Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFull Ring NL Hold'em

50NL - Value raising KJ vs unknown

Default 50NL - Value raising KJ vs unknown

Villain is unknown but definitely not a reg. Has done a little bit of open limping

If we were to raise, would we raise turn or river? Or is it better to just call down here?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

UTG+1 ($63.35)
    MP1 ($43.90)
    MP2 ($52.90)
    Hero (CO) ($102.20)
    Button ($50)
    SB ($52.25)
    BB ($82)
    UTG ($60.20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, K
    2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero bets $2.25, 2 folds, BB calls $1.75, MP1 calls $1.75

Flop: ($7) K, 9, 5 (3 players)
    BB checks, MP1 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($14) 2 (2 players)
    MP1 bets $4, Hero calls $4

River: ($22) 5 (2 players)
    MP1 bets $4, Hero calls $4

Total pot: $30 | Rake: $1.50
    What about raising the flop ?
    As played i' m more inclined to raise river also beacuse i think he wouldn't bet only 4$ with a 5, but w/ 9 or small pp for sure
    I like raising turn to something like $11. I also like calling down.
    I find this situation hugely player dependent and need more of read to divert from the line you have taken. Limp/call followed by bet, net, bet is very often a set with a passive limper. But that said the bet sizes are small enough that you can call and discover all kinds of crap. I'd prob have raise/folded the flop and shut down to any action afterwards, expecting to take it down there or be way behind, and not expecting much worse than our hand to continue betting further streets to make calling worthwhile in terms of gaining value.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    I like raising turn to something like $11. I also like calling down.
    I don't like raising the turn. Board is not drawy at all and we still have enough showdown value to call down but pretty much turn our hand into a bluff if we raise. Raising here and him folding nets us the immediate bet and pot but its not likely we will get called/shoved over with worse where calling gives us a chance to win a future bet as well since their is a chance that he will bet or c/c a small bet with something worse.