Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

AA faces raise on monotone flop - 10nl

Default AA faces raise on monotone flop - 10nl

Villain is 17/0 over 6 hands. Iso is a little small, should have been 50c being oop. My cbet is also a tad small, I like 70c better.

When villain min raises the flop here I'm unsure what the best line is. I have awesome equity with my overpair+nfd so I'm assuming 3b to like $3.50 with the aim of getting it in?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed)

MP ($10)
    CO ($11.96)
    Button ($8)
    SB ($10.76)
    Hero (BB) ($10.24)
    UTG ($10.14)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
    2 folds, CO calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) J, 10, 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.60, CO raises to $1.20, Hero ?
    Canada; the country all tucked away down there...
    I think you're correct on you assumptions. 66 is prob the only likely set and if he has 2pair you have outs.
    I say 3bet, maybe to $3-$3.50. That puts enough in so that you are all in by the river.
    Getting it all-in. Any way possible. Might just jam, so sets dont fold if turn comes clubs.
    On this board texture with your hand I'd cbet smaller, not larger, and 3-bet the flop to $4 trying to induce a shove.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    3bet the flop and get it in.
    bigger pre, calling flop is something you should at least consider before auto 3-betting
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    bigger pre, calling flop is something you should at least consider before auto 3-betting
    I like calling here better actually.

We have the nut flush draw. If we 3bet he folds all bluffs and never shoves air (large portion of his range). If we call we allow him to potentially bet if we check the turn to him on blanks and we can call again some of the time. Also, if we bink the nuts it's a good card for him to bluff his air on. I think that in the long run we actually stand to win more, bigger pots than by 3bet/calling vs a much stronger range.

*granted it's been a while since I played but that makes sense to me logically*
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    calling and 3bing small are both viable options

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by baudib View Post
    On this board texture with your hand I'd cbet smaller, not larger, and 3-bet the flop to $4 trying to induce a shove.
    Are you c-betting smaller to induce raises? My thinking was to bet larger to charge draws more, build a pot etc. Interested on hearing your reasoning behind this.

I tend towards more aggressive lines and so like the 3b/shove line in this spot, but I can definitely see how calling is a viable option. At these stakes however, people are so bad and spaz with all sorts so I like getting my monies in on this flop.
    Even most first-level thinkers tend to be wary on this flop texture and aren't going crazy if they make a 4-card flush with a 9c. Hands with a single club are nearly drawing dead. If you bomb this flop most people will assume you have a big club. If they have a red KQ it'll be hard for him to call.

This is especially true since this player is likely to be weak-tight rather than loose-passive. Having considered that, I like calling the flop better than 3-betting.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by baudib View Post
    Even most first-level thinkers tend to be wary on this flop texture and aren't going crazy if they make a 4-card flush with a 9c. Hands with a single club are nearly drawing dead. If you bomb this flop most people will assume you have a big club. If they have a red KQ it'll be hard for him to call.

This is especially true since this player is likely to be weak-tight rather than loose-passive. Having considered that, I like calling the flop better than 3-betting.
    Like your thought process, I think calling is prob. A better option than 3b flop, he probably has like tpwith a FD. So i would check call flop + turn and evaluate what action to take on river.