Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Did I get pwned?

Default Did I get pwned?

First hand, no reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
    2 folds, MP1 calls, 4 folds, Hero raises, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K, A, 9 (3 players)
    Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K (3 players)
    Hero bets, BB raises, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
    TylerK: its just gambling if i want to worry about money i'll go to work lol
    I give this one up on the turn. You save yourself a bet. The board is probably the worst possible for QQ, so take your c-bet stab and then get the heck out of there.
    Discuss Plato, Aristotle and Aquinas at The Lyceum
    Agreed
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    if he doesn't fold the turn, you should
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchopdc
    Lets stop talking ABC poker and move on to D, E, and F.
    So are you guys saying check/fold the turn. or bet/fold?
    Check-fold. Next time, when you really have AK, the guy with deuces will call you all the way down, hoping to make quads.
    Discuss Plato, Aristotle and Aquinas at The Lyceum
    After they both call the flop, I check-fold the turn. If just one guy calls he could just be on a flush draw and I will fire again on a blank turn.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    I don't like the check/fold as much as I like the bet/fold. Many opponent will peel the flop and you have to be willing to put in that last bet on the turn and you might still be able to take down the pot.

It was a good fold on the turn, as when an opponent raises on a big street with more than one opponent in the pot, its usually not a bluff.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    I agree with Bet/fold.

If he's pulling a line on you, which I highly doubt, once he sees it work he'll try it again. Just make sure you hold the goods that time

So, bet/fold. If he flat calls, hollywood the river for a few seconds, check and pray he checks behind thinking you might be going for a c/r. If he bets, cry-call.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    If called on the turn, the river is a pretty easy check/fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    Even HU? I think you can get a few bluffs here enough that it would be worth a 9-1 shot.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by elipsesjeff
    Even HU? I think you can get a few bluffs here enough that it would be worth a 9-1 shot.
    Not in a 1/2 full game where players with Ax tend to check/call this river instead of betting for value.
    I agree, at 1/2 most players don't even know that raising the river with top pair is an option.
    As played I just can't see betting the turn. I mean one of the callers is bound to have an ace or a king. Are you hoping one had an ace and will fold thinking you have the king? Players at low limits are going to call down, trying to make tricky plays just isn't worth it.

If you are going to make a play at it I don't really like a straight bet. What is the point, merely to figure out that you're beat? What is going to call you that you're ahead of?

If you do want to make a play you can try to check-raise this flop then bet out on the turn. Obviously in this situation it wouldn't work, because a king came on the turn. But in general I think most people holding a king will fold when faced with a check raise and a turn bet from a preflop raiser. This again though assumes a rational player, which you can't assume at low limits.

It's a tough situation, but I think you are beat if you get called on that first bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbmrblah
    one of the callers is bound to have an ace or a king or a flush draw or a gutshot straight draw or a lower PP or a backdoor 2-pair draw
    FYP

Quote Originally Posted by dumbmrblah
    Players at low limits are going to call down, trying to make tricky plays just isn't worth it.
    This is true, and it's exactly the reason (and probably the only reason) to bet out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu
    I agree, at 1/2 most players don't even know that raising the river with top pair is an option.
    Are you trying to imply that it is ok to raise the river with less then a str8?
    Quote Originally Posted by littleogre
    ZOMG! I wouldn't raise a weak hand like a straight unless there weren't 3 cards of the same suit on the board because otherwise someone might have the flush!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleogre
    ZOMG! I wouldn't raise a weak hand like a straight unless there weren't 3 cards of the same suit on the board because otherwise someone might have the flush!
    rofl