Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

$1/$2. T9s 3 ways in straddled pot.

Default $1/$2. T9s 3 ways in straddled pot.

So blinds are $1 and $2, we're 5 handed and there's a $4 straddle from HJ. I'm ~$300 deep with both BU and CO.

I'm in the bb with Th9h. CO calls $4. BU raises to $12. SB folds. Hero calls $10. HJ folds. CO calls $8.

3 way to the flop of Ts 8d 6s. (Pot is $40ish) Hero leads for $25, CO folds, BU raises to $50, hero?

So I think preflop is kind of meh given my shitty position, lack of pot odds/implied odds due to both the position and the straddled pot rendering us only 75 eff bbs deep. However, BU seems to suck at poker and I'm confident the limper is always calling and my hands gonna play pretty well vs shitty players. I don't like 3 betting as I've just 3 bet 2 hands ago, got called, c-bet, and given up then mucked to QQ on AJ7xx. Also people don't like folding to 3 bets live, esp short handed. Folding pre might be better idk.

On the flop, I feel like CO just isn't c betting this board very often with overcards/air and will limp or fold most hands pre that make a lower pair here. So his c betting range and also BU's leading range are gonna be comprised of hands that do really well vs me at least. Therefore, c/c seems kind of meh and I prefer just leading to A: protect my hand and take down the pot a decent amount and B: for value vs like 8x, 9x 7x 6x pair + sd, flush draws etc. I guess my plan was to b/f, but this is such a small weird raise, does b/f still seem best here: feel like our equity is meh if we continue, loads of turns are gonna be terrible and our position sucks. Peeling seems like a waste of $25.

Thoughts on pre and post please.
    Last edited by Carroters; 08-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    dont fold pre plz.

id probably lead for $18 but thats nit picking. I don't mind 3bing here I don't mind calling here. I would not fold.

3bing depends on your image though and its def a bluff I expect to work a fairly large amount of the time. Esp if villian is age 35+ but under 60. I've seen so many people just shake their heads just tell me how sick it is and fold their AA faceup to 3b's in spots like this.

?wut
    Is say this a raise or fold situation. if you raise you need to make it enough to leave room for him to fold AT here, his raise feels like AT or JJ trying to squeeze some value on the flop.
    Agree this is 3 bet or fold. Think calling is pretty horrible actually. It didn't cross my mind to bluff here, mainly because I see dumb ass morons stack off with overpairs regardless all the time. If he was old or a woman who wasn't an obv station whale I think 3 betting is good. Vs this Middle Eastern looking, shaved head guy though, it's likely not gonna work all that often imo, just based on the demographic I've seen so far in my live poker voyage.
    Any other reads on this guy?

I'd call and play some poker. I'd assume he'd make a larger raise if he had a real hand (98% of people at $1/$2 are scared shitless of frush draws hence "ZOMG let's blow everyone out of the pot with the nuts") so I suspect he'll check back a lot of turns.
    Last edited by baudib; 08-21-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    I just don't see him min bluff raising air in this sort of spot, it just seems so retarded when I lead on such a scary board 3 way and 1/2 live donks are usually fairly passive.

"playing poker" effectively will be pretty hard if villains range is doing well against us, we're oop, and there are only like 6 turn cards we have any idea what to do on. Even if he checks back the turn, which wont happen super often imo, we have to c/decide rivers readless. I just don't see how calling can be +EV here.
    Think it's a lot more likely this sort of line is "this board is scary for my AT/overpair, better find out where I'm at." way more often than it is "Ima bluff this guy lololol" and so that's why I find 3 betting mor attractive than calling if we continue.
    certainly dont think calling is horrible when you can rep like half the deck on the turn

?wut
    Maybe I don't bluff enough vs these guys, but it just makes me feel uneasy trying to make people fold overpairs etc. It's likely been drummed in via microstakes online, which this feels a bit like at times.