, which some people think is a dirty word. Those same people think I should be ashamed of my national identity. But it's ok for the Scottish to be proud of being Scottish, and to want to run their own affairs without the interference of others. There's a lot of xenophobia directed at the English, which is plain to see when people refer to the English as xenophobic. The irony of branding an entire nation as xenophobic is stunning.

I'm glad we've left the EU. Now all we need is a competent government. I expect a very long wait.
    We’re both too young to remember any real hardship. Why do you think Eastern Europeans come here fore work? Even the poorest among us live like kings relative to say 80 years ago, and we all live much more comfortable lives than many hard working eastern Europeans or, say Indians etc. We have no real idea how bad it can get.

Your comment on you leaving society behind is exactly the same thing as it leaving you behind, the point is the divergence. Due to circumstance you’ve found yourself in a position where your life is better when you aren’t a productive member of society, and you’re a reasonably intelligent guy. I’m sure with a different path through life you could have found a high paying job that you enjoyed and found stimulating and rewarding, and likewise with a left turn here and a right turn there, I could easily find myself bumming around with no purpose, no direction, little income, spending my time getting drunk and high – Jesus! I did for a long time. It wasn’t hard work and ability that got me to the mediocre level I’ve reached, although they played a part, but it was mostly dumb luck.

As for the concept of sovereignty and national pride, I have no idea what they really mean. What exactly am I supposed to be proud of? Why should I share a sense of pride in the accomplishments of an individual or group simply because they happened to be born on this island as opposed to a hundred miles East? It make’s no sense to me at all. I think it’s mostly a tool used by the power hungry to divide and rule. But that’s no real criticism aimed at those that feel it, I’m just as susceptible to other forms of manipulation as those are to this form.

As for how you can be worse off than you are now, I refer you back to my opening paragraph. We have no real idea how bad things can be because we’ve never experienced it. We may have read about it in a book, or seen a movie or documentary, but that’s not the same thing as living it.

Someone needs to do the low level manual jobs such as fruit picking. It’s very hard for a UK based individual, with our cost of living and standards we require, to have a year long income come from those low paying seasonal jobs, where as an economic migrant can come over for a period of time, earn what is to them a relatively good wage, and then return home and live off that income, or stay here and live with a much lower standard of living than most of us would find acceptable. If we remove that pool of labour, either the fruit doesn’t get picked (reduced supply) or we pay higher wages to locals to do the job (higher costs) both of which lead to a more expensive product in the shops. So your tiny income doesn’t stretch as far.

We will likely experience an increase in production costs due to the removal of barrier free trade. Again, this will lead to a more expensive product in the shops. So your tiny income doesn’t stretch as far.

To attract inward external investment now that we don’t have the European market as part of our sales pitch, we need to make adjustments in other ways, which will likely be lower corporate taxes (either directly or indirectly) and/or relaxed employment regulation. One reduces tax revenue which pays for your benefits, and the other has a negative impact on workers rights. Both of those have the potential to impact you, as when the money dries up, it isn’t the rich who will feel the pinch and you can bet your ass we won’t see an increase on unemployment benefits off the back of it in spite of the inflation we will likely experience, and if you find yourself forced to work you can expect worse conditions.

I see very little benefit in leaving the EU. I’ve heard plenty of arguments and was really keen to understand why people voted that way, but my conclusion is that it’s a combination of the following:

• Failure to appreciate how good we actually have it and feeling left behind with a void where opportunity once stood
    • Being easily manipulated

I’ve yet to see a single argument that doesn’t eventually fall into that group.

As for your comment that you might get a job previously done by a European, you won't. Any of the well paying decent jobs won't take you as you either aren't qualified, comeptant or capable of getting through an interview process with what must be a very poor CV and what must look like a lazy attitude. And you won't accept the shit jobs that the unskilled Europeans are willing to take as they're too much hard work and don't pay you enough. It baffles my mind that people think a supply of cheap labour is a bad thing for us.
    Why do you think Eastern Europeans come here fore work?
    Funnily enough, my best mate used to work with a Polish guy who lived through communism and he simply cannot understand why anyone would vote for Corbyn.

I’m sure with a different path through life you could have found a high paying job that you enjoyed and found stimulating and rewarding...
    My teachers at school would be amazed at how unproductive my life has been. I was top of the class in maths, and excellent at English and science. I'm in no doubt I'm more intelligent than many high achievers. But would a successful career have brought me happiness? I'm not sure, much of that comes down to character. I've always been a bit different to most people, I've never responded well to authority.

As for the concept of sovereignty and national pride, I have no idea what they really mean. What exactly am I supposed to be proud of?
    Sovereignty is a simple concept. It's simply about running your own affairs. The EU is undemocratic, we do not have a say who leads them. We only get to vote for representatives. It's like having an election where you vote for a representative of Cornwall, but that person has absolutely no effect on who leads the UK. That isn't democracy, that's a sham.

As for national pride, I'm not particularly proud to be English, but I'm far from ashamed of it. It's not like it's a choice I made. I don't see why anyone should be ashamed of where they come from. But I am English, that is my identity whether I like it or not.

Why should I share a sense of pride in the accomplishments of an individual or group simply because they happened to be born on this island as opposed to a hundred miles East? It make’s no sense to me at all.
    I agree, but at the same time there's no reason to feel shame for the shitty things my ancestors did.

Someone needs to do the low level manual jobs such as fruit picking. It’s very hard for a UK based individual, with our cost of living and standards we require, to have a year long income come from those low paying seasonal jobs
    Why would it be harder for me to do a seasonal job at minimum wage than to be simply unemployed all year? If I worked 35 hours a week as a fruit picker, I'm equally as well off as a shelf stacker at Tesco. Minimum wage is a relative good income compared to what I currently get.

If we remove that pool of labour, either the fruit doesn’t get picked (reduced supply) or we pay higher wages to locals to do the job
    I disagree strongly. I would pick fruit for minimum wage. If that's an increase in what the Europeans were paid, well then it means they were paid less than minimum wage and our low prices for fruit are reliant on cheap foreign labour, which should be a source of shame.

We will likely experience an increase in production costs due to the removal of barrier free trade. Again, this will lead to a more expensive product in the shops. So your tiny income doesn’t stretch as far.
    We're free to agree trade deals with the world. If we don't, that's not because of Brexit, it's because of incompetence.

...which will likely be lower corporate taxes
    This could stimulate the economy and increase net tax revenue. It's a shame wuf isn't here these days because he'd have a few things to say about this.

...relaxed employment regulation
    This is probably a scare tactic, but from my pov, I don't even care. I'm quite happy to sit on my arse doing nothing if I am not treated with respect by my employer. The last ten years is proof of this. And I should point out that I lost faith in employment regulations while we were still a member of the EU. Workers were already treated like possessions of corporations.

and you can bet your ass we won’t see an increase on unemployment benefits off the back of it in spite of the inflation we will likely experience
    My benefits do increase yearly with inflation.

I’ve yet to see a single argument that doesn’t eventually fall into that group.
    Democracy? Sovereignty?

As for your comment that you might get a job previously done by a European, you won't.
    I check the job vacancies regularly, and one of my searches is "fruit picker ludlow". It's a bit early in the year, but I'm optimistic because I live in a rural area and there should be plenty of farmers looking for staff. I don't share your pessimism.
    ongies gonna ong
    Workers have a long history of being taken for granted and trated poorly, but that has improved over time and the EU has broadly been a positive driver of that. But it's ok to disagree with this and/or not see the value in protecting workers' rights.

We will not be in a better overall position on trade or tax revenue, regardless of what new trade deals we make, the rest of the world won't make up for the loss in trade casued by leaving the EU, and I don't think anyone sensible thinks it will, even the most optimistic think we have a net loss over any given short to medium term period. Long term nobody knows anything.

As for you stating you would take x job, the fact that you haven't says otherwise.You probably aren't fit enough to pick fruit all day long for 3 months, and it's likely you're too lazy.

The sovereinty/democracy issue is bullshit to me. There's going to be a bunch of people making decisions, we have limited power to impact this: see Iraq war, I don's see much difference between a bunch of people in Europe vs a bunch of People in Britain making decisions. None of them care what we really think. This falls exactly into the points I was making. I mean technically there's something there, but ultimately it's bullshit.

Your benefits may increase now, but it's not just the benefits you personally receive I'm referring to. It's looking at those who are net recipients of tax vs those who are net contributers. You are a net recipient. If we look at healthcare, scoial care, education family benefits, unemployment benefits, long term sick benefits etc the poorer you are, the more you need these government provided aspectts of life, and I think the poorer people will lose out first when the belt gets tightened, as has been the case with austerity over the last decade, and as will be the case with any economic woes caused by Brexit.

For me, as an employer and business owner, reduced workers rights benefit me (thoretically if not actually), lower taxes benefit me. And if you are wealthy enough you see a bigger benefit than the relativelyto the tiny benefit I will see. I still don't see any benefit for the average working class indivdual, or the underclass of the chronically unemployed. But hey, hang around where I spend my increased net of tax income and maybe some of it will trickle down to you.
    As for the concept of sovereignty and national pride, I have no idea what they really mean. What exactly am I supposed to be proud of? Why should I share a sense of pride in the accomplishments of an individual or group simply because they happened to be born on this island as opposed to a hundred miles East? It make’s no sense to me at all. I think it’s mostly a tool used by the power hungry to divide and rule. But that’s no real criticism aimed at those that feel it, I’m just as susceptible to other forms of manipulation as those are to this form.
    I mostly agree with these thoughts on nationalism.

When I read comments on the internet which decry America as some stereotype, I don't care in the slightest, because I know the truth of living in America is not that 1-dimensional stereotype. However, when I read comments on the internet by a foreigner who says positive things about America, I feel some warm tinglies inside.

Moreso for St Louis. If I watch some travel vlog about my city, and they rag on it, I don't care. But if they point out some of the positive things I relate to, then I'm actually pretty stoked to hear it. There's a psychological power there that is undeniable.

So on a deeper level, I don't understand the false camaraderie of nationalism, but on the other, I'm a stupid human who wants other people to say things I already think.

I mean... sovereignty is among the most important things for people to feel. Feeling in control of your own choices and not a victim to outside human coercion is such an incredibly big deal.
    America may not live up to its ideals of freedom, but having that ideal and sharing it as a cultural lie has probably contributed to the culture of innovation we have here.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    Workers have a long history of being taken for granted and trated poorly, but that has improved over time and the EU has broadly been a positive driver of that. But it's ok to disagree with this and/or not see the value in protecting workers' rights.
    I don't really disagree with this, but I still don't think workers are treated with enough respect. In some places they are, but not in the majority of low paid jobs of the type that I would get. And maybe it gets worse outside the EU... the fault for that lies with the current government. Another government can come along as protect workers' rights. We don't need to be in the EU to do this, we just need the people to vote for it. And if they don't, it's a regular democratic decision.

As for you stating you would take x job, the fact that you haven't says otherwise.
    We're talking about seasonal work here. It's February. I didn't do it last year because such jobs were quickly taken by mostly Polish workers. I do regularly check local job vacancies, and no such vacancies were ever advertised that I was aware of.

You probably aren't fit enough to pick fruit all day long for 3 months, and it's likely you're too lazy.
    I disappeared yesterday because I had to walk four miles into Ludlow to catch a train to Leomisnter then another half a mile to the jobcentre to fucking sign on, then go back. Nearly ten miles walking. I'm fit enough to pick fruit, and I'm not as lazy as I wish I was.

The sovereinty/democracy issue is bullshit to me. There's going to be a bunch of people making decisions, we have limited power to impact this: see Iraq war,
    We were in the EU when that happened. The reason it happens is because we're stupid enough to vote people like Blair into office. But that's a regular democratic decision. We don't need to be in the EU to have a decent foreign policy, and being in the EU doesn't mean we have a decent foreign policy.

Yes we had the sovereignty to go to war with Iraq without giving a fuck what anyone else thought, I'm not suggesting that the EU are completely dominant in terms of power. They're not. But they do have massive legislative influence, and it's increasing all the time. They control trade, and in turn the economy. An outside body should not be in control of a nation state's economy. That goes for the UK, Costa Rica, Cuba, Germany, every country in the world. It's fundamental to being a nation state.

I don's see much difference between a bunch of people in Europe vs a bunch of People in Britain making decisions.
    The regular ability to remove them from power. That's the difference.

This thing about being better off or worse off, that is in the power of the Tories.It doesn't matter if we're in the EU or not. The Tories now have a choice... carry on being Tories by shafting the poor for the benefit of the rich, or do good things to show we were right to leave the EU. I think they want to do the latter, but I question their competency.

For me, as an employer and business owner, reduced workers rights benefit me (thoretically if not actually), lower taxes benefit me.
    This isn't a problem for me, quite the opposite. Maybe your business expands and you employ me. If people like you are benefitting, then the economy is getting better isn't it?

Isn't this how reduced business tax can increase tax net revenue? By allowing business to expand faster. it potentially turns me from a net recipient to a tacpayer. I'm no economist, but that makes sense to me.
    ongies gonna ong