Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Light 3 betting from a stack % point of view

Talking Light 3 betting from a stack % point of view

Lately i have been toying around with pre-flop stack % inputs when opening or light 3-betting in mtt's. It's actually a little experiment of mines, that all you guys probobly aready have a good handle on anyway? Basicly i have been working on using my adjusted ante along with (m) to keep tabs on my mtt progress during each stage of mtt's. Also i am in the works of really working on +chip ev shoves as well.

And one of the hardest for me, is getting away from my hand when someone shoves (who is pot commited) and not being able to fold 2nd best even though i think im ahead and not committed to call or shove! I actually read a nice article here about learning to pace yourselves in mtt's; And breaking them down into steps to make the final table. I really learned alot about my game after applying this method; And to be honest i really had no disipline up too this point! "Well i thought i had some but i didn't" LOL........

The questions i have are very general,but should help me as i continue to learn. My first queston?
    1. What % of my stack should i be willing to invest pre when light 3 betting. Please include min% and max%

2. What % of my stack when light 4 betting? min% max%

3. Min % when open raising? Max % when open raising?

please note**** We are not concerned with 3 or 4 bet jams! Only doing so with stacks that we can raise fold. So in these examples i would consider us to have stacks sizes that fall into this catergory!

Now i would like to get some info on the stacks that we are 3 betting or opening against, along with position and what % of thier stack we should be raising in order to apply enough pressure to aviod marginal calls. For example= Most players that i see open for 15-20% of their stack pre-flop, and fold to a 3 bet two times or more! I consider these players as weak and loose. For the most part it seems very spewy from what i have seen.
    Lastly i would like to know what % of the villans stack do you prefer to bet to apply max pressure pre flop. Just a general answer will do! For example i like to apply as much pressure as my stack allows me.

So if i have a 5000 chips stack and villan has 3500 in chips. Opening 11% of our stack to 595 pre is close to 17% of his stack; So villan will need to invest. At least 42% of his stack or more to 3 bet us to (2.5x)or1250 chips(min) Into our stack of 4405 chips behind.This equals 27.9%(min) of our chips to call his 3 bet leaving us with 3750 chips behind if we decided to call and not shove! This would give us 15% more to call preflop a total of 25% or 1845 of our chips total invested,before we even see a flop!

So obv in this example if we 4 bet jam preflop we are going to get called here nearly 70%(est.) of the time at best as the villan only has around 1750 in chips; And a pot of 2500 if we decide to call. And even more incentive if we 5 bet jam. So 595(my open)+1250(villans 2.5 3 bet)=1845+655(to call villans 3bet)=2500 post flop. This represents 147%+ of the villans stack when we flat call! and some how we decide to fold to his jam post of 1750! 3750-1750=2000 chips left when we call post flop and lose. 17%(villans stack) seems like a good number here to find a fold button if villans 3bets? And only costing us 11% to open/fold as calling would be very bad in this example 25%!
    Last edited by P0KerHoE69; 06-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    It depends on the opponent, on the tournament situation, whether or not there are antes, and probably on a few more things. On the other hand I don't see how it makes a very big difference whether it's an open, a 3-bet or a 4-bet.

As a very general rule I don't like raise-folding if the raise would be over 12%-15% of my stack or so.
    Thank you and noted sir! I had to type this up at work so i couldn't really get into stack sizes ect. just looking for a general answer as you have given here. Hope to get more replies!!!!!!