Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

$2NL 9Max too passive post-flop

Default $2NL 9Max too passive post-flop

Three hands from a session I played at $2NL 9max today where I wasn't sure if I played too passively post-flop.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

MP2 ($0.72)
    CO ($1.10)
    Button ($2)
    SB ($2.04)
    Hero (BB) ($3.87)
    UTG ($2.03)
    UTG+1 ($2.03)
    MP1 ($2.06)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, A
    3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.15) Q, 10, 7 (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.10, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.15 | Rake: $0.01

Results below:
    Spoiler:

MP2 didn't show
    Outcome: MP2 won $0.14

No reads on villain other than brought in for 40bb

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

UTG+1 ($0.79)
    MP1 ($1.13)
    MP2 ($2)
    CO ($2.03)
    Hero (Button) ($3.79)
    SB ($2.01)
    BB ($2.03)
    UTG ($2.06)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, 7
    3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.21) 6, 3, 6 (3 players)
    MP2 checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero folds, 1 fold

Total pot: $0.21 | Rake: $0.01

Results below:
    Spoiler:

CO didn't show
    Outcome: CO won $0.20

MP2 seemed like a reg with auto-top on 100bb buyin, CO brought in for 100bb but didn't have auto-top off on. No other reads.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP2 ($1.15)
    CO ($2)
    Button ($0.85)
    SB ($1.93)
    BB ($2.60)
    Hero (UTG) ($3.85)
    UTG+1 ($0.94)
    MP1 ($1.04)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, A
    Hero raises to $0.08, 5 folds, SB calls $0.07, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.18) 4, 7, 3 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.18) Q (2 players)
    SB bets $0.18, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.18 | Rake: $0.01

Results below:
    Spoiler:

SB didn't show
    Outcome: SB won $0.17

SB was a fish with 80bb buyin and liked to check min-raise seem below for notes
    Min bet turn on 258cccKs board
    Check minraised on J68dd board with A8d, checked blank turn and 1/2pot river when complete.
    Check minraised turn on 7KT7 board no showdown.
    Limped in CO
    Hands 1 and 2 look like you're throwing away equity.

Hand 1, you called BB with ATo. I'd do the same. You catch mid pair and x/f to a 2/3 pot C-bet.
    If you're going to play a hand that way, then I suggest fold pre.
    Villain has Qx in his range, but he also has Tx in there. You have his Tx hands dominated.
    Unless you have over 1,000 hands against this guy, and you've never seen him bet OTF with less than TP, then I think you're giving him too much credit to always have TP+, here.

Hand 2, you're 8-handed and 3-way.
    That flop whiffed any sensible preflop range for MP2 (HJ, here), so assume he folds behind, no matter what you do, and you'll be HU against CO OTT. Even still, CO has some 6's in his range, more 3's, and some overpairs. If he's NOT betting blindly to steal this pot, then you're basically chasing 2 outs. You called IP with 77's to set mine, and it didn't happen. W/o a read that CO is betting with air more often than not, I think you should lean toward a fold on this one. However, that 1/2 pot bet sets us a not terrible price to consider a raise to steal (1 and done), here. BUT, and I can't emphasize this enough, you need a read that this bet means weakness from this villain and that he is aware that he has a fold button.

Hand 3 looks fine, given flop.
    A C-bet on that flop is appropriate, given your pocket.
    A fold PRE is appropriate, 'cause lol AJo from UTG and not C-betting.
    If you're going for a TAG playstyle, then this is an insta-fold from UTG 8-handed.
    If you're going for LAG playstyle, then you gotta C-bet this flop with 100% of your opening range from UTG.

I hope you use a shorthand when you take your notes, 'cause you are spending too much time typing the notes if that's what you keep in game flow. You're the only one who needs those notes. Create a shorthand that makes sense to you and free up that mental energy for more poker.
    Thanks for the analysis and taking the time to reply

Hand 1 - agree was just nitty because he had such a short stack.
    Hand 2 - interesting I never even considered a raise here
    Hand 3 - yeah I understand what you are saying it was just he check min-raised so much didn't want that to happen.

Haha - yeap that is how I take notes! I was wondering how people take notes and play so many tables. I will develop a shorthand!!
    Prob with raising in hand 2 is that it's still technically 3-handed and the player who originally opened could think it's clever to slow play big pairs post flop. If you were to raise here, if you get any pressure from him, you gotta put him on a big pair.

If he's doing it "so often" then it definitely doesn't mean that he has a big hand, so he's just doing it 'cause you aren't prepared for it and it's working. So adjust your play. You don't play against his raises, you play against his ranges. If the raise does not indicate a range that beats you, then rejoice and get that dude shoveling his money in when he's behind more.