Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Butterfly Effect Director's Cut Ending *Spoiler Warning*

Default Butterfly Effect Director's Cut Ending *Spoiler Warning*

Was anyone else as disturbed as I was? I kinda thought it was a bit extreme. Maybe it's because I have a baby on the way. Just wonder what other opinions there are. Great Movie overall.

I really didn't think Ashton Kutcher could do a serious role. I was waiting for a joke the whole time or for him to turn to the camera and tell the movie watchers they just got punk'd.

If you (saw it/plan on seeing it) on DVD. Tell me your thoughts

Big Lick
    I think it had a good story. Great premise. However, once you got into the movie and understood what it was about, the ending would be a lot to live up to. The writer set himself up for dissapointment.

Just a quick idea, I may have done it different. Have the best part of the story (Ashton changing the past) as the ending. It's better as a big twist at the end. Show the movie from her prespective, she lives life, then it changed, lives more life, then it changes again. The dramatic ending is we find out that Ashton can change the present by changing the past. Huge success! There would need to be a lot of editing to the script to make this change. The story woul have to be almost totally different, but it would make for a very dramatic twist, and a ending you told your friends about.

As it was, it ended well. he fixed his mistakes... kinda. I can't think of a better ending for how the story was.

It makes good points. Sometimes your "woulda coulda shoulda"s are better left alone. Don't regret, deal.
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    But did you see the director's cut ending? Where he goes back to when he's in his mother's womb and strangles himself with his umbilical cord so he'll die and never be able to hurt anyone he loves?

That was messed up. I was like, "Are you kidding me?"

Then I watched the theatrical version of the ending and felt a little better.

Like I said. Maybe I'm a little more sensetive due to the fact that I have a wife who's 7 months pregnant.

Big Lick
    Quote Originally Posted by FyrFytr998
    But did you see the director's cut ending? Where he goes back to when he's in his mother's womb and strangles himself with his umbilical cord so he'll die and never be able to hurt anyone he loves?

That was messed up. I was like, "Are you kidding me?"

Then I watched the theatrical version of the ending and felt a little better.

Like I said. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive due to the fact that I have a wife who's 7 months pregnant.
    No, I didn't see the director's cut ending, I rented the DVD, but I must have missed that part.

Ewwww.

Thank goodness he could fix his mitake he made. He didn't deal, he fixed it. (see how that tied in to the whole moral of the movie I stated earlier?)

wait a second... He went back in time by reading his journal. Did he really have a journal of what he did, how he felt in the womb?
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    No. He remembered his mother telling him about how his birth was difficult and that his father had made a home movie of the birth.

So cut back to the very first sequence of him running from the security guards in the asylum. Where he hides under the desk and writes the note. Instead of him watching a movie from the party (Theatrical ending). You see the movie of his mom being bought to the hospital in labor. And after the butterfly effect, he awakens in his mother's womb, and proceeds to kill himself so he'll never be born. That is twisted as hell. So I guess he can change the past with or without the journals. Just as long as there was some sort of link to his past. He could tap into it's timeline.

Big Lick
    damn i've seen it and loved the film but I an't remmeber the end

Can someone remind me ?
    Poker is all about the long long long long long long long term . . .
    Barney's back . . . back again . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty
    damn i've seen it and loved the film but I an't remmeber the end

Can someone remind me ?
    The original end Ashton goes back to before all the crap happened and tells the girl, "I hate you and I never want to see you again for the rest of my life."

They never get into any crazy trouble and everyone's like is a little sadder, but no huge problems.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    i watched it buyt the ending i saw was when he kills himself, and the fortune teller said he had no lifeline, i never saw the other ending where he says he doesnt like her
    I just watches the director's cut, didn't watch the theatrical. But from the sounds of it its pretty much the same. In the director's cut it seems like his mother and father have another child, and are happy, so in the end, him killing himself, never led to his father going crazy(and ultimately dying), and caused the rest of his friends to be happy.

I think that if they would have just shown the girl's viewpoint and her past changing over and over, it would have been much harder to follow, viewers not understanding why this girl's life keeps on changing.
    "Why does this still seem like gambling to you!?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrind
    Just a quick idea, I may have done it different. Have the best part of the story (Ashton changing the past) as the ending. It's better as a big twist at the end. Show the movie from her prespective, she lives life, then it changed, lives more life, then it changes again. The dramatic ending is we find out that Ashton can change the present by changing the past. Huge success! There would need to be a lot of editing to the script to make this change. The story woul have to be almost totally different, but it would make for a very dramatic twist, and a ending you told your friends about.
    That sounds like it would have to be done sorta the same way as the movie Memento. That too was an awesome flick.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    cod3machin3
    -=insert witty, thought provoking comment here=-
    Hmmm.... It's interesting to see who saw what. I know the DVD I rented was double sided. On one side was the director's cut and on the other the theatrical version.

All I can say was that either way it was a good movie overall. Having a power like that would be great for poker!! No more bad beats.

Big Lick
    Quote Originally Posted by FyrFytr998
    All I can say was that either way it was a good movie overall. Having a power like that would be great for poker!! No more bad beats.
    Just look for the guy who constantly gets nose bleeds and stay away from his table.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    I agree with you that the directors cut ending was disturbing. My wife and I lost a baby almost two years ago and it was very disturbing for us to see. We weren't at all prepared for it. We watched it just before going to bed and we both had trouble sleeping. Had we not gone through that almost exact situation it probably wouldn't have disturbed us so much.

We did go back the next day and watch the theatrical version and thought it was a smart move not to have the director's version as the final product. I think a lot more people would have been upset with the alternate ending.

Overall, it was a very good movie. Just wished we had been forwarned about the director's cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by skynard
    I agree with you that the directors cut ending was disturbing. My wife and I lost a baby almost two years ago and it was very disturbing for us to see. We weren't at all prepared for it. We watched it just before going to bed and we both had trouble sleeping. Had we not gone through that almost exact situation it probably wouldn't have disturbed us so much.

We did go back the next day and watch the theatrical version and thought it was a smart move not to have the director's version as the final product. I think a lot more people would have been upset with the alternate ending.

Overall, it was a very good movie. Just wished we had been forwarned about the director's cut.

Reading this, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm pretty sure this very well may have been the reason it wasn't the final version for an ending. There is no way that ending tested well with audiences pre-release. So you have to at least commend the foresight for an alternate.

Big Lick
    Quote Originally Posted by davfagan
    In the director's cut it seems like his mother and father have another child, and are happy, so in the end, him killing himself, never led to his father going crazy(and ultimately dying), and caused the rest of his friends to be happy.
    Didn't his dad have the gift as well ? Didn't this make him go gaga in the first place?

All in all though I thought it was an awsome film (now that i can remember the ending )
    Poker is all about the long long long long long long long term . . .
    Barney's back . . . back again . . .