Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Wimped out

Ok, I know I should have ordered the hand history for this one, but noted a bit of tilt and decided to stop for the night and have a beer! $25 NL PP table--(full 10 players)--stack sizes range from $7 - $65(only one stack large) tossed several hands including A4o (very tempted but stuck to strategy for game) Finally dealt KK mid position, only limpers to me,,,raised $1 and only two others stayed....flop J 5 5 early position player bet $4, next player folded and i also folded. Based that call on no info on this player except had not shown bluffing prev...but also on showdowns he would have at least two high cards? Table was typical loose and only couple players showed any aggression in the past 30 mins of play. My chip stack was at $17 (amount bought in with) So did i cave?
    Prev play from past few nights also contributed to this decision-- been beaten with KK and AA.
    Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Wimped out

Ok, I know I should have ordered the hand history for this one, but noted a bit of tilt and decided to stop for the night and have a beer! $25 NL PP table--(full 10 players)--stack sizes range from $7 - $65(only one stack large) tossed several hands including A4o (very tempted but stuck to strategy for game) Finally dealt KK mid position, only limpers to me,,,raised $1 and only two others stayed....flop J 5 5 early position player bet $4, next player folded and i also folded. Based that call on no info on this player except had not shown bluffing prev...but also on showdowns he would have at least two high cards? Table was typical loose and only couple players showed any aggression in the past 30 mins of play. My chip stack was at $17 (amount bought in with) So did i cave?
    Prev play from past few nights also contributed to this decision-- been beaten with KK and AA.
    Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Wimped out

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Wimped out

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Wimped out

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Wimped out

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Default Re: Wimped out

Quote Originally Posted by gacowboy
    Input welcomed.
    gacowboy
    Marginal call either way. I bet ttanaka would have raised . I usually default to a $2 raise pre-flop unless there is a lot of money on the table. Then I'll raise the amount of money plus $1-2. Adjust upwards if you have pre-flop calling station(s) at the table. Once there is a good $2-3+ on the table, I don't feel so bad about taking down a pot without a flop. I will also make that raise on marginal hands after sitting down if no one else has raised yet to show action on it. It's human nature to show my first raise more respect than my second, third, etc. one. So on a tight table, my first raise is only likely to be called by premium hands, so losing a little on hands like ATo early pays me back later. Also it gives me a better feel for the pain threshold of the table earlier so when I get the monster I have a better idea how to get the match-up I want.

After a larger pre-flop raise calling down that bet would be more correct. He probably had a Jack, pocket-pair or was bluffing. I would expect a check or a weak bet if he really did have the 5.

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy
    Marginal call either way. I bet ttanaka would have raised . I usually default to a $2 raise pre-flop unless there is a lot of money on the table. Then I'll raise the amount of money plus $1-2. Adjust upwards if you have pre-flop calling station(s) at the table. Once there is a good $2-3+ on the table, I don't feel so bad about taking down a pot without a flop. I will also make that raise on marginal hands after sitting down if no one else has raised yet to show action on it. It's human nature to show my first raise more respect than my second, third, etc. one. So on a tight table, my first raise is only likely to be called by premium hands, so losing a little on hands like ATo early pays me back later. Also it gives me a better feel for the pain threshold of the table earlier so when I get the monster I have a better idea how to get the match-up I want.

After a larger pre-flop raise calling down that bet would be more correct. He probably had a Jack, pocket-pair or was bluffing. I would expect a check or a weak bet if he really did have the 5.

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

Input welcomed.
    gacowboy

I agree marginal call either way, pot was probably around $4.

lol, would I have raised?... hmm... I don't know, probably not given the pot size and bet size. However, I definitely would have raised pre-flop a bit more (at least $2). If the pot was larger compared to that bet, I would have re-raised.

Was the early position player in the small or big blind? If so, he could have been holding one of those magical 5's, but as Fnord states, I would expect a small bet or check for deception, unless two of those cards were suited and he wanted to press the action.

If I had to guess given the limited amount of info presented, I would put him on a Jack, and probably would have made that call to see what he would have done the next round. If he came out big again (compared to pot size), then at that point I may have folded.

I can understand getting a little timid after taking some tough beats, but hands do not get much better than KK, so you gotta try to take advantage when you can.

I like to take a drink every time I lose a hand, I lose some money but I win the beer, so it's always a win-win situation! lol... keep at it cowboy.

lol, would I have raised?... hmm... I don't know, probably not given the pot size and bet size. However, I definitely would have raised pre-flop a bit more (at least $2). If the pot was larger compared to that bet, I would have re-raised.

Was the early position player in the small or big blind? If so, he could have been holding one of those magical 5's, but as Fnord states, I would expect a small bet or check for deception, unless two of those cards were suited and he wanted to press the action.

If I had to guess given the limited amount of info presented, I would put him on a Jack, and probably would have made that call to see what he would have done the next round. If he came out big again (compared to pot size), then at that point I may have folded.

I can understand getting a little timid after taking some tough beats, but hands do not get much better than KK, so you gotta try to take advantage when you can.

I like to take a drink every time I lose a hand, I lose some money but I win the beer, so it's always a win-win situation! lol... keep at it cowboy.