Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

2NL: when to limp with pairs for set mining?

Default 2NL: when to limp with pairs for set mining?

When should i limp with pocket pairs for set mining? And how much should I call if someone raises? Presumably the looser /worse the player is and the more he is calling after the flop, more often i should call?

What are the conditions for not limping with small pocket pairs for set mining? I get it that more aggressive players are behind me less I should limp, but can someone whos a solid winner at 2NL tell me his specific conditions?!

Thanks
    I never do this. Other people do.

I see very little (to none at all) reason for limping at the micros. Is there money to be had in limping? Yes. Is it a lot? No, not compared to the other leaks that plague 2NL.

I'm fairly sure that sponitnow disagrees with me on this. He can probably give you the information you're looking for.

Be sure to look in to his free Beginners Guide to NLHE, here on FTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I never do this. Other people do.

I see very little (to none at all) reason for limping at the micros. Is there money to be had in limping? Yes. Is it a lot? No, not compared to the other leaks that plague 2NL.

I'm fairly sure that sponitnow disagrees with me on this. He can probably give you the information you're looking for.

Be sure to look in to his free Beginners Guide to NLHE, here on FTR.
    Agree w/ MMM, don't limp, especially if you're just starting out. Get used to open raising. Now are you playing full-ring, or 6-max? reason being you'll be playing much tighter in FR then 6 handed.

I play 6 handed and open fold 22-44 in most occasions, i just went over the data and opening 22-44 in ep just wasn't profitable
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    There was a time I'd have said never, but actually I think the micros is where we can sometimes limp to setmine, so long as we're reasonably competent post flop. Lots of people here aren't getting away from top pair, even if it's obvious to those who can hand read that they're up against a set. If we can see cheap flops, we're getting decent implied odds.

Factors that would have me considering limping pairs and weak suited hands...
    - generally loose/passive table
    - lots of limping and calling open raises
    - very little 3betting
    - fish with big stacks
    - chatty table (indicates less attention being paid when not in hand)
    - angry chat (indicates tilt)
    - people unable to get away from top pair, paying off when they should fold
    - people calling overbets with draws or average hands
    - solid reads on most of the table
    - players who can't hand read for shit
    - more shit I can't think of right now

Generally, I'm not open limping. But if enough of these factors fall into place, then why not? If loads of people are trying to see flops, even vs utg raises, and top pair is rarely getting away when beat, then limping 22 utg is probably better than folding. But it relies heavily on post flop competence, and solid reads on villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    There was a time I'd have said never, but actually I think the micros is where we can sometimes limp to setmine, so long as we're reasonably competent post flop. Lots of people here aren't getting away from top pair, even if it's obvious to those who can hand read that they're up against a set. If we can see cheap flops, we're getting decent implied odds.

Factors that would have me considering limping pairs and weak suited hands...
    - generally loose/passive table
    - lots of limping and calling open raises
    - very little 3betting
    - fish with big stacks
    - chatty table (indicates less attention being paid when not in hand)
    - angry chat (indicates tilt)
    - people unable to get away from top pair, paying off when they should fold
    - people calling overbets with draws or average hands
    - solid reads on most of the table
    - players who can't hand read for shit
    - more shit I can't think of right now

Generally, I'm not open limping. But if enough of these factors fall into place, then why not? If loads of people are trying to see flops, even vs utg raises, and top pair is rarely getting away when beat, then limping 22 utg is probably better than folding. But it relies heavily on post flop competence, and solid reads on villains.
    im partially in agreement with ong here, the one thing that sticks out is being competent post, which i def think you need to be , and at 2nlI'm just not sure without seeing some of your hands to make that call.

so post some of your hands man, especially if your have a database, find some low PP hands (22-55) you played and post them .. we'll tell ya how your doing post
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Game needs to be super-fishy with a bunch of money behind.

Otherwise I'm only making this play if I think I can steal the pot without a set a fair % of the time. In that case I really don't need much of a hand anyway and a small pair is plenty to get some hand value when plan A doesn't work.