Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default seat change

I was in a live $1/$2 hold'em game at Stones yesterday where seat 8 busted for the second time and left. Seat 2 complained that he kept getting hands like ten-deuce and he asked for the seat. Some of the other players and I asked him if he was sure he wanted to move to a seat where people kept busting. I told him I'd rather fold ten-deuce type hands than bust.

Sure enough, seat 2 moved to seat 8 and got his aces cracked almost right away. It didn't take him long to bust 2 more times before leaving.

I'm not superstitious about seats but this was pretty interesting. Sometimes I do ask to change seats but it is for reasons other than luck. In other words, I'll change if the guy next to me has bad bo or if I can't see the table that well (sometimes I can't see well from seat 1 and/or seats 9/10).
    I've never requested a seat change in a live cash game, but have definitely seen my share of disgusting antics at a live poker table... mostly in tournaments.

One night at Caesars Las Vegas there was this older gentleman in a small buy-in freezeout who knocked out a player at my table and was really rude... going on and on about "that's how you play poker, son" and all that.

Strategy discussion during live cash games tilt me to no end... but that's all part of it. One live $2/$5 game I recall had a table full of so-called wizards who were criticizing everyone's play at the table... not fun.

In general if I'm not happy at a live cash game table I'll just get up rather than request a seat change. Requesting one like the guy in the situation you're outlining in your post is lol-worthy, but must've been a good game to play in profit-wise!
    game selection is really important in live cash IMO. I don't request to change seats often but there are some situations that just demand it.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    I had someone who reeked of BO next to me one time, I just got up and went to play Roulette lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MTCashman View Post
    I had someone who reeked of BO next to me one time, I just got up and went to play Roulette lol
    lol, one night we had a guy who explained his smell by saying his cat went pee on his shirt.
    If it was his cat, presumably he was at home,
    so why didn't he just change the shirt before going out?
    You should have called the guy for smelly BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist View Post
    If it was his cat, presumably he was at home,
    so why didn't he just change the shirt before going out?
    You should have called the guy for smelly BS.
    Yeah, we called him out - his story made no sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    lol, one night we had a guy who explained his smell by saying his cat went pee on his shirt.
    Lol now you are bringing me back to elementary school where there was a kid that smelled like that everyday!
    Yeah, dealing with a bad smell takes the fun right out of the game.
    If you can't smell the smelliest person at the table within the first few minutes, then it's you.

Actually I once had a problem with a guy at work, who thought I was a real health freak, because I always took the stairs.
    I physically could not travel in a lift with him because it was too over powering, I would physically choke.
    But it wasn't B.O. quite the opposite, it was excessive use of products.
    I don't know how he managed to breathe with the caustic cocktail of chemicals emanating from him.
    Your talking about a seat change, not a table change. I will move seats if one opens up next to a guy with the biggest stack. If they ask why i moved i tell them to get closer to the money. Lol i have moved multiple times at the same table. A known gamb00lr sits down and busts someone 2 seats to his left as soon as he tells the dealer hes not coming back, i say lockup that seat for me. I dont care about the seat when i first sat down or superstition etc. I will move to whatever seat gets me closer the left of my mark(s).