Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Player notes

Default Player notes

Been a while since we had a thread like this, and the discussion in another thread prompted my thoughts, so I thought I'd start a discussion on the types of notes that we make on our opps.

Below are the types of notes that I make:

- What sorts of hands they show down in big pots (the nuts? bottom pair? busted draws?)
    - What sort of hands they limp, in what situations and what they do when somebody raises behind is probably the #1 note that I make.
    - Whether they shove much looser or tighter than expected considering their position (eg. if I see them shoving A2s with 10x BB on a 7-handed table I'll feel much better about calling in the BB with my AJo). Similarly if they only shove big hands when they should be shoving ATC this is a useful read
    - What it means when they overbet the pot at any point - is this a bluff or is it a monster hand? Can make a big difference whether they do this on the flop or on the river
    - What it means when they bet smaller on each subsequent street (almost invariably a weak hand)
    - How tight/loose they call short/big stack pushes or if they fold when they're getting monster pot odds
    - How they play monster hands like flopped sets - do they lead? check/raise? check/call?
    - If they do stuff like shove the nuts or a busted draw on the river
    - Their Sharkscope stats and over how many games
    My note taking is pretty poor most of the time but when i do it properly i usually find i do well in that sng - kind of like paying more attention i guess.

Mine consist of betting patterns and whether people chase draws.

How aggressive they are around the bubble.
    Whether they defend the blind light etc.

I do the over bet note taking as well - this is so valuable as catching just one of his bluffs can add loads of chips to your stack.
    I look for the same things as you Taipan...

My favorite mark is:

"Silly Ass" ...meaning, maniac or complete donk....VERY useful in tight positions. especially in push/fold play when he limps or something.

"Gotta run well eventually."
    I usually note

-what hands they play,and in which position,and how strong they play it
    -at my 3.40 buyin on PS,so many donks around,i usually just write donks,or tight,nothing much
    -sometimes i note-the semi bluffs,going all in with a flush draw
    -and my favourite line would be ace-rags playa from EP and MP in the early game
    I just note what seems weird to me.. anything other than expected.. this mostly includes moves at the late game..
    Old post I made...I don't quite take notes like this anymore, but somewhat similar

http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...ed-t36000.html
    Notes I make:

- Donk/Good player
    - Tight/Loose
    - understands ICM/adjusts game as blinds rise
    - high blind limpers
    - calls shoves tight/loose
    - bluffer ( and is he good/bad )
    - good/bad position player
    - who defends their blinds and who folds to reraises ( pretty important )

Occasionally I'll note a betting pattern if I think it is super nonstandard but most of my notes are a couple words.
    can somebody go through their routine when taking these notes...to me that seems like to many notes to keep on a player(s)..esp if they are multi-tabling..I usually just make a mental note in the first 15 hands if they are tight and loose and once it get to 5-6 handed then I start to adjust and figure out their ranges and how often I can steal their blind...but thats about it...I do play the $5 SnG so maybe thats all i need...
    i try to be as specific as possible..I wont write stuff like tight or loose..more like Reshove CO w/78s at level 2..also I note people who have seen me make a rather spewy looking play at and play with care against them..having a crazy donk fish label on me brings about some very profitable situations