Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 313 of 420 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 23,401 to 23,475 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This is true as far as I'm aware. It's possible that they just don't export their good stuff though.
    You guys don't have Hershey products in your sissy country?
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    You guys don't have Hershey products in your sissy country?
    Yes we have that shit. Far inferior to Cadbury's, even now that Cadbury's is shitter than it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    The demise of Cadbury's is sad. Once, my home city was home to world class chocolate, on a par with Swiss and Belgian chocolate. Now it's bog standard.

Still, much nicer than Hersheys.
    ongies gonna ong
    Lies

Ooooh, that must be why it's so popular
    It's popular among people whom only claim to like it as a smear campaign against vanilla.

I feel like I'm going to regret asking this, but what do you think differentiates "the best" chocolate from the rest.
    I can tell 'cause the best chocolate doesn't taste like disappointment.

Dark European chocolate w/ high % of cacao is OK, but it's still near the bottom of my "that counts as a treat" list.

Maybe just don't eat dessert then?
    Take this commie nonsense back to Al Quada, you nazi ISIS terrorist SJW cuck!

Why choke down something you think is just 'ok'?
    It's still sweet, and my pancreas over-produces insulin (kinda the opposite of diabetes). I crave a sweet snack after a meal because my body over-processes the sugars out of my blood.
    The unprocessed sugars enter my blood stream and are immediately pulled out... in excess. The "good" sugars I've eaten will restore the balance in about 20 - 30 minutes, but during that period, I have a sweet-tooth craving.

It is only during this window of opportunity that chocolate breaks through my notion that it's not that good, but not really bad, so ... sugar wins.

Unless you're admitting that it's more than 'ok', which I'm sure you are.
    Nope. It makes the bottom of the list of food treats.

What I'm not sure about is why you started this smear campaign against chocolate when you obviously like it so much.
    I'm not campaigning. Just saying.
    Chocolate is meh, and the conspiracy to convince me otherwise is laid bare for what it is.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me.
    Besides, anyone who pretends they don't agree with me is clearly a lying manipulator who thinks they can play me.

(I think I found the tone to communicate with Mr. Stand.... how'd I do?)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Not bad for a first try, but could use some more condescension and vitriol.
    It's popular among people whom only claim to like it as a smear campaign against vanilla.
    oh puh-leeeeeeeeeeze

Chocolate doesn't need to cheat to blow vanilla out of the water. Vanilla does a good enough job being totally shitty on its own.

I can tell 'cause the best chocolate doesn't taste like disappointment.
    All chocolate is a disappointment. It's 100 calories per cubic inch, and tastes good for a nanosecond. Fucking physics dude.

Dark European chocolate w/ high % of cacao is OK, but it's still near the bottom of my "that counts as a treat" list.
    I think your criteria for "treat" is kinda demented. Also, the fact that you have a list of what 'counts as a treat' suggests a significant eating disorder.

Take this commie nonsense back to Al Quada, you nazi ISIS terrorist SJW cuck!
    That's a pretty violent reaction to losing dessert. Again.....you might have an eating disorder.

It's still sweet, and my pancreas over-produces insulin (kinda the opposite of diabetes).
    Called it.

I crave a sweet snack after a meal because my body over-processes the sugars out of my blood.
    So.....eat less sugar at dinner.

The unprocessed sugars enter my blood stream and are immediately pulled out... in excess. The "good" sugars I've eaten will restore the balance in about 20 - 30 minutes, but during that period, I have a sweet-tooth craving
    I'd suggest that maybe you just tough it out for 20 minutes. Maybe use logic to override your 'sweet tooth'. Like just tell yourself "I've eaten enough calories for this sitting, my body has enough fuel to perform the tasks I expect to require between now and the next insertion of sustenance. Terminate eating sequence"

If you're going to respond to that suggestion by calling me a communist Al-Queada sympathizer, you might want to look up "eating disorder".

Luckily the treatment won't be too difficult. Basically you'll go to rehab and sit in a room full of itchy, irritable junkies and tell your story. You can tell the guy who left his kid at a bus station while he went to buy heroin that you can't go 20 minutes without a cupcake after your sirloin.

I'm betting you'll only need one session.

It is only during this window of opportunity that chocolate breaks through my notion that it's not that good, but not really bad, so ... sugar wins.
    That's called an addiction. Honestly man, I think it's 'neat-o' that you have this fancy, biologically sound, scientific explanation for what's going on in your body. But here in the real world, that's you unable to control a craving. We don't consider that excusable behavior in this society sir. Get a grip.

Nope. It makes the bottom of the list of food treats.
    I'm guessing the top of the list involves dumping granulated sugar into a bowl and dousing it with maple syrup. Then wash it all down with a Pepsi.

I'm not campaigning. Just saying. Chocolate is meh,
    Flat out, don't believe you.

anyone who pretends sincerely demonstrates that they don't agree with me is clearly a lying manipulator who thinks they can play me. gravely concerned for your health and wants you to stop pounding sugar before you lose a foot.
    Fixed your post

7 out of 10. Need way more 'dicks' and 'fucks'. The staccato hard K sounds are really aggressive and provocative.
    It takes patience and commitment to truly become a world class twat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Can confirm.
    ongies gonna ong
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Can confirm.
    Of all the things to become an expert at...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    "Super-mighty pre-emptive strike" lol. They can't even get a missile to work.
    Actually it comes quite naturally.

The saltiness is a natural side effect that comes with the burden of having all the answers.

The downside of being better than everyone else, is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.
    "Super-mighty pre-emptive strike" lol. They can't even get a missile to work.
    I'll bet they could get it to work if US operatives didn't sabotage it.

To prevent a problem, we need to sabotage ALL of his missiles. To create a problem, he only has to fire one.

It's really not a laughing matter. I predict shit is gonna get real bad, real fast.
    https://charlierose.com/videos/30381?autoplay=true

tl/dw: According to this guy they do have missiles that can reach Seoul right now. They have intercontinental missiles that could potentially reach as far as Washington but haven't been tested.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Yes, and there's no better move for N. Korea than bombing Washington and getting themselves erased from the planet in return.
    Oh yeah let's all be scared of North Korea lobbing nukes about, even though they haven't successfully tested their long range missiles, while ignoring a nuclear armed "ally" in Pakistan that allows ISIS to thrive in their nation.

Gotta love our "national security" based foreign policy.
    ongies gonna ong
    I see wuf lurking.
    ongies gonna ong
    http://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

Read it. You won't regret it.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...engthens-them/

As US prepares to gut net neutrality rules, Canada strengthens them
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Let's all post links that noone will click.

And by noone, I mean me.
    ongies gonna ong
    Wait, that reads like I'm reading them but noone else is.

The opposite of that.
    ongies gonna ong
    U missing out mate.

Now I'm torn between finding out what I'm missing out on, and being stubborn. I need to think this through.
    ongies gonna ong
    That was the plan. Muahaha.

Well I read some while I ate pizza, then read more while I smoked, then noticed after half an hour or so that I was probably 20% through the article, so I gave up.
    ongies gonna ong
    Well I read some while I ate pizza, then read more while I smoked, then noticed after half an hour or so that I was probably 20% through the article, so I gave up.
    ADD?

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    ADD?
    Considering I can play SimCity for an entire day, I'm gonna say no.
    ongies gonna ong

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I'm up to ~1/2 way, and it's taken me a few tries so far.
    Also, I skip a lot or just scan through the familiar stuff.

I still have no idea what a wizard hat is.
    Considering I can play SimCity for an entire day, I'm gonna say no.
    I picture you playing original Sim City in black and white on a 20 year old computer.
    With one of those long, elbowed desk lamps refit to hold a spliff next to your head.
    I picture you playing original Sim City in black and white on a 20 year old computer.
    With one of those long, elbowed desk lamps refit to hold a spliff next to your head.
    haha "Sim Copter One reporting heavy traffic!"

Nah I've moved on to SC4 with mods and everything.

My housemate made a spliff holder for his x-box controller.
    ongies gonna ong
    haha "Sim Copter One reporting heavy traffic!"
    lol
    I had forgotten about that.

I vaguely recall typing "imacheat" over and over to get free monies. Same game?
    I forgot that cheat. On SC4, there's weaknesspays, which gives you 1k (peanuts), or riskymoney, which causes an earthquake, but gives you 10k, so you do it shitloads before you start building. And now with mods you can simply enter the exact amount of money you want, so I generally start with a 10m budget. Money has ceased to matter in the slightest bit.

imasupercheat
    ongies gonna ong
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ot-arab-spring

With all the talk of Russia juking the American election, it's nice to get a peak into how government agencies try to game current discourse.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ot-arab-spring

With all the lies of Russia juking the American election, it's nice to get a peak into how government agencies try to game current discourse.
    fyp
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm glad the world is so simple for you.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    I'm glad the world is so simple for you.
    My only wish is that it were so simple for everyone else.
    ongies gonna ong
    I stopped trying to make sense of this mad world years ago... Such a load off my mind.
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...er-review.html

Probably the worst possible outcome here.

I said this in the beginning, you don't want people holding out for huge sums when a flight is overbooked. That just makes air travel more expensive for everybody.

Think about it. 10G's, divided by however many people are on a plane (maybe 150-200?). Everyone's airfare just went up $50-$60 per ticket.

Thanks Dr. Dickhead. Next time just do what the fucking cops tell you.
    TIL I learned that in liberal cesspool known as Oregon, you need a license to criticize the government.

https://heatst.com/life/man-fined-50...lights-system/
    TIL I learned that in liberal cesspool known as Oregon, you need a license to criticize the government.

https://heatst.com/life/man-fined-50...lights-system/
    That's a bogus call, and the counter-suit will surely prevail.

He's right that they're essentially telling him that the reason his critique of the gov't was considered illegal is due to his use of math... not that his math was flawed, nor that his data or analysis was mistaken.
    I believe that in Oregon, you need a license to pump gas. As in, there are only full-service pumps in the state.

When I was working at a gas station in Seattle, the occasional Oregon driver would pull up and sit in their car for 5 - 10 minutes before coming into the store to complain that no one was serving them as a customer. I'd simply explain that in Washington state, we trusted them to figure out the incredibly complex process of using a gas pump.
    I believe that in Oregon, you need a license to pump gas. As in, there are only full-service pumps in the state.

When I was working at a gas station in Seattle, the occasional Oregon driver would pull up and sit in their car for 5 - 10 minutes before coming into the store to complain that no one was serving them as a customer. I'd simply explain that in Washington state, we trusted them to figure out the incredibly complex process of using a gas pump.
    I had the opposite experience. Full service gas stations are 98% extinct in my area. Once I drove to Atlantic City and stopped for gas in Jersey where all stations are apparently full-serve. I got out of the car and started pumping. A guy ran over and shut me down like I just crossed a picket line.

Here's a tip: If random passers-by can steal your job, you should get a better job.

Here's a tip: If random passers-by can steal your job, you should get a better job.
    DEY TURK R JUBS

but they didn't even have shoes
    I guess what I really wonder is whether training and licensing someone to pump gas actually means they are better at reducing the pollution inherent in the process.

From what I recall, gasoline fumes released to the air while fueling is a considerable portion of the pollution attributed to owning a car.

I wonder if these supposedly trained workers are actually more adherent to the environmental codes associated with pumping gas, and if that marginal difference is worth their wage.
    I wonder if these supposedly trained workers are actually more adherent to the environmental codes associated with pumping gas,
    I'm gonna bet the under. Heavily.
    I see it more as a cover-your-ass-anyway-possible kind of tactic.

Remember the related but unrelated MCD hot coffee incident? They are trying to account for that one fool with suicidal tendencies wanting to go out with a bang who decides to smoke at or near the pump

A person in his or her right mind cannot even fathom such a possibility, but as we know all too well, not everyone is in their right minds at all times. Don't come up with the "but it's never happened before" defense, because you know all too well that's not how it goes.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I see it more as a cover-your-ass-anyway-possible kind of tactic
    No. That's just the lie they told to cover up the real reason.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...ot_safety.html
    I see it more as a cover-your-ass-anyway-possible kind of tactic.

Remember the related but unrelated MCD hot coffee incident? They are trying to account for that one fool with suicidal tendencies wanting to go out with a bang who decides to smoke at or near the pump

A person in his or her right mind cannot even fathom such a possibility, but as we know all too well, not everyone is in their right minds at all times. Don't come up with the "but it's never happened before" defense, because you know all too well that's not how it goes.
    I'd have thought insurance prices would make a difference, doesn't look that way.
    The real reason is Americans are lazy and expect everything on a platter.
    ongies gonna ong
    The real reason is Americans are lazy and expect everything on a platter.
    At least we drive on the right side of the road!!

And the real reason has to do with lobbyists for the gas industry buying politicians.

I live in NH and we don't even have a seat belt law. You might think that's crazy, but fuck you, we Live Free or Die around here.

Driving un-seatbelted does absolutely nothing to affect public safety. It doesn't really affect anything that's within the government's purview. The only reason a state would enact a seat belt law, is if lobbyists for the health care industry offers money to a politician and asks "Can you make it so there is less broken people we have to fix?"

Here in the granite state we decided that we won't run our government like that.

Hence, we don't wear seat belts, or helmets, and we only have self-service gas stations.

A market free of government regulations and the influence of special interest resulted in the best solution for consumers.

Imagine that.
    At least we drive on the right side of the road!!
    We use both sides.
    They are trying to account for that one fool with suicidal tendencies wanting to go out with a bang who decides to smoke at or near the pump
    Good point, except for the fact a cigarette won't ignite gas - despite what you may have seen in the movies. Neither will a mobile phone for that matter, despite what you haven't seen in the movies.
    Good point, except for the fact a cigarette won't ignite gas - despite what you may have seen in the movies. Neither will a mobile phone for that matter, despite what you haven't seen in the movies.
    The mobile phone wasn't a movie thing though it was a weird omg science DANGER situation. They have a strange habit of going we don't know so don't do it no matter how improbable something happening is.
    And the real reason has to do with lobbyists for the gas industry buying politicians.
    While possible, it's really far fetched.

But still, you can never discount lobbyist influence and money in politics whenever you see (in your opinion) stupid shit going down.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Why do lobbyists from the gas industry want people to have to be hired to pump gas? If the article explains it (well) do so and I'll read it.
    Which is exactly why I believe it's very far fetched

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Why do lobbyists from the gas industry want people to have to be hired to pump gas? If the article explains it (well) do so and I'll read it.
    It's an opinion piece, not an article, so don't get too excited.

But basically, by forcing all gas stations to be full-serve, they eliminate the threat of a lower priced self-serve competitor.

It's the same reason that mom and pop merchants in little developing towns all get together and cause havoc at city council meetings whenever Wal-mart or some other low-price, faceless, corporate monolith wants to open a store in their town. These businesses refuse to accept or adapt to changing market conditions. They ignore the demand from their customers for cheaper alternatives and lower prices.

They simply want their own business to continue to run unopposed, free from threats, free from competition, and totally insulated from free market forces by a protective government.
    Which is exactly why I believe it's very far fetched
    LOL, how many states in America have seat belt laws

The exact same circumstances that you claim are far-fetched are what led to those laws being passed.
    A market free of government regulations and the influence of special interest resulted in the best solution for consumers.
    Sounds to me you subscribe to something not to far from anarcho-capitalism. Good for you. Now let me smoke this fucking spliff while you don't wear a seat belt.
    ongies gonna ong
    It's an opinion piece, not an article, so don't get too excited.

But basically, by forcing all gas stations to be full-serve, they eliminate the threat of a lower priced self-serve competitor.

It's the same reason that mom and pop merchants in little developing towns all get together and cause havoc at city council meetings whenever Wal-mart or some other low-price, faceless, corporate monolith wants to open a store in their town. These businesses refuse to accept or adapt to changing market conditions. They ignore the demand from their customers for cheaper alternatives and lower prices.

They simply want their own business to continue to run unopposed, free from threats, free from competition, and totally insulated from free market forces by a protective government.
    But in the gas station example they can do the exact same thing? The reason small family shops want to stop the big guy is because they can't compete. The gas station example just sounds like them wanting to increase their own costs for little/no reason.

I should make it clear that I 100% agree that they would do it if there was a benefit I just don't really see that benefit. I also think the family ran shops example you give is a good example of bad intervention for the consumer.
    Gas price varies from pump to pump in the USA? Figures

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Sounds to me you subscribe to something not too far from anarcho-capitalism. Good for you. Now let me smoke this fucking spliff while you don't wear a seat belt.
    There, FTFY little pigion

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Typo obviously. Typos are fine, stupity isn't. I know which one I should use.

usually I ninja that shit but you were too fast for me.
    ongies gonna ong
    Sounds to me you subscribe to something not to far from anarcho-capitalism. Good for you. Now let me smoke this fucking spliff while you don't wear a seat belt.
    Nah yanks are weird, anything involving government is a fuck you don't tell me what to do but at the same time the law is the law and bad things are bad.
    Gas price varies from pump to pump in the USA? Figures
    It's not like that everywhere? Who decides what the gas price is then?

Doesn't sound like it's a free market of consumers calling the shots. Enjoy hell.

Which is why I distrust every single corporation in the world. Good that you see this, even though I'm 95% sure you didn't know you saw it just yet, and will quote this post to oblivion on how much you disagree with

Every single one cares for just one thing: Profit.

And, if left unchecked, unregulated, and to do what they do best, this is the exact market position they strive for. Bankroll this behaviour (old money, previous gains, whatever) and other mini businesses, particularly mom n pop shops, are fucked right out of existence by lobbyist armies. Competition? Fuck 'em.

Impossible hamster much?

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    It's not like that everywhere? Who decides what the gas price is then?
    Who do you think?

Government.
    ongies gonna ong
    But in the gas station example they can do the exact same thing?.
    Switch to self-serve? Sure. But what do you think happens to profit margins when you decrease service and are forced to compete almost solely on price?

The reason small family shops want to stop the big guy is because they can't compete. The gas station example just sounds like them wanting to increase their own costs for little/no reason.
    They're doing more than just increasing their costs. They're providing more service. That means more revenue. And more profit.

I don't know about the nuances of the gasoline industry, but an overwhelmingly common practice in every business that I've ever seen is to apply mark-up as a percentage. In other words, if you want a 10% profit margin over your costs, then more costs means that 10% = more dollars.

For example let's say it costs the self-serve station $2/gallon to dispense gas. They mark it up 10% and sell it for $2.20, netting $0.20 in profit. Now let's say it costs the full-serve station, with it's higher costs, $2.10 to dispense gas. They mark it up 10% and sell it for $2.31, netting $0.21 in profit. In that example, the full serve station is making an extra penny per gallon over the self-serve station.

If it were left up to the market, that penny would go into the consumer's pocket, rather than a faceless corporate interest running the full-serve station.

Now, if the full-serve station is offering additional services and higher quality that people are willing to pay for, then fine. They have earned the extra penny. Good for them. Hard work paid off. That's great!

But what if the additional services/quality were not wanted by customers? Or what if they just don't care about those things as much as they do prices? Would it be right then if the full-serve owners used their extra penny to buy political influence and remove that choice from consumers?

That's extra extra extra fucking bad.

I should make it clear that I 100% agree that they would do it if there was a benefit I just don't really see that benefit.
    Open your eyes dude. Lobbyists are a thing. What 'benefit' do politicians see when they play ball with lobbyists?

The "benefit" doesn't always serve the public good. You're assuming that politicians only act in public interests. News flash! They don't.
    Last edited by BananaStand; 04-27-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Who do you think?

Government Saudis.
    Fixed your post
    Fixed your post
    Nope. Most of our petrol cost is tax. Like, the vast majority of it.
    ongies gonna ong
    Fixed your post
    LOL Banana, the world is a little bit more complex than you think

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!

Open your eyes dude. Lobbyists are a thing. What 'benefit' do politicians see when they play ball with lobbyists?

The "benefit" doesn't always serve the public good. You're assuming that politicians only act in public interests. News flash! They don't.
    This is why we can't have nice things. I don't see the point in your specific example as to the benefit this would give the lobbying group.

Anyone telling me to open my eyes whilst trying to have a normal conversation about something (of which I've made no claims against) is just incredibly off putting.
    Which is why I distrust every single corporation in the world. Good that you see this, even though I'm 95% sure you didn't know you saw it just yet, and will quote this post to oblivion on how much you disagree with

Every single one cares for just one thing: Profit.

And, if left unchecked, unregulated, and to do what they do best, this is the exact market position they strive for. Bankroll this behaviour (old money, previous gains, whatever) and other mini businesses, particularly mom n pop shops, are fucked right out of existence by lobbyist armies. Competition? Fuck 'em.

Impossible hamster much?
    No need to quote into oblivion. Let's say you suffer from intense delusional paranoia and leave it at that.

Sounds to me that when Wal-mart moves into a small town and displaces the long-standing locally owned hardware store, you see that as a bad thing. You disagree with the premise that allows consumers more choices, because it's more likely to negatively affect someone with a name, rather than a faceless corporation. That's totally irrational. Those consumers have names too. So do the people employed at the Wal-Mart.

You seem to think that a hardware store with a limited selection of higher priced items should never have to address those competitive disadvantages. You seem to think it's unfair for another store to offer a wider selection of lower priced items, along with the convenience of also selling t-shirts, tostitos, and Tv's all in one place.

You're also totally ignoring the boom experienced by any other business in proximity to the wal mart. Imagine owning a car dealership, gas station, or pizza parlor across from the Wally World. Easy game!

Finally, you're ignoring the fact that the mom n pop hardware store is basically dependent on Wal-Mart before wally every comes to town. Don't believe me?

Let's say the hardware store wants to sell shovels. They call up a shovel manufacturer and order 100. The shovel manufacturer says "Ok, they're $12 each". The HW store buys them, and sells them for $20 each.

What you're not seeing is that the shovel manufacturer is only offering a price of $12 because his operating costs are diluted by the 100,000 shovels that Wal-Mart ordered. Without Wal-Mart, mom n pop might have to pay $25 for their shovels, and sell them for $40. I doubt they'd even be in the shovel business at all at that price.
    Last edited by BananaStand; 04-27-2017 at 04:18 PM.