Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

hu sng regs?

Default hu sng regs?

Just curious who on ftr plays hu sngs as their main game? feel free to post itt if you do!
    This guy.
    N2IW and I played HU SNGs as our main game currently.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Cool interesting in your blog that you say you play a quite loose aggressive style, I find most of the regs at lower sngs (only up to $100 which i've played) - hardly know how to handle early aggression and overcompensate way too much. Nice blog btw!
    I play superturbo sngs as my main game
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbr2intheWorld View Post
    I play superturbo sngs as my main game
    Is this not a super variance game? I can only assume you're playing with knowledgeable opponents who have almost identical push/AIcalling ranges.

As far as the non-turbos, I feel like at the lower stakes it'd be pretty damn profitable as you could study push/AIcalling ranges and be nearly perfect against very exploitable opponents when stacks were shallow enough. Anyone here play the lower games?
    Quote Originally Posted by kmind View Post
    Is this not a super variance game? I can only assume you're playing with knowledgeable opponents who have almost identical push/AIcalling ranges.

As far as the non-turbos, I feel like at the lower stakes it'd be pretty damn profitable as you could study push/AIcalling ranges and be nearly perfect against very exploitable opponents when stacks were shallow enough. Anyone here play the lower games?
    They're beatable, that's all im gonna say
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySlevin View Post
    Just curious who on ftr plays hu sngs as their main game? feel free to post itt if you do!
    Hey, slevin. I'm a nano HU SnG player right now. LoL @ HU2. I haven't played much in a year, and I've got only a few hundred total bankroll online right now. So I'm trying to knock months of rust off, and HU2 is great place for "no negative nights." I'm rolled for at least 2 levels higher, but I need to get some game back before I move up.

Edit: I play turbo, and some of the 4-man tourneys, usually turbo.
    Ok last question(s): Whats a solid amount of games played a month and what type of BRM should we use?

I'm sure these are answered somewhere else.
    Ok last question(s): Whats a solid amount of games played a month and what type of BRM should we use?

Good question. I'm using somewhere around 40 BI's, but my volume's obviously not very high. I honestly have no idea and just made something up. Be nice to know.
    I think 40 buyins is fine as long as you are sure you're a winner. I personally like to have 100 buyins for my main game.

If you're transitioning into them, I recommend starting at low stakes and logging in at least 1500 games before even thinking of moving up. Sometimes good variance can make you think you're better than you are... Look critically at all aspects of your game and be open minded. The correct way to play hu sngs is somewhat different than cash and can sometimes appear retarded.

Once you are sure you're a winner, then I'd start aggressively taking shots. I'm pretty sure the level of competition isn't that drastically different at each stake.

Also, I'd watch videos from successful hu sng players on HUsng.com or other websites that have them. Also, watching winning players play at the 500 and 300 level can be very helpful.
    Thanks Max. Great stuff. Was a member at HUsng a few months ago and have a lot of vids downloaded and will be working a lot with an EV calculator program. Also, hokiegreg lives close to me and said he'd let me watch him sometimes but that was months ago too

I would say 100 buy ins minimum at hunsg, they are the most variance prone format game you could play.
    I would say 100 buy ins minimum at hunsg, they are the most variance prone format game you could play.
    I disagree and I think you are losing a ton of value having 100 buyins. Around 50 BI should be more than enough but this # also depends on your winrate. Just make sure you drop down stakes @ anypoint if you have below 50 buyins.
    Why do you guys prefer HU sng vs HU cash? I ask because I've been playing a little of both lately but prefer cash.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Cause the cash guys all sit and wait for fish. There is so much game play between regs and bumhunters trying to find fish once you get to even $25NL that you will drive yourself insane, guys sitting out when you sit, guys playing for 20 hands and sitting out once they know you can play. W/S&G's, you sit and play, much less hassle to find games for starters.
    Just go look at any HU cash stakes on the sites, or read the 2p2 iPoker, Stars, Tilt threads. It's drama.
    Yeah I rarely play HU SNGs but I have yet to play anyone I feel was competent
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Cause the cash guys all sit and wait for fish. There is so much game play between regs and bumhunters trying to find fish once you get to even $25NL that you will drive yourself insane, guys sitting out when you sit, guys playing for 20 hands and sitting out once they know you can play. W/S&G's, you sit and play, much less hassle to find games for starters.
    Just go look at any HU cash stakes on the sites, or read the 2p2 iPoker, Stars, Tilt threads. It's drama.
    I haven't had this issue yet at 25nl and bodog has a lot of loose cannons so I don't think I will for awhile.

I like the ability to get up from the table if I don't want to play the guy.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    Hey, slevin. I'm a nano HU SnG player right now. LoL @ HU2. I haven't played much in a year, and I've got only a few hundred total bankroll online right now. So I'm trying to knock months of rust off, and HU2 is great place for "no negative nights." I'm rolled for at least 2 levels higher, but I need to get some game back before I move up.

Edit: I play turbo, and some of the 4-man tourneys, usually turbo.
    Nice one Robb, gl man

Re: the questions / discussion about variance.

If people want to play a lower variance game this is certainly doable limping buttons stabbing in the early levels to get a feel for the opponent and then still fairly passively taking advantage of their weaknesses.

it's more profitable to play an aggressive style because every 'abc' sng reg is taught to play tight in the early levels, and most do not know how to handle aggression.

Personally I prefer the 4man HUSNGs, i think average ability for the buyin is weaker compared to straight forward 2man HUSNG.

Variance can be very high though even in non turbos i've lost about 30 on the spin (over a small sample size) before where I had the best of it about 80% of the time, which is why I think 100 bi's should be minimum for any serious player, having said that I was playing a fairly aggressive style at the time, if you were playing a more passive style I'm sure 50 bi's would probabally be fine if you can play post flop.
    Last edited by LuckySlevin; 12-07-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Why do you guys prefer HU sng vs HU cash? I ask because I've been playing a little of both lately but prefer cash.
    hu cash at 100nl and above is basically dead
    Where do HU SNGs get tough in relation to the line at 100NL?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Can you use a HUD at Bodog, bigred? And how low can you play HU cash?
    I wouldn't recommend playing both hu sngs and hu cash regularly. Shallow stacks require such different play it always has affected my cash play negatively.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Variance can be very high though even in non turbos i've lost about 30 on the spin (over a small sample size) before where I had the best of it about 80% of the time, which is why I think 100 bi's should be minimum for any serious player, having said that I was playing a fairly aggressive style at the time, if you were playing a more passive style I'm sure 50 bi's would probabally be fine if you can play post flop.
    The nano HU games are almost no variance, because you aren't really relying much on showdowns to win. I'm staying interested in the $1 and $2 games because I have a bunch of eroded poker skill - discipline especially - that I have to get back. I was winning pretty consistently at the $10 and $11 games, not the 1.5k sample like Number2intheworld suggests, but about 400. But I haven't played in a pretty much a whole year, so I'm not ready for challenging bigger stakes.
    Can you use a HUD at Bodog, bigred? And how low can you play HU cash?
    There's a $50 handgrabber application that imports hands into HEM. HEM just came out with a beta hand importer of their own but it imports 10% of the hands correctly and blows up the other 90% of the time. Still waiting for them to fix this.

Lowest HU cash game at bodog is 5NL.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Thanks man. Will definitely look at moving some cash over there.
    If you're playing micro/small stakes HUSNGs having more than 30 BIs really feels like a waste until you're up to the $34.50 level. It's aggressive, but if you're disciplined its really not that hard to jump around stakes if you have to.
    nope. <50bi's might as well throw it on the roullete wheel
    Gary - What makes HUSNG BRM more important than cash game BRM?
    nope. <50bi's might as well throw it on the roullete wheel
    False. Go to HUSNG.com and you will see a lot of instructors there advocate aggressive BRM if you're a recreational player. (Which I'm assuming all of us are except for Max and Danny.) There's nothing wrong with having to move up/down in stakes if you can handle it. It's really not that high variance at the low and micro stakes if you just pay attention to the villains.

By all means, if you're just starting out, use 50+ BIs because you have no clue what you're doing. But if you've played poker before and know about ranges, 3betting, etc there is no reason why you should hamstring your development by having a huge number of BIs until you're ready to start withdrawing or whatever.

To each his own, if you want to waste your time grinding $5 HUSNGs then by all means, go right ahead while I'm making more $/hr at the $20s.

If you want to act like a condescending dickhead, so can I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roid_Rage View Post
    False. Go to HUSNG.com and you will see a lot of instructors there advocate aggressive BRM if you're a recreational player. (Which I'm assuming all of us are except for Max and Danny.) There's nothing wrong with having to move up/down in stakes if you can handle it. It's really not that high variance at the low and micro stakes if you just pay attention to the villains.

By all means, if you're just starting out, use 50+ BIs because you have no clue what you're doing. But if you've played poker before and know about ranges, 3betting, etc there is no reason why you should hamstring your development by having a huge number of BIs until you're ready to start withdrawing or whatever.

To each his own, if you want to waste your time grinding $5 HUSNGs then by all means, go right ahead while I'm making more $/hr at the $20s.

If you want to act like a condescending dickhead, so can I.
    One of the core principles at FTR is solid bankroll management. While some sites suggest more aggressive policies, and even some FTR icons have utilized aggressive strategies, as a group we tend to err toward conservative.

Some of the biggest success stories at FTR used what some would think of as nitty bankroll management, but they actually moved up faster overall in the end, because they didn't yoyo between stakes.

I would not suggest name-calling here, even when someone uses hyperbole to disagree. I don't believe any offense was intended. Slevin's not that kind of forum poster.
    Despite my join date, I've been around FTR for a while. I understand that conservative BRM is a great thing to have.

I really wouldn't have been a dickhead to him if he hadn't started down that path first. Just take a glance at his post and it's pretty obvious he's just trying to 'put the noob in his place.'

Like I said before, I wholeheartedly agree that if you are just starting out in poker and don't understand basic concepts, etc having a large BR (50+ BIs) is recommended, and quite probably, necessary. If however, you have some experience (either in HUSNGs or other forms of poker) and at the very least understand ranges to some extent, there is no reason why anyone should tell you you can't play a limit with 25-30 BIs. I'm not looking to pick a fight, I just don't like looking like I'm stupid when there's absolutely no need for it.

Slevin and Robb, you guys obviously like having a more conservative BR. Thats great! You have a smaller chance of going busto than myself. I like to favor being more aggressive. Is there anything wrong with that? No. Is it 'throwing my money on the roulette wheel? Absolutely not. So I would appreciate it if Slevin would stop acting like he knows everything there is to know about HUSNGs and the BR required for them.
    Yeah Roid I agree with you. As long as you're beating the game and willing to move down if you go on a bad downer there's nothing wrong with having a 30 buyin BR.
    Actually, Roid, I don't have any clue about BR management for HU SnG's, so maybe I was out of line. If 30 BI's is solid, I'm happy to hear it.

I'm playing HU2's with more than 100 BI's behind just because I've been out of poker for a while and just getting back to some grinding. I appreciate the advice about when to move up. What's your stop loss?

Something like, "Move up at 30 BI, and move down if you drop below 20"?
    Yea, that's right about what I've always stuck with. If you feel like you're playing really piss poor in a session and drop 3-5 BIs nothing wrong with dropping a level or two to regroup obviously, and if you feel like you're on top of your shit I don't see a problem with taking an occasional stab at the limit above if you don't think losing will tilt you. Just don't go too crazy with the shot taking obviously.
    I main husngs. I just recently moved up to the 33 turbos on FTP. 30BI is a fairly standard BR for regs/turbos. I generally play by the guidelines in this article:

(I can't post a link, but It's on HUSNG.COM, it's under the free tab of HUSNG under articles, last article in the list titled "Bankroll Management")

I tend to be a bit nitty with my BR though, and currently play to 50BI before moving up. I think that playing with 60-100BI for superturbos and 4mans is fine too due to the increased variance.