Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

*** The Official MAGAposting thread ***

Page 83 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,225 of 9319
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    In order for Trump to be impeached, it has to happen before 2020 (he must be the sitting POTUS), and Pence will be sworn in.
    46 can't take office before that.
    Well, a couple of things:
    1) being impeached is not synonymous with being convicted and therefore removed from office. Essentially to impeach is to indict. The House impeaches, the Senate adjudicates.
    2) were he to be impeached and convicted, thereby removed from office, 46 would be Pence.
    3) trump will still be president in 2021 (should he not be impeached and convicted before his term ends)
    4) there is nothing that bars congress from impeaching and convicting a public official after their term has ended. Removal from office would obviously be moot at this point, but the guilty would then be barred from holding office from there on.

In this case, 46 wouldn't be on his side and wouldn't be likely to offer up a pardon.
    This may have been a bit confusing-- what's implied is that, in all scenarios in which Trump does not get a second term, whether 46 is Pence or a Democrat depends on whether Trump resigns/is removed from office before January 20th 2021.
    I'd guess the odds of Trump finishing his term, then being prosecuted for his actions while POTUS after the fact are very slim.

If he's going to be nailed for stuff he's doing as President, then it's gonna happen while he's President, or it wont happen
    is my prediction.
    It's an awkward position for a Democrat 46, because a huge part of what's blatantly wrong with Trump is that he attempts to persecute his political rivals. It would be very hard for a Dem46 to convince aggrieved MAGA hatters that that's not what's happening. But actively pardoning isn't an option, and even directing his DOJ to look the other way doesn't seem politically permissible.

Then there's the whole question of state AG's, who a Dem46 has no hard power over.

Trump is not the problem, he's a symptom, and even if he's prosecuted and sent to a min security prison for a couple minutes, it's not going to change the hearts and minds of the people that voted to put him in office.
    Yeah, if all goes well over the next year and a half or so, we'll be able to breath a sigh of relief.. but then the real work starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I mean I don't do it myself because I think it's pointless. But I can see something thinking 'oh those poor people, i can't afford to send them money I'll try to do the next best thing and send them some Jebus.' So while I agree it's retarded, I don't think it's necessarily virtue signalling. Some people actually believe praying will help.

Also I'm not sure you should be looking for missing family members on twitter lol. If they can use twitter they can use skype or I dunno, dial a number on the phone their posting on twitter with?
    Making a post on Twitter is not praying though. So even if you're one of the minority who thinks prayer can help, posting a comment saying you're doing it is still virtue signalling.

And you're wrong. People use Twitter, and indeed Skype, or Facebook, to search for loved ones after disasters. It might be direct, or indirect, such as seeking out information regarding emergency shelters. As for phoning someone, that's not so easy when tens of thousands of people are trying to phone people at the same time. People might also be using Twitter to try to find news articles relating to the event, to see how bad it is, and which regions are affected. That's a lot harder when 90%+ of the posts are "thoughts and prayers".

The vast majority of people do it to demonstrate they are kind and thoughtful people... that's what virtue signalling is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Making a post on Twitter is not praying though. So even if you're one of the minority who thinks prayer can help, posting a comment saying you're doing it is still virtue signalling.

And you're wrong. People use Twitter, and indeed Skype, or Facebook, to search for loved ones after disasters. It might be direct, or indirect, such as seeking out information regarding emergency shelters. As for phoning someone, that's not so easy when tens of thousands of people are trying to phone people at the same time. People might also be using Twitter to try to find news articles relating to the event, to see how bad it is, and which regions are affected. That's a lot harder when 90%+ of the posts are "thoughts and prayers".

The vast majority of people do it to demonstrate they are kind and thoughtful people... that's what virtue signalling is.
    so much nonsense in one post.

People don't use twitter to search for loved ones, don't be an idiot. And if they did, as a last resort, check someone's twitter account to see if they posted, other people tweeting thoughts and prayers isn't going to make any difference. You look at NanaOng's twitter account, and see she's tweeted 'I'm ok everybody! Just need some thoughts and prayers" and you know she's fine.

And if you're looking at twitter to find out where emergency shelters are or to get updates on the news, you don't deserve to find your family. Use google, you fucking idiot.

And I'm not sure if you've heard of this invention, but nowadays there's phones that use satellites. So no, the phone lines don't get overwhelmed during a disaster and therefore you have to rely on twitter lol.

As far as people using twitter to virtue signal, sure it probably does happen. I'm just saying there's reasons people can express concern about something besides just trying to make themselves look good. If, e.g., you have a friend in the hospital and you go visit them, is that virtue signalling too? Or does it only count if you tell someone else you went - 'hey I saw Joe today and he's doing ok, a bit down but what can be expected after a double testiclectomy?' What if you tweet out 'hey Joe, hope you're feeling better with no balls now. Must be a relief to be able to fit in your jeans again. damn those things were the size of grapefruits! Who'da thought a flea infestation could get so out of hand like that?' knowing he's going to see it. Is that virtue signalling too?

I'll accept sometimes people are virtue signalling if you accept sometimes they genuinely think their message is doing some good.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 10-02-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    Not so much as suggesting we can apply logic to the actions of people who pray.
    Fair point. I guess maybe some people think it helps the person they're tweeting at to know someone is speaking to Jebus on their behalf. Maybe that's the idea behind it. I don't know really.
    so much nonsense in one post.
    Goes on to post a wall of nonsense.

People don't use twitter to search for loved ones, don't be an idiot.
    It's one resource that someone might use. Are you telling me that if you were looking for someone, and your phone wasn't working, you'd think "nah can't be fucked with Twitter"? You'd use every resource available.

And if they did, as a last resort, check someone's twitter account to see if they posted
    I'm not really talking about people seeing if they've been active and made a recent post, Facebook is more likely to be the resource there. Then again, many people use Twitter but not Facebook, so some people might want to check out if their sister has been online. They can do that easily without having to filter through the virtue signallers, by simple checking their feed.

And if you're looking at twitter to find out where emergency shelters are or to get updates on the news, you don't deserve to find your family. Use google, you fucking idiot.
    You do realise that the information probably finds its way onto Twitter first, right? Local emergency services run Twitter feeds, and news agencies pick up on these. That's how journalism works these days, journalists are lazy and basically rely on Twitter to do their job for them. A google search is not going to yield desirable results as quickly as Twitter when it comes to world events as they are happening.

And I'm not sure if you've heard of this invention, but nowadays there's phones that use satellites. So no, the phone lines don't get overwhelmed during a disaster and therefore you have to rely on twitter lol.
    Of course you'll try phoning them first. What if they don't answer? Here's a fun activity for you... google "finding loved ones after a disaster". Obviously, they recommend using social media. Obviously.

I'm just saying there's reasons people can express concern about something besides just trying to make themselves look good.
    Sure there are. There's a big difference between "hey Mom, hope you're ok, see you soon x" and "omg how horrible, that tsunami looks scary, hope everyone is ok, pray for #Indonesia". The difference is that on the one hand you're directly communicating with someone you know, on the other you're posting inane crap that makes nobody feel better except perhaps other virtue signallers who are completely unaffected by the disaster and somehow think what they read was a nice thing to read.

I'll accept sometimes people are virtue signalling if you accept sometimes they genuinely think they're message is doing some good.
    We're not negotiating here. I don't give a fuck what you accept. And there's a huge difference between thinking you're doing good, and actually doing good. I don't doubt these people think they are doing good, if they didn't they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't expect to look and feel good as a result. Anyone who thinks a message to people they don't know is helping is a moron, especially when the vast majority of posts relating to the topic are others doing exactly the same.

These people who "think they're doing good" are whoring for likes and shares, and trying to to the absolute bare minimum to "help" so they can feel good about themselves. Virtue signalling.
    ongies gonna ong
    Local emergency services run Twitter feeds, and news agencies pick up on these.
    Then look at them. Or are you saying they only post thoughts and prayers? Wat the fuck is your actual argument?

Of course you'll try phoning them first. What if they don't answer? Here's a fun activity for you... google "finding loved ones after a disaster". Obviously, they recommend using social media. Obviously.
    Right, and do you look at their personal fb page or twitter account or do you search twitter for #disasternews? Fuck me, just give up already.
    #prayforMidlands

There. Now if your ever in a disaster and your family is looking for you they won't be able to find you.
    You're so disingenuous.
    ongies gonna ong
    I deleted the new thread you started, it was inane and amounted to spam. I seem to have accidentally deleted the aarrggh thread too. I'll mop up the tears later.
    ongies gonna ong
    fascist!
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    One thing that really leaves me scratching my head in this insane news cycle is this new bit of information about the Kislyak meeting: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...40f_story.html

The meeting is mentioned in the Mueller report, but not that he said he was unconcerned about russian election interference because the US did it too. That means it was either redacted - unlikely because similar remarks remained unredacted, or Mueller only got a redacted version of the conversation as well.
    I deleted the new thread you started, it was inane and amounted to spam. I seem to have accidentally deleted the aarrggh thread too. I'll mop up the tears later.
    Oi. Cool it, Hitler.
    -Ghandi
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    fascist!
    Next he'll be trying to stifle any reasonable argument by [poop is a twat] them nonstop for days.

Oh wait...
    Last edited by OngBonga; 10-02-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Because I'm Hitler
    One thing that really leaves me scratching my head in this insane news cycle is this new bit of information about the Kislyak meeting: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...40f_story.html
    Paywalled so can't read.

One thing I'm waiting for to happen is a bunch of other phone transcripts get released and we basically find out that every convo Trump has with a foreign leader has nothing to do with America and everything to do with Trump getting richer/winnng in 2020/offering things in return for cheap loans. At least that seems to be the direction it's heading.
    Here Ong this ought to cheer you up. fwiw I'm pretty much with Joe Rogan on this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Well, a couple of things:
    1) being impeached is not synonymous with being convicted and therefore removed from office. Essentially to impeach is to indict. The House impeaches, the Senate adjudicates.
    2) were he to be impeached and convicted, thereby removed from office, 46 would be Pence.
    3) trump will still be president in 2021 (should he not be impeached and convicted before his term ends)
    4) there is nothing that bars congress from impeaching and convicting a public official after their term has ended. Removal from office would obviously be moot at this point, but the guilty would then be barred from holding office from there on.
    1) Yeah. Impeachment is equivalent to a Grand Jury. If the impeachment hearing reaches a supermajority of votes to impeach, that amounts to a criminal indictment. That is, the impeachment hearing is a precursor to leveling criminal charges and any legal actions that follow. The purpose is to see if there is adequate evidence to take the time and effort to press charges, basically. It's meant to protect elected officials from frivolous law suits, as I understand it. IF the impeachment goes through, then removal from office to stand trial is the next legal action.

It should be noted that 2 US presidents have been impeached and neither left office.
    Nixon was not impeached, but resigned when it became clear that he would be impeached. Nixon was pardoned by Ford, even though at first Ford said he'd only do it if Nixon apologized. Nixon said he didn't commit any crimes and had nothing to apologize for. Ford relented and pardoned him anyway.

4) That was a rabbit hole.
    As far as I can tell, impeachment only applies to "officers of the US federal gov't." This includes not just POTUS, but top-level federal judiciary seats and all offices which are filled by presidential appointment with Senate approval.
    In addition, it includes every officer in all branches of US military. I assume impeachment doesn't apply to military officers, as the military has its own courts, but it's a guess.

So, as far as I can tell, once the official is no longer in office, the impeachment clause does not apply to them. That's under the assumption that "officer of the US fed gov't" isn't a lifetime title, but that's not completely clear. A person may choose to hold the honorific "The honorable" [MMM] for life, having ever held one of these offices, though wikipedia says use of this honorific is not common.

I'm not exactly sure who and under what circumstances needs to be impeached to continue with criminal prosecution, and an ex-POTUS may or may not have that protection.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    "Election USA 2020: Colludo-mania!"
    I'm sorry for accidentally deleting an active thread.

Not sorry for nipping the new one in the bud. The arrggghhh thread was sufficient for our constant bickering.
    ongies gonna ong
    1) Yeah. Impeachment is equivalent to a Grand Jury. If the impeachment hearing reaches a supermajority of votes to impeach, that amounts to a criminal indictment. That is, the impeachment hearing is a precursor to leveling criminal charges and any legal actions that follow. The purpose is to see if there is adequate evidence to take the time and effort to press charges, basically. It's meant to protect elected officials from frivolous law suits, as I understand it. IF the impeachment goes through, then removal from office to stand trial is the next legal action.

It should be noted that 2 US presidents have been impeached and neither left office.
    Nixon was not impeached, but resigned when it became clear that he would be impeached. Nixon was pardoned by Ford, even though at first Ford said he'd only do it if Nixon apologized. Nixon said he didn't commit any crimes and had nothing to apologize for. Ford relented and pardoned him anyway.

4) That was a rabbit hole.
    As far as I can tell, impeachment only applies to "officers of the US federal gov't." This includes not just POTUS, but top-level federal judiciary seats and all offices which are filled by presidential appointment with Senate approval.
    In addition, it includes every officer in all branches of US military. I assume impeachment doesn't apply to military officers, as the military has its own courts, but it's a guess.

So, as far as I can tell, once the official is no longer in office, the impeachment clause does not apply to them. That's under the assumption that "officer of the US fed gov't" isn't a lifetime title, but that's not completely clear. A person may choose to hold the honorific "The honorable" [MMM] for life, having ever held one of these offices, though wikipedia says use of this honorific is not common.

I'm not exactly sure who and under what circumstances needs to be impeached to continue with criminal prosecution, and an ex-POTUS may or may not have that protection.
    Yeah, the ex-POTUS impeachment is interesting but almost certainly will remain theoretical, and is a bit in the weeds. But if you're enjoying the rabbit hole, this is just a few paragraphs: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ton-again.html

Anyways, my point was that there are some interesting scenarios given the game board-- for example, it could be in Trump's best interest to get himself impeached if it's a lock that we'll have a Dem POTUS in January 2021 and he'll face criminal charges that Pence would preemptively pardon him for. Of course he still has the issue of being charged by state AG's..
    Those are interesting scenarios, but it seems to me that assuming Trump is capable of strategizing like that is unsupported by his past behaviour. My guess is he's just going to keep digging in his heels and proclaiming his innocence until whatever end happens.

Like I said before, Trump will only be taken out of the WH by his fingernails, kicking and screaming the whole way.
    Interesting.
    Those are interesting scenarios, but it seems to me that assuming Trump is capable of strategizing like that is unsupported by his past behaviour. My guess is he's just going to keep digging in his heels and proclaiming his innocence until whatever end happens.

Like I said before, Trump will only be taken out of the WH by his fingernails, kicking and screaming the whole way.
    It does appear that we've been lucky to have presidents who more or less go white dwarf after they leave office. It is hard to imagine Trump not going supernova. It's just hard to imagine a post-Trump world at all. Hopefully this is wrong, but I feel like no matter how he leaves office, his base will be enraged. If he dies of a heart attack, it will be a deep state cover operation; if he loses the election, it will be because it was rigged, if he serves both terms and anyone but a Trump sycophant isn't elected in 2024, it will be because the election was rigged.
    Interesting.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    It does appear that we've been lucky to have presidents who more or less go white dwarf after they leave office. It is hard to imagine Trump not going supernova. It's just hard to imagine a post-Trump world at all. Hopefully this is wrong, but I feel like no matter how he leaves office, his base will be enraged. If he dies of a heart attack, it will be a deep state cover operation; if he loses the election, it will be because it was rigged, if he serves both terms and anyone but a Trump sycophant isn't elected in 2024, it will be because the election was rigged.
    Seems spot on to me. That said, his base can go fuck themselves. I'm done worrying about how they feel. I might be more worried if I lived there though I guess.
    I just don't think you can be afraid to vote out Trump because his base won't like it and might react badly. That's no different than not standing up to a bully because he might punch you in the face. You still have to do it.
    This is funny. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Trump loses an election, the vast majority of his supporters will accept it. The reaction will be a lot more subdued than the outrage at him winning, and the shitshow we've had since.

I might be wrong, this post might not age well. But it's what I believe right now.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think the vast majority will accept it too if you define 'accept' as meaning not getting violent about it. But it doesn't take much of a proportion out of millions going off the rails to make things ugly. If even 1000 of those millions go mass killer (which I think is unlikely, probably closer to 10 or 100), then it's going to be pretty traumatic.
    Well yeah we can be creative about what it means to "accept" the result, for clarity on what it means to me then I would say that the vast majority of his opponents have failed to accept him winning. So if Trump losing is met with hysterical noise from his supporters, then I would say they too have failed to accept the result.

If violence is the measure, then the vast majority of his opponents have accepted him winning, and of course the same will be true if he loses. I think talk of 1000 or even 100 mass killers is fear porn of the highest quality. That's right up there with documentaries about Yellowstone Park.
    ongies gonna ong
    There will likely be incidents if he loses, just like there are incidents all the time. Find me a year where USA didn't have a mass shooting. idk what the average is, but I wouldn't expect there to be any more mass killings than average in the year after an election.
    ongies gonna ong
    The difference is he encourages it, past presidents didn't. Like Boost said, he's going to go supernova. He's already talking about impeachment leading to a possible civil war.
    Keep in mind that most of Trump's base are simply Republican voters who aren't attached to Trump, per se, so much as they're attached to the Republican party.
    If Trump somehow wins again in 2020 I think the odds are even that 47 will be Guiliani.
    lol.

The whistleblower is hearsay.

I got news for you... the actual recording of the phone call is also hearsay... that doesn't mean it's not valuable evidence at getting to the truth.

Some hearsay is good evidence. Some is bad. When the topic of discussion is the content of the phone call, and that is hearsay by definition (it was said outside of a court and not under oath), then obviously the hearsay is good evidence.

Try harder, scandal defenders.
    If Trump somehow wins again in 2020 I think the odds are even that 47 will be Guiliani.
    You mean 46, no? But either way, lol.
    46. 2024.

Sorry lost count.
    Here Ong this ought to cheer you up. fwiw I'm pretty much with Joe Rogan on this shit.
    I cannot emphasize how much I am not with Rogan on this. This is "the left" ... "eating itself"?

Who's the left? Is "the left" a transgender boy at a girls school? Oh that old cliche! I remember when I was a transgender boy at a girls school! What else? Because a teenager, who... do we even know his political affiliation? Who says that if you're trans you're left? 2% of black people support Trump. I'm sure some gender-queer are just as confused... and because that teenager uses pretentious language to describe himself, that means "the left" has lost the plot?

What absolute drivel.
    Last edited by oskar; 10-04-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    I missed that post.

If someone who is born female identifies as a male, and expects to have the same rights as men, they are promoting left wing views. The left is very much concerned with equality. The idea that "the left are eating themselves" is based on the notion that they seem to abandon equality as soon as someone they don't like expects to be treated the same as someone they do like. To truly support left wing ideals, you need to accept that white males are also entitled to equality. To treat a woman who identifies as a male with contempt because she is white, that is the opposite of equality.

I think it's fair to say the compnay in question are left wing, or at least identify as such. No right wing or politically neutral company will see any benefit to hiring a "diversity officer", whatever the fuck that is.

The trans person, I don't think it matters if he's left wing or not. He probably is, but that's a guess based on his genderqueerness. They tend to lean left because they want to be treated as normal people, so it's natural for them to tend in that direction. Of course, it's not a given. Chelsea Manning doesn't come across as particularly left wing, not that I know a great deal about her other than she slipped secrets about Clinton to Assange when she was a he. Seems pretty anti-left to me. So yeah, it's not a given, though I'd say it's a reasonable assumption. That said, I also think the trannie's ideology is irrelevant in the matter. It's the company's ideology that is relevant here.
    ongies gonna ong
    I missed that post.

If someone who is born female identifies as a male, and expects to have the same rights as men, they are promoting left wing views. The left is very much concerned with equality. The idea that "the left are eating themselves" is based on the notion that they seem to abandon equality as soon as someone they don't like expects to be treated the same as someone they do like. To truly support left wing ideals, you need to accept that white males are also entitled to equality. To treat a woman who identifies as a male with contempt because she is white, that is the opposite of equality.

I think it's fair to say the compnay in question are left wing, or at least identify as such. No right wing or politically neutral company will see any benefit to hiring a "diversity officer", whatever the fuck that is.

The trans person, I don't think it matters if he's left wing or not. He probably is, but that's a guess based on his genderqueerness. They tend to lean left because they want to be treated as normal people, so it's natural for them to tend in that direction. Of course, it's not a given. Chelsea Manning doesn't come across as particularly left wing, not that I know a great deal about her other than she slipped secrets about Clinton to Assange when she was a he. Seems pretty anti-left to me. So yeah, it's not a given, though I'd say it's a reasonable assumption. That said, I also think the trannie's ideology is irrelevant in the matter. It's the company's ideology that is relevant here.
    https://youtu.be/bCAnalgNQps?t=21
    Someone give this reporter a medal: https://youtu.be/mEXWI5YK0E8?t=172
    Last edited by oskar; 10-04-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    lol "You talking to me? You must be talking to me. I don't see any other colluders up here."
    AOC's winning the presidency 2024
    Holy shit I haven't seen all these avatars and side flairs in a year. Feels longer.
    Hi Wuf! Long time.

You doing well?

You a professional economist, yet?
    Yo!

I left the econ life, but the econ life never left me.

I'm doing phenomenal. Thanks for asking. You?
    Still doing that gig where I play with toys and watch YouTube videos in a physics department.
    Pretty rockin'.

Still with the same gal. She's rockin', too.

The summer heat finally broke and the windows are open for the first time in months.

Altogether rockin'.
    That's awesome and great to hear.
    AOC's winning the presidency 2024
    Wuf!!

I thought it was Ivanka.
    Wuf!!

I thought it was Ivanka.
    If she runs, she has a chance to beat AOC. She's one of the only who could.

AOC is so powerful that she probably has no choice but to run 2024. I'm not sure about Ivanka. Her new haircut suggests she might be looking to run, but I'm not as confident as I am that AOC will.
    How you been?
    Her new haircut suggests she might be looking to run
    Hold up!
    Where's that coming from?

Is 2nd term Trump still a lock?
    How you been?
    Good, thanks man. And you?
    Hold up!
    Where's that coming from?

Is 2nd term Trump still a lock?
    She recently went with this cut, giving her more of a woman in charge look. It's probably a coincidence, but is curious nonetheless.

Most Trump fans think he's a lock for 2020. I do not. He's incredibly vulnerable.

Gun to the head, I'd say he wins >50% of the time, but my confidence is nowhere near what it was for 2016, and he could get beat convincingly.
    Good, thanks man. And you?
    That's great.

I'm closing in on final form.
    She recently went with this cut, giving her more of a woman in charge look. It's probably a coincidence, but is curious nonetheless.

looks like she's trying to copy Hillary.
    Could be.
    Orange is a good color for her.
    Orange woman bad!
    Damn, the Deep State really did a pro job of framing Trump this time

Why is he doing the news like a crappier version of a Colbert monologue? This is bizarre.
    Last edited by oskar; 10-06-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    Fake comedy news?
    So Wuf, where you at regarding Trump impeachment?

Bless this man!
    context: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-federal-judge

Let's hope this goes to the supreme court before Trump can appoint Judge Jeanine.
    So Wuf, where you at regarding Trump impeachment?
    The politicians' fake outrage is noted.
    Last edited by wufwugy; 10-07-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    So you think it's ok to ask foreign governments to investigate your political opponents in a presidential election in exchange for foreign aid or policy?
    Or do you think this is a mischaracterization of what is happening? If so: what do you think is happening?
    Yeah I think they pretty much caught him red-handed this time. He's not getting out of this one.
    idk about that for one simple reason: no matter how much democrats like to state the opposite: the president is above the law. He can appoint supreme court judges, he owns the DOJ, and the senate will vote purely on politics. If GOP senators can get away with shutting down impeachment politically, they will. Trump can do anything - as long as republican voters are largely ok with it, the senate will stop impeachment.

The only way impeachment can hurt Trump is the same way impeachment hurt Clinton: by the optics. He got impeached - that sounds bad! And if you're lucky, enough of them stay home on election day.
    Last edited by oskar; 10-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    So you think it's ok to ask foreign governments to investigate your political opponents in a presidential election in exchange for taxpayer appointed foreign aid or policy?
    FYP

The money he withheld was tax money appointed by Congress to go to Ukraine, our ally.

Or do you think this is a mischaracterization of what is happening? If so: what do you think is happening?
    I'm very curious what an intelligent Republican voter thinks of this, too.
    If GOP senators can get away with shutting down impeachment politically, they will. .
    There may be some politics and optics involved, but even Fox News is having a hard time defending him on this one. And when it's something completely inexcusable like this I think even the GOP senate will turn.
    I'm very curious what an intelligent Republican voter thinks of this, too.
    Me too... Now we just have to find one!
    Last edited by oskar; 10-08-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    There may be some politics and optics involved, but even Fox News is having a hard time defending him on this one. And when it's something completely inexcusable like this I think even the GOP senate will turn.
    Brian Kilmeade is not having a super fun time with Trump greenlighting Turkey genociding the Kurds again... so I guess we know where his line is.
    https://youtu.be/BuaUCuS3TLg?t=282
    ^ well that was awkward. The look on the other two's faces was pretty priceless though lol.
    So you think it's ok to ask foreign governments to investigate your political opponents in a presidential election in exchange for foreign aid or policy?
    I haven't looked into the details because this is one pickle slice in a long line of throwing every pickle slice against the window to see what sticks.

If it's legitimate this time, then hopefully it will turn into something more. Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how many more pickles they launch at the window.
    Last edited by wufwugy; 10-08-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Being pot committed is a fallacy, might be better to just cut your losses.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

@wuf: Check the link in this post for a timeline of what this is about.
    Sorry to nest a link in a link, but I'm sick and lazy.
    (oh, and I pretty much blame you for me being sick, since you show up here and within hours I have a cold. Jerkface.)

I still agree with you that Trump dodges bullets better than Neo. It's still premature to talk impeachment on a serious level.

The facts appear to be:
    1) Trump kept saying stuff like "You guys are cracking down on corruption. You should check out Biden." over and over. His guys talking to Ukrain's Pres's guys in multiple meetings saying to investigate Biden.
    2) Congress gives $400 M in aide to Ukraine and a week before it's delivered, Trump puts a hold on it. AFAIK, no one close to Trump knows why he did this. I.e. he didn't tell anyone why he did that. That doesn't mean there's no alibi, but it would sure help his case if he had given a single good reason for doing so to anyone close to him.

Here's the question. Are those 2 things directly related?

It's perfectly legal for Trump to encourage anyone anywhere to investigate anyone anywhere.
    It is perfectly legal for Trump to put a hold on taxpayer approved international aid.
    It is perfectly legal for Trump to use taxpayer money to investigate threats to national security.
    BUT,
    It is treason for Trump to use this money (by withholding it to apply pressure) for personal gain.

I mean... I guess we already got our answer. Wuf isn't even paying attention. He simply presumes the negative things said about Trump are fake news.

I don't think that represents all "intelligent Rep voters," but I'd wager it represents a significant proportion if not a majority.