Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

spoonitnow's Awesome FTR Chat Room Log of Awesomeness

Exclamation spoonitnow's Awesome FTR Chat Room Log of Awesomeness

This is my thread for everything having to do with the FTR Chat Room and all of the great things that we're doing in there.

If you want to get connected, it takes about 15 seconds to do so. It's a two-step process:

Step 1: Go to http://www.esper.net/publicirc.php
    Step 2: Put flopturnriver beside of "Channel" and put in your username and then press connect

That's all you've got to do. There's a group of experienced guys in here all the time who are ready and willing to talk poker (and just about anything else) with whoever. We don't care if we know you or not, and we don't care if you're a new player or if you've been playing for a while.

If you like my strategy column, then you'll love the FTR Chat Room.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 01-30-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    [12:56] <@spoonitnow> hey savy
    [12:56] * spoonitnow slaps Savy with a big red brick
    [12:56] <@spoonitnow> what do you think of continuation betting like 1/3 of the pot often
    [12:57] <+Savy> what stakes?
    [12:58] <@spoonitnow> just generally speaking
    [12:58] <+Savy> stakes i play it's probablypretty bad because you're missing out on too much value
    [12:59] <+Savy> also gives people better odds to so they'll widen their calling range
    I'll be available today for players who want to come by and talk about anything from my strategy series. I'll see if I can drag some other well-known FTR players into the mix as well.
    I'll be back in this week. I'm all settled
    I'm going to probably be asking a lot of questions about TMoP so lots of toy games will hopefully get discussed which are AWESOME for your understanding of poker.

Will also be helpful if any of you struggle with the maths because I'm awesome at it and I'm happy to explain why stuff is how it is.

So you should all definitely come and join!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Will also be helpful if any of you struggle with the maths because I'm awesome at it and I'm happy to explain why stuff is how it is.
    [07:18] <Savy> how does y = (P+1)(1-x) go to
    [07:18] <Savy> 1 - x = y/(P+1)
    [07:18] <Savy> lol nvm
    Please don't forget to post hands in the BC for those of us that aren't students, pros or work from home gents - the BC is dying lately and nobody wants to see FTR get killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Please don't forget to post hands in the BC for those of us that aren't students, pros or work from home gents - the BC is dying lately and nobody wants to see FTR get killed.
    No one is really posting hands in there atm except Cobra (who's gone from like 5nl to 50nl since posting in there) and he usually links to the thread on here (which I think is a good idea).
    Yeah nine times out of ten the following steps happen:

Step 1: Come to IRC
    Step 2: Talk poker and get better
    Step 3: Rocket up through the stakes
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Yeah nine times out of ten the following steps happen:

Step 1: Come to IRC
    Step 2: Talk poker and get better
    Step 3: Rocket up through the stakes
    I'd be surprised if that happens without the help of posting here. IRC and FTR together is what has made anyone I know of successful. I don't know anyone that made it with just IRC
    No one is really posting hands in there atm except Cobra (who's gone from like 5nl to 50nl since posting in there) and he usually links to the thread on here (which I think is a good idea).
    I think there is a correlation here. Anyone care to explain it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I think there is a correlation here. Anyone care to explain it?
    The only people who frequent the chat room except Cobra are Sah, me, Renton and M2M? It's not like there are people posting in there who aren't also posting on here.
    I meant that Cobra was the predominant poster in the BC and is also the one that managed to move up the stakes as a lot of posters and Regs of this forum have done in the past. I'm currently adding several testimonials from Legends like gabe, number2intheworld and ISF that shows that posting and discussing poker with the great people on FTR is key to success. IRC is a great thing too, don't get me wrong, but you reach more people, more opinions and get far more debate here. Not to mention, we need new blood in IRC all the time or it dies off same as FTR. I think the two of them together would allow anyone to climb from $5NL to $50NL in less time than any other method except maybe paying for a coach.
    When I was moving up in stakes back in the day I was posting 1-2 hands on FTR after EVERY session. I see no reason why everyone in here shouldn't have at least one hand to post PER session. There's no way you had a whole session without some difficult spot unless it's a 100 hand session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    When I was moving up in stakes back in the day I was posting 1-2 hands on FTR after EVERY session. I see no reason why everyone in here shouldn't have at least one hand to post PER session. There's no way you had a whole session without some difficult spot unless it's a 100 hand session.
    I think the act of posting hands is one of two ways that makes you improve. Also when you are posting you will be reading and analyzing other posted hands and threads that will be very helpful
    I highly suggest that people do both, but I've seen people who only posted hands for a while struggle until they started coming to IRC and talking to people in a less restrictive format.
    That is my point Spoon. Don't just jump onto IRC and think that will be the be all end all fro progress. Use both tools. You will excel and Cobra is a perfect example of that. You did it, M2M did it and back when I played higher stakes I was here, on IRC and involved in a ventrillo channel. I also had freinds here on FTR I talked to on AIM, MSN and skype/teamveiwer. The study aspect was always on the go.

Since getting back into playing a little myself I have been stuck at the micros because I've done little to progress as far as any of these.
    I get lonely during the american times , come join me ! Tough for me to post alot of hands bc of playing on bovada and it just complicates stuff so much .
    I'll be in there for most of the day myself today
    I logged in, got busy and forgot. I will be back by sunday again
    [07:18] <Savy> how does y = (P+1)(1-x) go to
    [07:18] <Savy> 1 - x = y/(P+1)
    [07:18] <Savy> lol nvm
    lol awesome
    i did a math degree once
    but brackets and moving around an equals sign = some complicated shit!
    Bamboozled by brackets.