Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

The Official MMA thread. (spoilers!)

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Oh and knows everything about mma
    i wish i knew everything about mma
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Popularity of a fighter does not really affect my appreciation for them. I read a ton of MMA material because I really enjoy the topic, and when I see abysmal, seemingly pathological nuthuggery en masse, I get irritated.

Take for example, Fedor. He's very good. In fact, he's arguably the most overall talented MMA of all time. But if you talk to his nuthuggers he's this unstoppable force that flies out of the ring after he eviscerates his opponents. Yet when you examine the game, you see that he's actually not head and shoulders above many other fighters despite appearances. I'm fine with hyperbole when it's pertinent, but when attempting to analyze the game, hyperbole needs to take a back seat. The problem is that among the vast majority of MMA fans, hyperbole does not take a back seat during the analytical process, and it just gets retarded how over or underrated fighters get.

As for Silva, let's see how well he does the first time he fights somebody with elite level striking who is not intimidated by him. Also, Silva has tricked a whole lot of people simply by virtue of being the only person who goes out there to dance around. I recall Werdum doing some 'matrix' stuff vs Big Foot, but nobody noticed because the angle was bad and he wasn't making a spectacle of it like Anderson does. It's not like Silva has the market cornered on athleticism and talent. In fact, I think that Maia does a whole ton better in a rematch simply due to not being intimidated and knowing that his gameplan must involve lots of striking. Watch the 4th and 5th again, Maia opened up his striking a little bit, Silva was not gassed (despite what Rogan says, unless you think a gassed fighter will throw out spinning back kicks), yet Maia showed that he could hang with at least the Silva that fought those rounds. Maia probably even won those rounds

you must hate BJ
    re: the spider coasting to victory - just do it. I want to see him win 50 fights in a row. Will fans of MMA still be complaining about his fight plan then? Give me a break, he is maximizing his chances of winning. GSP, Anderson, and Machida, all have this same mindset. I for one love the chess match of it all.
    I'll have to side with BID here. So not all his fights end in spectacular knockouts? So he doesn't take huge risks and go balls out just to please Dana and his fans? So he didn't want to commit and risk get taken down by a 5-time BJJ world champion whose ground game is out of this world? Yes, this is what champions do in established sports to win, Silva just doesn't realize MMA isn't one of those yet. Maybe some day it will graduate from pure entertainment to sports, and the biggest stars are the most talented and smart fighters, not only those who do everything to please the crowd.

Sure, it wasn't the most entertaining fight after the first 2 rounds, it was basically a repeat of the Leites fight. Don't hate the players, hate the game. If this should be unacceptable behavior the rules should reflect that, bring in the yellow cards or something.
    The rules do reflect it, but they're not always enforced for various reasons, and those reasons have more to do with loopholes and lack of experience than in lack of desire to enforce. On top of that, the market reflects the unacceptable behavior anyways by lost interest and revenue

This is actually no different than any other sport. What Silva did is like if a baseball team that felt they were so superior to their opponents purposely held the bat backwards half the time then scored just enough runs early on in order to do nothing in the latter stages of the game. You could defend their actions by saying they played smart or whatever, but reality is that their actions would be the opposite of smart due to lost fans and revenue. Can you imagine how many baseball fans would be piiiiiiiiiiissed if they thought the guy up to bat wasn't trying his damnedest to hit the ball as hard as he could?

We watch sport because we want to see the athletes perform to their peak, and the vast majority of athletes realize this. Silva is in the few who apparently thinks that he can avoid performing to his peak abilities and still have fans. I seriously doubt he hasn't learned some kind of lesson by now. He's literally become more of a heel than anybody in the sport, and if he does it again he's fired.

Also, if you examine it, you'll find that other sports don't involve actions like Silva's much at all. At first glance, it may appear that athletes are sometimes not giving it all to win decisively and please fans, but that's not really true. Resting your starters because they need to heal up for the playoffs is entirely different than avoiding contact because you landed more jabs this round
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I'll have to side with BID here. So not all his fights end in spectacular knockouts? So he doesn't take huge risks and go balls out just to please Dana and his fans? So he didn't want to commit and risk get taken down by a 5-time BJJ world champion whose ground game is out of this world? Yes, this is what champions do in established sports to win, Silva just doesn't realize MMA isn't one of those yet. Maybe some day it will graduate from pure entertainment to sports, and the biggest stars are the most talented and smart fighters, not only those who do everything to please the crowd.

Sure, it wasn't the most entertaining fight after the first 2 rounds, it was basically a repeat of the Leites fight. Don't hate the players, hate the game. If this should be unacceptable behavior the rules should reflect that, bring in the yellow cards or something.
    i dont disagree. what happens in the ring is a product of the rules.

i want yellow cards and point deductions for refusing to engage. i dont want the 10 point must system. i want knees on the ground.

i don't have a problem with silva fighting to win (if i believed that I had a problem with that before, i have changed my mind). i have a problem with the rules allowing him to win in this fashion.

i don't think i watch MMA because people get KTFO. i'm pretty sure i watch it because I enjoy watching people perform their skill set. I don't think disengaging is a skillset that the rules should encourage.
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc View Post
    i don't think i watch MMA because people get KTFO.
    Well then you and I are on two different wavelengths. Peter....Griffin.... thanks for coming out.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    The rules do reflect it, but they're not always enforced for various reasons, and those reasons have more to do with loopholes and lack of experience than in lack of desire to enforce.
    Currently only regarding inactivity on the ground, and to a lesser extent in the clinch. Nothing in the rules says anything about running away. In some sports this is called a defensive strategy, in MMA it's currently called coasting. It doesn't impress drunken rednecks which I'm afraid makes up a large chunk of the paying customers, which makes it unpopular. I'm not saying I like it, just that it's well within the current rules and Silva would be from this perspective stupid not to take advantage of that, his market value suffering from this is of course a whole different matter. However, does it lower his worth as a fighter because of that? No.

On top of that, the market reflects the unacceptable behavior anyways by lost interest and revenue

This is actually no different than any other sport. What Silva did is like if a baseball team that felt they were so superior to their opponents purposely held the bat backwards half the time then scored just enough runs early on in order to do nothing in the latter stages of the game. You could defend their actions by saying they played smart or whatever, but reality is that their actions would be the opposite of smart due to lost fans and revenue. Can you imagine how many baseball fans would be piiiiiiiiiiissed if they thought the guy up to bat wasn't trying his damnedest to hit the ball as hard as he could?
    I assume you don't watch hockey? What you're describing is the NHL throughout the 90s, with the defensive clutch teams dominating the league. It wasn't particularly spectator friendly, but how can you blame the teams? That's kind of like saying a tight poker player has no skills because he's just maximizing his odds, not tossing all in every chance he gets and bluffing like stupid fucking bluffing cunt.

We watch sport because we want to see the athletes perform to their peak, and the vast majority of athletes realize this. Silva is in the few who apparently thinks that he can avoid performing to his peak abilities and still have fans. I seriously doubt he hasn't learned some kind of lesson by now. He's literally become more of a heel than anybody in the sport, and if he does it again he's fired.
    But if a sport loses popularity it's typically not because of the athletes, it's because of the sport that's become stagnant and boring. What Silva is doing is basically nothing more and nothing less than what GSP and Fedor are doing.

Also, if you examine it, you'll find that other sports don't involve actions like Silva's much at all. At first glance, it may appear that athletes are sometimes not giving it all to win decisively and please fans, but that's not really true. Resting your starters because they need to heal up for the playoffs is entirely different than avoiding contact because you landed more jabs this round
    I think it's unfair to say he quit or didn't try. Maybe he was playing safe, but maybe he just got tired and maybe even got a bit rocked by Maia's looping swings. When you're playing high stakes for championships where even a small slip can cost you everything, playing defensively when you're ahead is not exceptional, it's the norm.
    I respect your opinion, and this is not an issue I want to debate

In other news, bring the gangsta in to clown the clown

Just to spit Silva's nuts out of my mouth, I actually think Sonnen has a decent chance of beating him. He's got a good chin, he's tough as nails and his wrestling is solid. If he gets Silva on his back, which I think he can (his total neutralization of the overweight Paolo Filho's lay'n'praying ass was mad impressive), I think Silva will be in loads of trouble.
    I agree, however, I think that Sonnen should lose the fight. The reasons for this are that Silva is actually a pretty terrible matchup for Sonnen because Silva has literally perfected his sprawl and brawl capacity. Sonnen will chase him down, but Silva will be like super Chuck playing a very solid TDD and effective countering. I also suspect that Silva WILL look for the KO. If it's at all true that he hates being disrespected, he will find Chael giving him a verbal beating of all time.

Another thing that Chael has going against him is that he's too one-dimensional. Sometimes this isn't a problem when it comes to the one-dimensional fighter's ability to fight dynamically if they have to, but it allows his opponent to train correctly quite easily. IMO this is why BJ lost; he's shown in his last few fights that he has no desire to do anything other than box, and this allowed Frankie's camp to focus on countering that. In BJ's case, his ego was so huge that he even disregarded his corner's input. If BJ comes back trying to fight with a gameplan with the kind Fedor uses (take the fight anywhere and everywhere, attack weaknesses) then I think he wins the rematch

Anyways, what I'm saying is that Silva's camp has a gameplan handed to them on silver platter due to Sonnen's one-dimensional strategy, and that's a big advantage for Silva

I would adore a Sonnen win though. Probably the guy I want to beat Silva most, actually. Other than Vitor, I guess. I was watching Vitor back in his UFC debut, always been a fan, and I legitimately think that this new new Vitor is the real old new old Vitor or whatever. It's unpossible to look like you have better striking than what he displayed in his last two fights. But I would love to see Silva lose to Sonnen's awesomely epic trash talking ass.

If, however, Silva comes back with a vengeance and puts on good fights, I will gradually become a fan once again. All I really wanna see is balls to the wall awesomeness, really
    So pumped for tonight. Aoki/Melendez is the second most anticipated fight announced for 2010. Silva/Vitor was the previous second, but got cancelled, and Machida/Shogun 2 is ldo #1

Aoki loses. He's too one-dimensional, and that dimension matches up terribly with somebody like Gil especially given that he trains with guys like Nick and Shields (who no doubt do everything that Aoki can do, but probably better), and he's from Cesar's camp therefore he's unsubbable. Poor Aoki gonna get sprawl n brawled and probably even out wrestled. He has a lot working against him actually. Things like no pants, no ring, stagnant and overrated JMMA, etc

Mo is one of the first of new breeds of MMA talent. His physical abilities are like that of a linebacker, and all things being equal, somebody from Mousasi's gene pool cannot hang with that. Mo has excellent wrestling which will dictate time and place of fight, but he's also shown to be an incredibly fast learner. He may not have better striking or sub defense than Mousasi, but it's not going to be that much worse, and he's going to win simply by being more gifted. I feel sorry for Mous since he's awesome, and if he does win it'll make him easy top three in LHW. It would also be a win for the little guy IMO given that reality is that as selection pools grow, guys with Mousasi's genes will be weeded out, like what's happened in NFL for example. I'd like to think that MMA is so talent based that it will never become battlegrounds for the most fit DNA, but I do not think that is the case. Eventually, fighters like Mousasi will be losing to fighters like Mo. It's sad, but it's also reality. I'm on the Mo wagon simply because I think he's gonna win, but I really like Kermit the Frog so I can't really root against him, and in all honesty, I would love to see Mous win. Kinda like how I think Fedor gets smashed by the new breed of HW, but I'd still love to see him win because it would be a victory of hard work and brains over genetic gifts, and that's just cool

Shields is gonna perform better than people think. He'll be good at avoiding serious danger in the standup, I suspect his will be improved as well, and Shields has shown that he's simply very good at what he does. That said, Hendo *should* have the advantage, but he won't if he uses bad gameplanning. If Hendo tried to mimic Chuck he wins all day. I think Hendo is confident enough in his mega clinch that he is overly aggressive and ends up getting taken down more often than he should, but if he focused on maximizing his clinch defense I think the fight barely even hits the ground, and Hendo's got five rounds to work the KO. Not sure who I want to win this one. I like Shields and him winning is interesting, but can't root against Hendo cuz he's just fucking cool. A Hendo win is better for my boy Jacare anyways since it'll make Jacare's win over Hendo when they meet more appreciated. Jacare is the #1 MW in the whole wide world afterall
    This is actually no different than any other sport. What Silva did is like if a baseball team that felt they were so superior to their opponents purposely held the bat backwards half the time then scored just enough runs early on in order to do nothing in the latter stages of the game.
    The difference between the best baseball team and the worst baseball team is significantly lower than the difference between the best fighter and the worst fighter.
    Drew, it's a hypothetical, so the reality of the current games doesn't apply

Mayhem knows how to treat a woman for sure

Wow wasn't expecting a Shields victory
    Lmao only just found out about the post fight brawl.
    Brawl was awesome, Diaz are awesome, Mayhem is awesome, as usual

YouTube - Strikeforce: Nashville Brawl Slow Motion
    Not gonna lie.. I'll lol so hard if Rogers KOs steroidreem.
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello View Post
    Not gonna lie.. I'll lol so hard if Rogers KOs steroidreem.
    I'd possibly stop watching MMA.

GOATereem should win approximately 99% of the time if he keeps his ego in check and sticks to the correct gameplan, but should probably still win about 85% of the time even if he goofs around. I'll be amazed if Ultraeem doesn't demolish Rogers so badly that it makes Fedor's win over him look B level

He is literally the worst possibly matchup for Rogers. Rogers would have an easier time fighting Brock or Carwin, but would still get crushed.

YouTube - Alistair Overeem training for Brett Rogers

If Overeem loses, I will cry
    Overratedreem itt
    i hope overeem loses so you stop with the homotastic nicknames for him

edit: or one of you die, or you lose your password
    Last edited by dthorne04; 04-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    Gracie Breakdown: UFC 111 GSP vs Dan Hardy
    YouTube - UFC 111 GSP vs. Dan Hardy (Gracie Breakdown)
    Anybody know a good stream for WEC tonight?
    channelsurfing.net or atdhe.net
    Zombie fight best fight EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke999 View Post
    Zombie fight best fight EVER
    THIS x100000000000 Too bad he got fucking robbed by the judges.

Problem officer...?
    Yeah that was like a 30-27, 29-28 at worse.
    How good is Aldo?

Faber's leg after his fight with Aldo.
    this ones better

T minus 8 or 9 hours until the most awesome rematch ever
    got money on cote, mitrione, daley and machida. im not sure if daley at +210 was worth it but getting paid and seeing koscheck lose at the same time would be too sweet
    Yessssssss
    Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Problem officer...?
    war shogun woot
    immediate news from tonight:

Paul Daley cut for his ridiculous cheap shot, Kimbo apparently cut as well.
    Not surprising. Expected actually.
    Making an example only due to all the stuff they said about the strikeforce brawl. Funny though really, get rid of Daley for a cheapshot but sign Shields who did the same...?!?!

Yeah thank god Kimbo was cut
    cmon daley obv did more wrong than shields. koscheck proved again that hes a little bitch though
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    cmon daley obv did more wrong than shields. koscheck proved again that hes a little bitch though
    all of this
    yeah wife fell asleep but I made her watch round 1 of zzzzz Koscheck fight this AM just so she wouldn't be confused why I was hating him during TUF
    meh, it's almost identical to the way GSP fights these days and was the best gameplan

daley needs to learn how to do work from the bottom imo

i'm pulling pretty hard for rampage to destroy rashad (which he will), then face shogun. silva will annihilate sonnen, then hopefully first big fight of the new year=anderson silva vs shogun rua for the lhw title in the fight that should be every mma fan's wet dream (mine included)

but it's the ufc, and after couture beats up on james toney, won't be entirely surprised if they give him the title shot
    Last edited by dthorne04; 05-09-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dthorne04 View Post
    meh, it's almost identical to the way GSP fights these days and was the best gameplan

daley needs to learn how to do work from the bottom imo

i'm pulling pretty hard for rampage to destroy rashad (which he will), then face shogun. silva will annihilate sonnen, then hopefully first big fight of the new year=anderson silva vs shogun rua for the lhw title in the fight that should be every mma fan's wet dream (mine included)

but it's the ufc, and after couture beats up on james toney, won't be entirely surprised if they give him the title shot
    Followed by random arm breakage during a takedown followed by Randy vs Chuck IV.
    Go go power rangers!

YouTube - Jason David Frank -- Rage in the Cage, May 8, 2010

He needs some actual competition imo, not 0-1 scrubs.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    winner of page vs. rashad gets shogun, it's official. great success.
    Rogers by piss test
    Rogers by piss test
    lolz
    i like how the strikeforce hw championship just means who gets to fight fedor next

i hope it's overeem so people will shut the fuck up about his over-rated ass
    he demolished the other big black guy
    Fedor v Overeem will be after the Fedor v Werdum fight, they didn't give Fedor the shot on his first match because strikeforce wanna get a hype train and loads of money leading into the fight, pretty simple business shit really.

Rogers beat Arlovski and was super hyped, he has no ground game or any technical ability, don't know why anybody gave him a chance vs fedor or overeem. When Gonzaga beat Cro Cop im surprised people weren't giving him p4p best fighter ever.
    don't know why anybody gave [rogers] a chance vs fedor or overeem
    yea but to his credit he had fedor in trouble
    If the round 1 armbar was succesfull it would have been no different to any other of his fights (like vs coleman), after those 3 GnP hits he did nothing after that anyway minus like 2 knees against the cage in round 2.
    The presence of blood just made it look worse lol.

Overeem saw Rogers off in much easier fashion, but Rogers looked rather scared of getting KTFO tbh.
    when?
    Rodgers is fucking terrible vs anyone who isn't 6 inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter than him. Worst title shot I have seen in a while.

Problem officer...?

HAHA YOU LOST TO TIM THE FATASS SYLVIA GO BACK TO CARRYING BIG ROCKS FAGGOT
    “I’ve been asked if it’s been difficult finding workout partners like my opponent who is 280 pounds with 4-percent body fat and gases-out after 45-seconds. Yeah, my workout partners don’t usually gas-out after 45-seconds.” -- Tim Sylvia on opponent Mariusz Pudzianowski.
    i was rooting hard for crocop. lol at the finish though.
    The 45,000 hammerfists to Barrys face before the submission were gold.
    i was rooting hard for crocop. lol at the finish though.
    Yeah I agree.
    Apparently Canada threatened to deport Cro Cop.... 'Cro Cop' fought after threat of deportation - Cagewriter - UFC - Yahoo! Sports
    Cyborg fight was hilarious, there should have been about 20 stops that fight. Damn is somebody gonna look ugly when they wake up.

Cung Le was fun as always, Smith looked gassed after his initial onslaught.

And god damn what an anti-climatic way for Fedor to lose, jumping headfirst into Werdums guard, urgh silly bad man. I think he was mistaken about Werdums status, diving in for a kill that wasn't there. Oh well shit happens, 1 mistake vs somebody that good on the ground and wham.
    Last edited by Luke999; 06-27-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    that was such an embarrassing display of ground game. i swear to god fedor threw that fight. (i know he didn't, im just saying, omg that was ridiculously bad).
    that was such an embarrassing display of ground game. i swear to god fedor threw that fight. (i know he didn't, im just saying, omg that was ridiculously bad).
    I'd laugh my ass off if he did.
    Schaub is a douche, Lesnar is improving
    Last edited by Luco; 07-05-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    He moves like a welterweight, his speed and transitions from escape to fetal position are ungodly

Baddest man on the planet my ass, Cain to win next fight.
    He moves like a welterweight, his speed and transitions from escape to fetal guard are ungodly

Baddest man on the planet my ass, Cain to win next fight.
    fyp
    I was talkin about his mouth
    Brock will trounce Senor Pillowfists.
    So that's it? I mean, Carwin totally dominates first round, runs out of gas in the 2nd, and loses due to submission. No rematch?

By the way the Akiyama / Leben fight was insane. May be among the best I've ever seen. What a finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penneywize View Post
    So that's it? I mean, Carwin totally dominates first round, runs out of gas in the 2nd, and loses due to submission. No rematch?

By the way the Akiyama / Leben fight was insane. May be among the best I've ever seen. What a finish.
    Yeah we're totally due a rematch after that. Did not settle the issue of who the better fighter was at all to me.

+1 on the sexyama / leben fight
    Carwin won in first round.Ref shoulda called it after a minute of Lesnar not fighting back imo.