Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

HUSnG, micros, Tracking villain's frequencies...?

Default HUSnG, micros, Tracking villain's frequencies...?

Not sure if this is the best forum for this HU question. I did a search on "husng" and this forum appeared to be the one most related...

I'm wondering what's the best way to go about picking up on villain's frequencies. For instance, let's say that it's a given (we just don't know it yet) that villain follows the following 3 patterns:

1)... open raising his button about %80.
    2)... folding about %60 or more in the BB.
    3)... 3betting preflop about %25.

I've only played around 1,000 matches so maybe I just need more volume until a lot of basics become second nature and my memory is freed up to focus more on keeping track of frequencies. I'm wondering what's a minimally acceptable number of observed hands before you can make an educated guess as to what villain's frequencies are?

From the 3 given patterns above: 1) ... to pick up on something that happens %25 of the time I'd need at least four hands (1 out of 4) to tell but that seems hardly like a valid sample size (idk)? Eight hands would be even better and I'd also have some confidence in my estimation but I can't (as of now) accurately keep track of several frequencies out of the last 8 to 10 hands that villain played?

So, I'm wondering what's the preferred method to track maybe 3 or 4 different frequencies? Is it more like just playing the first 5 or 10 hands and then using your best judgement as to how many times villain has open raised, open folded, and called 3bets preflop and IP? The first several hands of a match are probably a poor indicator of how villain is playing towards the end, if the game is long enough. So if 8 hands is a small enough but reasonably acceptible number to track, then my estimation would always be based on the most recent 8 hands.

For the most part, I currently just always keep a side focus on the most recent 8 hands and then estimate how often villain is open raising, open folding, or calling bets, etc. But my memory isn't all that so I started wondering if most good players are able to keep several side counts. Like, let's say that you want to track villain's preflop open raising, open folding, and calling 3bets...

Is it within the limits of average brain power to keep track of 3 different #/# records while also nonchalantly playing and adjusting in the moment without having a stroke? This would only be used while single tabling, I guess. I don't see how anyone could do it for around 4 tables with any hope of accuracy.

Sort of like, as each new hand is played, the side counts of villain's preflop IP "open raising", "open folding", and "3bet calling" are something like 3/4, 1/4, and 2/4. So villain would be open raising %75, open folding %25, and 3bet calling %50. Is that the ultimate frequency reading goal or is it more normal to just make the best guess for all three frequencies out of the last 4 or 8 hands played?
    plenty of tools out there to track all of this stuff for you - google Holdem manager - they do a 30 day free trial
    Yeah, I'm going to get either HEM or PT when there's more opportunity for U.S. online HUSnG players. I was watching the DogIsHeadsUp series and a couple of other video episodes where they used to be HUDless and still crush the competition. I imagine the downswings were a lot more volatile than with a database, I just wondered how experienced players like that went about the process of keeping tabs on villain frequencies.

I really have no idea, but I think the most viable option for me, since I'm a relative beginner, would be Bovada, and they have anonymous tables and don't support databases. The site I'm on now also does not support databases. Are there any other sites available to U.S. HUSnG microstakes players that you would recommend ?