Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

2nl K8s in sb, kinda weird villain line

Default 2nl K8s in sb, kinda weird villain line

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $0.80
    UTG: $2.04 (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 19.23, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
    CO: $2.00 (VPIP: 35.48, PFR: 25.81, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
    BTN: $1.97 (VPIP: 23.21, PFR: 8.93, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 57)
    Hero (SB): $2.42

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K 8

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18, 3 players) 5 J 2
    Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09, fold

Turn: ($0.36, 2 players) 6
    Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.36, 2 players) 4
    Hero bets $0.23, BTN raises to $0.54,

Pre: don't love call , but i did it

Flop:I don't see any reason to raise here, so flat I do.

Turn: This card doesn't improve mch but a flush so i c/ w possible thought of raising.

River:OK, I'm rusty and not sure what to do w/ this min-raise, i wanna bomb it, but what part of his range does this? 22,worst flush,KJ I doubt..

what do you guys think?
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Yeah, that call pre is pretty bad and it's good that you recognised it. Villain is a 23/8 and it's the 8 that we need to pay attention to. Fold > 3bet > call.

I actually think I like a c/r on this flop. Villain missed with some of his broadway raising hands (KQ, AQ, AK), a lot of his Ax and we might even get folds from 77-TT, so I think a c/r might do the job here plus we have plenty of outs if we're called.

Turn as played is fine, I would for sure be c/r this turn had villain bet.

River raise is certainly strange and it's almost never a bluff - it's just a question of working out what villain thinks he can raise for value. He might raise a 3, but I think he only ever has 33 and A3 here. The rest of his raising range is probably flushes, most of which likely beat us. It might sound nitty but I probably just call here (purely because it's against a river raise) and make a note of what villain has, especially if he tried to slow play the flush by checking the turn.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_1878 View Post
    Yeah, that call pre is pretty bad and it's good that you recognised it. Villain is a 23/8 and it's the 8 that we need to pay attention to. Fold > 3bet > call.

I actually think I like a c/r on this flop. Villain missed with some of his broadway raising hands (KQ, AQ, AK), a lot of his Ax and we might even get folds from 77-TT, so I think a c/r might do the job here plus we have plenty of outs if we're called.

Turn as played is fine, I would for sure be c/r this turn had villain bet.

River raise is certainly strange and it's almost never a bluff - it's just a question of working out what villain thinks he can raise for value. He might raise a 3, but I think he only ever has 33 and A3 here. The rest of his raising range is probably flushes, most of which likely beat us. It might sound nitty but I probably just call here (purely because it's against a river raise) and make a note of what villain has, especially if he tried to slow play the flush by checking the turn.
    Thanks Cob, good to here from you , its def been a while. but yeah pre call here i really don't like at all.

i thought about c/r the flop basically for the reasons you put down, and i was lining up a c/r for the turn.

he did trap me too btw, and the only reason im mentioning this is because i've noticed guys like this 20/8, 25/11,17/6 , really like to play trappy i guess it goes along with their passivity
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Yeah man, I'm just getting back into the grind myself, good to see you playing. Not sure how active these forums are at the moment though, they seem pretty dead.

The key thing to take from this hand is that you avoid all those problems simply by folding pre.
    I've been trying out a half pot donk on the flop in these spots against passive players (probably bad, but we have fold equity and it will likely make it cheaper to draw to my flush than if he bets himself, plus we build a pot for when we hit). I don't think a c/r will generate enough folds in this spot as I doubt this guy bets worse than Jx on the flop and we can't barrel him off those hands.

River is a nitty call vs the raise. It's likely he only has a handful of worse flushes in his range given his low PFR and he also probably doesn't have many 3x or sets in his range other than JJ.
    Last edited by The Bean Counter; 12-28-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Pre - Call or Fold.

Flop - I probably lead multiway, looks stronger too and I would lead with many Jx, A3,A4 as well.

Turn - Assuming I lead flop i would lead again. As played, I don't mind a check or lead.

River - Tempted to re-raise but I would just call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    As played I would definitely be shoving river. This is 2nl and I can see a straight taking this river line and calling it off, let alone a worse flush. We lose to very few combos and get paid off by tons at these stakes, so the times I'm beat I'm dismissing it as a cooler. I think we can treat our hand like the nuts here because villains have wider "nut" ranges than us. I'd probably be drooling with a Q flush too, but I'd be more careful once I'm weaker than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong