Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

79o vs. Wide Turn Shove

Default 79o vs. Wide Turn Shove

First off, quick shout out to the encouraging MadMojoMonkey and OngBonga for their excellent analysis of my previous Hand Post. Honestly, no joke, the Session after I read their analysis was actually the best I’ve ever had in terms of decision making and profit. Anyways, here is the Hand in question from a following Session:

FullFlush - $0.02 NL (Full Ring) - Holdem - 10 players

UTG: $1.12
    UTG+1: $0.73
    UTG+2: $2.07
    MP1: $0.56
    MP2: $3.25
    HIJACK: $2.53
    CUTOFF: $2.92
    BTN: $2.03
    SB: $1.82
    Hero (BB): $3.02

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 7c 9d

folds around to (UTG+1), UTG+1 calls $0.02, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 folds, HIJACK folds, CUTOFF folds, BTN folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.08, 4 players) 2s 5h 9c
    SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets $0.08, SB folds, Hero calls $0.08, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($0.24, 2 players) 4h
    Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.46 and is all-in, Hero ?

Notes that I had on Villain prior to this hand: Villain was very Loose Passive Pre-Flop (Limping ATC and never folding the hand to a subsequent Pre-Flop Open). On the Flop, Villain was Loose Aggressive, either leading or, when checked to, betting 2/3 – Pot with the entirety of his Range. On one occasion, earlier in the session, he had lost a big pot to me when I checked three streets to him on a K572J Board with QQ. He bet Pot on both Flop and Turn and checked the River showing down 89o.

With all of this in mind, my intention Post-Flop was to check call his bet on the Flop and possibly check call most Turns and Rivers. However, the Turn Shove gave me some pause for concern. Given Villains Range, and the majority of Draws that develop on the Turn, I believe a Turn call is still profitable. However, given Villains Bet-Sizing is my Range assignment too wide on the Turn? Should I consider Folding?
    why not check raise the flop against him ? you know that he pots with air but he can easily have over card(s) so why let him set a cheap price to try and outdraw you.Turn shove i probably call in this case since he's had that hand against you knowing that you called him down with a big pair and may be setting a price that you can't call to protect his air.
    I'm calling flop, I'm certainly not c/r'ing, he's just going to fold what we beat. He's more likely to bet air than call it, right? So call and let him spew.

When he shoves turn, I too would be a little concerned. This isn't the spew I was anticipating. I want him to bet the turn enough that he commits himself with worse pairs and has to call my shove. That's what I was planning when I called the flop. But he puts his stack in, and we're faced with a 0.46 call to win 0.70... not great pot odds. I probably call because he's so bad, but I'm not thrilled about it. Against anyone who is paying attention to what's going on, and adjusting their game accordingly, I would definitely be folding turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Against anyone who is paying attention to what's going on, and adjusting their game accordingly, I would definitely be folding turn.
    No. This isn't appropriate here, not at 2NL.

Villain bets pot OTF and OTT with a gutshot. He's not likely on a draw, here.
    Villain has shoved ~2x PSB.
    Hero needs ~66% equity to call

Hero has TP bad kicker.

Against any Villain against whom I don't have a solid read that they shove a 2x pot bet OTT with air, this is an easy fold.

What is Villain's range to shove 2x PSB OTT? If you can't beat 2/3 of it, then this is a fold.
    Villain potting two streets with a gutshout tells me he's mashing buttons. He can have literally any piece of it here and think "fuck it all in" because he has a puny stack. Just because he's bet over the pot, that doesn't imply he only has a big piece of it. He's overshoved for a pathetic amount in a limp pot. This guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing. This is a reluctant call for that reason, imo.
    ongies gonna ong
    Furthermore, I don't even care if I lose this pot, because he still only doubles up to a half stack and remains volatile and easy pickings. I almost see this as a free shot at him, because the next shot will be for twice as much.
    ongies gonna ong